Prelude to a kiss

Remember me always

 

Seunghyun mindless dreams were interrupted by loud thunder and hard kicks to the legs, Groaning he stretched, opening one eye looking at the digital clock. Five am, never in his life had he ever been up at five on purpose. But with the thunder in the background and Bom nudging him with her bare cold feet he knew he couldn't go back to sleep. Getting up he switched on the light next to his bed and rolled his eyes at Bom. She laid curled up next to him pretending to shake in terror under the blanket. Another sound of thunder roared over head making her scream and snicker seconds later. 

"Tabi...I'm scared, hold me."

"You really had to wake me up for this? You're full of crap, You know that, right?" sounding a little irked as she screamed as another sound of thunder rumbled.

Muffled snickers resonated from under the blanket as she laughed. Slowly Bom lowered it until only her bright happy eyes and ruffled hair showed.

"You never know Seunghyun, I could of developed astaphobia over night."

"Uh-huh. You're afraid of thunder just like I'm afraid of peanut butter. Speaking of which can I have my half eaten peanut butter sandwich from earlier"  

Falling backwards on the bed, Bom let out a howling laugh, her cheeks turned a slight shade of pink as she tried to catch her breath. "Afraid of peanut butter. You're so weird sometimes"

"Coming from the girl who just pretended to be afraid of thunder storms for no reason. Oh and I forgot to mention that during the day I'm not afraid of ghosts but at night I'm a little more open minded.

"For real."

"No." he teased

"Tabi, Tabi, Tabi" she shook her head in displeasure. 

"That's my name don't wear it out."

"I swear I just don't know what to do with you sometimes. You're so slow sometimes." 

He ignored her comment still waiting for the half eaten sandwich he had asked for giving up waiting for her. Leaning over her he heard a barely audible gasp as he leaned over her reaching for it himself. Her eye's widen like she was in shock as her face turned red. Her body stiffened under him as she pulled the sheet up hiding her grin 

"What's with you?"

"You're half ."

"So?" he asked baffled. He really couldn't understand her sometimes.

"So! You're half ." she spouted out at him.

"Um.....So?" he asked again still not understanding her.

Nervously she pulled the sheet up until only her eye's shown. "So," anxiously answered.

Apparently he was suppose to understand her vague answer. Yet he was left completely puzzled by her quirky behavior and left completely dumbfounded. "Again so?"

"So, I'm a woman." she whispered barely audible for human ears.

"What?" he questioned her.

"I'm a woman." she whispered again.

"huh?" he asked again moving in a little closer.

She gave off a little peep sound clearing .

"I'm a woman now." she mumbled a little clearer, yet not loud enough for him to hear correctly.

"Repeat one more time?"

"O....M....G Seunghyun!"  speaking clearly for the first time in awhile.

Giving up trying to figure her out, he grabbed his now semi-crusty sandwich rolling off of her and finished it off. "Now do you mind repeating what you said."

"Just forget it." she answered sounding agitated.

"Okay then I'm going back to bed." he shrugged rolling over.

"Wait!"

"What?" sow sounding as agitated as her.

"I can't sleep."

He rolled over and sighed seeing her look at him like a puppy who had lost it's owner.

"Fine!" he grumbled. "I'll stay up."

Cheering happily she quickly got up almost breaking a drinking glass. Seunghyun cat like reflexes managed to catch it before it landed and shattered. Knowing Bom's luck she'd somehow manage to find that one piece of glass that wasn't swept up and cut her foot. Or trip and fall somehow and have it land in her eye. Undeniably it would be one of the two and Seunghyun didn't want her to see his home from the emergency room.

"Smooth as always." Seunghyun teased. "The noise probably woke up the whole street"

"Did not!" she protested.

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

"Oh yes it did.

"It did not." Bom growled. "How did it wake up the street if it didn't break?"

Seunghyun broke out into a howling laugh looking at her furious looking face. At this presence moment she reminded him of a fire breathing dragon getting ready to incinerate him. Sadly he thought her clumsiness was cute, but admittedly never understood what was cute about her always messing up. In the years he had known her, she was always breaking stuff, falling, tripping, getting hurt or leaving messes behind and writing to him about it. He had to admit she was pretty cute when she messed up though. Ultimately though it was just one of the reasons he liked her. He admitted he had some feelings from the day they met and only just figured it the previous summer. That feeling only grew stronger after she stole his first kiss. He had a crush on Bom since....since forever he guessed. Admitting he was hopelessly in love with his best friend. He tried shoving the feeling into the back of his heart. It was for the best. She was dating Siwon. He was the best friend and nothing more. 

Bom let out a phony whimper at yet another sound of thunder,. This time not even bothering to pretend to be afraid.

 "Still pretending to be afraid of storms" he asked.

Bom giggled placing a hand on his chest playfully smacking him. 

"Jeepers creepers, Bom!" he said stunned at the sudden contact making her laugh. "I love it when you do that" The words slipped out of his mouth without even realizing. 

"What? Why did he just say that? Bad Seunghyun! Bad!" he thought.

