Prologue

Evergreen Clubs

“So this is it?” The Jack of Spades murmured, face mirroring the grave expressions both the King and Queen of Spades held as all three of them watched all the nobles exit the open doors of the throne room. “The start of war?”

The King waited until only the three monarchs were left before he sighed in exasperation. “We have no choice really – it was this or a Coup. The answer was pretty obvious.” The Jack snorted in answer.

“More like blackmail really…” He murmured, getting a hard thwack on his head in response.

“Choi Junhong,” The Queen hissed, face darkening as he glared hard at the Jack. “Hold your tongue! We don’t know who might be listening.” the Jack bit his bottom lip and stared back at the Queen in apology.

“Calm down Chan,” The King soothed, hand holding the Queen’s hand and kissing the top of it. “Junhong didn’t mean it.” Himchan moved his glare to his husband instead.

“This is why the kid never learns, you spoil him too much Guk.” Yongguk only gave him a gummy smile before standing up from his throne to pat the Jack comfortingly on the head, the sight painting a small smile on the Queen’s face by how ridiculous it looks considering Junhong is a few centimeters taller than the King, despite him being younger by quite a few years.

“Well,” The King started, earning a full laugh from his Queen by how much more ridiculous he looks with the Jack’s pouting form latched on him like a koala – Junhong always did seem to like him more than the Queen. “Who can really resist this cute kid?” He patted the ash colored hair again.

His Husband only shook his head in amusement but said nothing more. It was a known fact throughout the whole Country of Suits that the Jack of Spade was the King and Queen’s son, having adopted him when the King saw him frozen and almost dying at an alleyway during a snowstorm – the Jack’s mark not showing up until a few more years.

Needless to say, both the King and Queen were not happy by the turn of events – a polar opposite of the overjoyed reaction the whole people of Spades had. Junhyung didn’t even know what was going on.

A knock on the door brought all three monarchs back to the present, a commander from the army kneeled in front of the three. “I’m sorry to interrupt, Your Majesties, but the army requires the Queen’s presence. We should start discussing the plans for war.” Himchan released an annoyed sigh before, giving his son a hug and his husband a peck on the lips, sauntered out of the throne room heavy boots clanking and his deep azure coat billowing behind him.

With one last bow, the commander hurriedly followed along the Queen’s long and fast strides, the heavy doors closing behind him with a loud bang.

The whole room was bathed with silence before the Jack whimpered, hand grasping harder on the King’s arm.

“Appa,” Junhong whispered, face turned to the ground with the most miserable expression on. Yongguk found his heart breaking at the sight. “Will everything be okay?”

Yongguk bit his lip before bringing the Jack into a tight hug. “I don’t know kid… I don’t really know.”

All around them, the snow started falling faster and the winds picked up in speed – a sign of yet another incoming snow storm coming to graze the eternal wintery Kingdom of Spades.


A/N: Changed my mind, decided to make this a chaptered story. But it won’t be too long, 10-15 chapters at most.