Interviews

[HIATUS] Defle(x)tion

Chapter 10

 

"Good evening, how may I help you?"

 

"Evening. We're from Seoul PD and we're here regarding the late Han Daewan-ssi."

 

"Right this way. The president had given orders to help show you around and co-operate accordingly. After I showed the late chief manager's office, his assistant will continue from there on."

 

They followed him into the elevator and he clicked the button for the fifth floor. The silence was awkward for the receptionist and he tried not to look too nervous.

 

"Are you close with the chief manager?"

 

"No, he didn't talk much and if he ever did, it was all business."

 

"Do you notice anything different about him recently?"

 

"I guess so. About a month ago, he started to leave work earlier than usual but at times, he confined himself in the office way past working hours. It was unusual but no one said a thing since he could just be pressured about the new project."

 

The elevator dinged as they reached their intended floor and they all got out of the metal box. The receptionist, Young Jun , led the way as he turned right and went straight passing the hallway and turned another right, entering the office. He held the door open and Victoria thanked him before entering the office herself, followed by Amber. Inside, there was another door towards the chief manager's room and just beside the door, a computer desk was placed on which a name plate 'Sun Hi, assistant chief manager' sat. A young woman in her late twenties stood in the middle of the room wore a dark blazer over a denim blouse and a black pencil miniskirt was gesturing for them to have a seat on the sofa present in the room.

 

"Greetings, detectives. I'm Sun Hi, assistant of the late Han Daewan-ssi."

 

Victoria extended her hand to shake her hand and introduced herself, "I'm Detective Song and this is my colleague Detective Liu."

 

Amber repeated after Victoria's action decided to just stand and inspect the room, paying little attention to the interview going on. She let herself into the inner office after getting permission from the assistant. The office felt familiar to her and she recognized it as the one in her vision and she crouched down to the ground to see if any debris from the break-in was still there. But nothing came up, much to her disappointment. She lifted herself from the ground and brushed her hands together to get rid of the dust when she saw a photo frame on the victim's desk. She took a closer look and smiled lightly when she saw the photo. It was a family picture of the Han and they were all there: Han Sook (the father), the two younger versions of the brothers and their mother, who was sitting on a wheelchair. They looked like any typical family on an outing, just enjoying their time together. Amber found herself asking what had changed since then, why they had drift apart and what caused them to act the way they are now.

 

Most probably the death of their loved one. Each had their own way to cope; one might stay depressed, one would immerse themselves into work and one might as well take their own lives.

 

Amber sighed at her sullen thoughts and continued to look around the office. She can't be acting emotional - not now and not if she could help it. She decided to see where Victoria was going with the interview and went out of the office. Victoria looked directly at her, asking a silent question through her eyes, and she got a nod as a response.

 

"Is there any break-in recently into his office?"

 

"A break-in? There was no such thing. Everything was fine and the security is very tight here," Sun Hi reassured but was puzzled by the sudden question.

 

"I must say that we have to thoroughly process the room for any evidence linked to his death."

 

"That would be okay but you must ask for clearance from the President to view the project if necessary."

 

"I'll get the CSU to process the room," Amber said as she withdrew her phone from her coat pocket.

 

"Thank you for your co-operation. Is the president in or did he take a leave?"

 

"He was on leave earlier but returned to work after lunch.  I'll lead you to his office."

 

"I need to leave unnie. Just share everything with me later."

 

"Right. Go on ahead. Sorry I can't give you a ride."

 

"No problem."

D  E  F  L  E  ( x )  T  I  O  N

 

 

Sulli was waiting at the front door for Amber to pick her up and she was alone. Krystal had offered to give her a ride but she declined, saying that Amber had promised to bring her home that evening. Krystal went ahead with Jessica and that was ten minutes ago. With nothing to do, she opened some game app on her phone and started playing it. She was about to win the game when someone surprised her by touching her shoulders.

 

"Sulli!"

 

"Jiyoung-ah! You scared me and I lost the game," whined Sulli.

 

"Sorry. I thought your class ended early. Why are you still here?"

 

"Just waiting for my sister to pick me up. You just finished?"

 

"Yup! Too bad, I was going to invite you to hang out with me but never mind. I'll wait with you."

 

"Really? I'm free tomorrow so we can go out unless you had something planned."

 

"My schedule is clear tomorrow. Let's meet up at the park? What about Soojung?"

 

"She's also free. I'll call her up later and tell her about it."

 

"I think that's your ride. I'll see you guys tomorrow!"

 

"Bye, Jiyoung-ah. See you!"

 

A white sports car stopped in front of the entrance and the window scrolled down.

 

"Oh, Jiyoung. Hello."

 

"Hello, Amber-unnie."

 

"Do you want a ride?"

 

"Thanks but I'm just gonna take the bus. I need to stop by somewhere."

 

"Alright, if you say so. Sulli, hop in!"

 

Sulli waved at her best friend and get into the car. She buckled up and returned to her game. Amber didn't mind her and drove their way home.

 

"Sorry if I'm late. I went to pick my car at the HQ first."

 

"It's alright. Me, Soojung and Jiyoung are going to hang out tomorrow. Do you mind?"

 

"Of course not. Have fun but don't stay out too late. If you're going for a sleepover, tell me beforehand."

 

"I will. Can I play the song that you composed last week?"

 

"Sure, the CD is at the glove compartment. Labeled No.17."

 

"Wow, that many? You could have made a living off this," Sulli commented as she inserted the disc into the player.

 

"That's what Vic-unnie said too. I'll consider it."

 

She had stopped at the red light when Luna called. Figuring that the light will turn green in any second, she answered the call and put it on loudspeaker.

 

"Oh, Luna what's up?"

 

"Regarding the code, I think I might have cracked it."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yes, but I need the book. The clue might be in there."

 

"Alright, I'll be there in 30," Amber replied, glancing sideways to Sulli.

 

"It's fine. I can wait so just go straight to wherever she is," Sulli spoke up.

 

"Is that ...  Sulli?"

 

"Hello, Luna-unnie. Yes it's me."

 

"You heard her. I'm heading there now."

 

"Got it. Sorry for disturbing."

 

"Don't mind it."

 

D  E  F  L  E  ( x )  T  I  O  N

 

"So you've known of the large debt?"

 

"Dae.. Daewan tried to hide it from me but I'm still the president so I would know. I even wanted to get it solved as soon as possible but when I found out that he had borrowed money from the loan sharks, I know it was too late. Loan sharks like them bites and never let go. Daewan will never be able to pay the interest," Han Sook said in agony.

 

"I'm sorry but would you happen to know the loan sharks?"

 

"They're the ones who drove my father-in-law to bankruptcy! Of course I would know. The organization is called the Mafia VI, as weird as it may sound."

 

"Did your sons know of this?"

 

"No, me and my late wife hid this fact from them, afraid that they will go down the wrong path trying to avenge their grandfather."

 

"I see. Thank you for your co-operation and I'm terribly sorry for your loss," Victoria said her condolences.

 

"Please, detective, bring whoever killed my son to justice."

 

"We'll do our best."