10/10

Down Dog Is Hell

Minseok arrived to yoga on Monday wearing a black knit hat, making Luhan laugh as he walked over to greet him.

“Have you been wearing that all day?”  He asked.

Minseok shook his head.  “No, believe me, I can tell you all about how badly my teacher’s freaked out to prove it.”

“They freaked out?”  Luhan asked.

Minseok nodded.  “They’re concerned for my job prospects since pink hair doesn’t exactly scream “professional” but don’t worry, I just told them I’d fix it before I started job hunting and they calmed down.”

Luhan relaxed as he heard those words.  He had been starting to be afraid he had caused a serious problem.  Now that he knew he hadn’t however, he had other questions.  “Then why are you wearing it now?”

Minseok gave a cursory glance around the room as girls began to file in.  “Because, the second I do, they’ll all know.”

Luhan blinked.  “And that bothers you?”

Minseok sighed.  “Not exactly, but…”

“But?”  Luhan asked as Minseok trailed off.

Minseok sighed and raised hand to rub the top of his head, pulling the cap back and forth.  “Are you sure they won’t mind?”

Luhan laughed and reached down to grab the edge of the hat.  “They all know I’m not straight.  Enough of them have asked me out for that to be certain.  That said, I can’t exactly guarantee how they’ll react, but I don’t think it’ll be bad.”

Minseok nodded at the words and raised his hand to help Luhan push the hat off his head, revealing the soft pink hair underneath that Luhan happily ran his fingers through before the clearing of someone’s throat had him turning around.

“So, this is why you’ve been ditching me on Friday’s.”  Victoria said, staring down at Luhan’s hand with narrowed eyes.

Minseok’s eyes widened at her words and turned to Luhan.  “You’ve been ditching her to eat with me?”

Luhan sighed as he let his hand fall away from Minseok’s head.  “You’re welcome to join us Vic.  We’ve got things figured out now.”

Victoria nodded, satisfied.  “Good.  Although I’ll have to pass this week.  I’ve got a date.”

“Your boyfriends going to be in town?”  Luhan asked, surprised.

Victoria nodded.  “Yeah, he managed to get off work so he’ll be here.  I’m going to probably drag him to class and then we’ll do dinner.  What are your plans?”  She asked, looking between the two.

Luhan shrugged and looked to Minseok, “Class and dinner?”

Minseok nodded with a smile.  “Class and dinner.”

Luhan turned back to Victoria with a smile as she rolled her eyes at their simplicity, causing Luhan and Minseok to laugh before they dispersed so that Luhan could start conducting class, at the end of which, Luhan found himself and Minseok the recipients of many knowing smiles, and a few congratulations that made Minseok blush.

---

Soccer practice on Tuesday went much the same, except that it was Luhan’s turn to feel slightly uncomfortable as he was stared down by Minseok’s soccer teammates, who, Minseok had warned him, didn’t all know everything, but knew enough to know that they wanted Minseok to be happy.

Thankfully though, after a couple of seconds, Ken was laughing and slapping him on the back while leaning forward to thank him for Leo’s hair, and practice was underway, much to Luhan’s relief.

---

The week continued in much the same fashion for both of them until Friday, and by the end of it Luhan was fairly certain none of their friends would ever let them forget that they spent their first week dating with matching hair, but he didn’t really mind.  He liked Minseok’s hair, and Minseok, well, Minseok was still getting used to it on Friday, if the way he kept staring at his reflection in the mirror prior to the couple’s class was any indication, but Luhan didn’t think he hated it, which was enough.

He walked up behind Minseok to lightly massage his shoulders.  “Ready?” he asked, studying Minseok’s expression in the mirror. 

Minseok nodded in the affirmative, but a question still passed his lips.  “Yeah… How many people come to this anyways?”

Luhan shrugged.  “It varies honestly.  Why?”

Minseok shrugged back.  “Just curious.  You ready to do this?”

Luhan laughed.  “Of course.  I’m the instructor, remember?”

Minseok laughed back.  “Yeah, but you were the one who was spacing out when we practiced this week.”

“Only because you kept being distracting.”  Luhan quipped right back.

Minseok gave an unapologetic shrug.  “Not my fault.”

