mind games

the unknown

 "I've finally worked out how to solve it! You divide Pi instead of multiplying it," Bambam said, tapping at my scribbled algebra sheet.

We were both studying for a test in the library, our entire table scattered with textbooks and paper.

"Oh isn't my best friend clever?" I smiled, noting down what Bambam had just mentioned.

He grinned triumphantly and started doing the other questions on the revision sheet.

I was about to do the same when I heard my phone buzz. I expected to see a text from Daiyu or Jinhee, but the several digit number was unknown to me.

It read: "We need to talk. Meet me by the outside benches. J"

J? Jackson? It had to be.

Bambam must have read my nervous expression because he looked at my phone and back up to me.

"Mark?"

"Um...yeah." He asked me to meet him, I won't be too long though Bambam," I lied, packing away my textbooks into my bag.

As much as I hated lying to my close friends, Bambam and others likewise were now convinced that I liked Mark. I was convinced myself. So meeting Jackson would seem weird, I mean we weren't really friends. We just had mutual friends.

"I knew mine and Daiyu's truth or dare game plan would work," Bambam laughed and I rolled my eyes at him and walked out of the library.

 

I stepped outside and made my way to the benches. The air was beginning to feel autumnal and the leaves were browning. Seoul looked so pretty at this time of year.

I saw a figure sat on one of the wooden benches. Unsurprisingly, I was right, it was Jackson.

"Hi," I smiled. I sat down slowly next to him, making sure to leave the appropriate amount of space.

"Annyeong," he smiled at me. He seemed much brighter then back when he was ill on Saturday.

"Are you feeling better now?" I asked quietly.

"What? Oh yeah, yeah I am thanks," Jackson recollected, "About that, well about Saturday in general, um I uh."

What Jackson told Jb was right, Jackson really didn't make much sense when he was around me. I wasn't sure if this was him getting tongue tied, but nevertheless, it was cute to witness.

"Slow down Jackson," I said, putting my hand reassuringly on his arm. The bold movement must have shocked Jackson, from the wide-eyed expression on his face. He suddenly masked it with a look of confusion.

"I forgot what I was going to say," Jackson lied as he played with his shirt buttons.

"Well it was something about Saturday, but if you don't remember I guess we could ta-" I was interrupted by Jackson saying "Are you and Mark dating?"

"Me? And Mark?" I asked and started laughing. I undoubtedly knew I liked Mark more than a little after kissing him. But that is all it was- a kiss. That's probably all he wanted and a bit more. There was still a part of me that didn't know whether Mark actually liked me as a person.

 

"You didn't answer the question," Jackson exclaimed, running a hand through his dark hair.

"No, I don't know what gave you that idea."

"The dare at Mun's," Jackson stated.

"Yeah it was exactly that Jackson, a dare."

"Dares sometimes lead to something more."

"Well this one didn't. And anyway, what has this got to do with anything?" I asked.

He paused and studied my face carefully for a moment.

"I'm just asking, Maya. Mark is one of my best friends and I don't want to see him get hurt."

"Yah! Hurt? Why would you assume I would be the one to hurt him? Even if I liked him- which I don't," I said outraged. "Oh yeah, that's it...the clueless foreign girl can't be trusted. I get it."

"You're twisting my words Maya and you know it," Jackson replied.

"Do I though?" I asked seriously.

He looked at me again, his eyes were pleading for me to listen to him. Jackson's stare was so focused that I had to look away.

"I just...think...I just didn't mean- I don't know, okay? I'm sorry it just came out wrong." Jackson sighed looking angrily at the floor. His eyebrows furrowed and I could tell he was thinking of the right thing to say. He nibbled the corner of his bottom lip in concentration.

"Jackson talk to me please," I said. I was beginning to get concerned as to why he was acting like this. Jackson Wang was hands down one of the most confusing people I'd ever met.

