Christmas Special

Challenge

            To say I was nervous was an understatement. I was downright terrified. In a robotic manner, I checked my watch for what seemed the nth time before putting my arm down, and had no clue what hour it was. I was walking back and forth, sometimes hopping from a foot to the other, some other time doing a mediocre attempt of a dance move. Just anything to distract my mind.
            I don’t remember how long I played that little game but unfortunately came the time for him to arrive. It was all too soon for my liking. He walked towards me, flashing that absolute beautiful smile of his. At that I smiled back, forgetting all about my previous nervousness and feeling my chest flutter. It was so good to see him in three dimension again. I wouldn’t say that I forgot how he looked like throughout these six months. Let’s just say that skype video calls didn’t do him any justice.
            By the time he was only a few meters away from me, I was smiling like a love struck fool. I shall forever blame Yongguk for that.
            Finally my body recovered and moved forward, closing the small gap between us both. His arms wrapped around the small of my back and pulled me tightly against his body. My eyes were closed as I breathed in his scent. How I had missed it. That sense of security and home I got every time his scent filled me. But there was only one thing missing. I looked up to meet his eyes. His face was incased in the fluffy hood of his coat but I could see him beaming at me nevertheless. My hands got up to grip on the collar of his coat and I pulled him down as I tiptoed since he was still too tall for me. Our lips finally met. For the first time in six months. I let his tongue pass my lips and meet my own, making the kiss last longer. Although I would have gladly went on with this lovely activity of ours, I did need some air. I pulled back totally breathless and a little lightheaded.

            “Well. Merry Christmas to me indeed!” I said, drawing his sweet laugh that I love, out.

            “I missed you so much.” Yongguk told me and his eyes said it too. That was something that always amazes me, how his eyes could convey such emotions. Yongguk was an open book when you knew how to look into his eyes.
            He leant down and once again his lips were on mine. When we were both satisfied, he pulled away and let me go to start taking my gigantic suitcase.

            “Let’s go! The boys are desperate to meet you! I’m so happy you’re back!” he said joyfully whereas I froze in place. All my nervousness crashing back at me. I was so not ready for this. He must have felt my distress because he looked at me with worried eyes.  “What’s wrong? Aren’t you happy to be back?”

            “No.” I said without thinking, my eyes widen when I realized how that might have sounded so I rushed to speak. “No I’m happy, I just, it’s… you know… it’s… I mean…” Okay. I was literally making no sense there. Yongguk was looking at me, utterly confused. I stopped my stupid rant to breathe in deeply. “I’m more than happy. I’m just going to die from nervousness.”

            “Well you were the one that said you were ready to meet them.” Damn him.

            “Did you really have to point that out!” I said which only made him chuckle.

            “Come on, they will love you and you will love them.” He extended his hand for me to take it. All playfulness left me. My hands got sweaty and I had to wipe them on my trousers before taking his hand.
            We had to make a quick stop at my apartment for me to leave my suitcase and clean up before we left for his dorm. And towards my eminent death.

*

            “Wait, wait, wait!!” I said pulling him back. Unfortunately for me, he is stronger than me and kept dragging me towards his dorm carelessly and with a smile on his handsome face. I couldn’t believe his patience. I had been stopping every 2 meters for the last five minutes and he didn’t even raise his voice once. How he managed to be so patient, I had no idea.
            We only had a few meters left before turning left and face his dorm. My hands got sweaty once again, my heart beat fastened and suddenly I felt like suffocating. He must have felt it because he stopped and turned to me.

            “I swear you were less nervous when you met my parents.” He said trying to understand why I was acting like this.

            “If your boyfriend’s friends don’t like you, it is game over. If his parents don’t, they will at least have the decency to pretend.” He scoffed and shook his head at that.

            “If you are afraid they won’t like you, don’t worry anymore. They are already in love with you. Honestly, I think I should be the one to be scared.” With that he kissed my cheek and proceeded walking me towards the front door.

            When he opened the door, we were met with chaos. Jongup and Zelo were running around, throwing, what was supposed to be decorations, at each other, shielding themselves with plates. Two chairs were lying on the floor, probably having been knocked over by the two young boys. 
            Then I saw someone being pushed out of a room that I guessed was the kitchen.

