Overture

And I Can Fix Your Broken Parts

Just a few more seconds. Removing one of his headphones, Jongdae braced himself for the upcoming high note. He closed his eyes, let the music surround him. And then... he failed.

He pushed himself away from the microphone, yanking his headphones off harshly and signaling for the man outside the cabin to stop recording. . He knew he'd fail. His throat had been pulling off things like that lately, and Jongdae was sick and tired of even thinking about it.

On the other side of the glass, he saw his manager enter the room, waving at him to come out. Jongdae sighed, dragging his feet towards where Kyungsoo was waiting for him.

"It's not my fault!" he defended even before the other man could utter a word.

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows at him.

"What are you talking about?"

"You didn't hear," he said, finally meeting his eyes.

"I was talking to Joonmyeon," Kyungsoo replied, looking at him pointedly.

Good. At least he didn't have to deal with his manager for now. He wasn't exactly in the mood to be nagged about things he couldn't control.

"Whatever. What's up?"

"There's a new project for you. Joonmyeon wants to talk to you about it."

"What? Now?"

"Yeah. Come on," and just like that Kyungsoo grabbed his arm, dragging him out of the room.

.oOo.

"A duet."

"Yes."

"With some guy from another company."

"We're planning a merge, and this kind of deal is just what we need to get the news out to the public," Joonmyeon explained calmly. Jongdae let out a frustrated sigh.

"This is not a good idea," he stated plainly.

"It'd be something new. A ballad, more fitting for your voice, don't you think?"

And there was that condescending tone again. Jongdae clenched his jaw, "I don't do ballads," he sniffed, "I like rock."

"I know," a small, controlled smile, "It'd be just an album, I promise. And besides, you know your fans love your ballads!" Jongdae let out an unamused chuckle. Of course he'd say that. Joonmyeon's expression shifted, a more serious tone to it. "You don't have many options, you know."

"Can't someone else do this?"

"We'd rather have you."

Jongdae groaned, throwing his hands up in mocked resignation. "So now you'd rather have me? Great."

Joonmyeon leveled him with a look, straightening in his chair behind the desk.

"We're not discussing personal affairs right now, Jongdae."

"Cut the crap, Joonmyeon."

"Okay, that's it," Kyungsoo interfered, holding Jongdae's arm and attempting to stop him from glaring daggers at his boss. "We're going to the other company now. Let’s go."

"What?! Now?" Jongdae jumped, a tiny bit of panic lacing his voice, "I can't sing now, Kyungsoo," he mumbled.

"You won't have to," Joonmyeon reassured him, "You're just going to meet your partner. That's it." He looked back at him, a look very much like pity in his eyes, "Hasn't your throat gotten any better?"

"I'll wait for you at the car, Kyungsoo," Jongdae stated as he stood up, making his way to the door before leaving without another word.

.oOo.

"That wasn't very nice of you," Kyungsoo commented as he settled on the driver's seat.

Jongdae huffed, continuing to stare out of the window. He was sick of this, of having to behave properly, of having to pretend in front of everyone, even Kyungsoo. He was always on the run. Another concert, another album, another doctor's appointment. Another speech about taking care of himself, focusing on his work, "doing it for the fans".

His mind followed a couple walking on the sidewalk absently. Sometimes he didn't remember why he'd decided to get into the music business. He loved the thrill of performing, the sensation of drowning in his music and his name being claimed. But then he was alone again, in another nameless hotel, packing to run somewhere else.

After not getting a response for several moments, Kyungsoo sighed in resignation.

"I don't get what's wrong with you lately."

"Nothing's wrong with me."

"Is this because of the Joonmyeon thing?" Kyungsoo asked casually, shaking his head when he got only silence as an affirmative, "It's not that I want to rub it at your face, but I told you so. You shouldn't have mixed your feelings with your career, nothing good comes from it."

"It's not like I meant to."

"I know. But you should be focusing on getting your throat better. As your manager, it's my duty to remind you that your last album hasn't sold nearly as many copies as we were hoping for, and we can't afford delaying your next comeback. Your fans have been waiting for long, Jongdae, and you know..."

"I already ing know!" Jongdae finally snapped, feeling suddenly trapped in his own life, nothing to do about it. Ignoring Kyungsoo's piercing stare, he put on his headphones, searching for his most played playlist, "Anger", and willing himself to get lost in music. Again.

.oOo.

He'd gotten pretty good in tuning out conversations he didn't care about. The endless chatter between Kyungsoo and the director of this company was now nothing more than an annoying buzz on the back of his mind, background music for his thoughts. He glanced over this director, a guy with chubby cheeks and pretty eyes that looked way too young to be the head of one of the top entertainment companies in the country. Just like Joonmyeon. Not like he cared. He just needed a way out, somewhere to be alone with his music.

