Breakfast Talk

Angel's Fate

 Chapter Five 
 

Eunmi woke up next morning with throbbing pain in the head. She didn’t remember she's been drinking too much last night at the party. But the alcohol that absorb into the blood help her remind how much liquid she drank and caused the headache. She grab a fist of her dark brown hair and groaned when the pain intensify as she tried to get up. She knows it’s not very a lady-like but she couldn’t care much.


In half-asleep state she trying to find her phone to look at the time. By the time she opened her eyes, the sun was already high. It’s already 9.47 AM. She missed her routine exercise. Eunmi release a long sigh then stretch her body. She rub her eyes and was about to go to the bathroom when her phone vibrates and ringing at the same time indicate a new message arrived. A pop-up message blinked on the screen.

 

I’m on my way to your house. Be prepare already.
—Tao—


From : Unknown Number
October 28, 2014 09:49

 

She blinked for a moment, wondering why did he have to come to her house in the morning. And soon after, her eyes widened in shock. ‘How can I forgot about this meeting?!’


She got up from the bed to the bathroom in a rush. She blame it to the alcohol. Eunmi is not a hard fans of it, considering she is very strict maintaining her health. But last night was an exception because it was her birthday party. She never drank too much, because she has a weak tolerance on alcohol. Now that she almost got trouble because of it, she cursed. She took a short shower for 10 minutes—it was indeed a short time for woman—and hastily put on a thin make up and don’t forget to wear the contacs.


Last night after party, her grandfather talk to Eunmi and Tao. He wants to know his future grandson-in-law more and talk some business things and the marriage of course. Her grandfather invite him to have breakfast and Tao agreed to it. Eunmi was once again nervous at the mention of marriage by her Grandfather. She was already ensure herself long ago that even she will end up in arranged marriage, she would try her best to be a good wife for whoever would be her husband. But after meeting with Tao, she didn’t know whether she still have that will or not.


She unlock her room’s door in a rush way, didn’t want to be more late to join the breakfast or almost already brunch now. She open the door and almost run outside hurriedly before she tripped because her slippers got stuck in the tip of the door and immediately stumble forward. But a pair of hands was faster to caught her before she fell to the ground.

 

◈◈◈

 

Tao is just arrived at the house and get down from his car. Eunmi’s grandfather was already waiting at the main door with his son, Eunmi’s father. They smile to see him glancing around walking to where they were. Tao greet them with deep bow and shook their hands after. Eunmi’s father and grandfather seems satisfied with his manner to the elder and happy that Eunmi will married to this man. The father invite him inside and guide to the grand dining room where Eunmi’s mother and several maids was just finish arranged the food on the table.


He look around to find her presence, but didn’t surprised when he didn’t found her figure at that place. He knows that she took a few glass of champagne last night when she nervous. She was a bit tipsy and when drowsiness attack her, he was the one who take her to her room with Kai’s assistance. He assumed she must be experienced the hangover now and chuckled at the thought.


“I’m sorry Tao-sshi, but Eunmi is still in her room and probably late to join our breakfast. Her personal maid had knock her room but no answer from her. But I already send Jongin to wake her up. Is it okay for you to wait, my dear?” Eunmi’s mother send him an apologetic look on her face. It was ashamed to have her daughter late on important meeting with the future husband. She afraid Tao would think her daughter won’t fit to be his wife.


“It’s alright to me Mrs. Kim, no need to worry. In fact, I would have an interesting talk with these nobleman here, while waiting for her. She must be tired from last night.” He smile and Mrs. Kim looks relieved. They have to admit, Tao is the perfect husband for Eunmi. They fell in his good manner immediately.


Actually, he don’t like waiting. He may use the good reason to talk to Eunmi’s father and grandfather about business and such things, no need to mention how enjoyed they were talked to him. But he didn’t enjoy a bit waiting in the dining room, having a cup of morning coffee with that tiring subject of conversations. It’s only 5 minutes and bored get the best of him.


“If you don’t mind, may I check on Eunmi, Sir? I was worried if she was sick or something...” He said. He disgust himself for talking sweet like that.


“Oh sure, Son. Her room is in the second door in the left on second floor.” Eunmi’s father happily respond.


Tao immediately dismissed himself from them and start to walk to the stair. But his eyes bumped to her figure walking down the stairs being helped by Kai. He wrapped his hand on her waist, and looks carefully on their steps. Eunmi looks in pain everytime she stepped on her left leg. Tao frown, dislike with what he saw. She is technically going to be his wife, and seeing her in another man’s arms even though his brother, made him annoyed. Being gentlemen he is, he walk to their direction and immediately took her from Kai.


“Don’t you see she walk in pain? You should carried her like this.” He said while carried Eunmi bridal style.


Eunmi shock with his sudden presence and realized their position. Her eyes widened and blinked many times with mouth gape open. She want to ask him, but due to her shock, can not synchronized with her brain right now.


From this view, she can see his facial feature closer. He really has a perfect look. His jaw line looks fine and his facial skin is smooth. She assume he just shaved this morning. But her eyes lingering on one spot, the curve on his corner lips. She thought that must be the reason why he looks so y. Unconsciously, she imagine how that lips would taste on hers and—


“Shut your mouth. You might drool on my shirt.” He said coldly, quiet enough only for her to hear. All of her thoughts immediately broken. She closed as he put her down on the couch in the near livingroom.


