Five

The Survivor

Early that morning everyone was already in their mission gears and weapons all equipped. After a long session of Daehyun and Youngjae shoving and pushing each other in the weapons chamber, they finally got everything that they needed and gathered one last time in the conference room.

 

"I'm looking forward for today's mission." Leader Bang said before projecting the plan of the building on the big screen. "I hope you all ce with a good strategy. As you all know, I'll be watching you from here, so take care of each other." The oldest of the six said firmly. Daehyun couldn't help but to feel extremely excited.

 

"Before I forgot, I'll be appointing a Captain for this mission. His job is to make sure everything went according to plan, thus leading to success." Leader Bang explained before all four (minus Himchan of course) were looking at him expectantly, hoping that they're the one to be chosen as the captain.

 

"I'll appoint based on my preference of how well he's been doing this past week." 'Please choose me.' Daehyun silently prayed, repeating the same thing over and over again.

 

"Code 04. You'll be the Captain today." Daehyun's eyes were about to pop out of its socket if he was a cartoon. If it wasn't because of the cool he's trying to keep in front of Leader Bang, he would definitely lash out at the oldest already. He balled his fist tightly until it turns white as he tried his best to keep a straight face.

 

'Why isn't he trying to mock me? Look at me with that winning smirk? Why?!' Daehyun debated mentally as he stared Youngjae who was staring his lap and nodding firmly upon receiving Leader Bang's direction. Himchan who seemed to notice his friend's rage, gave him an encouraging squeeze on his shoulder.

 

Daehyun quickly walked out of the room once they're dismissed and stormed off to the mission room. The room is a spacious four white walls with silver tiles flooring. For missions, they'll be teleported immediately to where they will carry out their mission. As for today, the East Gate.

 

"Code 04 speaking. Can you guys hear me?" Daehyun startled when a cracking voice spoke near his ear. 'Ah, the earpiece.'

 

"I can hear you alright." He replied, a little bit too loud with a hint of annoyance, even without the earpiece, everyone in the room could hear him speaking clearly. "Good. What about the rest?"

 

"Mine is working well."

 

"Mine too."

 

"Same here."

 

"Ok that's great." Youngjae smiled and Daehyun swore he shouldn't have looked at the other's face. 'I'm gonna beat that cute of yours soon.'

 

"Anything you want to add, 01?" Daehyun realised that he ended up staring the other a little bit too intently and scoffed. "I'd rather we start this mission now. Let's not waste more time."

 

Youngjae squinted his eyes, they had a small staring competition for a couple of seconds before nodding his head. "You're right. Leader Bang, teleport us now." The temporary captain commanded before a blinding light emitted through the walls and filled the room instantly.

 

The moment they opened their eyes, the were already a couple of meters away from a tall building, about 20-storey high. "Okay, that was so cool." Junhong said to Jongup with an awe-stricken face. "Listen up, people. As you can see the building is up ahead and a lot of spotlights to catch any intruder within its certain radius. Do not get caught."

 

Leader Bang spoke through the earpiece. "We all heard it, right? Let's move and not get caught." Youngjae the captain ordered and the other four moved quickly towards the building, skillfully avoiding the spotlight. Youngjae was the last one to move and he sprinted towards his teammates. He tripped on his own foot and almost stumbled into the bright spotlight.

 

Before he could feel the impact on his knees from the fall, he felt he was hardly pulled by his bicep and hit his back against something firm and slightly muscular. "You should be more careful, captain."

 

Youngjae jumped when he heard Daehyun whispered right next to his ear. He wiggled harshly off the older's grasp before quickly pulled the other and hid behind a pillar. Youngjae scanned towards the other side of the building, thinking of when's the right time to sprint towards the back door. Himchan, Jongup and Junhong are already waiting for them, making sure there are no threats around them.

 

"You almost got us busted before we could even enter the building." Daehyun started, purposely trying to annoy Youngjae. "Can I even count on you to take care of us during this mission?" The brunet went on and on abouit it again and again. Youngjae ignored him and saw his opportunity to run towards his other team members.

 

"Shut up Daehyun, you're giving me a headache." Himchan spoke through the earpiece and Youngjae had to muffle a laugh from escaping his lips. Even his best friend couldn't handle Daehyun's talkative-ness.

 

"01, come here." Youngjae commanded professionally, no signs of getting offended by Daehyun's verbal attacks. Daehyun rolled his eyes before joining the other to take a look towards a small alley, leading to the back door. "We'll be sprinting out towards that alley on my count to three." Youngjae said before starting his countdown.

 

"One.."

 

"Two.."

 

"Thr-" Before Youngjae could finish, the other already sprinted away from him. To say that he was pissed off was an understatement. He quickly rushed to follow the other right behind his back. He sprinted as he watched the other dodging the light as he followed suit.

