4: TaoBaek: Blue Moon

The House at the Edge of the World

 

 

    Hello again, dear visitor. You still wish to hear my stories? Well you are in luck then, this House holds nothing but stories. Stories upon stories and yet none of them are mine. Oh yes, there are Baekhyuns here. So many. Some have stories that end in pain, others death, some sweet laughter and kisses. But for all those Baekhyuns, not one of them speak of coming to a House that stands on the edge of the World. Sometimes I wonder if I was always here. If there was no beginning for me. Only the House. Only the Edge. Only these stories. 

     But I am talking too much about me am I not? I am the Story Teller, I tell the tales. I am not in them. Here, dear visitor, is a tale of a wolf named Baekhyun. 

 

 

 

     Baekhyun did not want to come tonight. He really, really, really did not want to come tonight. Parties were not his thing. They were Chanyeol's. Parties bringing wolves from every corner of the land to his pack's den? Definitely not his thing. Baekhyun scowled, weaving his way through the crowd. He supposed that now while he was there, the best option was to drink himself into oblivion. Considering how small the omega wolf was, it wasn't that hard. 

     Four shots of a liqour strong enough to peel paint and Baekhyun was drunk. They say when you're drunk you do all the things you wanted to do when you were sober. Baekhyun didn't know if that was true, but at least the drinks made him more daring. 

    Everything was so much more fun that way. 

    Flining caution to the wind, Baekhyun decided to avoid Chanyeol. (He didn't think that one through very hard.) His mind was way too dizzy to really come up with any other reason than that the semi sensible beta would try to get him to return to his dorm room. Tonight was special. Tonight was a Blue Moon. It was a tradition that spawned thousands of years, dating back to the very first wolf transformation. All hostilites ceased and the wolf packs gathered to celebrate. 

     It's a night of magic. A night of finding soul mates, if you believed the tales. The Blue Moon was a once in a lifetime chance to change everything. To find love that crossed pack wars, social status, anything. 

      Baekhyun laughed. He didn't really believe in soulmates. His soul had been crushed one too many times for that. He slipped onto the dance floor, glancing up at the huge stone ceiling of his pack's massive den. The wolves around him danced along to the music. Baekhyun smiled. A devilish impluse took over and he danced. 

      

 

 

 

 

 

     Time passed. Baekhyun couldn't tell how long. Everything was a mess of sweaty bodies and drunken dances. Baekhyun liked the Blue Moon. Here even an Omega could flirt with anyone they wanted and not have those higher in rank beat the hell out of them. He revealed in the power he suddenly possessed. Baekhyun laughed at something a wolf said - he didn't really hear it- before trying to slip out of the crowd. 

     Sooo drunk....Can't think straight. 

      The music was getting too loud for Baekhyun. The crowd too wild and frantic. Many wolves were looking for their 'soulmates' tonight and he wanted none of that. 

     Baekhyun's heart wrenched in his chest. A painful reminder that even on a Blue Moon he couldn't have the one he wanted. 

     A hand grabbed his. Baekhyun tried to jerk away, but was dragged back to the wolf. He looked up, eyes widening. 

     It was Tao. 

     Why now?

     The Alpha pulled him close to his chest, sliding his arms around the smaller wolf. Tao began dance. His hold on Baekhyun was almost harsh. There was no way he could ever wriggle his way to freedom. Letting out sigh, Baekhyun gave up the idea. Around them, wolves began to notice. (Wolves always noticed Tao. Why not? He was everything.) They watched the two of us curiously. Baekhyun's pack members looked shocked. Some looked angry. 

        I'm going to regret this. 

       Tao ignored them. Or rather, he didn't deign to notice them at all. A shiver ran up Baekhyun's spin as the Alpha's hand slid lower on his back. Tao laughed, shouting something in Baekhyun's ear. 

      Whatever it was he missed it. 

       

 

 

 

     Tao wasn't the leader of Baekhyun's pack. He was a rogue Alpha if you would. He came and he went without anyone stopping him. The idea of Kris their leader was that they would rather have Tao on their side than fighting against. 

      Tao was fighter. No one challenged him. Those who did faced his violent wrath. He was handsome, strong, witty. Everyone, even those in rival clans, admired his strength and cunning. Tao was everything someone could ever want...and he didn't have a mate yet. 

