you are flatter than paper.

Make It Red

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

you are flatter than paper.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There were three fists raised up in the air.

 

 

 

 

At that point they speedily moved down and eventually stopped. Those fists belonged to three boys who were standing in front of a huge building. A university building to be exact. The tension was unbearable as all three of them changed their balled hands into something different. It was maybe a bit childish and immature for them but a great way to solve arguments and chores.

 

 

 

 

"Rock, paper scissors!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

The outcome was two flat palms against one fist.

 

 

 

 

There was only one loser.

 

 

 

 

 

"Why is it always me?!" A boy let out an agonising complaint despite the fact two other boys smirked and said that it had something to do with talent and strategy. The whining boy didn't stop his act- his voice came out firmly, but there was a concerned flutter in his stomach that warned him about his non-existent rock-paper-scissor skills. Lu Han was always bad at it so he didn't know why he even agreed to that. And probably because he was bad at anything else too. His dark hair contrasted his pale skin and lay back from his ears.

 

 

As he had lost that simple game his blank eyes shone with revenge, biting back a threatening smile. He scrunched up his nose to preserve the rest of his pride when Kyungsoo shoved papers and books into his arms. That was his punishment. To do the group work on his own. The other guy Kai was already used to Lu Han failing and didn't make a scene out of it. No matter how many times Lu Han had lost a game- he would not get used to it.

 

 

He clenched his teeth against the urge to break out in frustrated tears while weighting the papers and books.

 

 

 

 

It was so heavy.

 

 

 

 

"Y-You know what? You'll crawl back to me when I'll get us an A." Lu Han forcefully said and threw one leg over the other, standing on unstable feet. He dug his fingers into the material of the books and his face changed back into a bored one. He wasn't disinterested- just annoyed that he kept on losing. The only person he could play with was Kyungsoo. Sometimes Kai as well but they weren't that close. Close enough to call each other friends but not that kind of close when complaining about being unpopular.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows and gave him an are-you-for-real look. The reason to that was that Lu Han always said that kind of stuff along the lines of being smarter than them. This was not really the case since Lu Han squeezed his way through high school and currently in college too. He wasn't smart- not particularly dumb but not a genius. He got easily bored rigid when studying and would put his laptop over his books to watch a movie. It wasn't a secret that he disliked studying. At times he would even call Kyungsoo out of boredom even though he knew that the latter was studying.

 

 

 

 

"Why do I have troubles believing you?"

 

 

 

 

 

Lu Han's eyes widened, feigning shock and confusion. Then this slowly faded away along with comprehension, "You are supposed to stick with me. I'll show you how it's done. Watch me." Giving one last offended glance, Lu Han scowled and walked off while carrying the books with effort. He didn't turn around but could hear Kyungsoo and Kai laugh. This triggered him to walk faster so that he didn't need to hear them anymore. He would show them that he was capable of succeeding. He wasn't stupid. Due to his rage and mindless thinking he didn't realise that he was going to the wrong direction.

 

 

He didn't care. Lu Han simply continued his work and tried to manage the many papers as good as possible. He couldn't remember whose stupid idea it was to play. Why couldn't they all do their own part? Actually Lu Han wouldn't have done it and make one of them do it for him. Or he would purposely mess up and let them redo it. He wasn't an evil person- just a bit indolent. If he would have been a tiny bit more popular than he could have other people do it for him. But no, he was doomed as the wallflower everyone ignores and sometimes even miss on their register.

 

 

 

For example a classmate didn't notice Lu Han and they had been together in that class for three months.

 

 

 

 

He didn't talk a lot and whenever he did someone would just cut him off.

 

 

 

 

 

Sighing Lu Han stuck the key into his apartment door and pushed the door open. He was living alone. Was it a good idea? Probably not since he was living off instant noodles and coke. His relationship with his parents was strained since they disliked the idea of him going to Korea to study. He could have studied in China too. But Lu Han really couldn't have this conversation because it would just make everything more complicated. And he wasn't up for that.

 

 

Lu Han was independent- he was working as a waiter and earned enough money to survive. It was just that his peculiar and dazed personality made it difficult for him to make friends. Nobody really approached him when he was in his first year and that was fine with him. Exhausted by the additional weight he tossed his body on the couch, pressing his face against the material. Not even two seconds passed when he scrambled off the couch and the light to his bedroom with his foot since his arms were still occupied.

