6. Stolen Mojo

Oh! Are You Late Too?

Chapter Six

Jungkook watched his friend curiously, as he picked up his phone yet again to send another text. He had to admit, ever since his meeting with Joo Jang Mi he had been texting her regularly – they were becoming good friends – but Jimin was taking it to another level. All weekend he'd been texting, as if he didn't care for the friends he was with. It had to be a pretty important girl for him to be like this.

"Jimin," Jungkook called, trying to get his attention, "Jimin."  

Jimin put the phone down, looking at Jungkook expectantly. Not saying anything for a while, Jungkook just narrowed his eyes suspiciously at him, hoping to make him slightly nervous. They were silent for a while, the only sound being the chatter in the coffee shop.

"What's up?" Jimin smiled happily at his friend.

"You've been on that phone non-stop, who are you texting?"

Picking his phone back up, Jimin redirected his attention to his phone, mumbling, "My little sister."

Jungkook's mouth fell open in shock as he watched his friend continue to type away. In all the time he'd known Jimin, he'd never heard of a little sister. "You have a little sister?" his eyebrows raised.

Jimin nodded, "Mmm-hmm."

Jungkook's mouth fell open wider, "Since when?"

Jimin didn't seem to notice how surprised Jungkook was as he continued typing, giving Jungkook a confused look as he said, "Since nineteen years ago."

Nineteen?! Jungkook was alarmed. How could he not know about one of his closest friend's sibling? What kind of friend was he? To make matters worse, she was his age. What if he'd slept with her in the past without realising? There were so many girls he'd been with that had the last name 'Park'. It was common, which meant it could have been any one of those girls.

"Does she go here?"

Jimin nodded, "Mmm-hmm." Putting the phone down, he smiled at Jungkook as he explained, "I haven't really talked to her in like a year so we're catching up."

Jungkook's eyebrows furrowed, "How come? If she goes here couldn't you see her every day?"

Jimin's smile fell as he stared at the table. Clearly Jungkook had said something wrong as his friend looked sad and angry all of a sudden. Looking back up at him, Jimin clearly did his best to mask it. Smiling while shrugging, "Circumstances made it difficult. But that's all in the past now."

"Huh," Jungkook replied, knowing there was more to the story than Jimin was telling. He knew that there had to be a reason that talking about it made him sad as Jimin was usually a really happy guy but he also didn't want to force him to tell him things he didn't want to. He would talk about it when he felt like it and right now he didn't really seem to. Let's change the subject, he thought.

"So, are you auditioning for the showcase? The audition date was posted last Friday."

Nodding, Jimin responded, "Yeah, I saw it. Are you auditioning?"

Jungkook snorted, "What do you mean? I'm not a MAP student."

Jimin rolled his eyes, "Yeah but you could be."

Sighing, Jungkook frowned at him, "We've been through this before."

"I know, I know," Jimin replied, holding his hands up in a defensive gesture. "I just don't see why you need to make this decision alone… but let's not talk about that." He could sense Jungkook's negative aura and he wanted to quickly move off his degree choice.

"You know… the poster says you can still audition even if your degree isn't a music or performing one," Jimin blurted.

Jungkook glared at him, tired of discussing the subject. It didn't help that earlier that day, he'd received a text from his mom inviting him home for dinner. Everyone was going to be there, her, his dad and his two older brothers. That only meant that he would spend the evening being told about how great it was working in sports and how it was the family route to go down.

"You just worry about your own audition," Jungkook scowled, pushing his chair out and standing quickly. Jimin sighed, looking at him in disappointment as he walked away. At that point in time, Jungkook couldn't care less. He wasn't in the mood to be gently pushed into anything – even if Jimin meant well. He wanted to make his own decision; one that wasn't influenced at all by others. Why couldn't anyone understand that?

"Come on Jin!" Yura exclaimed in frustration. The boy merely glared at her before going back to his assignment. Who knew going to the library was so noisy, he thought, ignoring the girl beside him. He'd went there to focus on the script he'd been given; he had to write an essay on the character he had been assigned and which way would be most effective when portraying him. The character was pretty simple which was why he was struggling. How on earth was he supposed to write 3,500 words on such a plain guy?

