The Party

Angel's Fate

 Chapter Four 


“YOUR WHAT?!!” The nasal voice now shouted in disbelief tone. “Are you kidding me right now, Kim Eunmi?!”

 

“No, Hyerin. I’m serious. My grandfather announce to the family this morning that he had setting an arrange marriage for me. And Sehun’s boss is my future husband. His name is Tao, Huang Zi Tao son of Huang Zi Shen.” She explained.


Hyerin shut her gaping mouth with the palm of her hand. “Huang Zi Tao?! That… the Huang Holdings Inc. heir?? Are you sure?!”


“You know him?” Eunmi asked. Her head tilt and her eyes dilated by curiousity.


Hyerin throw her hands in the air, “Everyone knows him, Eunmi. The youngest CEO in Korea! He was the hot topic among all girls these days. You really don’t know him before?” Hyerin raised her eyebrows and shook her head.


“No, not after grandpa mention his name.” Eunmi shrugged. Hyerin rolled her eyes, unbelieving her bestfriend didn’t know anything about him.


“Oh God… he’s the most ideal man to be a husband, Eunmi. Young, rich, handsome, gentlemen, tall… damn, you are really the most lucky girl, Eunmi. I envy you. You must be happy!” She gave her gentle punch in the arm.


“Oh, have you two met?” She move her sitting position to hear the story further.


“Yes we have. We lunch together today.” Her head facing the ground, recalled their meeting this afternoon.


“Is he coming tonight?” Hyerin still investigate her bestfriend curiously. She wonder if the rumours was true about him being the perfect young man.


“Of course. Grandpa must have invite him.” She nod and shrug her shoulder.


“How—” Hyerin suddenly paused, her eyes landed on the content of the white box in Eunmi hands.


“Wait... is that Gucci?!” Eunmi realized what she was talking about. She then open the content and surprised to see what inside. Gucci Funnel-neck crepe dress, Nina Ricci Marche leather and suede clutch, Roksanda Ilincic Delmore wool-felt jacket, Saint Laurent Monogramme gold-plated cuff, and a pair of Christian Louboutin pumps. The two girl gasps, too surprised to see those present.
 

               

  

“My God… is it really from that guy? Man, this is all fashion-set and he really has high sense of fashion. Oh, what a perfect creature!” Hyerin squeal and shook her friend’s body in excitement. “Let me see the note!” She snatch the paper from Eunmi.

 

Present for you to wear tonight. Stand stunning beside me. Happy Birthday.
−TAO−

 

“Aww.. girl, he’s romantic too! What are you in your previous life Eunmi, that makes you this damn lucky! You found your fated prince! Congratulation!” Hyerin hugs Eunmi excitedly and ushered her to get change her dress into fashion-set from the box.


Eunmi hold the note and feeling confused. What he wrote compare to his personality she knows is totally different. ‘Is he bipolar or what?’


She admit that the fashion-set (Hyerin named it) present was really suits her. The size, color, model… all of them perfect in her preference. She likes it. And she knows that Tao must be stalking her before. She’s saisfied that although it is a sleeveless dress, but he put additional jacket to prevent her from freezing. And after she finish to change, she felt satisfied with her look. Perfect with her concept. Simple and elegant.


“How do I look?” She asked her bestfriend who is now looked at her in amazement.


“Wow! I can only think one word. Stunning!” She gives her two thumbs up for Eunmi’s appearance.


“Sit down, honey. Let my hands do the magic to your face. You running out of time, now.” Hyerin begin to do the make-up for her bestfriend.

 

◈◈◈

 

Eunmi walk out from her room and Hyerin her down the stairs. At the end of it, Tao was waiting for her, leaning on the stair handle. When he heard the sound of knocking heels against the marble tile, he straight up and looking at her. His eyes widened fixed on her figure, obviously stunning.


“Hi,” She greeted when standing in front of him.


“Hi...” His eyes blinking several times. “You look... gorgeous.” His eyes seems can not off of her.


She blushed. “Thanks. You too.” She looked at his attire. He wear formal-casual suit. Black jeans combined with collarless zipper-trim black blazer and woven white shirt inside. His brass tack shoes is really eye catching and matched with the concept. He was totally a fashion master.
 

  
 

“This is my bestfriend, Jung Hyerin. You must have already know her, before. And Hyerin, this is Huang Zitao.” Eunmi introduced them. Hyerin’s brows knit in confusion, but when he held out his hands out, she quickly shook it and smile widely.