 

 

Then he let the books and research materials drop on the table. He briefly had time to look at the mirror and when seeing how tired he seemed he directly looked back. His reflection in the mirror told Lu Han that he needed to get rid of his persistently upset face. Running a mental record of all the stuff he had with him, Lu Han knew that it would take a lot of his time to even read what he had to do. He whined over this difficulty for a few minutes, and then decided to look deeper into the mirror while raking his bangs on his forehead.

 

 

 

Ending his face inspection with a kissy face, he pointed at his reflection:

 

 

 

"You'll study and get an A."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sitting in the darkened room roughly two hours later, the comfortable chair against his back, Lu Han grasped the plastic cup tighter. He held the cup on his pulled in knees and slurped the noodles as loudly as he could. There wasn't anyone to tell him off for his lack of manners. Or pull the curtains together since it was already dark outside. His heart was racing nervously, and his stomach felt hot. He didn't really want them to think that he was a good for nothing.

 

 

He removed his focus from the letters on the laptop screen to glance back at his own work. Would he ever be able to finish? Slurping once more Lu Han attempted to note everything neatly down. He couldn't say it enough of how important this was for him. He looked down immediately, chewing the inside of his cheek. He would prove them all how smart he could be. It had nothing to do with his friends since at the end he would also show himself that he could be hard working. Lu Han was sick of being the wallflower.

 

 

 

 

Only because he didn't like talking he was stamped with that title.

 

 

 

 

A chilly breeze caused Lu Han to freeze as he was wearing a white long shirt over his boxer shorts. Although it was cold anyway he thought that more clothing would just irritate him. He put the cup away next to the laptop and rested his head on his knees, taking a deep breath. Lu Han should have been better than working in this slow pace. He swiped his face with his hands. It was a simple move out of boredom but Lu Han positioned his feet on the edge of the table and pushed himself back with his swirling chair, to the middle of the room. Legs were still outstretched when he glanced to his open window- his heart instantly stopped beating.

 

 

 

 

 

Lu Han didn't move an inch; instead his eyes were fixated on this person who was sitting on his windowsill.

 

 

 

 

He sat on his chair numbly for a few moments, clenching and unclenching his fists. Was this reality or not? Did Lu Han fall asleep while studying? Why did he feel like his chest was being crushed? If this was a potential thief then Lu Han wasn't scared. He wasn't scared that he could get kidnapped any second.

 

 

 

If anything he was fascinated.

 

 

 

 

The face of that person was as pale as moonlight that cascaded upon them; his dark hair was glistening with this light. Everything about his appearance screamed that Lu Han should run away but the urge to find out more was overwhelming. His eyes burned with passion and desire and something Lu Han couldn't count together. That was why he could only watch.

 

 

 

How this undeniably attractive guy somehow managed it to fall down with his face on the floor first was unexplainable.

 

 

 

 

"! Help me!"

 

 

 

 

Frozen for a moment Lu Han didn't realise that he had told him something, "That was really embarrassing." Lu Han was saying, his loud voice annoying on the stranger's nerves for some reason. Still laying on the floor he raised a brow and gave him an impatient glance.

 

 

"Move yourself or do you want me to stay here forever?" He demanded even though after all this talking he could have easily gotten up on his own. He apparently didn't have any manners either. Lu Han stared at him blankly; his gaze slid over the face of the person and tried to remember it for future references. Lu Han would remember his waiting face, staring at him expectantly, anticipation radiating from his face.

 

 

 

Of course Lu Han would help him. He shifted forwards with his and was moving together with his swirling chair. He was still sitting on it and didn't get off. Then he stretched out his bare leg so that he stranger could hold on it. This may have been rude and again showed that Lu Han didn't have any etiquettes but whatever. That was how he was. To his surprise the stranger didn't say anything and merely held onto the provided ankle. Afterwards he hastily pulled it so that Lu Han fell off his chair and landed as well on the floor.

 

 

 

 

When he moved his head to the left and could see the other's smiling face, Lu Han glared.

 

 

 

"Now that was embarrassing." The other imitated Lu Han's earlier sentence and still didn't drop his smile. Lu Han had gone on to express his belief that he was not embarrassed and therefore the situation was not embarrassing. There were other things he had done that could be considered as embarrassing. He knew that he had little to no attention given from others so therefore he didn't know how to categorise embarrassing actions anymore.

 

Despite Kyungsoo's constant efforts to convince him otherwise, Lu Han stuck determinedly to his view, and had expressed his wish to not be a wallflower anymore. This was why he didn't care if someone who came through his window would tell him that his actions were embarrassing. It had no effect on him. Nice try, he had to admit that.