 

"01, I'm gonna kill you." Youngjae spoke through the earpiece, forgetting that the message reaches everyone. Or maybe he didn't care if everyone heard him.

 

Once they reached and regrouped with the other three, the captain harshly grabbed the brunet's arm, giving the other a death glare. "I'm warning you, 01. Act upon my command. I won't tolerate recklessness."

 

"Says the one who tripped on his own foot."

 

The look in Youngjae's eyes heavily indicating that he is beyond pissed. Before he could lash out at the other, Himchan immediately stepped in between the two while Jongup held Daehyun and Junhong holding Youngjae back from attacking the other.

 

"Stop it you two! This isn't the time to bicker. Stop acting so immature." Himchan scolded the two like a mother scolding her two children fighting over the last piece of chocolate chip cookie. Youngjae glared towards the other one last time before shaking his arms free from Junhong's hold. He closed his eyes before taking a deep breath.

 

"You're right. I'm sorry. Let's continue with the mission." The black haired regained his composure before staring Daehyun who had an equally straight face as his. Like what they had planned the night before, Junhong placed a bomb on the steel door, and waited for the bomb to blow the lock. It wasn't loud, but enough to wreck the lock and unlocked the door.

 

Daehyun was the first one to enter the building, followed by the others while Youngjae being the last. "Look out for the lift." Youngjae half-whispered, his voice echoing in everyone's earpiece.

 

"Over there." Jongup pointed towards the left side of the corridor. They hurriedly ran towards it before pressing the up button. Luckily, the lift came sooner than they expected and they quickly entered the cubicle.

 

"We're stopping at the 5th, 9th, 15th and 20th floor for the extra flags we have to collect like what Leader Bang had briefed us earlier and the file on the top floor." Youngjae reminded and the others gave him a firm nod. "Keep an eye on any enemy. If they're not taking us down in the shadows, they might do a guerrilla attack on us."

 

The 'ding' indicated that they have reached the fifth floor and they quickly ran to their designated spot against the wall. Himchan and Junhong being at the far most back, guarding the team in case someone attacked from behind while Daehyun and Jongup guarding their captain's back.

 

"Move." Daehyun whispered and started moving forward before Youngjae suddenly spotted something was off. "Wait!" Before Daehyun could react to the command, the alarm rang loudly throughout the building with red lights going on and off indicating hat the building had been intruded. In a blink of an eye, tons of enemies were swarming around them from every direction. Himchan rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Sooner than we had expected. Oh well."

 

"Defeat all enemies."

 

Daehyun draws his sword and charged forward towards an enemy before slashing his torso and proceeded to the next one. Daehyun didn't really pay attention much at his back that an enemy grabbed his neck from behind. He struggled to break free when he felt the grip on his neck loosen.

 

He looked towards his savior --Youngjae who breaks the enemy's neck before tossing it to the side like a garbage. He didn't even spare Daehyun a quick glance before started shooting the far enemies while the other hand holding a pocket knife, alternating from shooting and stabbing his enemy.

 

Daehyun thinks Youngjae looks the scariest when he's fighting, of course he won't tell that out loud.

 

"I got it!" Junhong yelled and raised the red flag while still busy hitting the enemies using his naginata*. "Good! Junhong, proceed to the ninth floor with Himchan. Leave the rest to us. We'll catch up to you guys later." Youngjae commanded before both Junhong and Himchan complied with the order given.

 

Finishing the enemies off was not a joke but they still managed to since Himchan and the maknae had helped a lot before they left.

 

The next floors after that went smooth for them as they fought together. The chemistry between them slowly started developing as they knew when is the right time to attack, who needs more aid and so forth. Daehyun had stopped being a jerk for a while and actually fought alongside Youngjae.

 

They reached the top floor sooner than they had expected. Jongup had been assigned to keep all the flags collected from the lower floors in his small pouch. Himchan felt extra tired since he wasn't used to intense battle before, so does the others but for him, he was never an athletic student in school.

 

They stood in front of the steel door, looking around for any CCTV. Junhong caught of one before blowing it into tiny bits with his small grenade while Jongup placed another bomb at the passcode lock.

 

"It's not working." Jongup notifies them before receiving a small tap on his shoulder. He turned around and was greeted with a smiling Youngjae. "Let me try." Jongup made way for the older and the latter started to inputting numbers and tried his luck, but failed.

 

"What do you think you're doing?" Daehyun annoyingly asked but when he got no response, he grabbed Youngjae's arm and pulled him away from the lock. "Don't press when you're not sure of the passcode." Daehyun said as they had a mini staring contest (again) before Himchan stepping in between them to resolve the tension. Again.

 

"For the love of god, stop it you two. I almost thought we're an effective team just now so stop ruining all my impressions." Youngjae was the first one look away when he noticed the flags inside Jongup's pouch.

