Nine

The Survivor

"Thank you so much for bringing this parcel safely." The leader of the Northern headquarters; Commander Song thanked both Daehyun and Youngjae. The commander looked a bit to young to be in that position, her black hair was tied in a loose bun and a head shorter than Daehyun. Despite that nonetheless, she looked as charismatic as Leader Bang.

 

They arrived at the Headquarters late in the afternoon as they had to deal with bandits along the road. It was nothing unusual though but it still costs them their health and Youngjae ended up with a cut on his cheeks.

 

The black haired boy looked around the conference room and took note that it is almost identical to one in their HQ. The lady keyed-in a series of number before a screen popped out with Leader Bang on it.

 

"Leader Bang. This is Commander Song Minjae reporting." The young commander started reporting on the arrival of the parcel safely in her hands and that the two is good to be sent back.

 

"I'm afraid that can't be done now." Leader Bang said, earning a confused look from the three. "What do you mean?" Commander Song asked. "There's some interruptions with our system and it seems like it is impossible to bring you two back at the moment. We're using our back up generator to communicate but to teleport them will end up draining the whole back up power." Leader Bang explained to them.

 

"How long will it take for the server to be up again?" Daehyun asked. He was hoping to get back to the HQ as soon as their mission is over so that he would have a break from Youngjae. But looks like luck wasn't on his side at all.

 

"It won't take too long. The longest it'll take is most probably a day. I apologise for the delay." The man on the screen said. "Maybe we can try sending them from here. It is not necessarily to teleport from there right?" Commander Song suggested.

 

"I can't guarantee that because in order for them to be sent here, there has to be a " Replied Leader Bang.

 

"I can't assure you whether it'll work since the server on your side is interrupted but I'll try my best." The young lady reassured. Daehyun glanced towards his partner who was staring into nowhere before the latter turned to face him. Both of them quickly turned away from each other and fidgeted awkwardly.

 

"Let's go. I'm sure both of you are feeling tired right now."

 

Both boys turned to face the commander, who had a broad, friendly smile on her face. She then led them into the mission room and met a young man about their age sitting in front the expanse of consoles. "Yes, Minjae?" The guy asked as soon as they walked towards him, still back facing them.

 

"We have visitors here. Show some manners, Cha Hakyeon. And it's Commander Song to you." The young female went to the man; Hakyeon and spun his chair around to face the two.

 

Both Daehyun and Youngjae never seen the guy before. 'Maybe he'll come later in the game.' Daehyun thought.

 

Hakyeon quickly get onto his feet and bowed slightly to the two younger boys. "Hakyeon, these two are from the main Headquarters. Code 01 and Code 04." The cheeky guy smiled before extending his hand to the two. "I'm Cha Hakyeon. You two probably know that since this lady over here keeps on reapeting my name."

 

Commander Song just rubbed her temple before heaving a long sigh. "We'll have a talk later, Hakyeon-ssi. Now can you be a gentleman and send these two back to the Main HQ. Their system is down over there and they can't teleport 01 and 04 back." She explained and the tall guy listened while rubbing his chin.

 

"It is actually quite impossible if you ask me because we'll need the whole game running," Hakyeon said as he leaned against the control panels. "but there's no harm trying."

 

"Good." Commander Song squared her shoulders before leading the two into the all-white room. She shut the door before standing next to Hakyeon who was busy setting up their destination. Youngjae stood silently next to Daehyun, awfully close and Daehyun could feel the other's gloves hand brushing against his bare ones.

 

'Maybe he's too tired.' Daehyun thinks before Hakyeon speaks through the microphone. "Are you guys ready?"

 

"Yeah." Both Daehyun and Youngjae said simultaneously. Daehyun side glanced the other male who did the same before both of them quickly tore their eyes away from each other.

 

Bright white light soon emmitted from She pressed a couple of buttons before lights started to emit from the walls. However, that's all it did; became dimmer and nothing happened after that. "You can't reach the HQ?" Youngjae asked and the male behind the glass wall nodded.

 

"I was right. Maybe they are saving the backup power supply for any cases of emergencies, so I'm quite positive that the power supply is not enough to open up the teleportation portal." Hakyeon explained.

 

"And that means we'll have some bonding time in the meanwhile." Commander Song's broad smile made Youngjae cringe, especially when he caught her flashing a flirtuous grin towards Daehyun who simply smiled back.