 

 

"Well can you help me up? It's not like you have anything else to do." The guy picked that subject up again, looking at the other who was also laying down. What was his problem? Couldn't he stand up on his own? Lu Han sighed and stood up while dragging the other also up. He acted like a child since he didn't even offer Lu Han a hand. Who was he? There was no introduction so how was Lu Han supposed to interpret this odd situation? He trying to keep his face straight and not explode with a hundred questions.

 

 

It was almost scary that Lu Han always complained that he didn't have many-hardly any friends. That he had always felt like a lifeless bundle floating through life without delight or feelings, and now he was about to make friends with a bratty thief. Brat was a good word to describe him as he without asking moved towards Lu Han's noodles. He stared at it as if he wanted to find out what it was. Following that he instinctively took the chopsticks into his hands and poked the noodles. He picked the food up and led it to his mouth, eating with a thoughtful face.

 

 

 

He was probably deciding if he liked it or not.

 

 

 

Lu Han swore that he saw something shiny in his mouth which looked like a different tooth.

 

 

 

Way sharper than the others.

 

 

He snuck a glance at the boy, not quite believing that he was shamelessly eating his food and had such a sharp tooth. Actually it was two of them, on the other side too. It was weird what he was doing in a stranger's house. But this behaviour clearly was there to show him that he was not there to steal and rather eat. Maybe he did have a different reason too but right now he didn't signify it. 

 

 

After the initial moment when he had wanted to find out if he liked it, it was calm. Lu Han seemed not to doubt this situation and behaviour and was sure that he only came to eat. It did baffle him but at least he wasn't getting kidnapped. Surely he should have been more angry or scared that a stranger was acting like this. Certainly such a bad situation could not have been fixed so easily but Lu Han didn't have a problem and let the other eat.

 

 

 

Until his face changed into a disgusted one and was sure to spit it out, "That was gross....I Prince Sehun...deserve better treatment..."

 

 

 

Surprised by the change of attitude Lu Han didn't listen to those important words and simply tried to get a tissue. He ran to his desk and hastily slipped one out from its package while the other began complaining that this was an atrocious taste. Lu Han didn't know what drove him but instead of throwing the tissue to him, he marched to him and held the tissue in front of his mouth:

 

 

 

"Spit it out!"

 

 

 

"I'm not a baby!"

 

 

 

"Alright then choke on it."

 

 

 

 

 

And this how a whole lot of noodles met Lu Han's face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

Splashing an endless amount of hot water against his face, Lu Han couldn't differentiate the water from his own tears. He was in shock. How could a grown boy do that to him? He had to be around 15 to 16 with his height and behaviour. He was a bit taller than Lu Han but even so nobody older than that would have spit on other people for the reason that they have lost an argument. Lu Han didn't know what he should do next because this boy didn't leave and probably looked through his stuff. After all the splashing and cleaning, his face reddened which caused him to grab the towel.

 

 

 

His bangs were pulled up into an apple hairstyle so that it wouldn't get wet. Chucking the used and slightly clammy towel on his couch when entering the living room, Lu Han's eyes were burning and his throat ached. He knew he was struggling to not go crazy, and felt pathetic. Why did he have to listen to someone younger than him? He was a college student dammit. And this brat had no right to command him like this. Lu Han could only imagine what was going in in his room when he stood in front of the door.

 

 

 

His eyes widened, and then he began to shake his head 'no'. Not wanting to believe that thought, he knew that he had to prove himself in any way possible that his work was left untouched. He shoved the door open and his eyes instantly fell on his desk. Everything was fine. Lu Han let out a sigh when he saw the brat playing with his swirling chair. Confusion and captivation shone in his eyes as if it was his first time seeing this.

 

 

 

Stepping into the room Lu Han was breathing heavily from the fear of his work getting ruined. Why was he acting like this? What was so great about this chair? Lu Han looked up, his eyes burning, and then his heart stopped. He needed answer and had to approach the other calmer than last time. Feeling a shudder move through him, he swallowed with some difficulty during the silence and once again approached the other.

 

 

 

 

"Hey what's your name."

 

 

There was it again. Lu Han sounded so tired and disinterested that his question didn't sound like one. It wasn't his fault that he was like that. He couldn't help himself.