With a polite comment, he excused himself to go find a restroom, being promptly ignored by the two men. He left as quietly as possible, intending to lock himself up in the first restroom he came across and staying there until he had at least fifteen missed calls from Kyungsoo.

He wandered around long corridors and identical conference rooms. Climbed up and down several sets of stairs. Wandered again. And then finally admitted to himself that he was ing lost in this huge building. But it wasn't his fault, really. The idiot who hadn't thought about signaling where the freaking restrooms were was the one to blame.

The idea of asking someone for help was immediately discarded in favor of just sitting where he was and waiting for Kyungsoo to come find him. Much more reasonable than making a fool of himself.

He was adjusting his headphones, thumb hovering over the music player, when he heard it. A melody. Each note piercing through his soul, picking at his very core. Breaking him apart and putting him together once again, piece by piece, note by note. He was drowning, the feeling behind every note weighting him down. He knew every note to the melody, every up and down, every change in the rhythm. And yet, he was positive he'd never heard it before. But the style felt so familiar. Like coming home. It just wasn't the right song. Jongdae blinked, dazedly realizing he'd been lost in thought for several minutes, mind reeling, trying to match the harmony. Shaking his head, he focused once again in his phone. He hadn't pressed play; at least he didn't remember doing so. And, indeed, the music wasn't coming from the device.

Taking off his headphones, he stood up, the now louder music pulling him towards a room by the end of the corridor. His body moved in autopilot, the melody doing the thinking for him, until he was in front of the door, hand in the doorknob. And then he stopped. He didn't want the melody to end. He opened the door just an inch, praying not to make any noises that could reveal his presence to the angel that was the source of the music.

And there he was. Slender, beautifully long fingers caressed the piano tiles, flowing with a simplicity so foreign to such a rich melody. From up close, its every single shade was perceivable, almost palpable. Breathtaking. It wasn't perfect. Its tiny failures were what made it beautiful, what revealed its humanity. The life behind it, the stories struggling to be told.

Jongdae was enraptured. He tore his eyes away from those fascinating hands, following the slightly muscular outline of the musician's arms, his back, his whole body moving in sync to the melody, pulling Jongdae to get closer, to touch, to feel. Almost hesitantly, his eyes scanned even higher, savoring the sharp features of the face he knew so well. The sight only confirmed what he already thought, what he didn't dare to hope.

It was him. Yixing.

How could he have been so stupid? Hadn't he been so stuck in his anger he would've noticed the company's name, would have recognized it as his Yixing's. The pianist. Jongdae's favorite musician ever and his reason to even attempt to pursue a career in music. And he was there. He could push the door open, reach an arm out and... He put a hand over his mouth, a feeble try to settle his breath. It seemed plain out ironic to be within hearing range of his idol, the most influential person in his whole career-if not life-, and not being able to hear him because his heart was beating deafeningly loud.

Silence. The music had stopped. A look of contentment graced Yixing's expression. A shy smile. A dimple. And suddenly Jongdae's whole world, whole existence seemed to have narrowed to just another human being. Just the two of them.

Seconds seemed to drag to an eternity, a still gaping Jongdae in the doorway. Dazedly, he watched as Yixing stood up, angling himself towards the exit as he began to put away his notes.

The realization that, if Yixing had happened to raise his eyes from the papers he was holding, he would definitely had seen him in his not-quite-secure hiding spot, prompted Jongdae to get out before he embarrassed himself to the point of having to change name and move countries. As discreetly as possible, he began to walk backwards, too preoccupied in getting out of there as quickly and as efficiently as possible to care about where he was going.

Though, his brave attempt died as soon as his back bumped into an unexpected something. Or rather, an unexpected someone. A someone that was actually pretty muscular and had at least a couple of inches on Jongdae. He hadn't even flinched when Jongdae had run into him, stumbled forward and turned around with a shriek and a flail of limbs. Not one of his proudest moments. Jongdae was willing to apologize to the unknown guy he'd tripped into as he hadn't to anyone since his debut, but, luckily, the large puppy-looking man in front of him didn't look quite threatening. That someone just stood there, an amused, face-consuming grin directed at Jongdae as he stared down at him with a slightly maniacal expression.

"You shouldn't be nosing around here, you know," his unexpectedly deep voice shook Jongdae from where he was rooted on his spot, something quite like panic running through his veins. He was going to die. He was going to be murdered by a crazy guy who looked like cute animals and rainbows and happiness. Barely a few feet away from his ultimate life inspiration. They'd never find his body. Kyungsoo would kill him for getting killed under his watch. His day couldn't get any worse. His possibly-future-murdered called back his attention, "Who are you? What are you doing here?"

Jongdae forgot how to speak. Breathe. Move. But he had to say something smart. Anything. "I... hm. I was just... you know... looking... bathroom?"

