Notified

A Winter Secret

Gone was the thick pile of snow; present now is just a thin sheet of melting ice laying on top of the ground. For the days I had spent recuperating in the seer's humble abode, my parents were left worrying about my well-being. As for me, I still couldn't get over the fact that I could've died back then. That boy, my rescuer, he never seemed to leave my mind. 

His last few words left quite a mark in me; not only that, the change in the weather here as soon as he left the hut. He seemed to be extremely accurate in both his timing and his reflexes. Peculiar, he definitely is.

I headed back home as soon as it had stopped snowing; it was still cold out here in the open. I rushed into my house, only to find my mother and my father looking half-alive. Their eyes were puffy and red, faces were extremely pale. Not to mention, they were dressed in thick coats of fur. When they saw me, my mother immediately came forward and embraced me tightly to her. I could feel her body heat. 

Her right hand reached up to my hair and started brushing off the flakes of ice that has fallen onto it. I heard sniffles and I felt something wet dripping onto my shoulder. 

I looked at my father, he remained silent; his eyes held no emotions. He just stood up at my arrival, his eyes gave me a cold hard stare. I shifted my gaze from my father to my mother. Her face was streaked with tear marks, her lips quivered lightly. 

"Haeri, I just can't give you away like this..." She said softly.

"Then don't give me away mother." I answered her almost instantaneously in an attempt to make her smile. But it did the opposite instead, she cried louder. Her hugs became more tighter and it was beginning to feel uncomfortable. My father then stepped in; he grabbed her hands, both of them. 

And for the first time in my life, I caught something glimmering in his eyes. Tears. 

He was crying and I have no idea why. He led my mother back to their room and beckoned me to follow them; his gaze was still cold. I complied to his wishes as always. He made my mother lie down on their bed, covered her with a thin blanket and sat down right beside her. I made myself comfortable on the bed as well, just the far end of it. I stared at the two of them, waiting for any one of them to explain to me what is going on.

Their eyes were locked together, silently communicating. My mother was the one who broke it, she burst into tears once again. My father then sighed at this sight. He straightened up and began speaking.

"Haeri, you are the chosen one."

"What chosen one? What is going on? Why am I chosen?" I asked, puzzled.

"Long ago, there is this spirit that resides in a cave of a mountain. We call it 'the Pyry'. It breathes ice and is able to control the temperature of the surroundings with its roar. However, it sleeps for more than a millenia and when it wakes up, it thirsts for the blood of a human. And this creature chooses the human it wants to consume. And from centuries ago, our elders told us to send our sacrifice into the woods of the mountains for it to consume by itself."

"So...?" No, please don't tell me that it's me, I don't want to be eaten by some monster. No, don't say it. Don't tell me it's me it had chosen. I don't want to leave my family.

"Haeri, you are the one chosen by the Pyry." He announced grimly.

Bingo, what am I going to do now. Haeil, help me. 

My mind was blank like a plain paper. I stood up and left the room, my mother was still sobbing, my father was in his own world. At that point of time, I wish someone could shake me up and tell me it was just a dream.

But unfortunately, reality is harsh like the cold wind that was in my supposedly warm enclosed room.

---

Author's note:

Hey hey! It's me again, friends! I'm back with another chapter. I am having a lot of fun writing this story since I get to imagine the scenes out. Well, The next chapter should be up soon, maybe tomorrow or on Sunday. Hahaha.. I am going overseas soon, quite excited for it. Hopefully I can get more inspired to write this since I am going to a cold place. :) Yay!

Anyways, thanks to the people who read this story, subscribed or commented here. :) I love you guys and yea, I hope you like this chapter. :)

So I will see you again soon! Bye!

-Blue