chapter ii

Our Story (우리의 이야기)

 

“Why it seems that your dirty eyes are staring at my innocent girl?” Yonghwa whistled in part of his words to the stalker of Shinhye.

“Innocent girl?!” The guy yelled. “You are in the wrong path, Mister good looking guy. That innocent is—

 

“You are the !” Yonghwa punched the guy’s face without any consideration. The guy didn’t even dare to complete his words because of his bleeding mouth. “I think you are in the wrong path here, Mister fatty.” He smirked.

“This will not end here!” The guy yelled. “Don’t you know who am I?”

Yonghwa pulled his ID, “I think you DON’T know who I am.” He knocked his face and went to Shinhye.

 

 

“Phew, what a commotion.” Shinhye said boredly. “And what’s with the ID? Are you a son of a government official? A son of drug lord or something?” She laughed.

Yonghwa stole the frappe Shinhye is drinking. “I’m thirsty.”

“Well, I don’t want to say thanks, but thanks.” She whispered. “That fat guy is so scary.” Honestly, she is afraid of that guy. Every time she walks alone, he is there stalking. And even she can’t utter the warm thanks to this guy she just met – she felt so secured that somebody stood up for her. This is the first time. But even if she wants to say the utmost thank you, she can’t. She won’t.

 

Because it is not in her personality.

 

“Just say thanks,” Yonghwa calmly said. “I will never charge anything from you.” He smirked.

Shinhye pouted. “I wonder who are you.”

“I’m nothing,” he presented his ID to her. “I am just basically a college student and that fatty is a high schooler.”

“What?” Shinhye blurted. “That’s all??”

Yonghwa smiled. “Uh uh,”

 

 

 

“Who is she?”

 

The two faced the girl in front of them. The girl looks so pretty, wearing a pink tight dress and a very light make up on her face. Shinhye then, return her glance to Yonghwa and as if their eyes are talking. She stood up and face the girl.

 

“Yong,” Shinhye hummed. “Who is she?”

“I don’t know,” Yonghwa played along.

“He doesn’t know you dear,” Shinhye smiled, more of teasing the girl. “My baby is really playful. Apologies for the confusion.” Shinhye held Yonghwa’s hand. “Let’s go?”

“Uh?” Yonghwa felt afraid of holding Shinhye’s hand. It felt awkward for him, because her hand feels so warm. “Uh.” He affirmed.

The girl left alone at the café.

 

 

“We can call it quits?” Shinhye lift their hands together.

Yonghwa stared at their holding hands in the air, as if he never wanted to escape from this sensation. He held a lot of girls’ hand but this is the first having the feeling of being in need. He’s nineteen – know nothing about life. He’s basically going with the flow of people. He is following what people follow. He is not the ideal one. He is not the prince charming. He is basically Jung Yonghwa. “You nailed it, I am really getting annoyed with that girl.”

“You know, I like you.” Shinhye said.

“What?!” Yonghwa nearly choked.

“You stupid – I mean I like you because you are being the true manifestation of man.”

“Tch, what? So I am the worst person?”

“No, I said you are true. And being true regardless of what you are doing will make you true until the end.” Shinhye smiled and tried to let go of their hands.

“You know, honestly saying – you are the first person who told me that.” Yonghwa went serious all along. “People don’t care if you are true or not nowadays. People just care of what they understand – regardless if you are true or not.”

“You are right, but I am sure I am not one of those jerks.”

Yonghwa faced Shinhye. “I am Jung Yonghwa. Nice to meet you.” He extended his hand, once again to felt the warmth of her palm.

“I’m Shinhye. Not so nice to meet you.” She laughed. “Just a head’s up, I am the princess like person. I am not the role model. I am basically the rude girl.”

 

Yonghwa burst in laughter. “Same here.”

 

“Jung Yonghwa?!” A very familiar voice was heard at their back.

 

“You?” Shinhye remembered this guy.

“Shin?” Minhyuk smiled.

 

Yonghwa felt out of place with so many questions in his mind. Shin? Why Minhyuk called Shinhye Shin? How did they know each other? “Excuse me,” he butts in.

 

“You know him, Yonghwa?” Shinhye asked.

He nodded. “He is basically the opposite of me.”

“Oh,” She smiled.

 

“You know each other? When?” Minhyuk felt so curious. “I’m with Yejin a while ago and went with her on her part time job and I saw you two here.”

“How did you know her Minhyuk? Did she make some nasty manners while in front of you?” Yonghwa hissed.

“How did you know?” Minhyuk laughed. “I met her at the ceremony of freshmen a while ago.”

Yonghwa looked at Shinhye. This girl will study at the same university as him. He feels like something is going to happen by that time. Now, he regretted why didn’t he went to the ceremony. “How’s Yejin by the way?” He diverted the issue.

“Good.” Minhyuk hummed. “Shin, did Yonghwa has done something improper?” He asked.

 

Yonghwa was a bit frustrated with what Minhyuk just said – as if he is implying that he is again the bad one.

“Actually he haven’t.” Shinhye smiled. “He’s a good boy.”

“Good boy?” Yonghwa laughs.

“Yes,” she winked.

 

“This is the first time Yonghwa was commended as a ‘good boy’.” Minhyuk said.

“Can’t I?” Yonghwa blurted.

 

Minhyuk clung on Shinhye’s arm, “thank you for understanding my friend.”

“I didn’t try to understand him, because in the first place I know who he is.” Shinhye said with proud. She met Yonghwa just a few hours ago but as if she knows this guy a long time. Maybe because their attitude match – the worse, the best.

Yonghwa knocked on Minhyuk’s head. “Let’s go Minhyuk, we are late.” He wants to escape in the sight of Shinhye in front of Minhyuk. He doesn’t want Minhyuk to be close with the girl he just met. Because he knows, the worse one gets nothing in the end.