The Downfall

Queen vs King - How (not) to take revenge on your ex

A warm morning greeted the new day. The weather was nice, the Sun was shining but the students were as enthusiastic about the school as always. That day wasn’t different from the others. Everybody did his/her own stuff, everybody knew where he/she belonged to. They knew that the hierarchy of the school wouldn’t change on this day or at least it wouldn’t change so much that the lower ranked students could suddenly find themselves on the top. But there was something in that day which carried a large change. Something was preparing on the top of the hierarchy. Something that had an effect on the whole school, something because of the students have been calling that day as “The Downfall” since then.

 

 

Seoul’s most elite boarding school had its own society and the different social strata had their own habitats. They never deviated from it. Never, because it would have caused the disturbance of the balance.

Half an hour before the lessons’ start the lower ranked students were loitering in the building and it had only one reason: they could avoid the high-rank ones’ contemptuous glances. They weren’t willing to get out of their dorm rooms so early. They wanted to utilize every moment which they could spend in their beds and that was the only time for the other students to get into their classrooms without any terror.

And how is it possible to get into that high social strata? It’s easy. Be born into an elite family. Have some prestige already when you get into the school. Or else you won’t have any chance.

But there are naïve people of course who think that if they follow the elite’s every steps and do everything that they ask, they will belong to the nobles. They just make fun of themselves. This is just an illusion that they build up in their minds but the painful reality is that they are the topic in the coolest parties if the group wants to have fun. But they can’t know about it. Because nobody invites them.

But there are people among the high-rank ones who can control this arrogant, unbridled, hypocrite group. There are few of them but the more power they have. And the most interesting thing is that Seoul’s most acknowledged school’s king is none other than a Chinese student.

 

 

People started to throng the old looking but in reality very modern building. Noise filled up the corridors, some student had already escaped into the classrooms while the others were talking in the hall about the next weekend’s expected events. The news of an interesting gossip here, the place of a new party there… If someone listened carefully, that person could win precious information from the student’s life and maybe the gossip about that big change had already existed. Maybe there was someone who had already known what would happen.

But suddenly everything became silent as if someone had cut all of the conversations at the same time. Every eyes settled on the school door where the two well-acknowledged figures stepped in. They looked around slowly but their glances never met with the other students’. Nobody dared to look at them, most of them just lowered their heads and stepped away to give place to the royal couple. They didn’t want any trouble.  

Luhan and Hye-rim were going to their lockers hand in hand, their posture, their glances and even their faces showed that they were aware of their power and they required the respect. In return for it they respected their subjects too. They weren’t that kind of couple who just took advantage of the people around them, what’s more, they despised this behaviour. Their schoolmates could rely on them, they could turned to them with every kind of question or request and the couple never abused with this trust. But everybody was aware of the queen and the king’s own strong, sometimes hardly bearable personality. But this made them even greater. Hye-rim’s basic principle was that a person with weak personality would never be able to become a leader and it was true not just in school but outside of it as well. Luhan never said it out loud but with his actions he showed that he was thinking this way too. If someone unduly tried to steal his position, he cruelly trampled that person while Hye-rim also used not too soft methods against those who decried her power. Yeah, the sovereign, if he or she appears, has to bring out from the people not just respect but fear too. Without fear the “kingdom” wouldn’t stand so stable.

But the couple didn’t looked good together just because of their personalities. While all of the boys turned after Hye-rim, the girls didn’t spare Luhan. Their vibrant, elegant appearance made the picture complete. Luhan’s handsomeness and Hye-rim’s beauty were the perfect description of the dream couple.

Lots of eyes followed their joining up and just when they reached their lockers was the time the crowd started to live their own life.

“Dude, I will never be able to get bored with this!” Xiumin stopped beside them with three other boys. Minseok, Sehun, Baekhyun and Tao belonged to that little group which had a total influence over the whole school apart from Luhan and Hye-rim and they were the only ones, who could enjoy the king’s unconditional trust. And why them? Nobody knew apart from them, and a few jealous people always asked themselves about it, but the answer was so simple. These five boys found each other in the beginnings and they have been friends for several years. They had got to the top together and they thought that they would leave it together too.

“It’s a pity that this ado isn’t for you.” Tao snorted while Luhan was packing in his locker.

“Yes, it is. We are the sidecars of the king. While they look at him as if he was a god, we are demigods in their eyes.” Baekhyun grinned. “Just we will never get a goddess like her.” He pointed with his head towards Hye-rim and the girl silently chuckled and closing her locker she turned to the boys.

“Come on boys, lots of other goddess are walking on the Earth. It’s true that none of them is me…” She leaned to Baek’s ear half whispering. “But I know that there are some demi goddess who almost could die just to have a night with you.” Suddenly she straightened and sent a sly wink towards the boys.

