8. The Beast is Almost Slain

Oh! Are You Late Too?

Chapter Eight

"I can't believe you forced me to come along," Min pouted. Her complaints were ignored by both her friends, who were busy trying to find some good seats. Huffing in frustration, Min followed them, sitting with them somewhere in the middle. She sat at the end of the row, Jang Mi next to her and Taehyung next to Jang Mi. They each had drinks but Taehyung was the only one with popcorn.

"Shush, it'll be fun," Jang Mi waved a hand in dismissal.

Min frowned, rolling her eyes. Jang Mi had suggested that they go to a football match – which was completely out of character as she never cared for sports – and of course Taehyung had been up for it. Min had stated that she wanted to stay home but they had told her that if she didn't come, they would post an embarrassing video of her online. She knew that they weren't bluffing because she'd seen the video and it was horrendous; she had been drunk and not realised that she was being filmed.

"Do you guys even know the rules of football?" Min asked.

"Nope," they both replied at the same time.

Sighing, Min looked onto the field, glancing at all the players. There were loads that she recognised, like Luhan or Gikwang as they were famous on campus. Looking around more, she spotted something that made her turn to Jang Mi with her eyebrows raised.

Jang Mi ignored her for a while but eventually gave in. "What?"

"You totally dragged us here for Jeon Jungkook, didn't you?"

This got Taehyung's attention as he also turned to stare at Jang Mi with raised eyebrows. Grimacing, Jang Mi looked around for an escape. Unable to find one, she settled for grabbing a handful of popcorn and stuffing it into . With the popcorn in , she shrugged, saying some intelligible things.

"I knew it," Min exclaimed, bouncing in excitement. Redirecting her attention towards the field, she noticed that Jungkook was looking in their direction. He waved at them, causing Min to have a smug grin, Jang Mi to choke on the popcorn still in and Taehyung to wave back excitedly.

Laughing at her friends, Min tapped Jang Mi's back in an attempt to help her stop choking. "Can't believe you forced me to come to a football match just to see him," Min scoffed.

Jang Mi rolled her eyes, forcefully swallowing the popcorn remaining and spluttering, "I didn't come here to see him. He invited me."

"Same thing," Taehyung added.

Jang Mi glared at him a second before turning back to Min, "But you can hardly speak, Min. I mean remember-"

"-don't even say what I think you're gonna say," Min threatened, holding up a finger at her.

Jang Mi closed , lips pursed. She turned to look at Taehyung, giving him a look as if she wanted to say something. Taehyung seemed to understand as he blurted, "How you stalked Min Yoongi."

Min's eyes widened as she glared at them, looking around to see if anyone had heard. "Yah! Don't say that so loud."

"Sorry," Taehyung grinned, looking not at all sorry. Min wanted to put her head in her hands in frustration but she didn't, instead choosing to pout at her friends. They had already moved their attention towards the field, watching as the players warmed up. Sighing, Min decided that she might as well try to watch the match; maybe she would even grow interested in it.

That wasn't the case at all as she zoned out after ten minutes of the game. Bored, she glanced at her friends to see that both of their eyes were following the ball. She was about to nudge Jang Mi when a voice at her side said, "Popcorn?"

Shocked, Min turned to see Suga sat at her side, holding popcorn out to her, an innocent smile on his lips.

"No," she replied, narrowing her eyes at him and pushing the popcorn away from herself.

He shrugged, "Your loss."

She was going to ignore him but he kept chewing loudly and 'accidentally' nudging her when he moved. Taking a deep breath, Min tried her best to focus on the match; he was making it extremely difficult for her. Unable to take it anymore, she scowled at him, "Why are you here?"

"To watch the match," he smiled innocently, "My friend is playing."

Glaring at him, she frowned, "No, I mean, why are you sitting next to me?"

"Why? Is this seat taken?"

"That's beside the point."

He looked at her for a little while before sighing, "Well you won't pick up my calls."

She snorted, "Why would I? In fact, how did you even get my number?"

"That's beside the point," he smirked, using her words against her.

Glowering at him, she did her best to look away and at least pretend to focus on the match. He wasn't chewing loudly anymore or nudging her but she could feel his eyes on her – which was even more distracting.

"Just say what you want to say then," she snapped.

