Birthday Special

Challenge

            Everything has to be absolutely perfect. I am not having it any other way.  Today is Yongguk’s birthday and I have it all planed. Thanks to his band members’ help, I managed to have my apartment decorated with his favorite colors, the dinner table in my small living-room set for the occasion and his favorite kind of ramen ready to be cooked. Yeah I know ramen doesn’t seem like a fancy birthday dish but he insisted that he just wanted something simple and got me to promise I’ll cook his favorite for him.
This is the 6th birthday I celebrate with Yongguk as a couple but overall it is the 8th one.

            We’ve met when we were both in high school when he used to be underground. I was pretty interested in music and especially hip hop at that moment. One night a friend of mine, Sungjae that was an underground rapper, told me that I absolutely had to come to see him perform and that I would not regret it. Even if I was buried with homework I could never say no to him so I went. That is where I met Yongguk for the very first time. I remember seeing him before it was his turn to perform. He was standing away from most of the other rappers and had his eyes closed with his lips moving slightly. I had thought it must be his first time performing and looked away, not very interested. But how wrong was I! The moment he stepped on that small stage I was facing a total different person.
            His voice startled me at first. I would never have thought this was how he sounded. And the confidence he was showing impressed me. It was literally exuding from him making me unable to focus my attention on something else. And then there were his lyrics. My interest for music was always centered on the lyrics, how people managed to put words together and form those beautiful and powerful messages. Hearing Yongguk’s lyrics, there was no doubt to me that he worked hard on them. The words tangled themselves perfectly creating a bitter story of a man being deceived by society. I was left quite speechless at the end of his performance and the rest of the show was a blur. I don’t remember how but I was seated in the far corner of the room when Sungjae came back, he was so excited and I felt guilty not having paid attention to his own performance. He told me he wanted to introduce me to some of his friends so I followed.      
            Sure enough, Yongguk was there as well as another one of tonight’s performers. At one point Sungjae and the other guy left us alone and that was a very awkward moment. Two odd and shy kids left with one and the other in a room filled with people. Perfect. The awkwardness between us was beginning to be too much for me so I blurted out something about me enjoying his lyrics, startling him. He had shyly thanked me, giving me a shy smile and I asked him if he could tell me more about them. I remember clearly the flash of excitement in his eyes as he nodded and started speaking about them. That’s how I found that the best way to make Yongguk come out of his shell was by engaging a conversation focused on music. And how we became friends.

            I smile at the memory of our first meeting and how awkward we were back then. A lot had change now. We have been dating for six years already, he is working in the music industry which has always been his dream, and as for me I am a lyricist.
            I’m brought out of my thoughts by the doorbell so I move towards the door. When I open it Himchan is standing in front of it with his boyish grin plastered on his face.

            “Here is the cake for your beloved.” He says while handing me the package and entering my home. I laugh and thank him, walking in the kitchen to put the cake in the fridge until later tonight.
            “So!” I hear my Himchan’s voice from behind me. “What are you getting Yongguk?” he asks enthusiastically while leaning on the counter on the opposite side of me.

            “Ah! You can’t know before he does! That wouldn’t be fair!” I answer playfully knowing he’ll pester me to tell him.

            “Teeeeeeeell meeeeeeeeee!!! Pleaaaaaase!!!” He whines, putting some aegyo in his voice while I burst out in laughter at his childishness.

            “I’m not telling you Channie, end of story. Now out! He’ll be here soon enough and you are not invited!” I start pushing him towards the front door at the same time.

            “After everything I did for you today you kick me out like a vulgar insect! I’m hurt!” He fights back dramatically making me giggle once again.
            After fighting to push him towards the door we are standing in the corridor. Himchan trying to get back inside the flat and me blocking his way laughing my off. That boy is such a dork, I think to myself. As we fight playfully Yongguk arrives and raises eyebrows as a small smile creeps on his face. Himchan notices me looking pass him so he turns around to see what it is. He starts speaking up again but Yongguk just passes by him and warps his arms around me and places his lips gently on mine. We both hear Himchan’s “Eeeeeeew”, making both of us smile.

            “Well, now that Yongguk is here I think it is time for you to leave Channie.” I declare pulling away from Yongguk.

            “Now you can’t possibly celebrate your birthday without your best friend, can you!” Himchan turns to Yongguk trying once again to in. I smile shaking my head. I have to admire is perseverance I think to yourself.

            “We celebrated it at lunch Himchan.” He answers with fake annoyance in his deep voice.

            “Yeaaah but you know it’s imp-“

         “Goodnight Himchan.” Yongguk cuts him while shutting the door on his best friend. We hear the latter shout how ungrateful we both are before leaving for good this time. I take Yongguk’s hand in mine and pull him into the kitchen so we can finally start celebrating his 25th birthday.

            We eat while talking about this and that and I can see he is overjoyed about me sticking to my promise and made him ramen. It’s quite cute how easy it is to please Yongguk. The littlest thing can make him happy and that is something I love about him. Which is why I know for a fact that he’ll be over the moon with my birthday present.
            After eating some of the cake, we are sitting on my couch watching a movie he picked since he is the birthday boy. I push his arm off my shoulder which attracts his attention and he gives me a questioning look.

            “Time for your present.” I simply say smiling at him and he rolls his eyes at me.

            “I told you I didn’t want anything!” He argues and it’s my turn to roll my eyes at him. Each time it’s the same thing. Him telling me he doesn’t want nor need anything for his birthday. That he is happy the way everything is.

            “Yeah well this one is not something I can return!” I say and I see him frowning trying to understand what I mean.
            I stand up and I notice my hands are shaking a bit in nervousness. I get ahold of myself and I go pick up the envelope I have prepared for him. I come back, sit down on the couch handing him the piece of paper with a slightly shaky hand. He takes it kissing my cheek and I hold my breath as he opens the envelope. He pulls out the card I made a few weeks ago.
            On the card he can see a picture of him when he was younger, holding his faithful Tigger plushie and on the other half of the card there’s the picture of a crib and his Tigger sitting in it. He frowns trying to connect the pieces together and I wait nervously playing with my hands. He turns the card and I know he is reading the words “Are you ready to pass on your Tigger?”
            I see his eyes going over the words written on the back of the card and I wait. To me it seems like time has stopped until his frown changes into widen eyes as he is hit by realization. Very slowly he turns his head towards me, his mouth opening but closing as he tries to speak up.

            “You…You’re pregnant?” He asks and I just nod holding my breath once again.
In a flash I am pulled up and he has his arms tightly wrapped around me and it takes me a few seconds to look up at him. What I see makes me able to breathe again. He is looking down at me with the biggest smile I have ever seen on his face. I’m pretty sure his eyes are watering but I don’t get to check since he buries his face into my neck. I hold him against me and I can’t control my own grin to spread across my own features.

            “I… I’m going to be a dad!” He exclaims looking at me in adoration and I laugh lightheartedly feeling simply happy right now.

            “I believe you are.” I answer back. We smile at each other for a moment and then his lips come crashing down onto mine. We share a passionate kiss, his hands cupping my face as mine are running into his dark hair.

            “I love you so damn much.” He tells me with his forehead pressed against mine, his eyes shining.

            “So do we.” I say and that earns me other breathtaking kiss.

***

Happy Birthday Yongguk ♥