Take My Hand

STOP STOP IT

Jinyoung cower his head down as walked down the hallway, heading to his class at the end of the corridor. He didn’t want to make any eye contact with anybody at all…he prayed that no one will look his way. Suddenly someone bumped his shoulder…hard. It almost made his slim body stumbled down but he was graceful enough to balance himself to prevent him from kissing the floor.

            “Watch where you’re going freak!” a male voice echoed. He could hear sneering and laughter behind him. Jinyoung was accustomed to it by now…ever since the start of senior year, he always had been picked on by other kids at school. Why? He didn’t have the answer to that. He never caused any trouble with anyone, or intentionally trying to pick up fights (Jinyoung loved the peace…he will try to avoid any sort of confrontation at any cost), and yet he became an easy target for bullies. Maybe it’s because he was a bit kind of a loner and doesn’t talk to anyone else.

He finally got to class and can breathe a sigh of relief. Taking a seat two rows from the back, Jinyoung was ready for his lesson. The teacher begin and Jinyoung carefully taking every notes. He was in the middle of writing when he felt someone kicking the back of his chair. Jinyoung glanced and saw Donghee, one of his classmates grinning. He just gave him a blank look and continued with his work, trying his very hard just to ignore the guy. The kicking continued and Jinyoung had to hunch forward.

            “Donghee, could you please stop that and concentrate?” Mrs. Yang glared at the boy.

            “Sorry saem…” Donghee immediately apologise.

Jinyoung muttered silence thank you under his breath. But once the teacher turned her back, the kicking started again.

Mark walked back and forth at the empty tool shed. He quickly turned when he heard a set of footsteps coming towards him.

            “Jaebum said you wanted to see me?” Donghee said and looked at Mark.

            “Yeah…”

            “What is it?”

            “I would appreciate it if you stop bugging Jinyoung…” Mark said crossing his arm.

            “That loner freak?” Donghee sounded astonished. “Did you get paid protecting him?”

            “Just stop disturbing him…that’s all I’m asking.”

            “What if I don’t?”

            “Well…” Mark walked closer to Donghee and leaned over. “Let’s just say that I will make the rest of your school year a living hell…how ‘bout that?” Mark smirked.

            “You wouldn’t dare…you know that my father is the principal here…”

            “And he worked for my dad…”

            “Is that a threat?”

            “Just think of it as a friendly reminder ok bud?” Mark tapped Donghee’s shoulder.

Mark walked away leaving Donghee behind.

            “Have a good chat with the guy?” Jaebum said as Mark joined him in the cafeteria.

            “Great in fact…” Mark smiled.

            “Look, the apple of your eyes just arrived…” Jaebum said and Mark’s eyes darted towards the food line. Jinyoung was at the counter getting his food. He took his tray and went to the farthest corner of the cafeteria and silently eating.

Mark lips curved into a smile at the sight of Jinyoung.

            “I wonder why you don’t just go and talked to the guy…instead watching him from afar…” Jaebum shook his head.

            “And possibly freak him out? I will talk to him…soon…”

Mark can’t tear his gaze away from Jinyoung…the way his hair covered half of his eyes fascinates him…he wonder what it feels like under his fingers.

            “Stop drooling…” Jaebum nudged him.

            “Shut up!”

******************************

A bucket of cold water splashed on Jinyoung as he walked into the locker room. Loud cheer echoed as Jinyoung drenched his entire body.

            “How does it feel ?” Donghee laughed.

Jinyoung could only stay still as Donghee and his group of friends circled him.

            “So you have someone protecting you now huh?” Donghee pushed Jinyoung’s forehead with his index finger. “Someone like you doesn’t belong here…”

When Donghee were gone, Jinyoung sat on the wooden bench shivering, wondering what to wear as the only clothes he had were on his body. The spare clothes that he had in the locker have been stuffed into the toilet bowl. His eyes watered and tears trickled down his cheek.

Mark rushed toward the locker room and when he arrived, silence greeted him.

*Where did Jinyoung go…*

When Jaebum told him that he saw one of Donghee’s friend intentionally shove Jinyoung into the locker room. He was about to get out when he heard faint sobs coming from the end of the lockers. He walked towards the sound and saw Jinyoung on the floor leaning against the metal locker hugging both of his legs closed to his chest.