"Look, I'm sorry for blaming you on the phone. I'm just not very good at expressing myself properly."

"Okay?" Min raised an eyebrow in question.

"What I really wanted to do that day was ask you if you might-" he stopped, as if the words were stuck in his throat.

She frowned, "Might what?"

Taking a deep breath, he spoke really quickly as he answered, "If you might want to produce some songs for the showcase with me."

Not sure if she'd heard him correctly, she blinked, "Huh?"

"You heard," he glared at her.

"I did but I'm just slightly confused. Why do you need my help?"

Sighing, he rubbed his temples. "That song you helped me with turned out amazing – one of the best songs I've ever produced. I hate saying this but… I… I think we make a good team." He had to force out the last sentence as if it hurt him to say it. Min was shocked; she hadn't expected him to say anything of this sort – especially not after that phone call.

When she didn't reply, he looked at her, "So what do you say?"

"Yes!" Taehyung shouted. They both turned to see Jang Mi and Taehyung watching wide eyed. Seeing that they'd been caught, Jang Mi moved her eyes to the field, trying to look immersed in the game. Taehyung didn't even try to hide his stare, grinning widely.

Min glared at him, whispering to him, "When did I say I would?"

He pouted, "Oh come on, you should audition for the showcase."

"You’re just saying that because you don't want to audition alone," Min accused.

Taehyung gasped in over exaggerated offense, "Am not!"

Jang Mi scoffed, ditching her ruse of watching the game to join the conversation. "Are too."

"I can't believe you guys are ganging up on me," Taehyung complained.

Rolling her eyes, Jang Mi whispered, "I'm not ganging on you. Plus, I agree with you. I think Min should go for it."

"Now I feel like I'm being ganged up on," Min pouted.

"It's a great opportunity," Jang Mi shrugged, "And isn't this what you wanted from the beginning? To work with him?"

"She's got a point," Taehyung chimed in.

"Well if we're on the case of who should audition for the showcase, I think you should," Min told Jang Mi.

"What?" Jang Mi glared at her.

"You're an amazing singer and you're missing out on an opportunity to show that to everyone."

"She's got a point," Taehyung added, agreeing with Min.

Jang Mi frowned at him, "Yah, whose side are you on?"

Realising that both girls were looking at him with annoyance, he chuckled nervously, "I'm on Min's."

When he noticed Jang Mi's murderous glare, his eyes widened and he chuckled more, "Did I say Min? I meant Jang Mi."

That did no favours for him as both girls were now looking at him with the fury of a woman scorned. "Sides? What sides?" he continued chuckling, using Jang Mi's tactic and stuffing his mouth with popcorn. His tactic failed as they both continued to glare at him. They probably wouldn't have stopped if weren't for someone clearing their throat loudly at the side.

All three of them paused, turning slowly to see Suga watching them with confusion and impatience. Min opened , unsure of what to say. He probably wouldn't have heard their argument as it was all whispered but he knew that they had been talking about his offer. Talking with her friends hadn't helped her much as they said the opposite of what she wanted to hear. Even though she knew they were right, she still wanted to say no, simply to spite Suga. Knowing that probably wasn't a good idea, she sighed.

"Fine."

His eyes widened in excitement, "Seriously?"

"Seriously."

"For real?"

Rolling her eyes, she huffed, "For real. But I have some conditions."

"Sure," he nodded, vigorously, "Whatever you want."

 Min raised her eyebrows in surprise. Grinning evilly, she replayed his words over and over in her head. She had the urge to release an evil laugh but knew that was weird and it was something only Taehyung would probably do.

"Goal!" she heard someone shout, just as she thought, whatever I want.

Yawning, Jimin struggled to keep his eyes open. He was relieved when the match ended, allowing him to stand and stretch. His eyes still felt heavy but it was much more bearable than when he had been sitting down. He found himself regretting his choice to stay up late teaching himself a dance routine, wondering whether it was worth it.

"You didn't even watch any of that, did you?" Hoseok accused him.

He frowned, "Of course I did."

Hoseok didn't believe him – he could tell from his judgemental stare. Raising an eyebrow, Hoseok asked him, "Okay who won and what was the score?"