“How is you kissing me whenever our faces get close together not your fault?”  Because that was what Minseok had done on both Monday and Wednesday when they’d been doing their extra practice, and yeah, that had been pretty distracting. It also had made Luhan fairly convinced that Minseok really liked seeing him flustered, which he didn’t know how he felt about.

Minseok just laughed before both he and Luhan were looking towards where the door was being opened by their first pair of the evening.  To both their surprise, it was also a pair they were quite familiar with.

“I thought you said you had plans.”  Luhan accused as Lay walked in with Suho at his side.

“I didn’t say what they were.”  Lay responded automatically as he and Suho both headed to the back to grab spare mats for the class.  Luhan just shook his head as the two got set up off to the side at the front of the room.  It wouldn’t be the last time he did that.

Leo and Ken appeared a few minutes later and got set up on the opposite side, before Victoria walked in with Changmin, a wide smile on her face.  After they arrived, things really began to pick up, and Luhan made sure to pull his and Minseok’s mats towards the front so that they could fit as many people as possible.  Some familiar faces just paired up girl-girl for the day, while others, like Victoria, had managed to drag their boyfriends into what Luhan figured was probably going to be their first yoga class, if their expressions, which varied from bored to annoyed and everything in between, were any indication.

He was about to motion to the monitor at the door to go ahead and close the door so he could go ahead and start class when one final pair appeared, and Luhan found himself trying not to stare. 

Tao and Kyungsoo slipped into the lineup of couples at the back, both glancing at each other nervously before settling down on the floor. 

Luhan didn’t know what to make of it.  Tao hadn’t told him anything about this. 

Apparently, Kyungsoo hadn’t told Suho either, if the way he was also trying not to stare at the two in the back of the room was any indication.

Tao looked up then, perhaps sensing Luhan’s scrutiny, and when he met Luhan’s gaze he blushed and looked away as Kyungsoo reached out a hand to squeeze his and looked at Luhan with the tiniest bit of a challenge in his eyes.  Luhan shook his head and looked away.  Clearly, he wasn’t the only one who had been keeping some secrets lately.

Minseok looked at him in confusion as Luhan shook his head.  “What?”  He asked.

Luhan inclined his head towards the pair at the back.  “I had no idea that was going on.”

Minseok followed his gaze.  “Oh… I did.”

“What?”  Luhan asked, turning back to Minseok, surprised.

“They really clicked at the party a few weeks back.  Didn’t you notice?”  Minseok asked.

Luhan shook his head.  No, he hadn’t noticed.

Minseok laughed.  “Well, I’m sure you can ask about it later.  I didn’t actually expect them to show up here either, but right now, I think we should be getting started, don’t you?”

Luhan glanced back to the clock at the front of the room and gave a nod.  “Yeah, we probably should.”

Minseok gave a smile.  “Then start talking, Mr. Instructor.” 

Luhan nodded and turned to the class to begin, running through the typical intro as he told them to not do anything that hurt and that the most important thing to remember was just to have fun.  His words were greeted with smiles and nods from the girls, while those boyfriends who had been dragged along shot him looks of rather intense skepticism, but Luhan didn’t really mind.  Instead he just stood next to Minseok to start their first sequence of the day, a series of side by side poses to get warmed up.

Once he had run through the sequence once (forward fold- flat back- hands to the floor –step into plank – lower to the floor – down dog).  Luhan left Minseok to repeat the motions a few more times as he went around the room to correct a few positions, smiling to himself as he pulled Lay’s hips a little higher and made him make a sound of annoyance.

Eventually, though, he made his way back to the front so they could continue with more poses that actually involved interaction.  They ran through a lot of the things he and Minseok had practiced before, but there were also a couple new ones that Luhan mixed in. 

The first of those was one of the simplest, twin trees.  I required them to stand side by side while pressing the palms together, then ground down through their close legs so that they could raise their other foot up off the ground and press it into their thighs.  Minseok and Luhan were both fairly steady on their feet, but there were plenty of other pairs who weren’t, and Luhan eventually felt the need to carefully pull away from Minseok’s hand to go help them out, instructing a few to place their one foot farther down their leg and so forth.

That happened a lot actually.  Luhan would do the pose with Minseok, but then have to go help everyone else in the room figure out.  Luhan had warned Minseok that would happen, and Minseok had said it was cool, but Luhan still felt bad that he basically keep abandoning Minseok at the front of the room, even if it was to do his job.

