Chapter 3

Thanks for the memories

I paced around my room, my phone clutched in my hand. It was Saturday, the day after Luhan had given me his number. I was debating whether or not I should send him a text. It was stupid really. I should just man up and text him. But part of me was scared. Was it too soon?

"Minseok?" My mother called, interrupting my mini debate against myself, "Come down! It's time for dinner."

I took a deep breath, typed something up, threw my phone on my bed, and raced down the stairs.

To: Luhan
Hi Luhan! It's me, Minseok. This is your number right?

***

"So Minseok, I noticed you got a 38/40 on your math test." My father shook his head in disapproval, his cold voice left me covered in goosebumps, "this isn't acceptable. You need to improve your study habits."

"I studied hard for that test!" I retorted, earning a look from my mother. I mentally slapped myself. Sometimes I really need to control the urge to fight back.

"It's not enough!" He bellowed, slamming the dining table, "at this rate, the only job you will have is a street vendor. Not even that! Seeing as you are extremly lazy!"

 "Sohee." His voice softened as he faced my sister, "Go get me a glass of water."

"Ok daddy!" She replied obediently, getting out of her seat and walking to the kitchen.

"Theres no use asking him," He said, gesturing to me, "He wouldn't do it anyways."

"I'm done." I mumbled getting out of my seat and stomping up the stairs. I knew my father meant well, so why was I so angry? Tears welled up in my eyes.

Seriously Minseok? Are you going to cry over this?

I grabbed my phone and texted Luhan, the only person who I felt understood me.

From Luhan:
Hey! And yep, you got the right number.

To Luhan:
Hey..

From Luhan:
You seem upset, whats up?

To Luhan:
Parents

From Luhan: 
Ah, what did they say?

To Luhan:
They got mad over my score on a math test. 38/40

From Luhan:
What? That's not bad! Its way better than what I would have gotten.

To Luhan: 
They said the only job i'd be able to have is a street vendor.

From Luhan:
Look Minseok, you're smart. You're going to be something great in life. Don't let these little things get to you. It's only blocking you from keeping yourself happy.

To Luhan: 
Thanks Lu :)

I smiled, feeling a hundred times better. I was grateful for having a friend like Luhan, he really knew what to say. I threw myself onto my bed and grabbed the book that was sitting next to it. I opened up to thepage where I had last left off, and began reading.

"Minseok." My mother whispered from the doorway.

"Hmm?" I mumbled, not looking up from my book.

"You know your father means well when he yells-"

"I know." I cut her off.

"He just wants whats best for you," she paused, "don't take it to heart."

I remained silent.

"Good night." She smiled before exiting my room.

"Night."

Luhan was the last thing on my mind before I drifted off into a deep sleep.

 

A/N

Ahh apologies for this chapter being so short. Finals are going on at school right now so in the midst of studying I just put something together. I promise the next chapter will be tripled in length.