Memories

Challenge

                        Remember… Please remember…

            Those are the words I keep hearing. I’m their prisoner. I can’t escape those words. They follow me, wherever I go they will echo in me. I heard her say them so many times. When she thinks I don’t listen. When she thinks I’m asleep. When she thinks I’m too far away to hear. She only said them once, out loud for me to hear clearly. And that one time was all it took for them to get stuck in my mind. Each time I see her, I hear them. When she talks to me, I hear them. And when I think of her, I hear them. Loud and clear.

                        Remember… Please remember…

            I want to remember! I try and try! I search my brain to find what I have to remember. But I don’t find anything. That’s when I feel, in the back of my head, something small but still there. Like a tiny room where my memories are locked away. I try to open the door but it is locked. I look into my pockets but the key isn’t there. Where is the damn key?! I bang on the door as hard as possible, I push it, kick it, shove my shoulder against it as darkness starts to surround me, as usual. I feel myself falling. And everything goes black.

                        Remember… Please remember…

            The words again. I open my eyes and she is there, sitting next to my bed, looking at me. There is so much going on in her eyes. Each time I look into her beautiful eyes I see love, guilt, pain, despair along with hope. Each time I get lost in her eyes, trying desperately to find the answers to my questions. Is the love filling those eyes for me? Did I cause the pain that darkens her face? I know I did. How? Because each time I look into those eyes I feel the door to my memories shiver. Trying to break open.

                        Remember… Please remember…

            She lets go of my hand and it suddenly feels empty. She leans in and leaves a small kiss on my cheek which makes it feel extremely warm. She does that every time before going away and every time I wish she didn’t have to leave me. Every time, my heart misses a beat when her soft lips rest for less than a second on my cheek. And every time, I start wondering how her soft lips would feel on mine. Which brings me to the only thing I know for sure. This is the person I’m in love with and was before I got here.

                        Remember… Please remember…

            I wake up in the middle of the night, in cold sweats, heart beating furiously. The lights turns on next to me and I feel arms wrapping around my waist as those lips I love meet my shoulder.
            “It’s okay. You’re safe… You’re safe.”

                        And that’s when I know, I remembered.

 

***

 

Just a short drabble that I wrote some time before and thought would work for this one :)