            “Out! For the love of god, Daehyun, get out of the kitchen, and stop eating all the food!” An angry Himchan said at Daehyun whose mouth was filled with food, wearing a goofy grin.
            And in all this chaos, Youngjae was sitting on the sofa with a book and his headphones, oblivious about everything around him.
Daehyun was the first to spot us.

            “Ah hyung! You’re back!” he said cheerfully, looked at me with a smile and then back at Yongguk. “And you brought the Mrs.!” For some reason his words made me blush madly. Yongguk didn’t get the chance to say anything as Himchan got out of the kitchen and started talking.

            “Thank god you are back! You need to help me!” He said in total panic. He then looked at me, offering me a smile. “Oh hello, it’s nice to finally meet you! I’m sorry but I’ll have to borrow this young man for a little while.” He said before dragging Yongguk away from me. He gave me an apologetic smile before disappearing inside the kitchen with his best friend. 
            I stood there, alone, without knowing what to do. I started feeling very uneasy just standing in their living-room without a purpose. How could he leave me like that? He knows how anxious I can get! As I started to panic once again I heard steps coming towards me. Youngjae was coming up to me, having gotten up from the sofa.

            “It’s really nice to finally meet you noona!” he said while bowing to me. He then nicely asked to take my coat and the bag of presents I was still holding in one hand.
            Yongguk was still nowhere to be found so he proceeded into showing me around. It was quick since their dorm wasn’t exactly a palace but, as Youngjae said, it was enough for them. I found myself relaxing as we were talking. Youngjae was someone very easy going and interesting. We talked about this and that, sitting in their living-room. During your conversation, the maknae line came in and sat down with us, turning our conversation into a more playful one. All the anxiety I felt before coming had vanished. They made me feel at ease, always including me in their discussion, always filling me in when I couldn’t understand what they were talking about. These boys were just a bunch of dorks, just like my boyfriend.
            We were still talking when we heard a commotion coming from the kitchen. We all craned our necks to look at the door that flew opened with what looked like a very pissed Himchan.

            “I swear I’m gonna kill you if you don’t get the out of the kitchen, Jung Daehyun!” while pushing Daehyun out he spotted Youngjae. “You take care of him. Tape him to the sofa, glue him to the floor, I don’t care! Just keep him out of the kitchen!” he said kicking Daehyun’s and slamming the kitchen door.
            Daehyun joined us in the living-room as if nothing happened. He was still wearing that playful smile as when he greeted me. I saw that Youngjae was shaking his head as he looked at the older boy next time. Daehyun must have felt his stare since he turned to him.

            “What?”

            “You never learn, do you?” Youngjae said in a tired manner, as a father would say at his child making the same mistake over again.

            “I believe I don’t know what you are talking about.” Daehyun answered in a very posh tone which made me smile. Sitting with them and talking so freely made me feel a bit silly for being so scared of finally meeting them.

            Half an hour later, we were all seated at the table, having started eating already. I was seated between Yongguk and Jongup, Daehyun and Youngjae facing us. Himchan and Zelo being at the opposite far ends of the table. Himchan told me he had been “working his off” in the kitchen for the whole day. He teased Yongguk saying that if it was for him, we would have had ramen as our Christmas dinner. I laughed at that, knowing it was close to the truth.

            “Noona, how was it working abroad? Yongguk hyung told us you went there as a photographer” Zelo asked during dinner, his eyes shining with curiosity.

            “Ah yes, a teacher of mine was working on a project and asked me to be is assistant. It was very different from here, that’s for sure. I got to discover several cities in England and a whole different way of working. It was very instructive.” I explained to him and then asked him. “What did you think of London when you went there?”

            “We didn’t get to see much as we were having our concert and filmed an mv, but I really liked it!”

            “I think I will come back some day, I really enjoyed the English country side.”

            “Oh please take Yongguk with you when you go back! He was miserable for a whole week when you left! He got even quieter than he usually is and was a pain to work with!” Himchan teased, a goofy grin plastered on his face.
            I turned to look at Yongguk, a smile spreading when I notice the tip of his ears going pink in embarrassment.