Bom looked at him and started nervously laughing. Was that a blush he saw? No, that couldn't be? She loved Siwon didn't she? Well they say hope springs eternal and she was spring and he was eternally hopeful. 

But again she had Siwon and let's face facts. Siwon was the super popular, super hot, hot jock that everyone loved. Yes! He said hot twice. He had to face facts Siwon was one fine looking male specimen, especially those dimples, his smile and muscular body. Not that he was really looking. If anything he was hoping Siwon was going to at least turn out to be an but...NO...of course not. He also had to be class president, volunteer to help the homeless and just be an outstanding citizen and write to him all the time hoping to become good friends.

Damn over achieving bastard!

Everyone liked him including Seunghyun in his own secret world buried under all the cobwebs in the corner of his mind. While he was the opposite, moody, rude, lazy at times, had only just semi-decent grades and at everything including life. He had to face facts he was mediocre at best. Knowing that, he knew he had no chance of ever getting Bom to love him.

Besides he had his chance last summer and blew it being the idiot he was. He wondered if he said I love you that night would things between them be different right now? The word were there that night, dangerously lingering on his lips. But like a fool he just couldn't find the courage to say it. He seriously wanted to smack himself that night recalling the scene in his mind.

 

"Ew!" Why did you kiss me?"

Startled from the brief interaction he pushed her backwards acting stupid. Out of all the things to say, why did that have to be the first thing to blurt out? His hopes of Bom doing that were never high. Her lips on his, he thought his lips were going to kill him.

Bom stared at him looking bewildered. "I thought....Siwon thought...er...never mind. I...we...evidently was wrong. I'm sorry. I just wanted my first kiss to be with special.

Her statement made his heart pop and burst. Words had never sounded more beautiful. She wanted the kiss to be special and that meant he was special and not Siwon. Wait? Did that mean he had a chance? If this was pure happiness then she was allowed to kill him. His heart was hers to burst, to break, stab, brake or bury. Whatever her heart's desire was so be it.

"I thought Siwon was special?" he asked secretly facepalming himself knowing he just stuck his foot in his mouth again.

"He is." she quickly answered breaking his happy bubble. "It's just you're more significant to me then he is."

"Why?"

"Because I've known you longer."

"Does he know about this?"

"No and he will never find out either." Bom retorted.

"Why?"

"Just because." 

"So does that mean you like me more then him right?"

"Maybe? Do you like me?"

"No." Damn it! What was wrong with him?

"Then no." Bom stared icily at him.

"Oh! Well, maybe we should try again. Maybe I'll change my mind and like you then." Hoping to fix his blunder, crossing his fingers.

"Nope!"

"Why not?"

"Because I've decided for the rest of my life I'm only going to kiss Siwon." she barked as she walked away in a huff. "At least he wants to kiss me." she mumbled still loud enough for him to hear.

Luckily she forgave him by the end of the trip and agreed to come out by him for two weeks. Thus the reason she was in his bed right now. Even thought it was his mother's suggestion and he was suppose to be sleeping on the couch But it's not like his mother could see him. Still he couldn't have been more happy. She was here, she was with him, it was the end of summer and best of all no ugly looking troll's name Siwon for three whole weeks. 

 

"Fine you win. The neighbor's didn't wake up because of you." he grinned.

"You're such a dork."

"I don't know why I said that, sorry. I guess it's just… it's late, you know? My head is full of kittens and rainbows and gross crappy stuff like that and I can't focus on what I'm saying. You know what I mean?"

She nodded trying to look serious, but after a few seconds Bom burst laughing. It was contagious and after a few minutes of laughter, they were both on the bed giggling. After what seemed like forever, Bom stopped hearing a loud thunder and turned to him with big eyes sparkling. That expression made her look gorgeous, lightning in the background, her hair slightly messy and those chocolate colored eyes searching for his. Seunghyun was a goner.

"Stop"  His mind was wandering once again. If he kept going on like this he was afraid Bom might find out that he had a crush on her and that scared him. 

"This isn't good... He was afraid that she might not feel the same way. What if he decide to tell her and she rejects him and laughs in his face? Talk about humiliation?

"Oh, God, that would be awful! He didn't want to ruin our friendship. He had no choice but be content with what they had now. It was for the best, She was the best thing that has ever happened to him, so had to leave it this way

"Is something wrong?" The look in her eyes turned to concern..

Seunghyun didn't realized he was staring at her and was caught off-guard when Bom asked.

"Nothing's wrong" he muttered. "Sorry, about that. Do you want some hot chocolate? It will help you sleep" he asked, remembering why he was up in the first place.

Bom looked at him in disbelief "I can see something's wrong. You can tell me anything, you know?" Looking at him hurt. 

He knew he shouldn't be hiding things from her, and it was breaking his heart looking into her sad eyes, but again he didn't want to ruin this. He didn't want to ruin them. Just being next to her had to be enough. Admitingly it was painful having her so close yet so far away. If he didn't leave soon he was going to do something he might regret. Feeling his eyes getting wet he told Bom he was going to go and make them some hot chocolate.