“Really? And who they are?” Tao joined in the conversation but Hye-rim just shrugged.

“Maybe I will introduce you to some of them in the party this weekend. If our kind king deign to accompany me.” She sent a meaningful glance towards Luhan, but her boyfriend just rolled his eyes.

“I told you that I didn’t want to go. If you want, go alone.” He said and closed unintentionally the locker with a little bit stronger power. The boys looked at each other. It seemed that this round had been played a few times.

“Oh, now thinking of it, we… we have something to do before the classes.” Xiumin looked around, then started to guide the others towards the classrooms. He felt that they weren’t necessary in this conversation.

Meanwhile Sehun, before he followed his friends, looked at Hye-rim questioningly. He was leaning against the lockers with crossed arms listening to the events so far but now as his glance intertwined with the girl’s, it came to light that he knew everything. Even those things which weren’t said today.

Hye-rim nodded signalling that she can solve it alone and when Sehun left them, she turned towards Luhan.

“Lu~, you know that I can’t go alone.” She pouted. First she tried the cute little girl method.

“Oh, and why not?” Luhan asked back angrily and Hye-rim didn’t like this tone.

“Because I get lost if I’m alone.” The girl needed a big self-control to keep the calm tone, but she felt inside that something was wrong and it made her angry. She hated when Luhan didn’t tell her what his problem was.

“Come on, you are unable to do that.” Luhan laughed critically and that was the moment when Hye-rim took off her cute mask. She was fed up with his boyfriend’s behaviour because the boy had been doing this for days. He was like a hysterical prom queen.

“Okay. Now you can already tell what the hell your problem is!” She leaned one of her arms against the lockers and looked deep into Luhan’s eyes. The boy kept the eye contact but didn’t answer, so Hye-rim just sighed in the end and she asked again with a softer tone. “Seriously. You have been such a jerk since last week. Did something happen?”

“No. I’m just tired and I just don’t want to go to that party.” Luhan tried to answer firmly but the girl knew him so well to know that he didn’t tell her the whole truth. So she sighed again.

“Okay, I understood. But I don’t like it when you are like this.” She pouted again then stepped in front of the boy, so Luhan hadn’t got any chances to escape. Hye-rim raised her deep brown eyes up to him and the king’s fingers grabbed the girl’s waist reflexively. He swallowed. She wasn’t his girlfriend accidentally, and her power over the school wasn’t an accident too. Hye-rim was able to twist people around her little finger in the twinkling of an eye also including Luhan. But the boy didn’t mind it and he wasn’t able to get enough of the thought that this beautiful, irresistible girl was just his. Only his.

“I’m sorry.” Luhan whined but the tone wasn’t so convincing. It was as if he hadn’t mean it to the current situation. “But the lesson is about to start so we should go.” And as if it wanted to confirm his words, the bell started to ring signalling that the education had started. But Hye-rim just rolled her eyes.

“They won’t mind if we are late.” A sly smile was hiding in the corner of and her fingers were playing on the boy’s chest. The corridor was already empty because all of the students cared about when the classes start so there was nothing which could disturb the girl’s plans to make his boyfriend relax.

“Hye-r…” Luhan started to protest but suddenly soft lips landed on his and his mind gave up the fight at that moment. He closed his eyes and he wasn’t able to concentrate on any other things just on the fragile but so tempting body which pressed him against the lockers. He pulled the girl as closer as possible and a quiet moan escaped from his mouth when her fingers ran through his hair. His hands were about to start their expedition under Hye-rim’s blouse when an angry cough interrupted them.

“I really appreciate that our school’s two most influential students have such a good relationship but I would be happier if you didn’t let your unnecessary energy off on each other but on learning in my classes.” The couple looked surprised at the mathematics teacher beside them but they didn’t move. “It wasn’t a request. It was a warning! And Mr. Lu, it would be great if you got out of the habit making out in public because I don’t think your schoolmates are curious about your love life. Or how to call it.” The teacher waved them to go into the classroom immediately and Luhan just send a threatening glance towards the man. It seemed that not everybody was aware of his authority and what kind of measures he could take. And a little maths teacher don’t talk to him like that!

Hye-rim didn’t completely understand the happenings but she decided that she wouldn’t ask Luhan about it now. She saw on him that this command thing had made him angry and the real case was that she wasn’t too happy about it either. But she rather stayed silent. She knew that if it was necessary, her boyfriend would arrange this case so she just walked towards the classroom. But the happenings and the teacher’s sentences didn’t want to be deleted from her mind.

 

 

The other parts of the day passed calmly and everybody talked about the party this weekend. And Hye-rim just stayed silent when they asked her if she would go, she stayed silent when her friends talked about what clothes they would wear and she just stayed silent when everybody was talking about that those people who wouldn’t go to the party must be just lower ranked students. At the end of the day she was fed up with this whole party thing so although she had promised Luhan not to disturb him with it, she secretly hoped that the boy would change his mind. But she didn’t want to come up with this topic. She was waiting for Luhan to offer it during the way home.