Then again, he thought as he they lowered down into temple pose, perhaps that was a good thing, because he was fairly certain that if he wasn’t running away, Minseok would probably have started kissing him like he had during practice. 

This thought occurred during temple pose because that was the first one during which Minseok had dared to try it that past Monday, and well it was no mystery why, Luhan thought as he glanced to the left and saw several couples smiling and bushing as they copied Minseok’s and his movements.

Temple pose was fairly simple.  You would start by standing opposite your partner with your hands in the air.  Then you’d begin to bend forward at the hips until your hands, forearms, and finally elbows, met at the middle.  Sure, sometimes you might have to adjust how far apart you stood, but that wasn’t really hard.  No, what made the move challenging was that the move left you with little choice but to bring your face very, very close to your partner’s, which, depending on how comfortable you were, had various results.

Luhan’s and Minseok’s, as previously mentioned, had been Minseok slightly breaking out of the pose to place a kiss to Luhan’s lips that past Monday.  This time however, perhaps more aware of their current position at the front of the class room, Minseok just smiled at Luhan and Luhan smiled back for a couple moments before again moving to check on other pairs.

Ken and Leo seemed unable to maintain eye contact, which made Luhan laugh as Leo tried to look anywhere but directly across from.  Suho and Lay on the other hand had most definitely kissed, although Luhan hadn’t seen it, but Suho was blushing far too much for there to be any other explanation.  As for Tao and Kyungsoo, Luhan wasn’t really sure since they were hard to see from where he was walking around at the front of the room, and he had decided early on that he wasn’t going to go back and bother them during class.  He could do that later, when he had unlimited time for questions.

The final move Luhan had planned for the day was a reclining pose that required the use of a rolled up towel or blanket, which he enlisted Minseok to help him distribute around the room before returning to the front.  Minseok just stared at Luhan in confusion when they got there.  This was another pose they hadn’t done before, the reasons for that being, one, it was simple, and two, Luhan hadn’t really felt like risking it after how temple pose (and most other poses) had ended up on Monday and Tuesday.

“Okay,” Luhan began as he took the rolled towel and placed it on the mat between them.  “First, decide who’s going to go first, and have them lay down on the floor with the towel centered on their spine.  You should then bring the soles of your feet together and lower your knees to the floor while placing one of your arms on your chest and the other on your stomach.”  Luhan paused between sentences, giving everyone enough time to react as Minseok began to also do as instructed, lying down with the towel beneath him and moving his legs, while Luhan reached out to correct his hands before glancing back to the room to see if everyone else was caught up. 

The mostly expectant faces he was greeted with let him know he could continue.  “Okay, now, if you aren’t the person lying on the ground, go behind your partner’s shoulders and press straight down on them gently.  This should help the person the ground relax while they hold this pose.”

Several nods greeted his words even as people began to hesitantly press down on their partner’s shoulders.  Most seemed nervous about just how hard they could push, including Tao, who Luhan could finally see clearly since half the class was now laying on the ground, but pretty soon, Luhan was seeing a few impatient hand movements from Kyungsoo that had Tao leaning down to apply more pressure, making Luhan smile before he was distracted by a relaxed sigh from Minseok beneath him.

“This feels nice.”  Minseok breathed out as he lay there with his eyes shut. 

“That’s the idea.”  Luhan responded, keeping his eyes on Minseok’s face and away from his legs which were, like on the very first day they had met, spread compromisingly wide. 

“Why didn’t we do this before?”  Minseok complained as he opened his eyes to look up at Luhan.

Luhan pushed down a bit more firmly as he responded with a teasing lilt to his voice.  “Because, I decided to focus on more difficult things.”

“Because breathing in and out is difficult.”  Minseok said with a laugh.

Luhan nodded.  “It’s very difficult.  Now don’t move.  I’m going to go make sure Ken isn’t actually dead.”

Minseok laughed as Luhan disappeared to indeed check up on Ken and Leo, among other things, like escaping hovering his head over Minseok’s face.  (Luhan was actually surprised Ken had managed to be so quiet through an entire hour, but he figured that had a lot to do with Leo.)

Luhan returned pretty quickly to Minseok though, and he then instructed everyone to switch positions as he himself also got down on the floor, leaning back on the towel that Minseok was quick to align with his spine before his hands went to Luhan’s shoulders, and he began to press down.

