Chapter 2

Machines

Waking up with a pounding in my head I look around my surrounding and was surprise with what I saw. Empty beer bottles on the ground and papers tossed everywhere. Not only that but there was some of my inventions all around, as if they were being thrown by someone or something.

I thought that I was attack or something until it all dawn on me. My wife died. I couldn’t help but think back to the moment she finally left me.

 

 

--

 

 

(Flashback)

 

Taking in a staggered breath, I finally push open the door. My heart broke at the sight of my Taeyeonnie on the hospital bed, connected to a bunch of machines, barely holding onto the few minutes she had left.

I stood there frozen for what felt like forever until she turned towards me and called out to me. I quickly made my way over and stood by her side while gently taking her hand in mine.

“Honey, what the- how did- I-”

“Shh~” she cut me off. She smiled at before motioning for me to sit on the chair by the bed.

I denied and asks, “How did this happen? They said that you were in a car accident.”

Taking in a few breaths, she spoke with a hoarse voice, “It was. Apparently some guy miss his red light and I didn’t see it in time.”

I suddenly felt a sudden bubble of anger inside me about to burst at the mention of some guy missing the light. It’s his fault that my wife is in this spot. I was gonna find this guy and destroy him but Taeyeon knew me better than that. She gripped my hand as hard as she could before she told me, “It’s not his fault so don’t start blaming people now.”

“But-” she but me off once again.

“I said no blaming people,” she scolds me. I would have found that adorable if it wasn’t for the heart shattering cough that erupted from . “I always thought that we were gonna make it somewhere far together.”

“We still can. We just need to give the doctors some more time. I can pay them more to work harder. I just-” she cut me off once again. ‘Come on what’s with this woman?’ I thought to myself.

“Don’t do that. I know that we promised that we would share everything together for the rest of our life, but sometimes fate doesn’t see it like that. Maybe this just means that my time is up. Maybe I did my job and change you for the better. I don’t know but maybe it’s for the best.”

“No don’t say that.” I’m trying to reason with her but like always she’s trying to get her way.

“Park Jungsoo,” there she goes using my real name, “don’t make me come back and haunt you after this.” ‘Really, joking is how you try to make it better,’ I thought. Though it still got me smiling.

Seeing the smile on my face, Taeyeon grace me with one of her own. “Teukkie, Leeteuk, Jungsoo,” she said each name so lovingly than the last, “I want you to promise me something.”

“Anything for you,” I whispered.

“I want you to move on.” She held up her hand to stop me from protesting. “I’m serious, I want you to be able to move on. To make a family I fail to provide for you. Don’t just stick to me forever.”

“You know that I can’t do that.”

“I know, but you can’t blame a girl for trying.”

“You’re too cute you know that right?”

“Can’t deny perfection.”

“I love you, honey, with all of my heart.” I brush some hair behind her ear.

“I love you, too. My handsome ducky.” Laughing at her pet name for me, I lean in closer. I look into her beautiful light brown eyes. I close the gap between us and savored the taste of her lips on mine.

I didn’t know how long it lasted but it wasn’t long enough for me. A sudden long beep came out of nowhere and I only knew that I finally lost everything.

I was push out of the way by the doctors before everything became blurry.

 

(End of Flashback)

 

I can’t believe that she’s really gone. I don’t know what to do anymore. All the things I did, the machines I created were all because of Taeyeon. She always made me focus on the things I was good at. Now without her I am nothing.

‘I can’t take it anymore,’ I got up grab my coat and keys and left my house.

 

 

--

 

 

“Getting better,” I told myself as I walk around the Han River. It was already getting dark out so I knew that wouldn’t be a lot of people out to bother me. I was heading towards a shop close by when I heard a big crash not far from me.

Not knowing what else to do, I ran to where I heard the crash. It wasn’t far, but I stop at the sight in front of me. A car crash. Not this again. I wasn’t ready for this.

I wanted to turn around and leave this until I thought of Taeyeon. She wouldn’t have wanted me to run away. She knew that I would help out. And that’s what I’m going to do.

I ran up the driver’s side and pull apart the door as hard as I can. The open wasn’t big but it was enough to fit the stranger in the car. After making sure it was stable, I grabbed the unknown person and pulled her through.

Seeing as there no one else around, I pulled the bleeding girl away from the car. She had somehow ram her car into a tree so I wasn’t gonna wait for it to blow up. But luck wasn’t with me recently as the car exploded, sending me and the stranger flying a couple of feet away.

“Well at least I’m alive,” I muttered to myself. I turn the girl next to me. “Can’t really say must about you.”

 

 

--

 

 

“I have absolutely no idea what the hell I am doing. And now I think I’m gonna go crazy now,” I said aloud.

I just brought back a girl that might die any moment now. Why did I think that I could save her anyway? I lean against my desk as I look at the state the poor girl was in. She must have been coming home from school by the uniform she was wearing. She shouldn’t be on the verge of death.

Seeing her like this brought me back to when Taeyeon was on her own death bed. Well not anymore. If I can’t save her, that doesn’t mean that I’ll let another victim die of a car crash.

I jump up from my spot and open a secret vault in my lab and found what I needed. What I’m about to do might be tough because of time, but I won’t let that get in my way.

I turn back toward the girl with the device in my hand. “Don’t worry Sooyoung, I won’t let you die, too.”