friends

the unknown
 Unlike me, Daiyu had afternoon classes and so she was at school. I heard my aunt singing to an old song on the radio from downstairs in the kitchen.
 
I checked my appearance in my bedroom mirror. I decided to change from my uniform when I got home from school. I looked casual and simple, deciding to wear a burgundy jumper and denim shorts. My dark curly hair was tied up into a bun, a hairstyle I didn't often do at school. I also wore my silver necklace, a goodbye gift from one of my childhood friends back in Britain.
 
Suddenly I heard my phone buzz, it was a text from Jackson notifying me that he was outside the house. I ran down the stairs with my phone and bag in hand.
"Oh, Maya, you look so nice! Where are you going?" My aunt came out of the kitchen, looking at my outfit.
"Thank you auntie. Me and...a friend are going for a walk," I replied honestly. I still debated on the title 'friend'. Me and Jackson weren't friends or strangers, we were in the middle. But hopefully we could become friends after today.
My aunt nodded in response.
"Is it anyone I would know?"
I opened the door so she could view the dark haired boy, I was about to introduce him but my aunt interrupted.
"Oh, Jackson, it's so nice to see you again! How are you?" My aunt beamed. They knew each other?
"Annyeonghaseyo," Jackson said bowing deeply. "I'm well thank you. I hope you are in good health and that life is treating you well."
"I'm very well Jackson. I hope you two have a good time," Aunt said looking from me to Jackson.
I smiled at him, "Shall we go?" He nodded in reply.
 
"Your aunt is such a nice person," Jackson said as we were walking to the park.
"I'm surprised she really likes you!"
"Why are you surprised?" Jackson laughed, raising both eyebrows.
"Well...from what Daiyu told me you don't exactly have the best reputation. So I thought she would have told her parents about you, in a negative way," I explained.
Jackson shook his head and started laughing again. "Parents see my charm, particularly mothers."
I rolled my eyes at Jacksons subtle arrogance.
 
We were sat on a public bench in the park. The air was dry and cool, and the leaves were golden brown; mostly scattered across the floor or slowly falling from the trees.
"It's so beautiful here," I breathed.
Jackson nodded in agreement. "The stream over there is nice, I like it. It's tranquil here. You almost forget you're in such a busy city."
We sat in a comfortable silence for a couple of minutes.
"I like your necklace," Jackson observed.
"This? Oh thank you, a friend back in England bought it for me. As a goodbye present," I explained, playing with the silver chain between my fingers.
"Are you missing England? It must be like living in another world being over here," Jackson asked.
I nodded. "You're right, it is very different. I miss my parents and friends most of all."
"It must be tough. You're originally from London, I'm originally from Hong Kong- we're used to cities. But sometimes, they can be too fast paced and claustrophobic. One day I'd like a break from it all."
"I never thought about it that way," I replied, looking at Jackson seriously in the face. But Jackson was facing out towards the stream.
"Are you hungry?" Jackson asked.
I shook my head, "I'm fine for the time being."
"Okay...uh, what about um, are you thirsty?"
"I am a little," I replied honestly.
Jackson got to his feet abruptly. "What do you want?"
"Peach ice tea please."
"Wait here," Jackson said before walking up to the stand situated at one edge of the park.
 
Moments later he came back with two small bottles.
"I'm sorry they didn't have any peach tea. Are you okay with banana milk?" Jackson asked hestitantly.
"That's fine," I said taking a bottle from Jackson's hand.
"I also got you a chocolate bar," Jackson said giving me the bar.
I sipped my banana milk through a small straw. Two little children with their mother walked past and saw me and Jackson sipping our milk.
"Ummaaa, banana uyu, please please!" The brother and sister begged their mother, tugging at her arms.
She looked at Jackson and I and smiled, before walking off to buy her children the same popular drink.
"What do you think of your cousin and Jb?" Jackson asked.
"I think they're cute together. Daiyu told me that they have got a few strange looks occasionally when they've been in public together, but that's inevitable," I stated.
Jackson stopped sipping his milk and paused for a moment, looking out towards the stream before turning back to me.
"Why is it inevitable?" Jackson asked.
"They're different races, of course people are going to stare in an arguably homogenous country."
"And does that bother you?"
I shrugged. "Like I said, it's inevitable. You just have to learn to ignore the ignorance," I  said eating the remaining contents of chocolate.
"What do you think of them?" I returned the question.
"Jb really likes her, and I'm sure Daiyu feels the same way. I'm glad both sets of parents are understanding too."
 "It must be difficult for any couple where the parents don't accept them."
Jackson nodded, "What would you do in that situation?"
I thought for a moment. "I...I don't know."
 