"I'm gonna go make us some hot chocolate.  he said turning around quickly.

Looking at her with those big pitiful eyes he needed some time alone to sort out his thoughts. He knew his thoughts weren't making any sense. They never did. Again she had Siwon he reminded himself. Seunghyun turned around and caught a glimpse of her eyes. Tears gathered in the corners of her big sad eyes. How could he be so stupid. He literally took a happy silly moment and turned it into a downer within seconds. In times like this he wondered if he needed his head examined, He felt so guilty ruining everything once again.

 

 

 

Bom remained still in the bed wondering and waiting for him to return. Her mind dazed and confused feeling a bit guilty. One minute she was flirting, then a second later felt guilty about it. She was in love with two different men and her heart wanted to see what it was like to be in Seunghyun arms. As much as she liked Siwon, she desperately wanted Seunghyun to say those three words. I like you. After all she was like the police. She had all the evidence in the world yet she still wanted a confession. Was that so wrong? She knew if he did she wouldn't have to think twice at saying good-bye to Siwon. Why was it so hard for him to say it? Maybe she was wrong and in her mind she just twisted things to feel what she wanted to feel? Was that the reason he was mad right now? 

Maybe she should apologize first for going to far. She waited a few minutes before checking on him, letting him have some privacy. After a few minutes of lying and waiting she closed her eye's and strained her ears to try and hear him. She heard violent sobs coming from the kitchen and quickly rushed in there. Seeing a broken-hearted Seunghyun balled up on the floor. His body was violently shaking and his tears were like waterfalls. She sat down next to him and told him

"I'm sorry this is my fault. "It's okay now, I'm here". But nothing seemed to stop the tears from falling.In the end she gave in to her feelings and hugged him.

Seunghyun hugged her back and stopped sobbing. It was one of the best things she felt in a while, his arm wrapping around her waist, his head resting on her collarbone. She felt so secure being in his arm.Quietly they both lied on the cold floor next to the wooden table admitting to herself, she didn't want it to stop. Her heart was beating way too fast to be normal and he seemed to notice too and again her face was flushed in embarrassment.

"What if he's going to take it the wrong way?" she thought panicking.

She was about to get up but Seunghyun noticed the movement grabbing her hand and hugged her tighter. She felt his body relax when she rested her head on his shoulder. She couldn't take this anymore and opened .

"Tabi I'm not sure I can hide this from you anymore, so please make this easy for me and don't interrupt"

Seunghyun nodded, giving her a concerned look. 

"You can tell me anything" he reassured her using her words against her.

Bom lightly pushed herself off ot him and looked into his eyes and said,

"I think… I feel something more than friendship towards you, but it's okay if you don't feel the same and I completely understand. It's just that… I just wanted to let you know. Please don't let this affect our frie-"

"Wait hold that thought." 

Hastily he pushed her off letting go once again leaving her dumbfounded. Grinning widely he lifted his hand up showing a bloody wrapped hand. 

"I need to change the tissue, I'll be right back."

Did he not hear a word she just said? Looking around she noticed for the first time the broken mug laying on the floor and the now cold chocolate laying with it. How could she have been so stupid? Did she really trick herself to believe he was crying because of her? She didn't know what to think right now. Fighting back tears she glanced back up at his smiling face. He acted like nothing happened just now making her feel even dumber inside.

"Were you crying because of your finger?"

To be honest she didn't really want to hear the answer.

"Well duh. Why else would I be crying?" he quizzed.

"Well what do you know, I think I'm tired enough to fall asleep." she sheepishly giggled.

"Okay then. I'll join you soon." he grinned again showing her his bloody finger reminding her of a jackass while he did it.

Instantaneously she turned around and bolted back to the room and hid under the blanket. Within minutes Seunghyun had entered the room. Right away she closed her eye's pretending to be asleep as he crawled in on the other side.

"Are you asleep?" he whispered.

She gave out a fake sounding snore.

"Bom?" he tried again.

Still she ignored him, not ready to speak, holding back her tears.

"I take it you're already asleep." he stated sounding sad. "I'm sorry Bom. I know I'm a coward and I know I'm not good enough for someone like you. I'm surprised you even chose to befriend someone like me in the first place. I really do love you and I'm happy your my friend."

Bom bit her lip surppressing the urge to cry again as she listened. She couldn't help him no she heard, no matter how hard it was for her to sit still and be quiet. It just wasn't her nature. Despite that fact the moment was bitter sweet for two reasons. One she finally got her confession and two she got to feel the warmth of his body against hers. His warm breath tickled her neck as he nuzzled his head onto her. So that's what it was. He lacked confidence and that was going to change. Because after all they say success was a state of mind. If you want success that you have to start thinking your a success. It was going to be a hard challenge. One that she was ready for. Seunghyun would be a changed man by the end of September and she knew one thing about herself she never gave up and always came out a success. Her goal in the next three weeks was to make a man out of Seunghyun.