“Oh, of course. Nice to meet you Hyerin-sshi. You look pretty.” He smiled. Hyerin blushed madly with his praise.


“Oh, thank you very much Zitao-sshi. You look handsome too, as always.” She unconsciously praised him with admiring face and emphasized the last words. He nod and smile.


She gasp, “My goodness!” realized what was she said with her own mouth and shut it with her hands and send an apologetic look to Eunmi who roll her eyes at her bestfriend embarassing act. “Uh... I-I think I have to find my date... Eunmi-ah. Nice to meet you, Tao-sshi,” She handed Eunmi to him with awkward smile and walk away to the crowd.


After making sure Hyerin had gone from hearing range, Tao look at her with his typical sharp look. “What took you so long? I have to ask Sehun when did he deliver the box to you.” He said a little irked.


Her eyes widen, knowing very well what was he means. “Se-Sehun did his job, it’s just me— I-I’m sorry for wasting your time.” Her mood was down by his words.


“Why did you apologize? I’m just anticipated... to see you wearing it...” His eyes not daring to make contact with hers.


“Eh…?”


“Nothing. Let’s go.”


Eunmi sure she saw him blushing. Or it was only the light? But deep inside her heart was suddenly skip a beat when he placed her hand on his arm and walk together to the crowd. As soon as she walk through the door, the guests were applauded and all eyes on them. The MC introduce the birthday girl and asked her to the mini stage. A big cake placed in the center and she blowed the candles when a birthday song begin. It was just for the formality, really.


She received many birthday greetings from the guests and heard a lot of wishes. She just smiles and thanked to them. While she was busy with greetings activity, Tao slip away from her side without knowing. When she realized, her eyes instinctively looking for his figure. She feels slightly empty with his absence. She greet the last guest with fake smile and try to find him.


“Here,” A tap on her shoulder surprised Eunmi.


“Where have you— oh, it’s you oppa.” It was Kai, brought her a glass of champagne.


“Why, you always surprise with my presence,” He laughed. She received the glass and take a sip while her eyes secretly still looking his missing stature.


“Who are you looking for? Oh— where’s Tao hyung? I haven’t meet him personally,” Kai’s eyes look around to find his half-brother.


“He’s the one I’m looking for, oppa. He didn’t say where to go,” She said with long sigh. He nodded.


“By the way, you look beautiful Eunmi. Nice outfit.” Kai smile and point her dress.


“Thanks oppa. This is from Tao, he sent me all of this.”


“Wow, he’s got the sense, apparently.” They laughed.


“You’re great too, you styled your hair I see,” She reached out her hand and touch his hair.


“I’m great all the time, Eunmi. You know that.” He said cockily.


“Oh please, stop being so cocky oppa! It’s annoying me!” She slap his arm playfully.


They talked happily, occasionally interrupted by guest who sends her greetings and wishes. Kai even made a jokes about some guest’s attire. But suddenly, a hands wrap around her waist. She gasped surprised.


“Sorry Eunmi, I left you.” Tao said it in whisper.


‘Did he said love you? No, it must be left you. EUNMI GET A GRIP!’ She thought, scolding herself. That was indeed a small act and count as ordinary act, but it’s sending strange vibe into Eunmi’s heart. Her heart skip a beat instantly, her body shiver listening to his sweet voice. She felt butterflies in the stomach. Without her knowing, she was froze on the spot with blank face.


Tao then look at Kai. “Hello brother, long time no see.” He smiled, held out his hand while release Eunmi from his wrap and greeted with hugs by the younger. That was when Eunmi back to the world and watch the two brothers reunion.


“Long time no see hyung. I missed you.” Tao released him and pat Kai’s shoulder.


“I missed you too. You’re not changed much, Jongin-ah. Or should be called Kai now,” Kai let out a little laugh by his brother words.


“Just Kai would do. But you’ve changed so much, hyung. More mature, and more approachable now,”


Tao chuckled, “I never mean to scare people, Kai. But by people acting like that I relieved, no one will disturb me and I can found peace, am I right?” They laughed. By hearing that, Eunmi knows that Tao has this scary character since young. ‘More approachable, now? I wonder how scary he was back then.’


“Alright hyung. Hey, how’s our parents?”