 

 

 

 

"Where are your agents, Commander? I mean, don't you have any?" Daehyun asked as he and Youngjae strode down the hallway towards a destination they aren't sure yet. Daehyun is standing in between Commander Song and Youngjae, who had been awfully silent since early in the morning.

 

Daehyun thinks that maybe the other is still traumatised by last night; well, Daehyun can't blame him though. The sight is traumatising, honestly speaking.

 

"We don't have any agents because our role is simply to assist the main HQ and most of the time. We don't involve ourselves in mission of sorts," She paused before taking a sharp turn to the right and entered a rest area. Not as big as their room back in the main HQ but a decent one for them to recharge.

 

"We don't have a proper recharge room." Commander Song said as the two males enter the room. "Have a rest while we figure out how to send you back. There's a fresh clothes at the corner there so, feel free to change."

 

"Thank you, Commander-" Daehyun thanked the lady and gave her a smile. "Please, call me Minjae." She interjected and smiled shyly.

 

"Minjae." Daehyun corrected before elbowing his black haired partner, as discreetly as possible, telling him to thank the lady. "Thank you." Minjae nodded and left the room and Youngjae rolled his eyes before going straight to one of the bench and sat down, quickly shutting his eyes close.

 

"What's with that attitude?" Daehyun asked. Youngjae just hummed lazily, not bothering to open his eyes. "Youngjae." Daehyun called but received no other reaction from his partner. He took a seat next to the black haired and sighed when he saw that the other has already fallen asleep.

 

Daehyun decided to let it slip and tried his best to find a comfortable position to sleep. No that there's any other position than to sit.

 

*

 

Youngjae rubbed his eyes and blinked slowly, adjusting his unfocused vision. He then realised that he was laying on the bench and saw Daehyun was sprawled on the floor not to far from him. His mission gears were also removed and placed together with Daehyun's at a corner.

 

He quickly checked his shirt and sighed in relief when he saw he was still in his mission clothes. 'Luckily he did not strip me and changed my shirt.' He also felt something sticking on his right cheek. 'He cleaned my wound and replaced the gauze..'

 

The black haired boy streched himself before sitting up, messed his hair up and stared the unconscious male on the floor. Youngjae felt his heart raced in chest when he realised how good looking the other is. He did find Daehyun physically attractive since the first day they met, but back then, their rivalry was too significant and all he can see was how much of a jerk the boy is.

 

He got off the bench and carefully knelt next to the tanned boy, inspecting the other's face. His health bar on his forehead is in charging mode, meaning that he's currently in a deep sleep.

 

"Only a week left to end it all." Youngjae mumbled to himself and turned to look at the door, just to make sure no one is to walk into the room before turning his attention back at the other.

 

"Do you.. do you like me?" He whispers to himself as he carefully played with the others soft brown strands. "Or do you simply care for me as a friend?" The black haired stared Daehyun's closed eyes a bit longer and heave a sigh.

 

Youngjae had to admit that ever since their relationship had gotten a lot normal than before, Daehyun had been nice to him, well, a lot nicer than before. The older might not show his kindness openly in front of their friends, but it still made Youngjae happy.

 

Youngjae thinks he might have fallen for Jung Daehyun, his sworn rival, his so-called Nemesis. And what happened last night might give him some hope that maybe, Daehyun feels the same towards him (although he found out in the most inappropriate way ever).

 

He brought his hand down and lingers his fingertips against Daehyun's forehead. He slowly leaned forward and stopped when his face was a couple of inches away from Daehyun's, heart pounding crazily in his chest and his face flushed when he felt the brunet's hot, steady breathing against his plump lips.

 

He stared Daehyun's pillowy lips and when their lips almost touched, the door opened and he quickly scrambled off the older, causing his back to collide hardly against the steel bench behind him.

 

Daehyun immediately woken up by the loud noise and noticed Youngjae who was in pain and another presence, Minjae in front of them. "Oh great! Both of you are up!" She exclaimed cheerily, unaware of the sour stare she received from Youngjae. "We received updates from the main HQ. They said the system is fixed and you guys should be able to go back today."

 

"That's good to hear.." Daehyun said, still sleepy and confused. Minjae smiled anyways before marching out. "See you two in a while!"

