Chapter 2

Thanks for the memories

 

 

 

I try not to show much emotion, covering things up with jokes and laughter. It's easier that way, you feel no pain. 

 

Luhan was my weakness. He was easily able to take down the barrier I had put up and read me like a book. He knew me so well, yet in the one week that we had been friends, all I knew about him was his name. 

 

"Minseokie!" Luhan called out,  running towards me. He swung his arm over my shoulder. 

 

I flinched at the contact. Pushing his arm off me, I turned away, in attempt to hide my obvious blush. 

 

"I don't like being touched." I mumbled,  fiddling with the hem of my shirt. That was a lie. To be honest, I enjoyed skinship, but with Luhan it was... different. 

 

He looked slightest bit hurt for a second, but shrugged it off. His usual lopsided grin appeared on his face. "Let's go find the others." 

 

He began walking to the crowd of lunch tables,  gesturing for me to follow.

 

The group Luhan and I sat with couldn't really be called a group. was more like a bunch of mini groups put together.  There was Jongin and Kyungsoo. Those two were joined at the hip, inseparable really. Kyungsoo was a little bossy and Jongin was more mellow. 

Next were Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Chanyeol was dim-witted and would always say the wrong thing at the wrong time. It was up to Baekhyun to keep him out of trouble. 

Sehun was a close friend of Luhan's. He sort of moved around amongst the mini groups, socializing with everyone. He was clingy and acted like a little kid, which was expected, him being the youngest and all. 

Usually, I'd be scared to be around so many people. I could handle one or two, but six,  six was too many. I never knew what to say. Luhan's presence, however, made it easier. He only paid attention to me, making it seem like we were the only ones there. I opened up to him, letting him see a side of me that was kept hidden. 

 

"When people die, they die a death." I say, fighting the urge to laugh. 

 

"I see." He nodded as if the words that just left my mouth were completely normal, "So when the dead dies, do they die a death? Or since death has already taken over them, do they just die?" 

 

"Okay you got me! " I threw my hands up in the air, "surrendering". 

 

"Seriously Minseok, it's strange seeing you like this. Here I thought you were a boring old square that sits around reading all day." He smiled, "I like you like this." 

 

My heart fluttered at his words. Unable to respond properly, I stuck my tongue out at him. 

 

***

 

"Tell me about yourself." I blurted out on the walk to my house. Luhan had began walking me home ever since he found out we lived in the same complex. 

 

"What do you want to know?" He asked with a smile. 

 

"Anything"

 

"Uh well, I'm an only child. I live with my parents and two dogs." He paused to think, " and I love watching anime" 

 

"Why did you move to here?" 

 

"My dad got offered a job" He answered as we arrived at my house. 

 

He was quiet for a moment then spoke up again, "Geez I feel like I'm being interviewed!" 

 

"See you tomorrow!" He put his hand on my back, pulling me into an awkward hug. 

 

"Bye." I waved as he walked away. 

 

I took off my shoes and entered my house. I threw my backpack on the stairway and went up to my room. 

 

Tick tock. Tick tock. The sound of the clock was the only thing audible amongst the quiet atmosphere. I liked it that way. The three hours I had alone, until my parents and sister came home,  was my time to gather my thoughts. 

 

I took off my jacket, throwing it onto my bed. From the corner of my eye I saw a blue slip of paper sticking on the back of my jacket. Curious, I reached for it. 

 

My phone number: 001-82-395-6945

-Luhan 

 

I get up from my desk and tiptoe out of the room. I glance at the clock. 12:01. 

Was I really writing that long? 

  I walk to the storage room, careful not to wake up the sleeping Jongdae in the room across. I open the door, a musty scent greets my nose. 

after rummaging through the room's content for a while, I find what I am looking for, a box. I gently shut the storage room door and retreat back to my room. 

  I open my dresser and grab a little box that was hidden under my clothes. Opening it, I take out a key and unlock the box I had brought from the storage room. 

There it was, the blue sticky note with Luhan's phone number.