"Um…" Jimin paused, doing his best remember anything from the match. His mind was failing him, much to his despair but he really didn't want to prove Hoseok right; he wouldn't let it go for ages, using it as ammo to make fun of him with. "The score was two for us and one for them?" he guessed.

He watched Hoseok's reaction warily. To his surprise, his friend just scowled at him in disappointment, proving him that he'd been right. He held back a grin as he noticed that Hoseok had stomped away and did his best to catch up with him in the crowd. Luckily, his friend hadn't gotten far and he was able to reach him, throwing his arm around his shoulder.

"You can't lose me that easily," Jimin grinned, attempting to grab him in a headlock. He succeeded, Hoseok trying to push him off playfully. After a considerable amount of time, Jimin stopped messing around with him, feeling triumphant; usually it was him being messed with. The two both walked to the locker rooms, in search of Jungkook.

Jimin looked around, a small frown on his face. "Hey, where did Yoongi go?"

Hoseok's eyebrows furrowed as if he'd only just noticed that he was absent. Shrugging, he replied, "I don't know. He said he was going to the toilets but-"

"-yah! Why'd you leave me?" Yoongi's voice cut off Hoseok.

The boys turned to look at him, eyebrows raised in surprise. "Speak of the devil," Jimin smirked, eyeing Yoongi with suspicion. Hoseok did the same, both boys crossing their arms and staring at him with questioning eyes.

"What?" Yoongi's eyes flicked between the two of them, seeming anxious.

"Where did you go?" Hoseok questioned.

Laughing nervously, Yoongi responded, "Toilet."

"That's your final answer? The one you want to stick with?"

Yoongi nodded, looking as if he was trying to seem unsuspicious. He failed as the other two shared a look of disbelief before deciding to drop it. Jimin was curious but he knew that he wasn't going to find anything out from Yoongi by asking him – he had to want to tell him – which may never happen.

Several guys left the locker room while they were waiting; Jimin was beginning to get impatient. He wondered what could be taking Jungkook so long, as he was the one who always demanded they wait for him. Sighing he looked around, spotting people leaving and some people also waiting around. There was still a few people in the stands, sitting around and talking. He scanned the faces, surprised to see his little sister.

She was sat with her two friends – she'd been friends with them since childhood so he recognised them straight away. Telling the guys that he would be right back, he headed towards them, a smile on his face. He got there pretty quickly, sitting next to Minyoung.

"Min," he said, attracting all their attention, "It's been a while."

Min looked surprised to see him but she also seemed pleased. She hugged him tightly, knocking the breath out of him. She'd always been like a little sister to him, always hanging around with Jang Mi, it was impossible for him to not grow fond of her.

"Taehyung," he added, making eye contact with the boy. They both stared each other down, neither wanting to submit. He and Taehyung had always had a strange relationship – they were like brothers who fought often. It was almost always about stupid things as well but even with their little disagreements, Jimin couldn't deny that he cared for the boy.

Jang Mi scoffed, breaking their stare off, "You guys never change."

"Change is for the weak," Taehyung exclaimed, causing everyone to give him a look of confusion.

"I don't think that's the phrase," Jimin frowned, "I'm sure it's supposed to be-"

"-shush, don't worry about it," Jang Mi reassured him, "Just let him think what he wants – it's no use to try and correct him."

Jimin's frown faded slightly as he nodded, remembering back to the days when they had been little and Taehyung would say the weirdest things. Jang Mi was right when she said that he hadn't changed much but it was a relief to Jimin that he had kept his happy attitude – especially with everything going on with his family.

"What's up, Jimin?" Jang Mi asked, just as his phone vibrated to say he had a text. He ignored the text, focusing on his sister.

He shrugged, "Just thought I'd say hi and also ask if you wanted to go visit home with me again on Wednesday?"

She raised her eyebrows in surprise, "Really? I mean, Dad will be home…"

Jimin paused. He knew that he would be home and yet, he still wanted to go. If being completely honest, he kind of wanted to see him again but he wasn't sure if he was ready. A lot had happened between the two of them and while Jimin wanted to bridge the gap, he was scared to even look him in the eye – let alone talk to him.

"I know," he finally replied, "I… I think we should see him."