      Once Baekhyun thought he could be that mate. Didn't everyone think so? But Baekhyun was the lowest of the Omegas. It taught him to see things as they really are, no matter how cruel the truth. Tao wasn't one to stick around an Omega for long. He was never seen with one more than once. Betas? Maybe twice. Only the pretty little wolf they called Luhan had been a consistent. Baekhyun saw it, thought about it. Then without a word he took the dreams he had and buried them deep inside his mind. 

     No matter what Tao said, no matter how many times he sought Baekhyun out, held him, whispered sweet little nothings into his ear, it didn't mean a thing.

     Tao wasn't the kind to fall for an Omega. 

 

 

 

 

     Everything was a blur. A twisted mess Baekhyun couldn't see through. Why the hell did I drink so much? He thought. I'm too tiny for so much alcohol. His head pounded, stomach twisting. 

     Baekhyun shook his head, trying to keep it all together. What the was he doing? The night had dragged on, making the crowd turn wilder. Baekhyun dug his fingers into Tao's shirt, hanging on to him for dear life. Tao laughed, shouting at him again. Baekhyun smiled, not really listening. Tao smiled back, revealing long, deadly teeth.

      A female wolf dared draw near them. Baekhyun didn't remember her name but he knew her by sight. She was a cruel Beta, known for taunting Omegas. He stayed far, far away from her. The blonde danced close to them, twisting and turning her body in a way that reminded Baekhyun of the human strippers. 

     When Tao didn't look at her she tried something else. Huffing, she slid an arm between Tao and Baekhyun, obviously trying to shove them apart. Tao didn't take it very well. He snarled, eyes glowing blood red. The wolf practially ran away. As for Baekhyun, Tao gripped his hips harshly, pressing them up against each other. 

     He looked pissed. 

     No one else tried anything. No one dared too. But the music kept playing louder and louder. Eventaully Tao relaxed his hold on him. Eventually he closed his eyes. Eventaully he loosened his hold and began to dance further away. 

 

 

      Oh this is it. 

     Baekhyun let go of Tao and moved back a step. The Alpha didn't seem to notice. Now Baekhyun might be drunk, but he wasn't drunk enough not to notice his pack members closing in around him. He supposed they knew Tao was already done with him. Now he was screwed. 

      Baekhyun took a deep breath to clear his head and fled through the mess of wolves. 

 

 

 

 

       Baekhyun didn't make it very far. The den just kept turning on him. He couldn't walk straight and the wolves were pressed in so tightly they threatened to knock him over with a violent jostle. Baekhyun tripped over his own feet, pitching towards the ground. 

      A clawed hand grabbed his wrist, jerking him up. Baekhyun gasped at the pain. A snarl sounded in his ear and his heart dropped. He glanced up. 

      It was Tao. 

      A FURIOUS Tao. 

     He snarled again, seizing Baekhyun's wrist with an iron strength. He dragged him through the crowd, scaring the wolves out of their way. Soon they were in out of the hall and in an empty hallway. The music faded along with the smoke, leaving Baekhyun with a dull aching in his head. 

     Tao flung open a door and tossed Baekhyun through. He realized it was bedroom and the thought of it made his head spin even more. Sighing he slumped against the wall. He didn't really want to think about this. Tao shut and locked the door before turning to Baekhyun. 

      "What were you DOING?" he demanded, towering over Baekhyun. "You're drunk, in a hall full of drunk wolves. What if somebody had-"

     He fell silent. Tao pulled himself away from Baekhyun, running his hands through his black hair. His hands curled and uncurled, as if they were strangling somebody. Baekhyun shook. He couldn't figure out why Tao was so mad at him. Why should he even care?

      Suddenly the aching confusion left. Baekhyun was angry now. Tao NEVER cared. Not about a stupid Omega like him. Why should he, of the nights he had, choose to interfer? For all Baekhyun knew, he could've found a mate. Some wolf from another pack that wouldn't mind he was small. He could have gotten out. 

     I can't forgot you if you keep doing this to me!

    "Don't you dare," he spat out. "Don't you dare to this me." A hot tear streaked down his cheek. Tao stopped, reaching out for him. Baekhyun tried to shove his hands away. He ignored the attempt and held Baekhyun anyway. 

     "Baekhyun," he said. "What is it?"

     Baekhyun shook his head. His eyes were squeezed shut but the tears kept falling. "Don't you dare be angry at me," he said. "Not you. I could take it from anybody but you...I-I don't like feeling like this. I don't like feeling like I'm nothing. This, tonight was supposed to be my way out of this place." Baekhyun laughed hollowly. "You know, get drunk, get laid. Find a mate and get out of this hell hole." he glanced up at Tao who looked shocked. "Forget you."