            “Hey…”

Jinyoung immediately wiped away his tears when he heard someone coming. He looked up and saw Mark, one of the popular kids in front of him.

*What is he doing here?* he thought.

            “If you’re here to bully me like they just did, take a rain check…make it tomorrow…”

Jinyoung felt relieved when Mark went away. At least no one gonna make his day any worst now. He was surprised to see Mark came back a few seconds later.

*Here goes again…* he was ready for anything might be done to him this time around.

Mark squatted in front of Jinyoung and draped new fresh towel over his wet hair and gently rubbed it, drying it as much as he could. He could hear Jinyoung gasped by his action.

            “Is there any spare clothes that you can change into? You could catch a cold if you stay this way.” Mark asked.

            “They shoved it into the toilet…I don’t think I gonna wear that now…”

            “Wait here…”

Jinyoung was puzzled to see Mark. Why would someone like Mark be so nice to him? Does he have any ulterior motives that involve any other physical abuse that he needed to prepare for? Questions after questions came to Jinyoung’s mind.

            “Here…you can wear my gym clothes…I got a spare with me…” Mark put sweatpants, a t-shirt and a sweater next to Jinyoung.

            “Why are you doing this?” Jinyoung looked at Mark.

            “Do what? Are you worried that my clothes are dirty? I guaranteed that they’re clean…”

            “No…it’s not about that…this…being nice to me…”

            “Let’s just say I don’t want to be on the side line again…c’mon, change up. Your next class is about to start in 10 minutes right?”

Jinyoung glanced at his watch and cursed. Mr. Kwon hated students entering late to his class. He stood up with Mark’s help.

            “Thanks…” he said.

            “Welcome…”

Jinyoung took the clothes and walked to his locker. He took of his wet shirt off and goose bumps formed on his skin at the cold air hit. Jinyoung felt he was being watch, and when he turned around, Mark was staring at him.

            “Do you mind? I’m trying to change here?”

            “Oh…ok…sorry…” Mark turned around. His cheeks are red with blush.

Night…

Mark was on his bed staring blankly at the colourful ceiling. He was thinking about the thing happened earlier today. The pale tone of Jinyoung’s skin colour brings smiles to his face. He caught a glimpse of Jinyoung’s back and the guy had a decent muscles. He tried not to get caught staring but he can’t help but to steal a few glances.

He remembered how he fell for Jinyoung for the first time.

Mark was in his way back to his class from the rooftop when he passed an empty room next to the staircase. He heard music coming from inside and decided to stop by. He looked through the small window and saw a guy dancing alone. His moves were sharp yet smooth…grooving along the music. Every turn and twist was perfectly executed and Mark found himself staring.

The music stopped and the guy plopped on the floor, drenched in sweat. It was the new guy…Jinyoung. He just got transferred to this school a couple of weeks ago and even though they shared a few classes Mark never had the need to talk to the guy. Jinyoung was a quiet guy that loves to be alone…he never had any friends.

Ever since that fateful meeting, Mark found himself getting interested in Jinyoung. He would be stalking him and when he saw Jinyoung getting bullied by other kids, he wasn’t hesitates to warn them to back off. Coming from a well-known family, Mark was pretty popular at school and nobody dares to cause any trouble with him. He was becoming Jinyoung’s own secret protector.

******************************

Jinyoung stopped his stereo and lay on the floor, catching his breath. Dancing has always been a passion of his…the only way that could make him forget all the things happened at school. His mind wondered to Mark…why would he be so nice to him? They never talked to each other since he got transferred there. He can’t deny that Mark actually was an attractive guy…very attractive. Tall, lean and his face could be compared to those idols that appeared on TVs. Jinyoung admitted catching a few glances at him but he didn’t dare to look, fearing what others will say.

Mark was one of the popular guys at school; his family was rich and he seems to be well like by everyone.

A soft knock on the door popped Jinyoung’s bubble thought.

            “Come in…”

Jinyoung bolted upright when he saw Mark walking into his room.

            “What…what are you doing here?” he asked, completely surprised by the presence.

            “I came by to check on you…if you catch cold or something…” Mark looked around the room. It was simple but felt cozy and warm. “Nice…”

            “Thanks…”

Silence…

            “Uh/um…” the two of them said at the same time. They looked at each other and smiled.

