Culprit and the Operation

[HIATUS] Defle(x)tion

Chapter 13- End of case #1

 

 

In the interrogation room, Sun Hi sat on the chair opposing a detective who brought her in for questioning, in which she readily went with her. The detective just sat there without saying or asking anything and was reading some case file, as if she was ignoring her. A phone beeped and she excused herself out of the room so that the assistant was left alone in the room.

 

She wiped her sweaty hands on her skirt and her eyes were darting around, obviously nervous. It was inevitable because it’s not every day you were about to be interrogated. She can’t stand to sit so she stood up and was pacing around the room, looking at the two-way glass window every now and then.

 

When the door swung open, her attention went straight to see who had entered the room.

 

“Have a seat, Sun Hi-ssi. I believe I had introduced myself earlier.”

 

“Yes, detective Song.”

 

“That’s right. Let’s start with the questioning. First of all, where were you on July 28 between 9 to 10 pm?”

 

“I was home, watching the TV.”

 

“Is there anyone that can attest to it?”

 

“No, I live alone.”

 

“Next, I’ll let you watch this video.”

 

Victoria gave a signal to someone beyond the glass window to play the tape.

 

Sun Hi appeared to be surprised when she realized what the questioning was all about. She was pretty shaken when the video paused at her face on the monitor, clearly showing that she was breaking into her higher-up’s office.

 

“How would you explain this?”

 

“I.. I..”

 

“When we researched more into your background, we noticed that you had worked at another company but transferred to the Han’s three years ago.”

 

“That’s right. It was my father’s company but it went bankrupt when the Han Company rejected the proposed project. It caused the company to lose billions because the main investor backed out and instead supported the Han’s! The person in-charge at that time was the chief manager.”

 

“So you resented him for it, but you didn’t kill him right?”

 

“I did it. I killed him, He deserves to die. Because of him, my father started drinking and got home drunk every day. One day, he got into an accident because he was disorientated and crossed the road when the lights were red.”

“Then, who is your accomplice? According to the other videos we found, there was a man breaking-in.”

 

“He has nothing to do with this. I’m the one who killed chief.”

 

“What happened that day?”

 

“When he finished work that day, he left me a message to meet him at his house so I thought that it was a chance to finally get rid of him. I went to his house and he confronted me, saying that he had a recording of me breaking-into his office. I panicked and stabbed him with a kitchen knife.”

 

“Why didn’t you search for the video? There’s no sign of you trashing his place,” Victoria questioned.

 

“I was scared. Even though I thought of avenging my father, I still can’t register that I killed someone so I ran out.”

 

“Did you bring the knife with you?”

 

“No, I left it in his body.”

 

“That’s weird because we didn’t find the murder weapon anywhere in the house.”

 

Sun Hi was left speechless and she was genuinely shocked at the revelation. Seeing this, Victoria was convinced that someone had cleaned up after her to make sure that she wouldn’t get caught. Unfortunately for the

person, the video recording of the break-in existed.

 

“Sun Hi-ssi. You are arrested for the murder of Han Daewan. Give up the name of your accomplice and your sentence can be reduced,” Victoria offered.

 

“He has NOTHING to do with this! Leave him alone.”

 

“Officer, her to the holding cell.”

 

 

D  E  F  L  E  ( x )  T  I  O  N

 

 

Zhoumi was strapping on his bulletproof vest and inspected his rifle to make sure that it was fully functional and loaded. Around him, there were about twenty other men who were equipped just like him and checked to see if they were at the same frequency for communication via the radio.

 

“Test, test. This is Alpha One to Team Bravo.”

 

“Affirmative. This is Team Bravo.”

 

“Alright guys. We are on an operation to raid Mafia VI hideout. I repeat, this is a raid operation of Mafia VI hideout. Keep the formation and don’t fall behind.”

 

“Yes sir!”

 

 

D  E  F  L  E  ( x )  T  I  O  N

 

 

Amber was at her desk, typing up the case report on Han Daewan. She had felt that something was amiss with the way the assistant persistently deny the existence of an accomplice. It made her very curious as to who would go all the way to the victim's house just so that Sun Hi's name can be cleared of suspicion. She exited the HQ database to research more into the company that the assistant worked at before moving to the Han's. 

 

With the keywords 'Han' and 'transferred' in the search engine of the Han company's website, she clicked the enter key. 

 

Bingo!

 

Another name aside from Sun Hi popped up and it must not be a coincidence that they worked together at Sun Hi's father's company at the same time. She left her laptop still on the page and called Victoria to come with her to arrest the suspect. 

 

Young Jun. 

 

By the time they reached his house, he was patiently waiting at the front door with his hands ready to be handcuffed. When he saw Sun Hi got into the patrol car an hour ago, he knew that everything's over. He wrote letters addressed to his mother and to President Han, apologizing for what he did and seeking for forgiveness. 

 

"Young Jun-ssi, you're under arrest for being an accomplice for the murder of Han Daewan."

 

/-/

 

"Young Jun-ssi, why did you clean up the scene?"

 

"That's the least I could help her."

 

"Were you two going out?"

 

"No, we're not. I'm her half-brother but she didn't know that. She would have hated me if she had known."

 

 

 

D  E  F  L  E  ( x )  T  I  O  N

 

 

 

He tossed in a tear gas grenade into the room and kicked down the door to let his team in. Inside, there were about thirty men holding their eyes in pain and was fidgeting to get their weapon. Some managed to get their firearm and blindly shoot everywhere to defend themselves from the ambush. Since the news got out that the boss’ right hand, William, was arrested, they were all in panic and had planned to skip the town but they were abandoned. They were used as pawns and to distract the authorities. Of course, they didn’t want to do it but being in jail sounds better than being hunted for ‘betrayal’.

 

Zhoumi and his team managed to get the situation in control and disarmed everyone; he had to knock some unconscious with the blunt end of his M16 rifle. His team secured all of them and called in for back-up to haul them into holding cell. Zhoumi took off his helmet and searched around to see any clues that might have been left behind but he didn’t find anything except for a small note fallen to the ground.

 

Tough luck, team leader. We’ll meet when the time is right. It seemed that the fish was just a feint. The game is only starting.

 

A cold chill went down his spine and he spun around to make sure no one saw him holding the note. He hid it into his pocket and head over to his team.

 

“Have the CSU sweep through the room. I’m going back now so handle the rest.”

 

“Yes sir!”

 

He went back to his car – he brought his own car and didn’t carpool with the others – and revved the engine before driving away from the hideout. Even though the aircon was on, he was sweating and he gripped his steering wheel so tightly, like his life depended on it. When he was stopped at the red light, he speed-dialed a number and put on his Bluetooth headset to his ear.

 

“Code red. When light’s out, do a scan in my office and the Special Unit’s meeting room. We have a pair of ears listening in.”

 

 

“I’ll leave it to you. Thanks.”

 

 

 

 

Note: This is the end of case #1. I just started on the next case 2 days ago so maybe next week's update will be slow. My writing style may also change a bit. Don't worry it's still me writing. 

Thanks for reading everyone. Thanks for the support.

 

[Can't wait for Amber's solo debut, 16.02.15]