            “You told me you were fine when we skyped.”

            “Of course he did! Wouldn’t want to worry you!” Himchan spoke up for my boyfriend. The teasing went on for a little while, Yongguk growing more embarrassed at the second. I thought it was cute. He wasn’t one to shower me with big love declarations but his actions always shown how much he loved me. He looked at me sheepishly, hoping I wasn’t ashamed of him but I gave him a huge smile, assuring him he didn’t.
            But they didn’t stop there. In fact they made a point of honor to keep teasing and embarrassing him. They went on telling me how moody and ill-tempered he had been while I was away. Youngjae and Daehyun started to act it out, Daehyun impersonating Yongguk throwing himself against the table with his head in his arms, dramatically saying how he couldn’t live anymore. Youngjae was enacting Himchan, trying to cheer up his friend while telling him that he was still by his side and whining about how he wasn’t enough for Yongguk. They went on with it, Jongup dying from laughter while Zelo was clutching his stomach. Even Yongguk was laughing.
            Dinner went one, with the usual chit-chat as we all stuffed our stomachs with more and more of delicious food. Himchan could open a restaurant if he ever wanted out of show-business, I thought.  
            Then came the time for the presents. The maknae line was in charge of delivering the gifts to all of us. Even if I didn’t know them personally, I tried to find a present that they would like according to what I could see on the variety shows they had done this year. I didn’t expect them to buy me anything but I found myself with a little pile of wrapped gifts in front of me.
            Himchan had gotten me some polaroid films and he told me Yongguk had once mentioned I loved taking pictures with my old polaroid. Daehyun had bought me some chocolates, making both of you laugh as I had bought him so sweets from England. Youngjae went with a book, he explained to me it was a English classic. He also told me that he had read it and loved it, assuring me I would like it. The maknae line had chipped in together to get me a wolf stuffed animal, knowing that it was my favorite animal. I thank all of them for their thoughtful gifts, feeling very blessed at the new friends I made tonight.

            “What did you get for hyung, noona?” Zelo asked you. Indeed he noticed that he didn’t see anything from you in front of Yongguk.

            “Oh…hum… I will give it to him later…” I felt myself blushing as they all stared at me.

            “Ooooh I see!” Himchan said wiggling his eyebrows and winking at me. I blushed a lot more, realizing what he was implying.
            I felt Yongguk taking my hand in his under the table. He knew perfectly well how embarrassed I was right now and that was his way of comforting me. His thumb was rubbing in circles on my hand and I leant closer to him, our shoulders touching. 

            It was way past midnight when I decided it was time for me to head back home. We all stood up since we were sprawled in the living-room, watching a movie while talking together. Yongguk was putting on his shoes as he decided to walk me home. We all bid our goodbyes and I thanked them all for welcoming so whole heartedly.
            When we were outside, we started walking hand in hand, lost in our own little world. I loved the sound of our footsteps in the snow. That faint noise that reminded me of my childhood.
            I was wrapped in my coat with one of Yongguk’s scarves around my neck, my hand in his pocket while holding his. We arrived at my place a little while later so we stopped in front of the door.

            “Soooo. I think it’s time for me to give you your Christmas present!” I was excited about this. I had thought about this for a while and tonight it felt just right. I took out of  my pocket, a little package all wrapped up, that I handed to him. While he was unwrapping the paper my heart was beating fast. I really hoped he would be fine with this. I saw his eyes widen when he understood that I just gave him some keys of my apartment.

            “Are you serious?” his head shooting up to look at me. I simply nodded feeling a bit shy at the moment. He flashed me his beautiful gummy smile before giving me a warm crushing hug. “Thank you so much.” He whispered in my ear while kissing my temple.
            I pulled away just a little and pecked his lips.

            “Do you want to stay the night?” I asked him with my lips brushing his. Yongguk only nodded before kissing me properly.

            “Merry Christmas my love.” I smiled at him and he smiled back.

            “Merry Christmas.”

***

Just a little something as it is Christmas Eve!

I hope you'll have nice holidays and an awesome Christmas!