"I don't know, Jimin… I haven't spoken to him since…" she drifted off. Jimin noticed how Min grabbed a hold of her hand and Taehyung put his arm around her. They both knew what had happened and Jimin was glad that she had them for support.

"It's fine if you don't want to," he said.

She shook her head vigorously, "No, no, I'll come," pausing, she added, "I'll come." It seemed as if she was telling herself more than him but he nodded anyway, smiling reassuringly at her.

"Great, I'll let Mom know," he smiled before standing up and dusting himself off. "I'll talk to you later," he told her, then waving at her two friends, "I'll see you guys around."

They looked up, smiling at him and waving. He turned back then, making his way down the stand. As he did this, he pulled his phone out, to check the text. It was from Hoseok:

Don't worry, we didn't leave you, we're just at that burger place around the corner. You better get here before your food gets cold

Jimin smiled, speeding up his pace. His stomach growled in encouragement and he was glad that his friends had ordered him food; he was starving.

Jungkook watched his friends laughing from the outside of the diner. They threw about food and were generally rowdy, making him wonder how they hadn't been kicked out yet. It was quiet outside, not many cars passing by; it made the ringing phone by his ear sound even louder. As it rung for longer, he worried that she wouldn't pick up.

"Jungkook?" Jang Mi's voice could be heard through the speaker. He released his breath – not realising that he had been holding it.

"Hey," he said, putting his face in his palms because that was lame. He retracted his face quickly, scolding himself for worrying about that – he and her were just friends.

"What did I do to deserve the honour of your call?" she joked.

He smiled, "I just wanted to say thanks."

"What for?" She sounded confused.

"Coming to my match," he replied, "I wanted to talk to you in person but my friends rushed me away before I could find you."

"Oh, don't worry about it, it's no big deal."

Jungkook was confused – most girls he knew would have been angry that he invited them somewhere only to leave without even talking to them. Jang Mi didn't even sound the least bit bothered by it and he wasn't sure whether that made him happy or not.

"Did you enjoy it?" he asked.

"Yeah, it was surprisingly interesting."

Jungkook raised his eyebrows, "Surprisingly?"

He heard her laugh, causing him to smile. "Yeah, I'm not usually into sports."

"But this time you were?"

"I guess, but to be honest, I had no idea what a lot of those fouls were for."

He chuckled, teasing her, "Does shoving someone over not seem obvious enough to you?"

"Yah, I don't mean that – and actually, while we're on that topic, I've seen a new side of you Jeon Jungkook."

"You mean my amazing, unbeatable, athlete alter ego?"

She snorted, "No. I mean you're violent, kick-whoever-has-the-ball alter ego."

He gasped in mock offense, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You don't? You mean you don't remember that yellow card you got?" Jang Mi challenged.

"No, I don't. I think we both went to different matches," he joked.

She laughed again and his smile grew to a grin. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, Bruce Banner."

Jungkook found himself laughing really hard at her 'Hulk' reference. He was growing increasingly happy that he'd called and that she'd picked up. He couldn't even begin to imagine his embarrassment if she had rejected the call. Shaking his head, he wondered why he cared so much.

"As much fun as I'm having jogging your memory, I have to go. It's Friday night so you know what that means!" she announced.

"Party?" he asked.

She snorted, "I wish. I skipped out on pretty much every party this week working on this biology project and I can proudly announce that the beast is almost slain."

He laughed, "Almost is not enough I guess. I'll see you around?" Jungkook wasn't sure why it had come out like a question – but it had, much to his dismay. He waited, hoping she wouldn't think he was asking her out or anything.

"Yeah. So wish me luck, I'm going in and I may never return," she joked, saying everything dramatically. He chuckled, hearing the phone click afterwards. He stopped laughing, a smile still on his face as he stared at his phone. Frowning, he shook his head. What was going on with him?

Author's Note: Hellooooooooo ^.^ here's chapter eight and some more couple action for you. Just in case anyone's wondering, the use of stagenames depends on whose point of view it is, so for example, Min uses stagenames whereas Jang Mi doesn't. With that being said, I hope you enjoy the chapter (my next update will be either Thursday or Friday). Subscribe if you like and comments are greatly appreciated. See you next time ;) (P.S. If you can't tell, I at chapter names x_x lol)