"I don't know what I was thinking asking you to meet me. It was a bad idea, I'm sorry Maya," Jackson sighed standing up. I pulled his arm slightly so he fell back down onto the bench next to me.

"Were you ignoring me last week?" I asked quietly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Jackson lied.

I faced him and raised an eyebrow.

Jackson shrugged. After a long while he said "You make me feel weird."

"Oh?"

"You make me feel nervous. And you must know I'm generally a pretty confident person," Jackson smiled momentarily.

"It's understandable. You don't know me that well, we're more like strangers...but is that really my fault?" I questioned.

"No, I guess not," Jackson replied.

"I gave you my number, Jackson. And you never called. You ignore me in school and then you act cold at Mun's gathering. It doesn't add up." I sighed, relieved to finally get everything off my chest.

Jackson blinked at me in shock.

"You wanted me to call you?" Jackson asked.

"Well that's why I gave you my number. But I guess you were too shy to talk to me."

"Don't be like that," Jackson said.

"Like what? You know it's true; you said it yourself!"

"Stop acting so difficult, Maya. You're just like your cousin; so stubborn. I told you how I felt about you and you throw it back in my face."

He looked at me, his face wore the expression of sadness and disappointment. A sudden unexplainable feeling of guilt came over me.

 

"Jackson, you're not making any sense," I whispered.

"You really don't understand, do you?" Jackson asked rhetorically, shaking his head.

"No I don't. We need to find out more about each other in order to become friends, I guess," I suggested.

"So what should we do?" Jackson asked, he was now looking at me with interest.

"Maybe we could go to the park? Or just a walk somewhere. This school environment is just too tense."

"A walk in the park sounds fine," Jackson insisted, "I don't have any afternoon classes, do you?"

I thought for a moment.

"No."

"Okay, if you're going to be at home, I'll pick you up," Jackson suggested.

"How do you know where I live?" I asked.

"Everyone's been to Daiyu's house. I'll pick you up at 2. We could maybe get lunch as well?"

"Maybe," I replied, "that sounds nice."

"Or just some street food if you'd like," Jackson went on, "or a snack from a convenience store maybe."

"Jackson anything will be fine, don't worry," I smiled at him.

"Maybe we could become proper friends after this," he reasoned.

"I'd like that."

"Are we going to tell anyone else about tomorrow?" Jackson asked.

"I think we should keep it a secret, why does everyone else need to know what we do?" I questioned.

Jackson nodded in agreement. "Our secret."

He tilted his head to the side slightly while looking directly at me. Just like he did when we first met. As if he was trying to work out what I was thinking.

 

"I should be going, I left Bambam studying in the library on his own," I stood up from the bench we were sat on.

"I will too, it's getting a bit cold out here anyway," Jackson said.

"You should've said sooner! You'll catch a cold if you don't wrap up warm. Here, take my blazer," I suggested.

Jackson looked at me for a moment before bursting out laughing.

"You're like my mother. Your blazer won't fit me anyway."

"Oh right," I said, avoiding eye contact in mortification.

"You're cute...I mean the way you act like my mother does, if that makes sense. I don't really know, but thank you for the offer. It was really...kind of you," Jackson stuttered.

"No problem," I replied, trying my hardest not to let my face reflect the sudden happiness I felt internally.

 

We headed down the corridor and stopped outside the library.

"Well, looks like I'll see you tomorrow at 2 right?" I clarified.

"Yes, 2," Jackson agreed. "I'll text you when I'm outside of your house."

I nodded. "Bye Jackson, and don't forget this time- you have my number."

"I won't," Jackson said before smiling and biting his bottom lip shyly. There was a hint of a smirk on Jackson's mouth. Or maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me...

 

---

Hi Everyone! I'm sorry if this chapter was disappointing, I know it was short but I've been quite busy with school work so I'll make up for it with another chapter very soon...I promise. What do you think of Jackson's shy character so far? hmm. Please remember to comment, subscribe + upvote. I love recieving feedback so thank you.

Maria xo