Truth

Let's Play Pretend

"But I'm already on my way. I'll be there in like ten minutes."
"That doesn't matter, just go in, he'll arrive in half an hour."

I hung up without even saying goodbye to the manager.
I knew this was a bad idea from the start, but now I'm almost there and there's no way in hell I'm backing out again.

This will be my opportunity to talk to him, to get at least a bit of my best friend back even if it's only fake.

I slipped out of the car as soon as we arrived, fixed myself one last time and rang the doorbell.

A few moments later I was lead into a stunning new house and greeted by two women and one guy, whom I knew as 'Mama Shin'.

"Did you eat already?" His question followed by a gentle smile pulled me out of my admiration and I declined.

"No, but I really don't want to bother you."

 

Turned out it wasn't a bother to him at all.

Some time later, after feeling incredibly useless, I was seated at a big table and served fried rice with, ugh, cucumbers.

I had to suppress gagging and started eating instead. Don't freaking act like a spoiled brat.

Across from me sat the older woman, watching my every move with eagle eyes, and noted that I had picked out the unwanted vegetable.

That caused a bit of a ruckus but I could calm Mama Shin down again.

 

After the meal my phone started suddenly buzzing and I prayed that it wasn't my dearest girlfriend.

Instead, a name was shown on the display that nearly made me drop my phone.

Chanyeol.

I answered with a small voice and almost fainted when I heard his deep voice calling out for me.

"Baekhyun, where are you?"

"I'm already here, where are you?"

"What?! I'm so sorry, I'll be there in five."

"Don't worry about it."

"Okay, I'll be there soon."

I could almost hear him smile and it broke my heart knowing that it was only show. I wondered if he would ever smile at me like he used to.

 

I waited together with the other roommates and we lost ourselves in smalltalk. About this and that, and how the guys lost a small helicopter and the neighbours just didn't give it back. It sounded ridiculous, but fun.

When my laughing fit slowly dimmed down, I suddenly realized, that I hadn't laughed so carefreely like this in a long time.

To be honest, there was nothing, and especially nobody, around me during schedules that could make me laugh like that.

I quickly shook the thoughts away and got up as soon as I heard the door open, revealing a pretty normal looking Chanyeol.

His eyes widened slightly when he saw me but he nonetheless smiled brightly.

My heart tightened and out of instinct I put my hand out, like he always used to do when he wanted me to get closer.

Luckily he hadn't forgotten what this motion meant because the next thing I knew was his hand in mine and shortly after he softly pressed me against his side.

 

The memory of our small hug never left my mind, not even when I was supposed to focus on actually participating in the other roommates talks.

I didn't care how nice or funny they were, all I wanted to do was to finally talk to Chanyeol. Alone.

The later it got, the more left. Some had to go to work, the girls went to bed and Mama Shin and the other funny guy (that I'd share a room with tonight) went downstairs for a small snack.

Chanyeol and I stayed behind and he decided to show me his room so that we'd have at least something to do.

He locked the door and took off his sweater while I sat on his bed, moving from left to right, amused by the fact that the small camera in the room across from me kept following my movements.

That moment didn't last for long because suddenly Chanyeol pressed a button at the back of it, turning it off.

 

"You have something to tell me, don't you?"

Oh man, here goes nothing. Although I planned on telling him ever since day one and pictured many scenarios in my head of how it might end, the reality is still something completely different.

"Come on, what is it? Truth be told, at first I tried to ignore it. But the fact that you, whenever you saw me, looked like you were about to cry and like a little, hopeless puppy made me curious."

All of a sudden my fingers seemed so interesting, and I just couldn't look at him anymore.

"I...well, uhm..." I started stammering until I regained control if my brain, "Taeyeon and I aren't dating..."

 

"Anymore, right?"

What?

"No, what I mean is..."

I tried to explain but being his usual Chanyeol-self he just had to interrupt me.

"Oh god, you two just broke up and I wasn't there for you. I'm so sorry." He kneeled down in front of me so that he could take a look at my face.

What's up with this sudden change?

"It's not like that, it could never be like that."

"Now I'm confused..."

"Just listen to me for once, will you?!"

He backed away a bit, surprised by the sudden raise of my voice, but nodded anyway.

"Taeyeon and I were never really dating, it is just a show to draw the attention away from somebody else."

"I don't get why you two have to date. I mean, why can't she just be with the other guy?"

I facepalmed and sighed before explaining, "Because we are both gay and she is happy with Tiffany."

 

"Oh...I get all of it now, but there's one more thing."

He quieted down before yelling at me, "Why the did you never care to mention that you're gay?!"