After a while of deep thought and conversation, Jackson stared at me and started laughing.
"What?" I asked, now paranoid. "Oh nothing," Jackson continued laughing.
"Tell me Jackson," I whined shaking him gently by the arms.
"Okay okay, come here," Jackson said leaning towards me and using his thumb to wipe something off my bottom lip.
"It was chocolate, but it's gone now," Jackson said softly before turning away slightly.
I my lips self consciously.
 
An hour later me and Jackson were sat in an outside café, which was roughly a 10 minute walk from the park.
"Do you come here much?" I asked.
"Me and the boys used to come here a lot. Not so much now Yugyeom firstly and now Jb have to spend more time with their girlfriends," Jackson explained.
"Why don't you just invite Jessica and Daiyu along?" I asked.
"We'd have guy talks. Not exactly the best environment for two girls," Jackson laughed.
My mouth formed an 'o' shape in response.
"It's lovely here," I smiled.
"I'm glad you like it."
"I'd like to do this again, now we're friends," I explained.
"Me too. Are we still going to keep this a secret?" Jackson asked.
"It's no big deal. We hung out and we're friends now; that doesn't have to be kept a secret."
"What if I don't want to be your friend, huh?" Jackson stifled a laugh.
I kicked his leg gently under the table, it was more like a sudden touch. Jackson seemed surprised by my action.
I pouted my lips as if pretending to sulk and leaned over the table slightly. "Don't be so mean Jackson," I said in a baby voice.
Jackson shifted uneasily in his chair. His eyes were opened wide and I could see a tint of red underneath his paler cheeks. He probably thought I was weird.
"What?"
"Don't do the baby voice again," Jackson warned.
"Why not?" I pouted sitting back in my seat.
"And don't do that face with your lips, Maya."
"What face? This one?" I asked, repeating the face purposely.
Jackson lowered his eyes to the table.
"If we're gonna be friends, you're going to have to get used to this!" I giggled.
 
The city air was cold now and the evening sky was darkening. Me and Jackson were stood outside my house ready to say our goodbyes.
"You didn't have to go out of your way to walk me to the door," I smiled.
Jackson fiddled nervously with the buttons on his coat.
"I know but I wanted to. You can thank me later, one day, maybe."
What was he saying?
"Well thank you, I had a lovely afternoon Jackson. I'm glad we're friends now," I said softly.
Jackson stared at me once more. I didn't actually realise we were stood so close to each other.
"I did too," He replied, his lips. My eyes were focused on them when they should've been looking at his eyes.
I wasn't sure if I was romantisicing things but Jackson's eyes seemed a little brighter in the dim light of the evening. Maybe I was.
"I...I better go inside."
"Oh yeah, of course, um I'll see you tomorrow then," Jackson said, stepping away from the house.
"See you tomorrow," I repeated, opening the door and closing it behind me. I shut my eyes and exhaled in relief.
Daiyu walked over to me as soon as she heard the door close.
"You were with Jackson?"
"We're just friends, Daiyu." I said quietly.
"Maya the player, it's got a ring to it," my cousin joked.
We were just friends now, but Daiyu obviously had other ideas.
"Mark is not going to be happy, friend or no friend."
I swallowed nervously. Mark.
 
---
Hi Everyone! Thank you for all the recent feedback, it generally brightens my day to hear what you guys think of the story so far. Anyway, what did you think of this chapter? I'm not personally sure how I feel about Jackson, but it's entertaining to hear what you think. I'll have to see in the next few chapters who I like Maya with more. Remember to comment + subscribe. Lots of love,
 
Maria xo