Six

The Survivor

Youngjae took out his knife and check himself through the reflection of the shiny metal blade. He lowered the collar of his shirt and saw his health was already close to 25%. His shaky hands took out the medicine and jabbed himself at the back of his neck. He hissed as the warm liquid flows into his veins, slightly feeling lightheaded from the intrusion of the foreign substance in his system.

 

He took one sharp breath before standing up on his wobbly feet while supporting himself using the wall next to him. As he was about to walk, he heard Junhong's voice from the earpiece calling for him. He turned around and smiled weakly upon seeing his other three teammates came running towards him.

 

"Are you okay, hyung?" Junhong asked, worried tone laced in his voice. "Not really."

 

"That was a bad question, sorry." Junhong apologised but when Youngjae decided to walk (more of a series of stumbling) away from them, the three started freaking out. "Where are you going?! You're going to fail the mission if you die!" Himchan asked exclaimed.

 

"Don't worry, I'll try not to die. Besides, I can't be simply waiting here helplessly for you guys to save me, right?" The black haired boy stopped once he reached the middle of the smoke-filled room, looking around for anything that could stop the smoke, or maybe get the damn door open.

 

"Daehyun hyung, can you hear me?" Jongup waited for any replies from the older while closely inspecting the glass door. "I'm here Jongup." The muscular boy took hold of his hammer before hitting the door with all his might. The loud sound of hard metal colliding with an apparently glass made of steel echoes throughout the silent building.

 

"Hyung, are you aware of the shield? I guess this is the thing that blocks our attacks." Jongup said as he eyes focused on the glass door which seemed to produce static sounds due to the impact of his attack.

 

"Yes, I do. Which is why I'm looking for anything to cut down all power supplies to this building." Daehyun replied before the two was interrupted by the captain. "If that's your plan, can you do it faster? I'm not trying to be a brat here but I don't think I'll be able to stay for long." Youngjae breathed out.

 

"Just be a man and hang in there, idiot." Daehyun replied shortly before every single light available went off. "You owe me your life, Captain."

 

"Then you better get your here fast so that I can thank you properly." Youngjae rolled his eyes but smiled nonetheless before falling onto his bum. A loud crashing sound followed after and Youngjae knew immediately that one of his teammates had hit the door into pieces. He turned to look at the tall boy who came running towards him with his palm covering his mouth and nose while the other one holding a flashlight.

 

"Hyung, come on." Junhong said as he lowered himself onto his knees so that Youngjae could wind his arm around his shoulder for support. It took a while for them to get out of the room and when they did, Daehyun was already there with the other two.

 

"Congratulations all of you." They heard a familiar voice of Leader Bang spoke. Almost immediately, the building walls around them started to dissolve and they were now standing in the mission room, the one they were in before Yongguk set them off to the East Gate. Youngjae suddenly felt extremely weak before he fell unconscious.

 

*

 

The first thing Youngjae felt when he woke up was like as if a train had hit his head. Not only that but his whole body was aching. 'How long have I've been out?' He blinked his eyes slowly to adjust the amount of light entering his still sensitive eyes. "Oh, hyung! You're finally awake!"

 

"Don't shout, you idiot! He's still adjusting himself."

 

The black haired boy squinted his eyes and saw Junhong, Jongup and Himchan standing at the foot of his bed. And the room wasn't his usual room. 'Where the heck is this?' "Why are you guys standing there? How long have I been out?" Youngjae managed to croaked out of his puffy lips.

 

"One question at a time, kiddo." Himchan replied before walking from his spot and dragged a chair before sitting next to Youngjae's bed. Youngjae slowly pushed himself up and leaned his back against the headboard. "Why am I still in this?" He was expecting to be in a clean, sterile pair of clothes but instead, he was still clad in his mission attire. Not so cliche now aren't we?

 

"You do ask a lot for someone who had just woken up after a 3-day slumber." Himchan chuckled. "So.. while I was unconscious, is there anything special happened?" Youngjae asked lowly, as he almost pout. Almost.

 

"You might need to catch up with the rest. But don't worry too much about that because we sid not fail that mission so you levelled up quite high." Himchan said, assuming the younger male. Youngjae nodded his head slowly before noticing the absence of a certain male. "Daehyun's out on a solo mission."

 

Himchan decided to voice out. Youngjae looked surprised for a couple of seconds before humming in response. "I see." 'He must've been so enthusiastic to beat me now that I missed a lot.'

 

"He told Leader Bang to leave you in that attire because he said about you getting so pissed off when someone sees your skin. I'm not gonna ask how he knew that though." Himchan said.

 

*

 

Daehyun was brought back to headquarters as soon as he completed his mission. He walked out of the mission room and made his way towards a room he already memorised the path by now. He slowly entered the room and frowned when he saw that the bed was empty.

 

"You came here to visit Youngjae?" Daehyun quickly spun around and saw his friend Himchan standing at the door. "He woke up earlier today when you're still on your mission." Himchan explained as he walked towards his friend. Daehyun nodded and mumbled a small "I see."

 

"I'm not sure if it's too much for me to ask but can you reconcile with Youngjae?" Daehyun raised an eyebrow before crossing his arms, drmanding for a better explanation. "You don't act dumb, Jung Daehyun. I know what you've been doing." It was Himchan's turn to look annoyed and placed both of his hands on his hips.