     "No, no," he said. "No Baekhyun....I never-Baekhyun I'm not angry at you. I'm angry that I let it get to this point. I realized how easily some wolf could carry you off and it  made me furious."

      He leaned down, pressing his lips against Baekhyun's cheek. He trailed them down to his neck, covering every inch of skin he could find. Baekhyun clenched his arms around Tao's shoulders, trying desperatly to stop himself from falling down as the Alpha kissed him ferociously. 

      "Tao," he gasped. "Tao stop it!"

      The Alpha shook his head. "No," he said. "Not until you get it Baekhyun, I love you."

     His heart stopped. He couldn't feel Tao anymore. He couldn't even feel his own body. Baekhyun just stood there, frozen as Tao clung to him. For moment he had hope. 

     Then he remembered hope was dangerous. 

     "Don't lie," he said, practically sobbing now. "Please, please Tao don't lie. I know....I know the few times you pulled me over for kisses didn't mean anything. Not when you had Luhan...I knew I knew you were using me." he shook his head, tears falling fast. "But this is too cruel. Tao don't make fun of me like this."

     I'm so, so, tired of being shoved away. 

     "Go find Luhan," Baekhyun whispered. "Please just go find your mate and leave me alone."

      Tao picked up Baekhyun, pressing him into the wall. He carrassed Baekhyun's cheek with one hand, using the other to support him. "Baekhyun," he said. "I love you....it isn't a joke. I've loved you for long, long time." He rubbed his cheek against Baekhyun's, breathing in deeply. "I wanted your attention," he said bitterly. "I wanted you to get jealous. But no one was ever beautiful enough to get you to look twice. Nobody was beautiful enough to make me get over you...not even Luhan. Every time, every single ing time I went to him I found myself trailing after you. Thinking of snatching you up into my bed and watching your eyes fly open when I take you. But all I had enough courage to do was steal a few kisses. Wasn't enough. All you ever did was run away to Chanyeol."

     Tao pulled back, eyes glowig red. "You little devil. I can't stop wanting you. But every time I blink you're gone....tell me is it him? Is it Chanyeol that beats me?"

    Baekhyun shook his head. He felt an aching emptiness in his chest. It was painful, like his heart was being ripped into shreds. He tried to breath, tried to find his voice. This can't be real. This is a joke, a horrible, horrible joke. 

      "Tao," he whimpered. 

      Tao growled, shoving Baekhyun further up the wall. He gripped Baekhyun's legs, pushing them around his waist. "I want you to be mine," he said. "You and ONLY you. I won't take anyone else, I'll kill whoever tries it. And if I can't have you," he laughed bitterly. "Than you better find a mate who lives far, far away. If he's too close I'll kill. I swear I'll ing kill him."

     Baekhyun laughed. It sounded hysterical, half laughing half crying. He threw his arms around Tao's neck, bringing his face down closer to him. "Do you mean it?" he asked. Tao nodded without hesitation. 

      "So much," he said, rocking his hips forward slightly. "So much....Baekhyun."

      "Let me sleep on it," Baekhyun managed to say through his tears. "And in the morning, once my hangover's gone and Chanyeol- who is hopelessly in love with Lay by the way - knows I wasn't carried off and ravaged, I'll think about it."

      Tao laughed, carrying Baekhyun effortlessly to the bed. He wrapped his arms around the small wolf, bringing a leg to rest possessivly over Baekhyun's hip. "I'll take it," he said. "I've waited this long. But you promise that you will be my mate?"

      Baekhyun nodded, alreay half asleep. 

      "I'll think about it."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

     This story came from the stars, swirling down as a constellation. A pretty thing made of star dust. I loved it, there was something so wild and unhinged about it. Marking it different from the rest. I can't help but wonder if this was the Baekhyun I was before. A wild wolf running beside Tao. Free to run! Intriguing no? I don't know. Chanyeol would know. He came before me, mabye even before the House. Before the Edge. He speaks of things lost so long ago not even the Mages of the Mirrored Worlds remember them. 

     Oh! Hear the knocking on the door? It is Chanyeol, he is here. Perhaps he will have a tale to tell you! So wait a moment, dear visitor, I will go and let him into the House at the Edge of the World.