 

Daehyun smiled and rubbed his eyes. Youngjae groaned and decided to get ready but before he could stand up, he felt a warm, slightly rough hand grabbing his smaller ones. "Are you alright?" Daehyun asked in concern and Youngjae simply nodded his head. What caught the latter of guard was when Daehyun suddenly caressed his injured cheek. "How's your cheek?"

 

Youngjae was too flustered to form any kinds of reply and the older smiled when he saw his partner's face was already beet red. Youngjae felt Daehyun leaning forward and backed away, staring the latter deep into his eyes.

 

"You were awake just now, aren't you?" Youngjae asked, his voice stern and demanding. "With that much noise, yeah."

 

"Before that. When I-I…" Youngjae paused when he couldn't stand the intense stare Daehyun was giving him. "R-right before Minjae entered." He rephrased his sentence. "You should have known that I'm a light sleeper, Yoo Youngjae."

 

Both of them were staring at each other, Youngjae just couldn't hide his embarrassment any longer. "It just happened recently. I mean, how I felt towards you." Daehyun started while playing with his knuckles. "I hated you at first. With all my heart. But once we started doing missions together , I started to realise that you aren't that bad and I was the one being a total jerk from the start."

 

Youngjae wanted to agree with that last point so badly but he decided not to ruin the moment. "And besides, you're cute." Daehyun's ear was also turning red by the end of his confession. "Last night was exactly how I felt towards you. Just that thing came out a bit too exaggerated." Youngjae shudders when he felt Daehyun's hands on his waist.

 

"So.." Daehyun paused to his dry lips (Youngjae just couldn't stop himself from staring at it).

 

"So..?"

 

Daehyun groaned in frustration before closing the distance between their lips. Youngjae was too shocked to do anything and ended up frozen at his spot. And the cliché butterflies in his tummy happens. It lasted only for a few seconds when Daehyun sensed that the other did not kiss him back and broke the kiss. Youngjae's face was priceless but Daehyun had to save his laugh for later so that he wouldn't end up with a broken nose.

 

"I thought you wanted it." Daehyun smirked.

 

"I was hesitant, mind you." Youngjae retorted with a blush on his face before pushing the other, getting up to gather his things.

 

"You know what? The real one feels a lot better." Daehyun started, his voice sounded a bit too blissful and Youngjae turned around to face his partner, with a big question mark on his face. "Oh, I was talking about your lips. That creature's wasn't soft like yours-"

 

"Keep the details to yourself, please." Youngjae interrupted.

 

Daehyun chuckled before trailing behind the younger, smiling broadly.

 

*

 

"The system is fixed and your friends will return anytime soon. You are now dismissed." Leader Bang said.

 

"Woohoo!! I know it's only been a day but it felt like we haven't seen those two for a long time." Junhong said, smiling excitedly. "Don't exaggerate, kid." Himchan said and Junhong pouted before slumping in his chair.

 

"Why are you being so mean??"

 

"No, I'm not. Let's not bother Leader Bang anymore." Himchan replied simply before shoo-ing both Junhong and Jongup out of the room. He then turned to face the oldest and saw him smile. "Why did you chase them out?"

 

Himchan blushed before taking a seat on his chair. "Yongguk, you are aware that my time here is coming to an end, right?" Himchan began and Yongguk nodded. "Yeah. You have exactly one week to reach level 30 and you'll be able to go back once I open the portal." Yongguk said with a small smile on his lips.

 

"Once we go back.. will we remember all of these?" The pale guy suddenly asked, his voice was getting lower. Yongguk remained silent for a couple of moment before exhaling deeply.

 

"You won't."

 

"What about Youngjae, Jongup and Junhong? Would I still remember them?" Himchan couldn't control himself anymore. Sure, he was delighted to know that he's finally going home but forgetting everything they went through together..

 

"Most probably not. I'm sorry." Yongguk replied shortly. "Whatever happened here, whoever that you met in this universe, all will disappear as your soul travels back to your body." Yongguk explained. "Would you still remember me, and the kids, then?"

 

"I will."

 

 

___________________________________________________

 

Heyyo peeps! 

I'm quite satisfied with this chapter (maybe 60% satisfied?)

I must say that this story is going to end soon (Max is 15 chapters but most probably lesser?)

P/s: thank you for being extremely patient with my extremely slow updating pace TT^TT