introductions

the unknown
 
 
I had been attending the Seoul international high school for just over a month now. I was living with my aunt and uncle as well as my cousin- Daiyu.
Daiyu was Chinese and a quarter black, and moved to Seoul with her parents four years before I did. My uncle transferred as his business corporation allowed him to travel, which resulted in them residing in the bustling city. When my parents told me the news about my family moving to Korea, I jumped at the chance to go and stay with them. Now it had happened and I was actually living and going to school in Korea. It was a complete culture shock for me, I had come from London in Britain where it was extremely diverse, to South Korea where here it wasn't uncommon to get stared at, but Daiyu was used to it. I realized that soon I would be too.
 
"Come on Daiyu, we're going to be late," I whined as my cousin battled to tame her long waves into a ponytail.
"Yah! Don't talk to me like that Maya, I'll be done in two minutes gosh," She rolled her hazel eyes.
She picked up her blazer and we left the house swiftly.
"I thought I'd tell you I won't be coming back with you after school today. I'm going out with Jaebum for a little while," Daiyu explained.
"Going out on a date?" My eyes widened, her dad would not be happy.
"Not really, anyway who cares, my dad won't find out," She said as if reading my mind.
"Uh... who's Jaebum?" I raised my eyebrows and I could see my cousins cheeks heat up with a hint of pink.
"I thought I introduced you to him when you first got here! I'll have to introduce you to him, he's got some cute friends too," She whispered.
"Any I'd like?" I laughed.
"Definitely. Wait, you're friends with Bambam? They're close."
I nodded in understanding, apart from my cousin Daiyu, Bambam was my closest friend at the new school. He was in a few of my classes and on my first day he helped me find my lessons. He was adorable, like the brother I never had.
 
We made our way through the corridor. "I think you'll like Jackson. But I'm telling you now, that boy is trouble," She warned.
I nodded. My cousin was observant and was also  probably right with her judgement.
 
"No ones here! I told you we were early."
Me and Daiyu were waiting outside our History class when three boys came towards us.
One smiled warmly at Daiyu.
"Oh, Maya, these are the boys I was telling you about! This is Jaebum," She touched his arm and smiled up at him. Damn Dai, I thought, you've got it bad.
 
He had beautiful dark eyes that lit up when he smiled, he gave me a genuine one. But I knew he only had eyes for my cousin. At least he was boyfriend material, and not the 'bad boy' my uncle would hate. He was cute. "Annyeonghaseyo," He bowed his head a little.
Daiyu hit his arm playfully, "Enough with the formalities! Just call him Jb by the way."
I smiled at him, echoing the phrase.
 
"This is Jackson," Daiyu carried on, pointing to a boy beside Jb. I looked at him, everything about him was beautiful. He had an earring in one ear, similar to Jb's. Most of his dark hair was hidden underneath a hat and he wore a shirt without his tie. He raised an eyebrow and cocked his head to the side as if trying to figure me out. I felt myself blush and let my eyes drift away from him and back to Daiyu.
 
"And this is Mark, who seems to be out of it right now."
Mark seemed to be paying no interest in what Daiyu was saying. His face was tilted to his phone screen and he seemed deep in concentration, he glanced up at me momentarily before looking back down again, frowning with disinterest. Charming.

"Everyone this is my cousin Maya, you might have seen her around in classes before. She's from England, but is now living with me," Daiyu introduced me like I was a tourist attraction.
 
Three pairs of eyes looked at me.
"She looks like you, you could be sisters," Jb explained.
I smiled at him brightly.He was right, we had the same brown skin tone, similar face shapes and hair types. You could just see the Chinese in Daiyu, whereas I had none in me.
 
"Well now we have the formal introductions out of the way, me and Jb are going," Daiyu replied, grabbing him by his blazer sleeve.
"Going where, we have history class?" I asked her.
"We're skipping class," Daiyu whispered loudly, walking back out towards the entrance with Jb. Maybe my uncle wouldn't be so pleased after all!
They'd be gone for well over 8 hours, after all it was only 8 in the morning, what the hell could they do for that long?
 
"And they call me the bad one," Jackson laughed.
I giggled nervously. Had my own cousin really just left me with two handsome boys that I'd only known for five minutes?
I don't think you have history class anyway," Jackson said pointing to a notice stuck on the door.
"Class 12 - History class rescheduled to next Wednesday. Please collect work from the main hall at a later date."
 
I sighed and rolled my eyes.
 
"I'm going to go to lessons now. See you later," Mark mumbled, probably hoping I didn't understand. He looked up this time, so I could get a proper view of his face. His eyes were so bright, and he was so beautiful that I had a sudden strange desperation for him to look at me.  Giving Jackson a handshake and ignoring me completely, he walked off.

"So, Maya, where in England are you from?" Jackson asked, leaning lightly against the door frame of the empty classroom.
"London," I smiled. "You're Korean right?"
"That's cool, I'd love to visit London one day. And no," He laughed at my question.
"Oh," I blushed. At least he seemed to take it lightly.
"I'm Chinese," He smiled. My lips formed an 'O' shape.
"I didn't catch your full name?"
"Jackson Wang."
"If I heard your full name I would've known you weren't Korean," I smiled.
Jackson smirked at me for a moment before settling back to a more serious face.
 
"Daiyu, my cousin is also Chinese you know? Well mixed with Chinese, she was born in Hong Kong," I told Jackson.
"I know. She's very pretty," Jackson regarded.
I nodded in agreement, my cousin was beautiful. But I couldn't help but feel a sudden pang of jealousy in my heart.
 
We stayed silent for a few moments. I kept looking at the floor and tried to avoid Jackson's eye contact.
"So are you," He said after a while.
"Thank you," I whispered faintly. When did I suddenly lose my courage?
"I have to go and find Youngjae now, but can I have your number maybe?" Jackson asked politely. He still maintained eye contact. Dear lord this boy was confident.
 
I assumed Youngjae was his friend, I didn't care right now. Did he really just ask for my phone number?
"Sure," I replied quietly, taking his phone and adding my number onto his contact list. My fingers shook slightly as I did so.
I dropped Jackson's phone accidentally. 
"Aish! I'm so sorry Jackson, oh my god!" I cursed under my breath, quickly bending to pick Jackson's fallen phone up from the floor.
"Don't worry about it. You're cute when you're scared," He teased. Note to self: always act scared around Jackson Wang.
 
I checked his phone for scratches, there weren't any...thankfully!
I returned the phone to him.
 
"It was nice meeting you, Maya," He put his hand out for me to shake, I accepted it and shook. He held onto my gaze, his eyes scanning my face then our fingers.
It wasn't until my fingers were actually intertwined with his that I knew someone was watching us.
 
I squinted my eyes past Jackson and saw the boy from earlier, Mark, looking at us before walking back around the corner when he noticed I saw him. What was he doing? Spying on his friend? I swear he didn't like me and he had only known me for a few minutes.
 
I didn't want to let go of his hand, but I thought it would be weird if I kept holding on. With that thought, I unlocked out fingers and dropped my hand gently.
"See you around Maya," Said Jackson before walking down the corridor.
 
I stared after him in silence, it took me a few minutes to program what happened.
 
Daiyu said Jackson was trouble, I was sure he wasn't the only one.
 
---
Hi everyone! So as previously stated, this if my first fanfiction. I'd greatly appreciate any comments- tell me what you think and subscriptions.
Thank you for reading,
Maria xo