the little things || baekyeol

My First and My Last

title: the little things

pairing: baekyeol

length: 551 words

genre: romance????

summary: based off of this tumblr prompt: “i got you for secret santa so i got you this really expensive but sentimental gift that you’ve always wanted, hoping you’ll never find out it’s from me – and that i’ve been in love with you 1234567 years”.

posted on 3 – 1 – '16



With every step Baekhyun took, the snow, which thickly covered the sidewalk, crunched delightfully beneath his sneakers. As he wandered down the streets, he couldn’t help but to gaze into every shop, lights twinkling cosily, merrily, inviting him into the warm, snug buildings. A group of kids ran past him, wrapped in layers and layers of coats, hats, scarves and mittens, yelling and laughing as they threw snowballs at each other.

Baekhyun grinned, cautiously tugging on his own beanie. Memories of when he was younger attacked him all at once, precious memories of when he played outside with his friends, making snow angels in the ice-white snow, building (slightly failed) snowmen with odd, skew carrots as noses.

It was only three o’clock, but despite the earliness, the sky was slowly fading into a mixture of purple and blue hues, clouds partly covering the beautiful colours. A blizzard was on its way to Seoul. The weather forecast had warned multiple times for heavy snowfall, yet Baekhyun couldn’t withhold himself from going out. He ought to find a gift—the Secret Santa reveals were coming up, and he still hadn’t purchased anything, even though the person he was given was more important to him than anything else.

Soft flakes began floating downward, giving off a serene vibe. The scenery looked absolutely breath-taking; a white blanket draped over the rooftops and trees, Christmas lights shimmering softly, little stores decorated for the season and Baekhyun let a smile blossom on his face as he took it all in. Winter had always been his favourite season. Snuggling underneath a blanket with a warm cup of hot chocolate—don’t forget the marshmallows!—, watching Santa Claus featuring Tim Allen on replay was all he’d ever ask for.

Finally entering the shop he was searching for, he let the warmth engulf him, jolly Christmas carols trickling into his ears. His eyes explored the music store ceaselessly, and when they landed on the guitar section he almost simultaneously walked towards the carefully displayed acoustics. Hands the wood, a fuzzy feeling entered his stomach.

His person had jutted down small, nugatory items on the lined paper, making his list perfect and affordable for a student like him with only little income, however, Baekhyun couldn’t bring himself to gift a mere chocolate bar when he was more than aware as to what his person wanted. He hadn’t been crushing on the goofy giant without noticing the small details—habits; how he tugged at his sleeves whenever his nerves got the best of him, how he sneakily popped in one earbud in class, how he laughed this cute, silent laugh whenever someone complimented his acoustic covers, shyly averting his gaze to the ground as he muttered a soft ‘thank you’. He was just so freaking perfect, ideal boyfriend material. A relationship wasn’t even necessary to Baekhyun. Admiring the younger from a distance, watching his charming smile day after day, listening to his deep, brass voice telling exceptionally soggy jokes, was all he’d ever need.

And perhaps it was on the spur of the moment, the overwhelming tingles of Christmas, or rather the picture of an overly joyed Chanyeol, that he found himself printing his footprints in the fresh layer of snow a short while later, guitar case tightly in his grip.

 


 

A/N: lol I was supposed to put this up around christmas but who's the laziest author ever? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ + I had plans to make this a one-shot but hueh I actually kind of like it this way ; u ; aND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE may 2016 be a great year for you all ♡♡ oH if you're interested, I wrote an hp!au kaisoo one-shot over [here]!! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