Their second meeting

[HIATUS] Defle(x)tion

It's been so long and I'm finally back with a new chapter. Sorry for the very long wait. This chapter was written ~4 months ago but was left halfway done. I had just finished writing the chapter yesterday. Thank you for being patient and for continuing to support my story. 


Chapter 23

 

They were surrounded with silence as they both awkwardly stood facing each other with a distance between the two of them. Amber stayed near the door while Seul Hee comfortably leaned towards the dresser in the room so she won’t put pressure on her leg too much.

 

“You don’t have to stay standing up. You can sit, I don’t mind.”

 

With that, Seul Hee made a move to sit on the bed and carefully put away her crutches where she can easily retrieve them and made sure they won’t fall before returning her attention to Amber. Although Amber was the one who suggested having a private talk, she can’t seem to start a conversation. She had lots of things to ask and tell her but now that she was alone with her, nothing came up in mind.

 

“You must be curious about how Hwa Min-unnie and I are connected. Actually, she was the one I was waiting for back then.”

 

“I see, but I don’t recall having a student by that name in the school.”

 

“That very day, she had transferred out but she forgot to tell me. That’s why I was stood up that time. Unnie knew Hye Gi-ssi from her new high school,” she explained.

 

“So that’s how it is. From your manner of speaking, you don’t know Park Hye Gi personally?”

 

We’ve met a couple of times when I helped Hwa Min-unnie with her volunteer work. Sometimes, I saw her in the hospital after her appointment but that’s it.”

 

“How did she seem when she got out of the doctor’s office?”

 

“I didn’t see her every time but she looked fine.”

 

“You don’t have to answer me but how did you come to know Song Hwa Min?”

 

“Unnie used to live nearby and we often hang out at the park. She was like a sister I never had and I spent most of my childhood with her.”

 

Hearing this made Amber realized that she was just a little girl back then, living life to the fullest and just starting to have fun and that by failing to protect her, it cost the little girl her time that could never be regained. She lost the time to work towards her dream and she was held back at school because her attendance wasn’t enough for her to move up a grade. The pain she felt – both physically and mentally – could never be erased from her memory and she had to mature more quickly than the norm to overcome her trauma.

 

“How are you managing right now? It must have been very difficult for you and your mom.”

 

“It’s been three years since then so I’m doing fine now. I don’t deny that it was difficult and I had a hard time adjusting to the situation. I couldn’t do what I normally can and it frustrated me to the point that I almost gave up on myself. Through it all, my mum and Hwa Min-unnie was by my side and they never gave up on me. They’re the reason I picked myself up and started rehab.”

 

“Saying sorry wasn’t enough compared to what you had to go through and you have every right to hate me. I deserved it. I’m sorry that I dragged you into it and I’m sorry that you get hurt. I’m sorry to have disappointed you with my incompetence. I have more things that I’m sorry about but in the end, there’s one thing I need to thank you for. Thank you for surviving through it and not giving up on yourself. Thank you for living on,” Amber let out everything she had kept deep in her heart and bowed to her former student.

 

“I don’t hate you, teacher. I might be furious at you but I’ve never hated you.”

 

Amber raised her head in surprise at the confession, puzzled by it.

 

“You taught me that life is full of ups and downs, it’s full of surprises, full of laughter and tears, full of love and hate. What’s most important is that having a life is more than just living, it’s about experiencing everything that life has got in store for us.”

 

“My student is all grown-up. Just when did she become so mature?”

 

“Ey, teacher! Don’t be like this; you’re so weird acting serious. It doesn’t suit you.”

 

“Alright kid, let’s go back to the living room. I’ve got work to do.”

 

f(x)

 

In the living room, Victoria has started her interview with Song Hwa-Min and while at it, she had observed her every action, every expression and every gesture she made carefully. Being in the workforce for so long, it was normal for her to be able to detect any lies and so far, Song Hwa-Min was telling the truth. No stuttering, no flinching, no exaggerated gestures. Just grieve. Victoria has become way too familiar with the look of a grieving family or friend and the lady in front of her is no exception. Victoria sincerely said her condolences and even extended her hand to give the poor woman a handkerchief.

 

“I’m really sorry to ask this but where were you yesterday between three to six a.m.?”

 

“If it’s that early, I was still sleeping.”

 

“Can anyone attest to that?”

 

“Umm, no. I live alone. Seul Hee just came yesterday and stayed the night.”

 

“When was the last time you saw Hye-Gi? Or went to her house?”

 

“Last week I think. She came by the office to discuss about the upcoming competition. About going to her house, it has been a full year since I visited her. She’s always travelling after all and I’m busy too. Maybe you’ll have better luck asking Do Hee.”

 

“Shin Do Hee?”

 

“Yes, with everything that happened to the poor girl, Hye Gi’s always hanging out with her. I think Hye Gi saw her younger self in Do Hee.”

 

“Alright, thank you for your co-operation.”

 

With impeccable timing, the ‘teacher’-student duo returned to the silent living room. Seul Hee went to sit by Hwa-Min and automatically took her hand in hers while Amber stood next to the sofa where Victoria was seated, peeking into her notepad to see the progress of the interview.

 

“Sorry, one more question. Do you ever take a science major or minor?”

 

“I’ve never been good in sciences. I avoided it like a plague.”

 

“I think that’s everything. Thank you for your co-operation. Here’s my number if there’s anything else,” Amber concluded as she gave the grieving woman her name card.

They excused themselves after making sure to finish the tea – as a polite gesture – and made their way back to their car, this time Amber’s driving. All of a sudden, a thought popped up in Amber’s mind as she unlocked her car.

 

Vic-unnie volunteered to drive my car. Why? I knew the address. Could it be that she knew that I drank last night?!

 

Since they were both in the car, Victoria was wondering why Amber didn’t start up the engine just yet and was instead spacing out. She gave her a few minutes before snapping her finger in front of the still-dazed Amber.

 

“Are you okay? What happened with the girl?”

 

“Ah, it’s nothing. We talked and sorted stuff out. It’s resolved already.”

 

“Then what’s bothering you?”

 

“Umm.. Vic-unnie. About last night…” Amber trailed off.

 

“What happened last night?”

 

“Uh, it’s nothing. Don’t worry about it!”

 

She caught on. As expected of my junior. I’ll pretend I don’t know.

 

“Next, Yang Hyun Jin.”

 

 

 

 

 


Author's note: Again, sorry for the overdelayed update. I've finished my exam and will hopefully be able to update the story once a week. Thank you for your patience. This case will wrap up in 2-3 more chapters. I'll try to improve as I write.