“We could go somewhere to eat. I’m starving.” Baekhyun whined but Xiumin rolled his eyes.

“You must be kidding. You ate one hour ago!”

“But I’m still hungry.”

“I know a good place nearby, it opened last week and they can cook really well.” Tao’s eyes sparkled but Luhan just wave them down.

“You can go. We have some stuff to do with Hye-rim.” The girl looked up curiously because she didn’t know about it. Then it flashed in her mind. What if he wants to say that they go to the party?

“Uhm, okay. But is it sure?” Baekhyun asked back and while Hye-rim was busy with Sehun and why he was so silent and was just standing there frowning, Luhan made an almost invisible move with his head which wanted to symbolise that the boys should go away. They immediately understood.

“Okay, we meet tomorrow. Bye.” Minseok waved and when the four guys disappeared around the corner, Luhan turned towards the girl.

“What? Did you change your mind about the weekend?” Hye-rim asked smiling but when the boy didn’t answer, she frowned. “What’s it all about?” She asked solemnly and for some reason she suspected something bad.

Luhan looked deeply in her eyes. There weren’t any expressions on his face, it was unreadable, and he was just staring at the girl with an empty gaze. Then he just sighed.

“Let’s break up.”

Hye-rim thought she had heard it wrong and that’s why she asked back. She thought that she had misunderstood.

“Pardon?”

“I said I wanted to break up.” And that was the moment when the world moved around the girl. She felt her heartbeat speeding up and she started to feel a little dizzy. Her face went pale and she looked puzzled at Luhan.

“But... why?” That was the only thing she could ask but she almost wasn’t able to hear the answer. She could only hear her own heartbeat in her ears.

“Just… let’s break up.” Luhan’s shrug and short answer didn’t surprise the girl. The boy was never that kind of person who liked prevaricating or talking in long sentences about his problems. Reticence and straightness featured him.

Hye-rim tried to collect her thoughts, tried to find out what the problem could be when suddenly she realised. She replayed in her mind the last days’ happenings, the sentences of this morning and she replayed the teacher’s words. “And Mr. Lu, it would be great if you got out of the habit making out in public because I don’t think your schoolmates are curious about your love life. Or how to call it.”

And Hye-rim found out. She found out what was going on and anger replaced the incomprehension.

“There’s someone else, right?” She asked through gritted teeth and her hands clenched into fists. Luhan’s face was still inexpressive. She took a deep breath. “You were able to cheat on me?! Really? Am I not this enough for you, or what? And who she is? Who can be better than me? Who is that girl who can give you more, than me?” She didn’t raised her voice up. She didn’t shout. She stayed cool and it was more frightening. But this calling to account made Luhan angry too.

“Stop it already! It isn’t about you, okay? You didn’t do anything, it just simply happened this way. And no, there’s nobody else. Once there was. But it was one occasion…” The boy’s words penetrated into Hye-rim’s heart like sharp knives and she just shook her head. She didn’t wait for Luhan to finish.

 „I am the Queen of the school. I was your Queen!" She cut it into his boyfriend’s face. She couldn’t believe it. She loved Luhan and she thought that it was true conversely too. They were the perfect couple. They belonged to each other and now it seemed that she loved him in vain, it wasn’t true from the boy’s side.

"You are not a queen. You have never been a queen. You are just a little princess, whose heart is as cold as ice. Or colder. A selfish, arrogant princess, not an admirable queen." At that moment the sound of a slap on the boy’s face echoed in the distance and her eyes blazed hatred.

"You will regret it. In the end when I, the Queen beat the great King, you will find out that it was the largest mistake you have made in your life.” She hissed, then she turned around and left Luhan behind. She turned left at the corner angrily but just till the next street she was able to keep the invulnerable, proud mask. She couldn’t bear it. Thousands of tears rolled down her cheeks and she didn’t care about that she was on the street. She collapsed on the floor sobbing, trying to catch her breath and at that moment nothing could interest her. She was crying and shaking for minutes, until strong arms circled around her body and gave her a warm, protecting embrace. She didn’t look up, she just buried her face into the person’s chest and she cursed the whole world. It hurt. It terribly hurt.

But she couldn’t know that it wasn’t easier for the other too…

 


a.n. : Soo this is the first chapter. English is not my mother language so I'm sorry if I made a lot of mistake. I tried not to make a lot. >.<"
And I know that the main characters are a little bit too arrogant but this is the part of my plan. I didn't want to create too soft characters but I will try my best to make them lovely despite being such idiots. :'D I hope I can do it. :D 

Thank you for reading it! <3