“They’re fine, still in China. And …” Tao’s looks changed. His face shows anger now.


“Wh-why?” Kai asked in worry.


“Baba, you know he always like that. Stubborn, obstinate, and self-absorbed. Mom always having a hard time because of his bad nature,” He sip his wine furiously.


“Yeah… but he did that for the best, hyung.” Kai said, try to defend but he himself know how his stepfather act.


“In a wrong way.” Tao said sternly. There’s an awkward silence between them after that. Eunmi start to imagine how scary his father-in-law to be. She shudder just to think about it.


Tao chuckled. “Ah, forget it. So Kai, you are the part of Kim’s family now?”


“Uh... yes, I’m happy live in here. They’re nice to me. I thought Mom will live better without me, she has her own life now.” Kai said and smile sheepishly.


“And you’re going to be my brother-in-law soon.” Tao stated.


“I’m very glad to hear that, hyung.”


“But I don’t think Eunmi glad to hear that, brother.” His eyes now looking at her direction. Eunmi startled with the sudden attention and his words.


“She’s still hoping you’re the groom, not me, Kai.” Tao said nonchalantly. Her eyes widened, her brains can’t found any words to explain the situation.


“A-ah… it’s not possible hyung. She’s my little sister, we can’t be more than that. I’m sure you two will be a great couple.” Eunmi heard it. She take a deep breath and release a long sigh. Eventhough he said it many times before, she’s just take it as empty words. Now he officially said to Tao and she caught the sincerity in his words. She had no hope anymore.


“I’m always a little sister to him, Tao. You heard him.” She said bitterly.


“Then don’t cry to me when I claim her to be mine, Kai.” Tao and Kai chuckled.


When Eunmi’s eyes and Kai’s met, she catch a glance from his expression that she couldn’t interpret. She decided to let it go and drink the champagne. Kai and Tao continue to talk about what had happened in this 7 years when they’re separated. She just listening quietly while also listening the music from the band. She look around, and found her bestfriend Hyerin approaching with her date.


“This is my bestfriend that I told you. Eunmi, this is Lee Taemin, the younger brother of Lee Taesun who owned shopping mall in Gangnam. And Taemin, this is Kim Eunmi, the heir of Kim Corp.” She introduced them. Eunmi and Taemin shake hands and nod respectfully.


The two brothers look at them and Taemin looks surprise when see Kai. And Kai reflected his act. “Oh, Taemin! I can’t believe we meet here!” Kai give him a manly hugs.


“You two know each other?” Hyerin asked.


“He’s my colleague in Japan,” Taemin replied. They all nods, except Tao who caught Taemin take a suspicious glance to Eunmi. Like a man interested in woman.


“He’s my elder brother, Taemin-sshi. And introducing, this is Huang Zitao... my—”


“Future husband.” Tao cut her sentence and shook Taemin’s hand firmly. “What is your relationship with Hyerin, may I ask?” He pointing to Hyerin and Taemin. Tao didn’t like the way Taemin looking at Eunmi. He want to make sure whether Hyerin and Taemin is a couple or not.


“Oh, we’re just friends, I asked him to be my date for tonight.” Hyerin clarify casually. Tao nodded but still in his cold face. ‘No wonder this guy checking her out.’


“I didn’t know you have pretty sister, Kai.” Taemin said while admiring Eunmi from head to toe. Honestly, Eunmi didn’t like that kind of attention.


“I’m her adoptive brother. Her family took me in.” Kai explained.


Taemin still looking at Eunmi like she was edible. He didn’t like the fact that she had a fiancé. If only she was single, he would do anything to make her became his. Never in his life he desperately want a girl like this. Tao caught Taemin’s gaze to Eunmi. He felt his chest burning, anger start raising. He didn’t like Taemin thinking he was better than him to take Eunmi. With that thought, he can’t hold his anger anymore.


“Sorry to interrupt, but can I borrow Eunmi for a while? I need to show her something.” Tao nod at them and quickly drag her away by wrist. The three people they left just stare at them confused.


He take her inside, at the kitchen. He released a deep sigh in anger while Eunmi yelp when he release her hands.


“What’s wrong with you?!” She snapped. She rub her wrist to ease the pain from his strong grip.


“That Taemin guy is checking you out, you know that?” He snap her back.


“And what’s the problem with it?”


“I don’t like the way that guy looking at you!”