            “Go ahead…” Mark said.

            “No…you first…”

            “You first…it’s your house…”

            “But you’re the guest…”

After a long awkward silence…

            “Why are you here?” Jinyoung finally said. He waited for Mark to say something but the guy would just look around, avoiding any eye contact with him. “Are you…nervous?”

Nervous was understatement for Mark was feeling right now. He almost hyperventilates when he arrived at Jinyoung’s house just now. Deciding that it’s time for him to make his official move on Jinyoung, Mark finally took a deep breath and pushed the bell. A young woman greeted him at the door. He was surprised when Mark introduced himself as Jinyoung’s friend. She told him to go straight to Jinyoung’s room on the second floor.

            “Look, if you not gonna say anything…please just leave. I have…”

            “I like you Jinyoung ah…” Mark cut Jinyoung’s words.

            “Is this some kind of sick joke you’re pulling on me? If it is, it’s not funny…” Jinyoung stood up. “I guess you better leave…”

Jinyoung heading towards the door and suddenly he felt a pair of strong arms circled his waist.

            “I like you Jinyoung ah…and it’s not a joke.”

Mark spun Jinyoung around and crashed their lips together.

            “So, do you believe me?” Mark said when they broke the kiss. his arm rested on Jinyoung’s waist and their forehead met.

            “Why me?”

            “Because it’s you…no other reason…not that I can think of…”

Then…

            “Jinyoung ah…food id ready, ask your friend if he wanted to join us for lunch…” Jinyoung’s sister said from outside the door.

            “Nae…”

Later that day…at a park nearby…

            “Why did you like me? There’s other who’s more attractive and suitable for you…I mean…you’re Mr. Popular…but me…I’m just the loner loser that don’t fit in among the rest…” Jinyoung said. He and Mark were sitting on the bench facing the lake.

            “I like everything about you…you’re nice…the way you dance…”

            “You’ve seen me dance? When?”

            “Well…the first time it was at school…you’re in the empty room near the rooftop staircase…”

            “You saw me there?”

            “Yup…” Mark nodded.

            “I gotta tell you…you have some sick moves…”

            “Thanks…”

            “I’m just stating the obvious…”

            “Mark…”

            “Mmm…”

            “Why now? We never talked before…and I barely knew you…how could I possibly know that this wasn’t a set up…”

            “I don’t know how to convince you about this but I’ve always had my eyes on you…”

            “Are you even sure that I like boys? I could have a girlfriend somewhere for all you know…”

            “Trust me…you don’t have a girlfriend and I did caught you staring me a few times…”

            “You did?”

            “Yup…”

            “I dunno…there’s a part of me that think that this is too good to be true…I mean…we’re from two different world…people saw me as an easy target to bully and you…you’re like the royalty…”

Mark reached Jinyoung’s hand.

            “I know it’s hard for you but I’m being honest here…I don’t care about the status…never did…”

            “I dunno…”

            “Just give me a chance to prove it to you ok?”

Monday morning…

Jinyoung dreaded for the day to come. He was afraid that everything that happened during the weekend was just a dream. The kiss he shared with Mark probably the best he had…it was his first kiss after all. They went out for a date the next day and really had fun. Mark was nothing like he expected. The guy was fun to be with and they get to learn more about each other.

He was walking when he saw Mark leaning against the wall. Their eyes met and Mark smiled.

            “Good morning…” he said.

            “Morning…”

            “Have a good night sleep?” Mark asked.

            “You could say that…”

Jinyoung saw a few people staring at them.

            “Look Mark…about what happened during the weekend…I totally understand if you want to keep it between us…I won’t say a thing to anyone…”

Mark walked towards Jinyoung and hugged him.

            “Let them know…” soft kiss landed on Jinyoung’s cheek.

He extended his arm.

            “C’mon babe…school is waiting and I don’t want to be late for class…” Mark said with a smile.

Jinyoung gladly took Mark hands. Interlacing their fingers together, they walked towards the front gate, receiving looks and whispers from others.

            “I could get use to this…” Mark grinned, looking at their hands.

            “Me too…”

 

Another update...

I'm so glad that you guys like the previous chapter...

So, tell me what you think about this chapter ok?

Happy reading...

ANNYEONG!!!!