The Mark

Evergreen Clubs

This was a joke, and Howon was far from amused.

“The ?” he whispered, hand tracing lightly at the green swirls predominating his collarbones, gaze transfixed at the Club mark at the center of his throat with a small letter ‘K’ printed on the top right. He knew this mark – oh hell he knew this mark very well!

Who wouldn’t? This very mark was what most Kings of their country had – the sole proof that fate had chosen that particular individual to bore the heavy responsibility of commanding a whole kingdom and its benefits; the sole proof that, by fate’s choice, Howon is the King of Clubs, ruler of the Eternal Kingdom of Spring.

Stupid fate

“Kill me now,” he sighed with resignation as his head lowered over the sink. Why? Why does this have to happen to him? All he wanted was a simple life, one that he could spend the rest of it teaching people the wonders of dancing at his quaint dance studio over the coasts of the Kingdom of Diamonds.

But no, life decided to with that simple dream and instead handed him a much grander but completely unnecessary one.

He weaved a hand over his messy locks and gnashed his teeth, eyes having a faraway look as he contemplated his options. He made an indignant snort, who was he kidding? He had no options; take it or leave it. Even if he traveled until the very tip of the Country of Suits, the mark blatantly staring at him from the mirror won’t disappear. And that’s not considering that if it really is his fate to rule Clubs, then sooner or later he would find himself dragged over there to have a crown placed over his head – whether he liked it or not.

With another heavy sigh, he finished freshening up and exited the bathroom. There was only one thing in his mind right now, and that was to visit a certain Queen of Diamonds – who had also gone through this kind of drill and so happened to be his step brother.

This would be the very first time, since he came to Diamonds and after he opened up his studio, which he would voluntarily closed it for a day. But well, desperate times call for desperate measures.


“Howon!” the Queen of Diamonds, A man named Nam Woohyun who was Howon’s step brother and once was the Palace cook of the Kingdom of Hearts (The Kingdom where they originally came from) until his mark was found, greeted him. Smile so wide and bright it almost rivaled the gaudy orange of his ensemble – the national and the only color the Kingdom’s monarchs wore. He mentally winced at that, figuring that once he was crowned King of Clubs, the different shades of green would be the only thing he would wore until he die.

Well… that is if he becomes King. (Who was he kidding? He was already King, and the mark proves it.)

Just right behind the Queen stood the King, hawk eyes watching with rapt attention as Howon wrapped his arms around his step brother’s form – his crown sliding slightly to the side. “Well this is a surprise, you rarely visit us.” Howon gave the King a stiff smile.

“Yes well… I actually have a reason to be here.” Both the Kingdom’s monarchs exchanged glances.

“Oh…” The Queen trailed off and then gave his brother a smile. “Let’s go to my garden then.” Woohyun steered him out of the throne room and led the way towards the Queen’s garden, a haven exclusive only for the monarch’s and their selected guests, with the King trailing behind him.

When they arrived, the Jack of Diamonds, A man named Jung Daehyun who was originally a soldier from Clubs before his mark was found, was already there, face ungracefully stuffed with cheesecake. Howon winced at that.

“Daehyun!” Woohyun scolded, lightly pinching the Jack on his side. “Mind your manners!” the other only gave the Queen an apologetic smile while still having a full mouth. The Queen flinched as he stared at the falling crumbs in horror.

“Ugh, you’re hopeless.” The other man muttered in defeat and plopped himself at the chair beside the Jack, who returned back at his earlier task of eating. The King, a man named Kim Sunggyu and was once a ruthless pirate captain who ruled the oceans of Suits until his mark was found; only shook his head and sat next to his Queen.

Howon remained standing on his spot as he watched how Sunggyu poured himself and his husband a cup of tea. The sight made him remember something and his face visibly paled.

, Queen! He almost forgot about that! Naturally, since he was King, he would have one and after their coronation (Whoa there big guy, you’re thinking way ahead!) they’ll have to get married since it is in the law – and not to mention they are fated for each other.

Man, Howon was starting to hate fate more and more.

“Won?” Woohyun called, his brown orbs peering worriedly at him. “Are you okay?” he jumped slightly at the question – which didn’t escape from the monarchs eyes and now all three of them are frowning worriedly at him.

He chuckled nervously. “Why the question?” the monarchs gave him an unamused stare.

“Well,” Daehyun started, swallowing his food and accepting the cup of tea Woohyun handed him. “You’re wearing a scarf, for one, which totally doesn’t make any sense since the Kingdom of Diamonds is known to be the Eternal Kingdom of Summer. And secondly, you’re pale as a ghost. And that’s saying something considering your slightly tanned skin tone.” Well that hit the mark, Howon thought with a wince.

Heaving a sigh in defeat, Howon stared at the three monarchs in all seriousness as his hands played with the ends of the scarf. “Promise me – God, please promise me – that no matter what you see, none of you would react excessively.” All three looked at each other in confusion before reluctantly nodding, returning to stare curiously at him.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, hands nervously tugging at his scarf until it came off.

The reaction was instant.

He stubbornly refused to open his eyes as he listened to them gasp in surprise. He could feel the heavy stares directed at his neck as he chewed his lip in nervousness, the anticipation on his stomach as heavy as the silent atmosphere.

It was Woohyun who broke the silence.

“ Howon… You’re the new King of Clubs.” He couldn’t help the groan that slipped pass his lips.

As if that wasn’t obvious enough.


A/N: Tbh I wasn’t supposed to update this until after I updated Soul Mates and Heterochromia but I changed my mind, considering I can’t concentrate on those two fics since this chapter was already brewing on my mind lol

Oh! And guess what will be Myungyeol’s and Sungjong’s role in this (Not that Myungyeol’s isn’t obvious enough lol XD)