“So what? Why did you have to react like this? He didn’t do anything inappropriate to me yet, it was his rights to look at me like that!” She yelled frustating.


‘Why did I have to react like this? Am I now getting protective to her? No, it shouldn’t be...’


“I just... don’t like him— just... forget it.” He soften and regret why he had to drag her here. She scowl, didn’t understand his reason.


His eyes landed on her wrist which had red mark from the scene earlier. “Is it hurts?”


“Huh?”


But before she could reply he already walking to the fridge to open the freezer. He take out some ice cube and put it in his handkerchief. He wrap it and put it on her wrist. She frown in confuse by his act.


“I can’t control myself earlier. So... let me do this.” He didn’t apologize directly, but his act show how regret he was. open, but no words were out. She’s confused, didn’t know what to say. She start to think that he was bipolar. She questioned his mental health secretly. But the way he take care her wrist somehow made her slightly happy that he was responsible to what he had done.


“Is it okay now?” He asked with worry still plastered in his face.


“Uh... ehm... yeah,” was all she can tell.


“Then come on, you have to giving your speech soon.” She nodded hesitantly but follow him out.


The party is still going on, with some band and singer perform beautifully. The Kim’s family didn’t held the party for nothing, it was to gain more business partner and with Eunmi’s request, the guests could donate their money voluntarily to be donated to Kim’s foundation that Eunmi runs to help poor orphan in unknown orphanage in need. She had to speak to convince them about how many kids in unknown orphanage out there who needs their help. Eventhough she knows that would ends with pride war for who’s the most donating the money, but she couldn’t care.


She was just coming down from the mini stage after announcing the total amount of money that has been collected, and thanking everyone who have participated and donated their money. Her grandfather walk to her side, praised her with the generosity she had. When the old man said that he would giving his speech in front of the guests, she immediately felt nervous. She know what will her grandfather speak about, and she’s not ready yet for everyone to know that she will be marry with Tao.


“Why are you so nervous?” Tao asked.


“I think my grandpa will announce our marriage to everyone, and I’m not ready yet.” She bit her lower lip with her eyebrows knit together.


“Oh, this will be a surprise, then.” He respond.


Her frown went deeper. “Tao, they’re going to know that we’ll be getting married! Don’t you worried how rumours will spread? The press will stalk us everywhere, wanting to know what motive behind this and—”


“If it happens, I’m going to take care of it. Relax Eunmi, this is not going to be a real marriage anyway,” He said nonchalantly.


“What? But you said—”


“I still don’t love you, and you don’t love me too. That’s not a real marriage, Eunmi. We just arranged to be married and we will be married by law. We just have to act like a real couple, in fact with no love involved.” He stated. Eunmi looking around to make sure nobody eavesdropping their conversation. When she look back at him, he was focused his attention to her grandfather who giving speech.


His words has the point, always. They don’t love each other, so it was fine to say that it will not be a real marriage. But why Eunmi feel discontent to hear that? She herself didn’t know. Just because he was being gentlemen to her doesn’t mean she can falling for him that quick. She was still scared and intimidated when he was around especially when he look at her with his sharp eyes right in hers. And also, he had bipolar issues.


Then again, she thought about her life after they’re married later. Could she live for a long time in the same roof with someone she don’t love and barely know? She had promise to herself that she will only get married once in a lifetime with someone she loves and cherish. She wants to be an angel like in the memories she had. But in this situation, could this marriage survive in the end? Just by that thoughts makes her head dizzy.


She listen to her grandfather’s speech, still nervous and worried if he speak up about the marriage. Occasionally she glanced at Tao who seemed to listen carefully.


“And for the last time, happy birthday to my grand-daughter. Long live my darling,” Her grandfather smile widely and raised his glass for her. Everyone’s applauded and some of them raised their glass too. Even Tao give her applause too.


Eunmi still absorb the situation. Until the end, her grandfather didn’t mention the marriage at all, neither introduced Tao as his future grandson-in-law. Her guessed was wrong.


“Smile,” Tao whisper. She slightly startled, but gave them a sweet smile in the end.


“See? No need to be nervous, Kim Eunmi.” He smirked, like he knows something she didn’t know.

 

◈◈◈



Sorry for taking a long time to update new chapter, I was hospitalized :(

In case you don't know, Baba is Father in Chinese.

Thank you for reading, don't forget to comment, ok? It will help me a lot :)

Have a great day, everyone!