Chapter 1

Pinwheels

The wind blew through the window as Haneul’s mom opened her window and say a sweet good morning to her while she rubbed her eyes and stretched her body. She nodded her to her mom when she told her to come down immediately after washing up. She sat up on her bed and smiled as the sight of four colored pinwheels spinning welcomed her.

She washed up and wore her uniform then ate breakfast with her family and finally walked her way to school. She hummed and bobbed her head along the music playing through her earphones and smiled brightly when she caught a sight of her best friend near the school gates.

“Jungkookie!!!” she shouted and ran to him, clinging her arms around his. The guy just gave him an annoyed look before ruffling her hair “Bad morning” he said

“Why? Something happened?” she asked concerned for her best buddy.

“Not really, I just saw you” he joked earning a punch in the arms from her.

“Yah!... oh wait Kookie do you have homework for Chemistry?” she asked sweetly and Jungkook knew what she wanted

“I have, but I won’t let you copy mine” he said

“But… yah Kookie am I not your bestfriend?” she whined

“I don’t even know why you are my bestfriend”

“Yah Jungkook, please. I won’t copy it all, I tried to answer some of them but some are just really hard. Please” she said with puppy eyes and a pout

“Heh, your aegyo won’t work on me! I’m immune already” he that made her pout more

“Ah, aegyo won’t work? Fine then I’ll tell Hyerim that you have a crush on her” she said like a warning

“Pfft as if she’ll believe you” he retorted, not scared of her threat

“Oh really? Then I’ll tell her that you’re the one who wrote her a letter” she said and observed Jungkook’s face that automatically turned pale.

“How did you know?” He asked with wide eyes while holding her shoulders

Hanuel narrowed her eyes at her bestfriend “Gotcha! Eh you’re my best friend but you’re keeping secrets? How could you? And I didn’t know I just guessed that it was you and well of course it turned out to be really you”

“Did you read it?”

“No, I’m not really close to Hyerim why would she show me the letter, but hey don’t forget the Chem homework”

“Aish fine” Jungkook said and playfully hit her head, scoring a glare from the girl.

The two walked their way to their building, they were in their second year of high school. Jungkook and Haneul were both pretty normal students, met during freshmen orientation, got in the same class, became tablemates and then became friends. They had other friends too but they were the closest to each other, maybe because they both came from Busan before high school.

When they reached the building’s entrance Jungkook was surprised when Haneul stopped him from walking and just jump and squeal like a crazy girl “Omo! Kookie look! It’s Taehyung!” she said and stared dreamily towards her crush, the cute guy named Kim Taehyung, another sophomore but in another class. “He’s so handsome”

“Pfft” Jungkook just look at Taehyung and rolled his eyes, he didn’t really like the idea of his bestfriend having a crush on Taehyung. It’s not because he liked her, no he already set his eyes to another girl, but because he thought that he cannot trust Taehyung when it comes to Hanuel. Even though Taehyung is popular, it was also known in their school that he was part of a gang. His only friends on the entire school were two seniors in the name of Namjoon and Hoseok, and both were known notorious. It was not a new thing to hear a news about them being involved in a fight.

“Why do you even like that guy so much?” Jungkook commented and roamed his eyes, noticing one guy from afar staring at them, but more likely staring at his friend beside him. Noticing the eyes on someone on him, the guy immediately walked away

“Because he’s nice”

“Tss nice? He’s one of the notorious boys now you know”

“Even if his friends are like that, it doesn’t mean that he’s already like them” she said entered the building

“I don’t believe your theory. Hey why don’t you just put your attention to that pinwheel guy?”

“Shut up. And I don’t even know who he is, but he’s sweet really. Wait today’s Friday right? Do you think there will be another letter?” she asked curiously

“I think there is, hmm and I think today’s pinwheel will be blue” Jungkook said

“How did you know?”

“Duh he has a pattern, it’s the rainbow you’re really dumb for not noticing it’s too obvious it’s already the fifth letter”

“Oh shut up” she said and rolled her eyes, but she knew that her bestfriend was right. She started receiving letters and pinwheels five weeks ago. She came to class and saw a red pinwheel stuck in her table with a white enveloped taped on its stick.  The inside was a letter from a guy and he confessed through the letter saying how much he liked Haneul ever since, but he hid himself with only the initials PJM. Since then, Haneul have been receiving letters and pinwheels every Friday, each containing sweet words and confession of feelings, and in each letter there was a small drawing of a rainbow colored pinwheel. It was sincere and sweet, that’s what she thought, if only he would reveal himself. She has already received four letters and four pinwheels—red, orange, yellow and green. So if there would be a letter again today, the pinwheel can be color blue. Noticing that the guy really loves pinwheels they called him the pinwheel guy. She kept all the letters and pinwheels, those that put next to her window.

They were just at door when they noticed the blue pinwheel on her table, since her table was beside the window, the pinwheel was spinning beautifully on top of it. “Told you” Jungkook said and walked to his seat, Haneul did the same and get the letter attached on the pinwheel, and she let the pinwheel on her table again. It was really a mystery who PJM was, it’s like he was always the first one to arrive at school since no one have saw a guy putting that on her table, not even the girl who was always early at their class.

Jungkook tried to snatch the letter away from her but she hold it away from him and stuck out a tongue at him. She opened the letter, the paper was scented as always—the smell of the forest, and she can’t help but to smile

 

 

You are the most beautiful ever created, more beautiful than the clearest sky and ocean.

And like the flowing river, my love for you will never end

I’m always here to protect you, and wishing someday you’ll finally see me and stare at me the same way I do for you

 

PJM

 

 

Haneul closed the leter and keep it safely inside her bag, ignoring Jungkook who was commenting on how greasy the pinwheel guy can be and other things. She stared at the spinning pinwheel on her table and smiled at it, she really wanted to meet the pinwheel guy already. Before she totally forgot she finally faced her bestfriend and asked for his homework.