 

"I know you like him so stop acting like you hate him." Daehyun's eyes went round upon hearing the accusation thrown at him. "What the , Himchan??"

 

"I know you sneaked out every night and came here so that we won't caught you visiting him. But one night I was awake when you're going out so I decided to follow you." Himchan said and smiled victoriously. Daehyun scoffed before stepping forward, as if challenging Himchan's facts.

 

"Oh really? And me visiting him equivalent to me liking him? What are you Himchan? A kid?" Daehyun countered. Himchan smirked before leaning forward, invading his friend's personal space much to Daehyun's displease. "You know that's not the only thing you did, right? They way you played with his hair despite insulting him while he's unconscious-"

 

"Stop it." Daehyun backed away from his slightly taller friend. The pale guy smiled and stared his friend intently, making the latter to squirm under Himchan's intense gaze. "I-I did it because I feel like it, okay? There's no underlying feelings, alright?!"

 

Daehyun frowned when Himchan started laughing. "Are you sure? Because I'm pretty positive that that Junhong kid likes him."

 

"That does not concern me in any way." Daehyun was weirded out by his friend's sudden choice of topic. Though he did think that why should he really care if Junhong or anyone likes Youngjae or vice versa.

 

"Fine, fine. I'm just saying that you should reconcile with him. You guys are actually a really effective team. And seriously, I've had enough of you two fighting like a married couple." Himchan explained and smirk in amusement when he saw his friend's face distorted upon hearing the 'married couple' statement.

 

"Fine, I'll consider it." Daehyun finally sighed in defeat. After all, he's tired from his mission and decided to let Himchan win this time.

 

*

 

Youngjae went up to the rooftop of the building, a beautiful night view of the virtual city spread across his sight. It was already two weeks they are trapped in this world, he couldn't help but to think of his parents. 'How are you, umma, appa? Are you guys feeling well?'

 

"Nice view they got up here, isn't it?" Youngjae spun around and saw Daehyun whose face showed nothing but awkwardness. "Hi..?" Youngjae said hesitantly. To be honest, he's also unsure on how to react. Daehyun made his way standing next to the other. Youngjae stared him as he fidgeted, messing his hair a couple of times in the process to form a proper sentence that doesn't sound...awkward.

 

Daehyun groaned before muttering a soft " this" and stretched his right hand out. The black haired boy was about to commemt on it before Daehyun quickly interjected. "Just take my hand. And shake it."

 

Youngjae quickly shake Daehyun's outstretched hand and gave him a warm smiled after a moment. "Were you that nervous to confront me?" Daehyun scoffed before letting go of Youngjae's small hands.

 

"I still need some time to accept you as my friend, you jerk." Daehyun reminded the other not to speak too casually just yet to him. Youngjae rolled his eyes before leaning his elbow against the railing, letting the night breeze caress his face.

 

"Funny hearing that coming from a jerk himself…" Youngjae paused before staring his fingers and smiled. "Himchan told me, that-"

 

"Stop." Daehyun quickly shut the other up. He knew what was coming right up after that. And getting caught by Himchan was enough and he couldn't bear to hear about it again. From Youngjae himself this time.

 

"That you came to visit me every night." Youngjae still ended his interrupted sentence with a smirk. Daehyun was about spat a loud and cruel 'I hate you' before Youngjae interrupted him. "Thank you."

 

Daehyun's rage subsided almost instantly before side glancing the other's side profile. That was the exact moment that Daehyun's heart supposed to skip a beat.

 

His black hair made skin looks a couple of tones fairer, not to mention soft too (he felt them during his night visits), his dark pair of eyes glistening from the building lights in front of them. His lips, suddenly Daehyun thinks that the other's lips are cute (and looks edible to him).

 

"Not going to say anything?" Daehyun was about to retort when the tall maknae called for Youngjae while came running towards them. "Oh, Daehyun hyung, you're here too! You just came back from mission?"

 

"Yes I did.." His voice trailed off as he eyes focused on the two boys. Junhong draped his arm around Youngjae's shoulders while playfully pulling the shorter male closer to him. They started talking to each other in a low voice, only audible for the two of them to hear.

 

"Why are you here, again?" Daehyun asked, accidentally sounded a bit harsh and annoyed. Well, who doesn't when the two immediately forgotten his presence there. No, he's not jealous. Why would he?

 

"Oh, that's right. Leader Bang wanted to see Youngjae hyung and you later for your mission review."

 

"Oh, okay then. We should get going." Youngjae said as he straightened his posture, making Junhong's arm to fall from his shoulders in the process. Daehyun almost smiled. Almost.

 

"You go first. I need some fresh air for a while." Daehyun grinned as he eyes trailed from Junhong and finally landed on Youngjae. "If you say so.. let's go, Junhong." The black haired dragged the youngest away from Daehyun, leaving him alone on the rooftop.

 

"Himchan was right about Junhong liking Youngjae…"

 

'...but does Youngjae likes him too?' Daehyun shook his head as he left his thoughts unspoken.

 

___________________________________________________

 

Just shoot me TT^TT

I think by now you guys should be able to see my updating pace. A super slow pace, that is.

Thank you for the comments, they really did motivate me. It's just that my schedule is pack with classes and all. And I am so dumb to not notice that I am having a test this coming Tuesday. I am so doomed lol

Enjoy the update!!