"Jin, please," Yura pleaded. For this assignment he needed to focus – which why he had turned his phone off for the majority of the weekend. Namjoon had been calling and texting him regularly, wanting to talk about his recent failure. Jin couldn't help but wonder whether he'd really done his research on the girl as then he would have known how shy she clearly was. While he would usually comfort Namjoon, he wasn't at the liberty to be taking breaks; after reading the script probably a hundred times, he still had no idea where to begin.

"Jinnie," Yura pouted like a child. He was never going to get anywhere with Yura pestering him though.

"Yura, please leave me alone right now," Jin sighed.

"I will if you promise to audition for the showcase," she responded, stubbornly.

"You know I would if I could but I've been swamped with work lately. I don't have time to go to the rehearsals and put the work needed in."

"It wouldn't take that much time," she whined.

"Why do I even need to audition again?" he asked, giving her an unimpressed look.

She sighed, pouting again, "Because I'm auditioning and I'm guaranteed to get the lead role so I don't want to spend loads of time with people I don't like. I want to be around friends."

Jin raised an eyebrow at her. He knew that mentioning to her that there was never a guaranteed chance to anything would just irritate her, so instead he replied, "Friends? Aren't I your only one?"

"Exactly! That's why you have to audition."

"Why don't you use this as an opportunity to make new friends?" he suggested. He knew she wouldn’t fare well on that but he still had to suggest it. Yura was harsh, mean and judgemental so he knew that most people would avoid her. The only reason he hadn't was because he felt sorry for her and she kind of reminded him of his mother. They both behaved similarly, especially with their knack for hurting the feelings of others.

"Please, that would take so much effort and they'd have to be from a reputable family like yours. I have high standards you know," she said, sounding rather snotty.

"What about my sister? She's also a MAP student," he replied, unsure if it was a good idea or not. He didn’t know whether his sister would really get along with Yura; his sister got along with most people so there was a huge chance.

"What does she study?"

"Music Theory," Jin answered.

Yura pursed her lips, displeased with his answer. "Music Theory students are weird."

"You're weird," Jin argued, catching Yura off guard. She was clearly taking it too seriously.

"Yah! Who do-"

"-I'm just kidding, chill," he sighed, "If I promise to think about it, will you leave me alone?"

"For now," she frowned, still annoyed at his previous remark. With that final statement, she stood from the chair, making a lot of noise as she got up.  "The library smells anyway," she muttered, her heels clicking as she left.

Once he was sure she was gone, Jin sighed, slumping back into his chair. He liked Yura, he really did but she could be so high maintenance sometimes. She was the perfect example of only child syndrome – he felt bad thinking that. He knew what he was getting into when he befriended her, so he had no real reason to complain.

Forcing himself to concentrate, he stared at the open page of his script, reading the messy scribble of notes he'd written. Not all of them made sense, which would become a huge problem when looking back to write about them. Picking up his pen, he decided to continue annotating, maybe he would figure out who this guy really was if analysed all his lines.

Taehyung cleared his throat loudly in an attempt to gain the attention of his two friends. It worked as they both looked up, Min with concern and Jang Mi with a mix of confusion and annoyance. Even after successfully gaining their attention, he continued making noises for good measure. They were so loud that they were freaking out the other people that sat in the lunch hall; they were beginning to give them weird looks.

"Tae, are you okay? You sound like you're dying," Min frowned.

"If you are, please do it quietly," Jang Mi added before looking back to her work. Min gave her a look of amusement, about to respond to her comment. Before she could however, she was cut off by Taehyung.

"I have an announcement to make," he declared.

Both girls looked at him with their eyebrows raised. There was clear curiosity in them but there was also a hint of fear. Taehyung made several announcements a month and a majority of them were followed by them being roped into doing some crazy task. He was a strong believer that friends should do things together – even if it ends with someone calling the police.

"This should be interesting," Min said at the same time that Jang Mi groaned, "Oh, dear god no."

"Don't worry, it doesn't involve breaking into the zoo or anything like that," he reassured them. They both looked at him in disbelief, waiting for him to finish his announcement.

 "I'm auditioning for the showcase," he finally proclaimed, causing both girls to drop their jaws.

"Huh?" Jang Mi responded at the same time that Min replied, "What?"