"Seriously? That's what you're gonna go for? You were looking for the bathroom? That's like the most cliché excuse ever. I'm disappointed," he sighed dramatically, hands coming up in mock resignation.

Jongdae's brain was torn between trying to find a really, really good comeback for that and being offended, and then he heard it. A bubbly laughter, prettier than any melody he'd ever heard. He snapped his head back to see the pianist, Yixing, standing by the door, dimpled smile in its entire splendor. And Jongdae wanted to crawl into a hole and die from embarrassment. He'd done exactly what he'd been avoiding all along: making a fool of himself in front of him. Although, annoyance was quick to cover his previous uneasiness. Yixing was laughing at him. No one laughed at ing Kim Jongdae. His glare darted between the two men, exasperation growing at the matching amused smiles sent his way.

Raising his chin and puffing his chest as he spoke, he recited his well-practiced speech, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Chen! International rock idol of the moment!" he stated proudly.

The tall guy in front of him stared down at him for a moment before bursting out laughing, the force of his cackles bending him over as he clapped his hands like an excited seal. Great. Another cute animal. Slightly offended and quite put off by his reaction, Jongdae turned towards Yixing, who was now blinking repeatedly, stunned. What the was wrong with this people? How could they not know him? Everyone knew him.

With an exasperated huff, he took out his phone, ready to call Kyungsoo to come and get him. His eyes widened, heartbeat erratic. 17 missed calls. He was in so much trouble.

Dismissing his previous argument, he turned around, beginning his search for his surely pissed off manager. Or at least he would've done so, had he not been captured by the ankle by that poor excuse of a giant. It seemed like the guy was actually out to kill him. Jongdae groaned at the impact. , polished ceramic floors weren't exactly soft for one to fall face first against and not end up in serious pain. His face already felt kinda sore, and he was sure it'd hurt like a tomorrow. He hated this guy.

"No no no. You're not going anywhere," he stated as he helped him up, laughter subsided but annoying grin still there. Jongdae attempted to shake the grip he had on his shoulder off, and was just about to let his anger take over and show the man what he was capable of, when the other went on speaking, "And of course I know who you are! You are my Xing-Xing's new music buddy!"

.oOo.

"Chanyeol here," Kyungsoo smiled politely to the crazy giant, now sat in front of him in the company's small buffet, Yixing by his side, "is Yixing's manager. He'll be your duet partner."

Jongdae couldn't bear to raise his eyes. Not only had he embarrassed himself in front of his future associates, he'd gone and completely ruined his and Yixing's first meeting. Forever. He'd never live this down.

"So we will be working together since tomorrow?" Yixing questioned tentatively. Jongdae raised his head just in time to see the excited glimpse in his eyes. It was not fair. Yixing got to be all cute a talented and have a dimple and a ing accent. Jongdae held back a groan. He loved that accent. Not that it had been the first time he'd heard it, of course. Let’s just say he was a pretty dedicated supporter (he utterly refused to use the word fan. Kim Jongdae was nobody's fan) and had seen quite a lot of interviews and varieties where Yixing had appeared. It made the thought of being able to see him every day for months so much more surreal.

"Sure. Jongdae can start whenever you are ready," Kyungsoo smiled. It was frankly terrifying to see him smile so much. It wasn't usual that Jongdae was on the receiving end of such smiles, but even then it just meant he wouldn't like what was gonna come. Like, at all.

"Chanyeol, can I use one of my compositions?" Yixing pleaded, hope thick in his voice as he tugged on his manager's sleeve.

"I think that's kind of what Minseok wants," Chanyeol smiled back. And Jongdae would be in serious trouble if his heart threatened to burst like that every time Yixing gave one of his dimpled smiles and bounced excitedly. He promptly tore his eyes away from him. So much trouble.

"I believe we are done for today," Kyungsoo stood up, tugging Jongdae to his feet, "We are leaving now, but let's meet tomorrow to get things done," he bowed slightly and then began strolling to the door, leaving Jongdae to follow.

Without giving it much thought, he turned around and gave a ninety degrees bow. Well, that may have been a little bit over the top. Sneaking a glance at Yixing, he caught the boy's eyes just as another of his musical laughter left his delicate lips. Though, it was soon operated by the loud, slightly choking sound that made Chanyeol's cackles. And seriously, the guy had to learn how to laugh without looking like he was dying from asphyxiation. Quickly to straighten up, he turned to follow his annoyed looking manager, not before noticing Yixing returning his gesture. Just then Jongdae made plans to get his heart checked for all that abnormal behavior. As soon as possible.

.oOo.

He couldn't bring himself to push the door open. He was so excited for the day to come, for the person that he knew was behind the door. But he was also pretty reluctant to finally cross the door. It had become obvious the day before that Jongdae's brain and limbs didn't function properly when he was within ten feet from Yixing.

