he'll like you

the unknown

I helped myself to a bowl of jajangmyeon that Aunt had made for me. Sitting down at the table I thanked her. 

"No problem darling, eat up, you must be starving!" My aunt said. 
I obediently took a mouthful of the noodles in their delicious black bean sauce. 
"Mmm, this is really good. I thought you'd of made the Chinese jajangmyeon!"I praised her.
My aunt laughed at my reaction as I ate appreciatively. 
"No, I know you like your Korean version better. I admit, it's a bit harder to cook but your uncle seems to like it," she smiled. 
 
I heard my phone vibrate on the table, a part of me thinking that the message would be from Jackson as he had my number and I didn't have his. To my disappointment, it wasn't. It was Daiyu. It read: 
Still with Jb, I'll be home in half an hour. make an excuse for me,  I owe you xxx
I rolled my eyes exasperated. 
 
"Where did you say Daiyu was again?" Aunt asked quizzically after a moment. 
I swallowed down my food slowly to think of a quick excuse. 
"She's at a friends house doing a class project," I smiled. 
Aunt nodded in response. 
"Your uncle won't be too pleased if the project is with a boy friend," she whispered and began to laugh. "But I guess you girls are growing up now."
I smiled at her, "Yep."
"Do you have a boy type friend at the moment?" Aunt leaned over the table, raising her eyebrows slightly. I wanted to laugh at her inner excited schoolgirl coming out. 
I thought for a moment. Bambam was basically my brother so I refused to mention him. Jackson came to mind, his handsome face and charming personality. I didn't know that much about Jackson in reality, he was truly a mystery but there was no harm in claiming him as my friend. After all, he had already crossed my mind more than a few times in the last couple of hours. 
"Well there is this one boy..." I began.
I was interrupted as Daiyu walked in the front door. 
She smiled at us sweetly. My cousin still had her school uniform on, her knee high socks, pleated skirt and cute blazer still worn correctly. But her hair was no longer in a ponytail and was now tousled and wild. I wasn't sure if it was a trick of the light, but her lipstick also looked a little smudged. I eyed her slowly. 
 
"How's the project going?" I asked.
Daiyu's look of confusion quickly changed into a knowing expression.
"Oh yeah, um fine thanks. Actually I need to talk to you about that, let's go up to my bedroom."
"Wait, you need to eat," my aunt told her daughter firmly, holding a steaming bowl of jajangmyeon her way.
"Omma, I ate at Ja...Jinhee's." Daiyu corrected herself. 
"Okay, go."
 
I was sat opposite Daiyu in her bedroom. It was very spacious and had a pretty pastel theme. On her cream mantelpiece she had a line of pretty intricate things such as her baby charm bracelet, her Grandma's Chinese bells and a picture of Daiyu from when she met Bang Yongguk at the airport. I admit I was extremely jealous when I first saw that photo. 
 
"Your hair is really wild," I raised an eyebrow, "You look different."
Daiyu looked around nervously.
"What happened?"
"I guess you could say me and Jb had some fun...?" She murmured.
My mouth opened wide in shock, whatever type of "fun" Daiyu was implying could stay between her and Jb. 
"For over EIGHT hours?!"
"Are you a detective or something?" Daiyu huffed folding her arms and leaning on her oak headboard. 
 
"I thought you called me up here to talk," I reminded her a few moments later.
"Oh yeah. About you and Jackson oppa," Daiyu mimicked in a lovesick baby voice. 
 
I smirked and threw the closest pillow at her. "He didn't even call me." I whined. 
"Aya! I was only joking," She moaned, rubbing the arm I hit her on. 
"It wasn't funny."
"Aw does my baby cousin like the bad boy Jackson?" Daiyu teased. "He's hot but that boy is t-r-o-u-b-l-e."
"Ugh, shut up Dai! Listening to what you and Jb got up to today, I'd say he's t-r-o-u-b-l-e too," I mocked. 
Daiyu blushed and started folding her hands in silence. 
 
"Tell me about the other friends that I didn't get to meet."
My cousin raised a perfect eyebrow. 
"Moving on from Wang that quickly, huh?"
"I never admitted I liked him, but back to the point," I replied frustratedly. 
"Okay, well you already know Bambam, he's such a cutie," Daiyu giggled. 
"He's one of the cutest guys I've ever met!" I sighed.
Daiyu smirked.
"No, Dai, god no! Bambam is like my brother."
"Okay. Well as you know, Jb is off limits," Daiyu smiled angelically. 
"Are you guys dating?" 
"Sort of, I really like him." I aww'd at my cousins response.
"Stop, you're going to make me blush," She said putting the backs of her hands up to cool her reddening cheeks. 
"Anyway there's Yugyeom- he has a girlfriend. Youngjae is very cute and single. So is Jr, but I think he likes someone," Daiyu explained. 
Before I thought about it I said "What about Mark?" 
I put my hands to my mouth when I realised the mistake I'd made. You don't even know him Maya!
 
Daiyu looked at me strangely. 
"Um Maymay, since when did you pay attention to their names?" 
"Mark is an easy name to remember, that's all," I lied.
"I think he likes Mun," Daiyu said.
"Who's Mun?" I asked. 
"Mun unni?  I usually hang around with her. She's in our algebra class." 
I nodded with a simple "Oh."
"That reminds me, there's a sleepover at hers on Saturday as well as a small gathering," Daiyu explained, "you're coming."
Daiyu diverted the subject unintentionally, which I was thankful for. 
"Sounds good, who else?" I asked.
"All the boys I just mentioned, Yugyeom's girlfriend and probably Jinhee. But it's a girls only sleepover, so the boys are only staying for the gathering."
I nodded in response. 
 
"Now, let's sort out your hair, you need to look good for Jackson tomorrow at school," Daiyu winked.
I rolled my eyes, "Jackson doesn't like me."
"Trust me, if he doesn't like you now; he'll like you by tomorrow."
 
My cousin sounded determined and deep down, I was too. 
 
---
Hi everyone! A massive massive thank you to all those who subscribed and commented. The next chapter will surprise a lot of you, but two words: Mark Tuan.
Please remember to tell me what you think & subscribe. Once again- thank you for reading, 
Maria xo