"I said," Taehyung said, saying it slowly like he was talking to small child, "I'm going to audition for the showcase?"

This time they both asked the same thing, "Why?"

"Well, my sources tell me that Park Yura is going to be auditioning, so if I get on the show, we'll be able to spend a lot of time together," he explained.

"And by sources you mean that you were stalking her and you saw her sign up?" Min snorted.

"Maybe," Taehyung mumbled, "You're hardly one to judge, remember your little escapade with Min Yoongi?"

Jang Mi sighed, "I'm friends with a bunch of stalkers."

"You wait," Min pointed at her, "Soon you'll find someone you feel is worth stalking and you'll understand."

Jang Mi's eyebrows furrowed as she laughed, "That sounded weirdly romantic."

Taehyung sighed in frustration as he clicked his fingers in his friends' faces. "Back to the important topic… who's going to audition with me?"

Both girls looked at him with a blank expression before bursting into laughter. They both laughed so long that they went red and their eyes began tearing up. Taehyung just watched them laugh with a pout on his face, offended that they weren't taking him seriously. It wasn't as if it were a ridiculous suggestion; they both had talent to audition with. Min could play a lot of instruments really well – including piano, guitar, cello and violin. Jang Mi was an amazing singer, probably as good as Ailee or Hyorin. To him, this suggestion was the most normal he'd ever made.

When done with laughing, Jang Mi quickly replied, "Sorry but I gotta say no to this one."

"Yeah, me too," Min sighed.

"Why? You guys could easily be picked," he argued, "I mean, Min, you can play like every instrument and Jang Mi, you're a-"

"-don't," Jang Mi frowned at her work, pen hovering over the paper.

 Taehyung pouted, "But guys, I think she's the one."

Min raised her eyebrows, "I dunno, Tae. Park Yura is notorious on campus for being a mega and you've only ever had one conversation with her."

"One is all I need," he complained, and then directed an evil smile at Jang Mi, "Plus, I don't see you lecturing Jang Mi on her adventures with Jeon Jungkook."

Jang Mi looked up from her work, glaring at Taehyung, "Yah!" His plan had worked as Min gave her a look of suspicion. Jang Mi hadn't told her about that night and she'd only told Taehyung because he'd texted asking her where she'd disappeared to. It was a dumb move on her end as secrets had a way of making their way out into the group; they could literally keep nothing from each other.

"What does he mean?" Min asked.

"I may have left the party last week with him," she squeaked.

"What?"

"Not in that way! We just went to get ice cream," she sighed, covering her face.

Taehyung grinned, adding on, "And she's been texting him regularly."

"I thought you were texting your brother," Min cried, looking betrayed.

Jang Mi sent another glare Taehyung's way before defending herself. "I was – I am… but I was also texting him."

"I cannot believe this," Min sighed.

"Look, I'll fill you in later on, okay? I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I just thought you might make a bigger deal out of it than necessary."

"You better give me the whole story. Starting at Suga's party and everything," Min pointed a finger at her.

"Fine," Jang Mi sighed, looking back at her work. The group settled down after that, Taehyung grinning victoriously. He'd successfully managed to direct the attention to Jang Mi, saving him a lecture from Min. Groaning, he realised that he'd also successfully moved the topic from the showcase – which was exactly the opposite to what he wanted. Looking at both his friends, he saw that they were both now immersed in something else. Jang Mi writing notes on her work and Min on her phone. Come on Taehyung, you can do it, he told himself, gathering all the courage he could.

"So-"

"-no," Jang Mi cut him off, not even looking up from her book.

Damn it.

Namjoon couldn't focus at all in lesson. All he could think about was Song Yunji and her surprise disappearance after the song. He had decided it was pretty much a given that she hated it – now his mind was reeling with ways to make it up to her. Writing her another song didn't seem like a good idea and Jin had especially blacklisted that. Speaking of Jin, he thought, remembering the way that his friend had been ignoring his calls. He couldn't exactly blame him – not with the way he was constantly calling him to ask about Yunji.