"What the are you waiting for? We don't have all day," and with that Kyungsoo pushed him into the room, scowl appropriately replaced by a pleasant smile. Terrifying.

"You made it!" the crazy looking manager thing, Chanyeol, shouted. Really, didn't the guy have an interior voice?

"We were waiting for you," Yixing beamed, standing up from where they were apparently finishing a meal.

"I'm sorry. Were you eating?" Kyungsoo apologized.

Shaking his head slightly, the pianist offered Jongdae a bag of biscuits, which he accepted gratefully. Ignoring Kyungsoo's death glare, meant to remind him that he was on a strict diet since the whole Joonmyeon thing had made him put on weight, Jongdae ate as slowly and provocatively as possible. He tended to eat his feelings, and Kyungsoo ought to know there was no way in hell that he would reject anything the angel gave him. Ever. He'd have to deal with it.

"Oh," Yixing said, eyes wide as they judged their silent war, "I'm sorry! Are you dieting? No! And I just ruined everything," he looked seriously shaken, dimple nowhere to be found, and Jongdae had the ridiculous urge to wrap his arms around him and give him a cookie.

"No, no! Don't worry about it! It's just my manager that always nags too much, you know," he was quick to dismiss, shooting Kyungsoo the most accusing glare he could muster. Turning back to Yixing, he found his eyes already on him, and was quick to look away.

"Okay, okay, let's get over this," Kyungsoo muttered when silence settled between them, quick to pull a stack of papers out of his bag, "Let's begin with the schedule."

.oOo.

Yixing meant a lot to Jongdae. He'd heard about him for the first time nearly five years ago, when he was still in highschool and the idea of entering the music business hadn't even crossed his mind. He'd been taking after school Mandarin classes, which he thought were pretty much okay, but he was having a hard time getting used to the complicated, twisted sound of the syllables. His teacher had been quick to suggest music to improve his listening. Between the several artists he'd had to look up, one definitely stood up. An uprising star, a boy around his age, musical prodigy and master of several instruments, his favorite being the piano, and owner of the most breathtaking voice Jongdae had ever heard. That was the first time Jongdae fell in love with Zhang Yixing's voice. Not the last one, though. It was thanks to him that Jongdae began to consider getting into music professionally. And yet, here he was, after a lot of pain and hard work. He'd heard about Yixing being hired by another Korean company just after his debut, and being able to meet him, to know that he was just as good, if not much, much better in person, was like a dream came true.

Yixing was known to steal the heart of every single person who got to know him. Jongdae was no exception.

.oOo.

"But have you seen him? His dimple is definitely the best part. No no wait. His voice. It's just like melted chocolate, but just sweeter and prettier and it kinda makes your heart clench, you know? But oh god what about his fingers they are so ing long and pretty and they can reach every single tile and they're so fast and pretty and it’s like looking at a car crash you know like you are waiting for something to happen but he just-"

"That's it!" Kyungsoo yelled, "I got it. He's perfect and you love him. Shut the up! You haven't done anything but praise him since we got into the car. Fifteen ing minutes. Yixing this Yixing that, just shut up!" he breathed heavily at the burst, hands clenching the steering wheel forcefully.

"If you keep yelling like that while driving you're gonna get us both killed," Jongdae frowned, slightly preoccupied.

The car came to a sudden stop in the middle of the street; Jongdae's body pulled forward as he clasped his seatbelt like his life depended on it. He turned towards Kyungsoo, blood freezing at his freaked out expression.

"No. Please no. Don't tell me you ing fell for Zhang! What the Jongdae?! Do you like the guy or not?!"

"You could've gotten us killed! What's wrong with you?!"

"Kim Jongdae answer my ing question!"

Jongdae stared at him for a moment.

"Like him? Of course I like him. He's been my favorite singer since forever."

"You know that's not what I'm talking about," Kyungsoo sighed, running a hand through his shortish hair, "Yesterday. Just a day ago I told you not to mix your personal life with your career. And what do you do? Exactly that!"

"I'm not mixing anything! Why the hell are you still yelling at me?! I didn't even do anything," Jongdae huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

Kyungsoo rested his forehead against the steering wheel, letting out a frustrated groan, "Why? Why did I get stuck with a not only gay but also hormonal and teenager? Why me?"

"I'm not a teenager! Nor hormonal," he couldn't actually deny the other statements without blatantly lying.

"But really Jongdae, why? Why again? Wasn't Joonmyeon trouble enough?" Kyungsoo questioned, desperation seeping into his voice.

Well that was mean. "I don't like Yixing that way! He's just my sunbae and I respect him," he defended.

Kyungsoo shot him a disbelieving look, a surely sarcastic comeback on the tip of his tongue when the car behind him began honking. Turning his attention back to the front, Kyungsoo started the car, not without shooting his copilot a warning look. "This conversation is not over Kim Jongdae."

.oOo.