“Is this hard enough?”  He asked as he leaned forward over Luhan’s face.

Luhan nodded as he closed his eyes, making Minseok’s concerned expression disappear from his view.  “Yeah, it’s perfect.”

“Great.”  Minseok responded as he maintained the pressure, holding Luhan in place as his chest and hips expanded.  The sensation was quite pleasant, and was made even more so as Luhan considered just how impossibly painful it would have been a week earlier, back when he didn’t know anything except that Minseok had an ex-boyfriend that Luhan hadn’t been told about.

Sometimes, it was still hard for Luhan to believe that, that was really only a week ago.  Minseok and he had fallen into dating so naturally that it felt like they’d been at it for a lot longer than a week, especially when he considered how often Minseok seemed to like to kiss him.

He’d asked about that eventually, and not in the more playful way he had earlier before class, but in a much more serious tone, even though he was also careful to emphasize that he didn’t really mind, just that he found it strange.

Minseok’s explanation had surprised Luhan. 

Back when he’d been dating before, after the first few weeks, Woohyun had hardly ever kissed him, and he had never really been willing to kiss Minseok in public, which had hurt Minseok more than he wanted to admit because Minseok had wanted to kiss him, everywhere.

Now though, Luhan didn’t seem to mind, and Minseok wanted to kiss him, and so he did, a lot. 

Luhan had nodded in understanding, and repeatedly reassured Minseok that he didn’t mind, but also said that he wasn’t going to stop teasing him about it.  Minseok had readily accepted that with a smile, and a kiss, for good measure.

A sigh from above him broke Luhan out of his reminiscing, and he looked up to see Minseok’s face.  “What?”  He asked quietly.  He was certain he hadn’t laid on the ground for too long yet.

Minseok frowned slightly as he looked down at Luhan for a second before glancing out at the room for a second and then turning back, frown still in place.  Luhan tilted his head, confused, and waited.

Finally, Minseok opened his mouth.  “Would you be mad if I kissed you now?”

Luhan laughed lightly and raised a hand up to guide Minseok’s face down to his.  “No.”

He didn’t plan to ever be mad about that, mortifyingly embarrassed perhaps, because he was certain Lay was going to have a comment prepared later, but Luhan didn’t really find that he cared too much about that because at least now, he had someone to kiss.

---

Wow, we’ve reached the end… it’s sad and satisfying all at the same time…

For this final author’s note, I have decided to give you a list of ten things about this fic you may or may not have known.

  1. Tao and Kyungsoo is not out of nowhere, if you caught the tiny Easter eggs I threw in.  Did you?  (And yes, I know it’s weird, but if I ever write down the story, it makes sense… I think lol)
  2. This verse takes place on my college campus, and many place names are quite real.
  3. Part of the argument was written at the same time as chapter one, so yeah, I knew where we were going for a long time, even if we took forever to get there.
  4. The number of people who read the argument chapter, and nothing after, makes me worried.
  5. Luhan and Minseok not having in this was a conscious decision.  I may write a oneshot where it happens… eventually  (If I do, I'll update this to let you know ^^)
  6. Leo was never suspicious to me because I knew what he was there to do.  Therefore, I was caught off guard by some of your theories, and had to adjust to make sure I eliminated the love triangle angle early.  Which led to…
  7. Me having a hard time deciding whether to pair Leo with Ken or N.  I love Neo a lot…
  8. I was, and still am, especially nervous about making Minseok so affectionate so soon.  I hope this chapter clarified that at least a bit.
  9. You may have noticed I have an obsession with ankle injuries and with soccer.  I played soccer in high school, and had to go to physical therapy after repeated ankles sprains made merely walking painful.
  10. I orginally thought this would be 6000 words, then 12,000.  Our final count, somewhere north of 50,000 (oops)
  11. Bonus: The half chapters represent the points where we diverge from Luhan's perspective, but I'm betting you noticed that ^^

Finally, thanks for all your comments and feedback.  It’s been a joy writing for you, and I must say that you guys have been a great group of commenters who could always make me laugh.  If you are suffering from Xiuhan withdrawal, I have a couple oneshots for them in my Christmas project that you could checkout to help with that, with another planned to be posted tomorrow if you’ve already read the others.

Till next time *waves*