Jin was more experienced than him in relationships and even though it didn't seem it, Namjoon wanted to have one with her. It wasn't just purely ual for him; he found it hard to show his true feelings. My thoughts are beginning to sound like some sappy drama, he groaned, rubbing his face. He abruptly stopped when he heard his professor call, "Kim Namjoon. Since you feel like you can come to my lecture and then continue to not pay attention, you obviously know what you're doing. Why don't you come solve this equation for me?"

Looking around, he hoped that there was another Kim Namjoon around. Unfortunately for him, there wasn't and everyone in the room was staring at him. This is just like high school all over again, he frowned. He closed his eyes before taking a breath and saying in his most sincere voice, "I'm sorry Professor Ahn, I promise I'll pay attention from now on."

Professor Ahn narrowed his eyes at him in suspicion before responding, "The answer was 4. If you pay attention you'll learn how to get there."

He nodded obediently. Once satisfied, the professor turned back to board and began talking about maths again. For the thousandth time this semester, Namjoon wondered why he had chosen any kind of math lessons all. It's not that he was bad at it – he was actually quite good – it's just that it was boring and required too much of his attention. Right now, he needed to focus his attention on Song Yunji and winning her heart.

Jin said she was shy so how could he show his affection without freaking her out or making her feel like too much of the attention was on her? His friends knew him as a genius yet he couldn't work this out. Sitting up, he grinned – he had an idea.

"Who are you looking for again?" Hoseok asked as he waved to people they were walking past.

Sighing in frustration, Yoongi replied, "The girl you brought home last week."

"Oh! You mean Min," he paused, turning to look at him and narrowing his eyes, "Why are you looking for her?"

Yoongi shrugged nonchalantly. He couldn't tell Hoseok about how he'd only been able to finish the song because she'd helped him. In fact, he couldn't tell anyone that he hadn't been able to finish the song on his own; that would ruin his reputation. Now that he was done with that song, he wanted to start another – he couldn't seem to do that. Ever since he'd argued with Min that night at the party he threw, he just couldn't produce anything. During the weekend, he'd watched a movie called 'Just My Luck' and now he knew why.

She'd stolen his mojo – his music producing skills – that was evident when she'd helped him. Now he needed to find her and get them back so he could have his portfolio ready for the showcase. He was going to get his ability back no matter what.

"Well, I'm friends with her but I don't know her schedule off by heart," he said, causing Yoongi's shoulders to slump in disappointment. Hoseok seemed to notice this as he sighed, "I can give you her number if you want?"

"Yes!" he responded eagerly before clearing his throat and mumbling, "Since you suggested it."

Rolling his eyes, Hoseok pulled out his phone and typed some things into it. Yoongi felt his phone vibrate and he pulled it out to see he'd received a text. "There you go, now let me go to class please?"

He nodded as he watched Hoseok carry on walking to his next lesson. Yoongi didn't have one so he decided it would be as a good a time as ever to call her. Looking around, he spotted an empty bench, heading to it and sitting down. Saving the number on his phone first, he stared at it for a while, unable to bring himself to call her.

After a deep breath, he pressed the call button, bringing it to his ear as he listened to it ring. It was picked up after three rings.

"Hello?" a voice he recognised answered.

"Min?" he responded.

"Yeah…" she sounded suspicious, "Who's this?"

"It's Min Yoongi," he said, "I was wondering if we could talk?"

The suspicion didn't leave her voice as she asked, "About what?"

"Um, it's about the song you helped me with."

"Oh... um, there's no need to thank me," she said, sounding embarrassed.

Yoongi's eyebrows furrowed, "Thank? Why would I thank you?"

He heard her snort through the phone as she replied, "You're kidding, right? You never would have finished that song if it weren't for me."

"I never would have been stuck if it weren't for you," he argued.

She laughed in what seemed like disbelief, "I'm sorry, what?"

"I said-"

He stopped as he heard the phone click, pulling it away, he looked at it in shock. Staring at his phone in disbelief, he scoffed. He couldn't believe that had just happened – she had just hung up on him.

Author's Note: So here we are and I'm hoping that by now you can tell that the showcase is going to be important to the plot ;) Anyways, I'm slowly running out of prewritten chapters and I'm praying my exams finish before that but we'll have to see. I hope you enjoy the chapter and subscribe - thanks to those of you who already have. As always, comments are welcome, till next time ^.^