 

"Jongup, do you remember which flag we got on which floor?" Youngjae asked, dropping the codename as he was too focused to even realise that. "Yeah.. Red on he fifth floor, blue on the ninth.."

 

"Yellow on the fifteenth and white on the floor below." Daehyun finished off Jongup's sentence. The rest were all staring at the flag before Youngjae quickly and purposely pushed Daehyun out of the way and started to test his IQ.

 

"The password is.. 3..4...6 and 5." Youngjae closes his eyes ad prayed mentally before after a couple moments of nerve-wrecking silence, the door actually opened. Youngjae was smiling so proudly that his chest hurts from it while the rest was still at daze.

 

"How on earth did you figure out the password?**" Daehyun asked, soundig a little bit too frustrated than his own liking. Youngjae smirked before tapping his index finger at the side of his head before entering the area, followed by Jongup and Junhong.

 

Like what they had anticipated, as soon as they entered behind the steel door, there were people guarding the file already waiting for them. They skipped the intro and jumped into action straight away, wanting nothing more than to get this done as soon as possible.

 

"I think we should be able to handle them, Youngjae and Daehyun, you can proceed." Himchan said, his voice cracking through the earpiece. "Are you sure?" Youngjae asked as he dodges an enemy before bumping his back against Daehyun. He was shocked when Daehyun spun him around blocked the enemy's attacks with his word before kicking and slashing him.

 

"Yeah, don't worry about us. Just go!"

 

"You heard him, Captain. Let's go." And with that, Daehyun grabbed Youngjae's hand and ran away from the chaotic hallway. They managed to hit some guards blocking their way before finally reaching the room on the other side of the floor.

 

The room was spacious, with a stand in the middle of the room where the file is held. Youngjae entered the room and started looking around for any threats but found none. Daehyun on the other hand, styed outside in case if both of them entered at the same time, enemies might ambush them from outside.

 

"We have reached our destination." Youngjae updated their well-being to the other three who was still fighting before slowly making his way towards the file. When Youngjae took it from the stand, suddenly the entrance which was widely opened just now was blocked with a see-through glass door and the room was slowly starting to be filled with smoke.

 

Daehyun started panicking as he saw a glass wall seperating him from Youngjae and when he heard the other started coughing. "Don't inhale it. I think it's poisonous." Youngjae started coughing again as he looked around for any possible way out. "I figured out once the smoke started coming out."

 

Daehyun quickly tried to break the glass door using his sword. He mentally goraned when there's only a small scratch on it. "Himchan, Jongup, Junhong. Youngjae's trapped inside theroom and poisonous gas are starting to fill in. I need help fast." He said as he continues to slash the glass.

 

"On my way there! We're done here!" Himchan replied before Daehyun caught sight of Youngjae struggling to make his way towards the entrance. As soon as he stood in front of Daehyun, he fell on his knees and coughs his throat out.

 

"Youngjae?! Are you okay?! Hold on a bit." The brunet said as he continues to slash the door angrily. "I can't find any way out…and I can't hold my breath any longer." The younger said as he leaned against the glass, he felt his body starting to become weaker each second. "Hold on. Use the medicine. Finish it all if you have to."

 

"I only have one with me."

 

"Just use it now! They're on their way."

 

Daehyun didn't know what had gotten into him. This was supposed to be the best moment in his gaming life, Youngjae was weak and losing , and depending on him to save his life. Daehyun supposed to feel powerful and satisfied but he didn't.

 

When he felt it was useless to continue slashing the door, he stopped and kneeled down. "Youngjae." He called as the said boy turned around and stared him with a pair of tired eyes. He immediately asked Youngjae to lower down his turtleneck collar to ceck his health meter. 30%.

 

"Listen, once your health reached 25%, use the medicine. I'm gonna find a way to open this door." The black hair nodded and Daehyun got up after that. He stared down a the other before sprinting away, looking for any control room or anything similar to that.

 

"I'm sorry if we fail the mission because of me." Youngjae spoke through the earpiece and Daehyun chuckled. "We're not going to fail."

 

"And besides, where's the competitive fluffybunny that I used to know?"

 

___________________________________________________________

 

*The naginata (なぎなた, 薙刀) is one of several varieties of traditionally madeJapanese blades (nihonto) in the form of a pole weapon. Naginata were originally used by the samurai class of feudal Japan

**Anyone else is as confused as Daehyun? XD if there is, Youngjae will personally tell you how he figured out the password ^^

 

Like always, I just cannot update within a week or two. Trust me, it's not writer's block, it's just I'm having a hard time translating my ideas into words. Especially this chapter is a full mission chapter. Sooo.. I made this chapter slightly longer as an apology *im so sorry ;--;*