 

 

 

"Prince Oh Sehun. And who are you to eat this disgusting food?" Not facing him Sehun turned then around and plopped himself on the chair. He finally raised his head and waited for an answer. Instead of answering Lu Han used this moment to look at the boy in front of him from head to toe. He had dark brown hair- maybe light Lu Han couldn't tell. He was also wearing black. Utterly black leather pants, black shirt, black leather jacket and something on his back that seemed like a cape? It made him look so much younger.

 

 

"Hey! Pay attention to me!"

 

 

 

This call caused Lu Han to freeze and snap out of his thoughts. What did he say? He was a prince? Was that a joke or not? He appeared to be so serious that Lu Han felt bad for thinking otherwise. He did give the impression of being a spoilt brat.

 

 

 

How should Lu Han respond? He didn't know how to react to that as the other wasn't joking. Forgetting that he should better introduce himself too Lu Han shook his head and slowly nodded. What could he know, maybe Sehun was a prince.

 

 

 

 

"What kind of prince are you?" It came out tumbling from his lips as his body trembled. Why would a prince come to him? And most of all why through a window? There was something Sehun should try. It was called a door...very convenient. Shaking his head once again he repeated the question. He wanted to know what his reason for coming was.

 

 

But he had never expected Sehun to open his mouth as wide as he could and point at his two fangs. They were fangs- without doubt.

 

 

Lu Han's suspicions were true. He felt the weight of his uneasiness settle around his shoulders and it was not a good feeling. Taking a wobbly step back, he slowly nodded and told himself that they were fake. They had to be. Lu Han was blinking dumbly up at the one sitting in front of him, his eyes taking stock of his expression. His eyes dropped and didn't make it back up to his face. Lu Han shook his head for the third time and waited for the other to elaborate.

 

 

As it was, Lu Han's heart was pounding so fast and so heavily he could feel it in his temples and stomach, and he knew that something was going terribly wrong.

 

 

 

Sehun whirled himself on the chair once and then stopped again right in front of Lu Han, "I'm a vampire prince. I thought it was obvious. I'm looking for my human ex-girlfriend." He said that as if this ridiculous story made sense and was totally normal. It wasn't. Who would believe something like that? Feeling stupid by his temporary fear Lu Han sighed and walked back to his work. Nobody would believe that something like would ever be true so why would Lu Han? He scoffed and sorted his work out; preparing the poster he had to create alone. Since Sehun had the chair and Lu Han didn't want to ask him- he decided to work while standing.

 

 

 

It wasn't a good idea since Sehun couldn't keep his comments to himself.

 

 

 

 

"Your is flat. Mine is better. But I like your thighs."

 

 

 

 

Lu Han knew how to solve that and purposely pushed his towards Sehun as he started writing a new sentence. Although Sehun had earlier complained, this time he was quiet and didn't say a word. It would just fuel the other's ego. Lu Han's biggest worry was to work on his project rather than paying attention to a delusional little brat who didn't know how to read the calendar since it was not Halloween. He had to ace this. And maybe when presenting on the day after tomorrow he would be able to get the attention from his classmates.

 

 

 

 

He didn't have time for Sehun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three hours of stillness had passed.

 

 

 

 

 

Lu Han looked back on the poster, knowing that he undoubtedly was the only person in the world who was a spending his Saturday night doing homework. It was not that he wanted to do it; his mean friends forced him to work on their project alone. Well Lu Han had lost a game in which the loser would work on it. So he could either carry on with working or keep talking to this 'vampire'. It was clear which option he chose to spend his time with.

 

 

 

"Wow you are really lazy. Are all humans lazy?"

 

 

 

The boy called Sehun blatantly said that and took a seat on the bed he saw. This was not untrue since Lu Han had been staring at the blank poster for the past five minutes.

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey! How are you talking to your elders..." Turning his head around to the bed, Lu Han pointed his toe on the annoying boy.

 

 

 

Lu Han didn't deny that he was lazy but disrespecting him was another thing.

 

 

 

 

Sehun shrugged his shoulders.

 

 

 

 

"I'm older than you. But in human years I would be 17."

 

 

 

Lu Han had to overpower the urge to fall into laughter. He was funny. In human years? Sehun was totally into his character as a vampire. It was cute and amusing because he was so serious when he said that. As if he just had to be true.

 

 

 

"Human years?! Yes of course...I'm 23 so respect me."

 

 

 

Sehun nodded, totally understanding this:

 

 

 

 

"That explains your wrinkles."

 

 

 

 

 

That would be a long night.

