Part 1

The soul sweeper

The electronic watch on the desk pointed out 3:25 a.m.

“Aish… it’s so late!” the girl said stretching her hands above her head. She shut down the computer and slowly walked towards the bed. On the way she glimpsed a little out on the window… it was so quiet.

“…awfully quiet for Seoul…” she thought and pulled the drapes back on when a strange noise stopped her.  It sounded like something pointed shuffled on the ground. She looked for it and found a little man on the other sidewalk, brushing it with a big besom. She smiled and got ready to leave the window when this little man turned around to watch her. She quickly hid her face behind the curtain when those big yellow eyes looked back at her.  She laid weight on the really long and pointed nose and the yellowish smile… the same smile that now stared at her face to face. She opened to scream, but the sounds won’t come out.  The little man’s hand stretched its long, wrinkled fingers grabbing her neck. His clench became more powerful by the second until blood started pouring out from her nose and mouth.

The girl felt huge warmth all over her body… it was strange but it didn’t felt like someone was choking her; she felt like she was melting from toes to head, everything becoming more and more painful. A final spurt of blood burst out of and she fell lifeless on the ground. The little man smiled and begun humming a soft lullaby.  The besom’s sound stuck in the girl’s mind and she felt like someone was dragging her away from her body that laid there, under the window in a great puddle of blood. She wouldn’t turn around to see who was pulling her; she was too afraid of that yellow grin and the never stopping lullaby.

“Is this even possible?” a fat lady asked when a policeman passed by her with a black plastic bag.

“It looks like that, yes” he answered without stopping.

“God forbid! Dying like that…” another old woman said making the sign of the cross, looking after the policeman with teary eyes.

“Oh, God, I think we’ve over reacted with the booze tonight” a young girl whined gripping her boyfriend’s arm, swinging as much as he did.

“Ssst!” he said all of a sudden.

“What is it?” she grabbed his arm tighter.

“Boo!” he yelled having a laugh of a lifetime.

“!” she angrily replied after she screamed so loud that she made the young boy from across the street to stare at them.

JiYong, a young boy of about 25 years old, fair-haired, somehow reedy, but with a very keen brown eyes, walked his way up to his house, taking advantage of this really quiet end-of-October night.  He smiled blushing at them when he realized he was staring and kept on walking when a scratch on the ground stopped him. He looked around to find it, but he couldn’t. He threw another glimpse at the couple across the street and so he could also see the reason of that noise – a small man, with its besom was brushing the sidewalk.  He stuck his hands deeper in his pockets and wasted a couple more seconds on the man’s broom, then he kept on walking. After several steps, the woman’s terrified scream froze him. He turned around to look for her, but they weren’t in the same place where he left them; he  found them only when the man flew a couple of meters hitting on a building’s wall. JiYong quickly stepped behind the big tree in front of him, and driven by his characteristic pry, he kept on watching them.

The little man grabbed the woman’s neck and dragged her as she was some useless piece of cloth. She wasn’t moving anymore and a thick trail of blood marked the places behind her. The man stretched out his long fingers towards the crying man.

From where JiYong was watching, the little man’s hands looked way too big for his height and he had to cover his mouth with both hands and squat quietly. He firmly clenched his eyes when the man tried to scream again, but instead he only made weird choking sounds. Blood dashed away when the scary man clenched his throat making it to click, freezing JiYong’s heart for good. He once again stretched out his long fingers and suddenly made a movement as if he clenched something in his fist, then he started humming a soft song.  He smiled widely and stuck his pointy nose in the air, sniffing around calmly – he was looking for the still beating heart that made his song to stop. He stared at JiYong’s tree and whispered a soul-ripping “See you tomorrow…”, making poor Ji shake in terror.

It was so quiet… Even if it passed more than two hours, Ji was still crouched behind that tree. Something vibrating inside his coat shook him violently, sending sweat drops all over his face. He blushed again whipping his forehead with the back of his hands when he realized it was only the cellphone ringing. Like something big hit him over his head, he desperately searched his pockets until he took out the phone – its ringtone was the same soft song that the scary man was humming. He smashed it on the ground probably waiting for it to keep on ringing, just like in every horror movie, but it didn’t. He took a redeeming exhale and when his feet god ready, he whipped out like a quaky hare in the big city.

The cellphone lain around on the ground, broken in dozen of pieces, when a fagget brushed it away.