 

 

 

 

 

A very very long night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

It wasn't clear for him when exactly he had fallen asleep. Lu Han didn't know himself that he could sleep while standing. But one thing was sure. Sehun was gone when he had opened both of his eyes. And instead of standing Lu Han was sitting on his swirling chair. Dropping his glance on his work, he sighed and shook his head. There was so much more to go. Now he had to sacrifice his Sunday too. He turned his head around the whole room but no annoying brat was in sight. He was gone. Or was he ever there in the first place?

 

 

 

It could have just been a dream.

 

 

 

Rubbing his face and squeezing his eyes shut to avoid the burning morning sunlight; he got up and made his way to the bathroom. Maybe the reason why Sehun wasn't there anymore was the sunlight. He was a vampire. But no- that he had an explanation for his was just embarrassing. He wouldn't believe it. The reason why he wasn't there anymore was that he never existed in the first place. He had to get himself together. Lu Han patted his cheeks in front of the mirror, staring at his own tired reflection.

 

 

He didn't know why but then he put his foot on the edge of the bathtub and moved himself up to properly have a look in the mirror. His hands were tightly clutching the sink. Then he turned himself around so that he could have his in his vision.  Gazing at it in deep thoughts he bit his lips:

 

 

 

"Is it really flat?"

 

 

 

 

The answer was that he slipped on the bathtub and fell down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He had decided that he wouldn't spend his Sunday thinking about someone from his dreams. He had to get his project done and get an A afterwards. He would do that and nothing else. Despite Kai being part of the bet he was a year below them and not even in their class. This didn't matter since he was smart anyway and could work his way through. Unlike Lu Han who belonged to the class and still had problems. He did his best throughout the day and didn't spend a single thought on anyone.

 

 

 

Not Sehun or anyone else.

 

 

 

 

Only then he was able to finish his project just on time. The day was so quickly over that he didn't have time to properly eat. He didn't have time to do anything but studying and finish that stupid poster. He wanted to complete it and shove it on Kyungsoo's face. The night quickly arrived when Lu Han weakly let his body fall onto his bed. He was so tired and could fall asleep on the spot. Maybe he would do that. Maybe he would also think about Sehun. Lu Han whined and buried his face between the several pillows.

 

 

 

 

The person who randomly broke into his house and talked about being a vampire prince.

 

 

 

 

This time Lu Han fell asleep without someone watching over him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"And how is it?"

 

 

 

 

Feeling someone nudge his side, Lu Han glanced to his left side and could see Kyungsoo smiling at him. It wasn't a normal how-was-your-weekend smile but an I-hope-you-had-fun-working smile. There were countless reasons why Kyungsoo would ask about that. But the most obvious one was that he wanted to know if Lu Han had done it well. It was after all his project too and therefore also his grade at risk. He wasn't very sure about his friend's skills but could be sure that they were alright.

 

 

Lu Han had the poster curled together against his chest and hummed, "Pretty good. I'm after all amazing, no joke." It was not a surprise that Lu Han self-praised himself since he tended to do that a lot. He thought that he did everything well. Of course he would. They were both on the way to their class and like always Lu Han was ignored by other passing students. They accidently pushed him forwards or elbowed him or anything close to that. Like earlier mentioned he had already gotten used to it. To the mistreatment. He didn't blame them because Lu Han was someone who didn't say much and always sounded annoyed.

 

 

 

 

He wasn't bullied, just overlooked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Do you...believe in vampires?" Lu Han muttered this question and stared down but Kyungsoo got the sense he was actually serious. Their eyes met and he could see that he felt torn between asking again and dropping it. There was also another unknown emotion reflected in Lu Han's eyes which shattered before he had a chance to identify it. He barely heard Kyungsoo's answer, but he heard, and his tone alone was enough to let him think again. According to Kyungsoo he wasn't sure if there were other people around. The universe was so big so why should humans be the only one to exist?

 

 

Still, that couldn't really excuse what Lu Han had seen. It surely wouldn’t excuse that a vampire had been in his room. That would explain why he was so self-conscious about his backside. He didn't know what to think but Kyungsoo's answer gave him hope that he hadn't been dreaming.

 

 

 

 

He entered his class as Kyungsoo walked over to his seat.

 

 

 

 

Hearing faintly the words of his teacher Lu Han opened up his book and sighed.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of Make It Red!

 

I also hope that you enjoyed Hunhan’s characters :)

 

I don’t know when the next chapter is out but do leave comments~

 

BYEEEE

 

 

 

bomi xoxo