“What have you done to your leg?” Tao asked while observing her leg by touching it.


“I tripped— aww! Don’t touch that area, it hurts!” She screamed when he touch her ankle.


“She was in a hurry going downstairs to join our breakfast hyung. She stumbled because her slippers got stuck,” Kai explained. Tao knows, he was his brother and he had no reason to be pissed on him, but seeing Eunmi in Kai’s arms being a lump in his heart. He didn’t know why he care Eunmi that much.


“You sprained your ankle.” He tried to massage it gently, but Eunmi still screamed in pain. “Could you bring me ice cubes, Kai? This should be compressed to keep down the swelling.” He added. He acknowledge some method of treating a sprained ankle when he was a boy scout in middle school. It is also necessary in his sidejob anyway.


He rolled up his sleeves and start to compress her ankle gently. Never in his life he kneeling in front of woman and treating a sprained ankle like this. If not for her family who watch him right now, he wouldn’t act like this. He could simply take her to the hospital and handed her to the doctor and nurses. But he was here to gain trust from her family because it was the mandate from his obstinate father.


“Better?” He asked dryly. She tried to move her foot but wince in pain again. She bit her lower lips to prevent her cry.


“I’ll take you to the hospital but you have to eat your breakfast before,” Tao said, supported by her family who nodded in agreement with his suggestion.


“Okay,” Eunmi sighs, lost in number to arguing.

 

 

They begin to eat the breakfast that Mrs. Kim and maids prepared. Tao sat beside Mr. Kim, across to Eunmi. She feels the familiar feeling, when she had lunch with him yesterday. But in this situation, that feeling doubled, when her parents, grandfather and Kai is in the dining table too. She guessed her grandfather’s reason to invite Tao was to talk about their wedding.


“It’s pleasure to have you joining us for breakfast, Tao-sshi,” said Mrs. Kim.


“Ah, no Mrs. Kim, the pleasure is all mine. I’m so honored to be in this table with Kim’s family, the respected colleague of my father.” Tao said in well-respected tone.


“We would be happy and felt safe to have Eunmi in your companion. You know... she may be have flaws and lacks, but she’s a very determined girl who always tried the best in everything, Tao-sshi. I wish you will understand her and lead her well,” said Mr. Kim, glancing at his daughter when speak about her.


“Eunmi is a nice girl. But I think we still have more time to know each other well before we settled the marriage date. I don’t want to rush everything, I don’t want Eunmi feel pressured Mr. Kim.”


‘To know each other? It’s more like me who should know more about him since he was the one who stalk me in the first place and knows everything about me’ Eunmi snort. She spooned her soup and shook her head.


“That so thoughtful, Tao-sshi.” He caught their hearts already by his sweet words.


“Jongin-ah, did you miss your brother? You’ve been separated for a long time, right?” Asked the grandfather.


“7 years, grandfather. He taught me to work hard to pursue my dream. Tao hyung is a role model for me,” Kai gave them a smug face. Tao smiled.


“Nothing you can achieve without effort and all you can do is working hard to make it true, Kai-ah.” Tao said wisely, just to impress of course.


“You must be proud to have brother like him, right Jongin? Soon, he will be your brother-in-law.” Grandfather says.


Eunmi’s eyes suddenly focused on Kai when grandfather finished his sentence. His expression stiff for a second, but he managed to smile and said that he was grateful to know that his step brother will be her husband. Eunmi caught that expression, the same strange expression he shows quietly that she couldn’t interpret before. She wondered what’s the meaning of that look.


Eunmi is spooning her meal in anxiety. She didn’t understand why did she must be that nervous about Tao joining the family breakfast and will be talking about the marriage thing in any minute by now. She assure herself before that she would accept anything about the marriage, she even told Tao she would try to get used by his cold personality, but now she’s doubting herself. She’s not ready to be married actually, especially the future husband is Tao, the first guy who knows everything about her. She feels creepy, uncomfortable and always nervous whenever he’s around. But his gentlemen side (when in ON mode) somehow made all of that feelings vanished in a second. Never longer than seconds though, because he will back to his natural cold personality.


“Right Eunmi?” Her mother asked expectantly. Eunmi didn’t hear any conversation when she’s in her deep thoughts.


“Yes—” She answer startled, pulled back from her thoughts.


“She agree!” Mrs. Kim squeal.


“What? What did I agreed?” Eunmi asking confusely to her mother, then look at Tao who rolled his eyes at her.


“Living together with Tao,” Mrs. Kim stated happily.


Eunmi turn her head slowly, looking at Tao with shocked face. ‘How could I live in the same roof with this Mr. Ignorant?! Am I not suffered enough to be with him fortwo days?? Now living together... this must be jokes.’ She scoffed quietly by that thought.


“Look, I don’t... mean to agree for that, Mom. I was startled, and... I just said yes—”


“The first words that came out unconsciously, it’s usually a honest thing that came out from heart.” Tao speak out, giving her his trademark smirk. “We’ll living together when we’re married, anyway.” He continued, faking a sweet smile to her.


“What? We’re not married yet so living together will cause a big fuss in public if they know.”


“It won’t happen if we announce that we’ll be married.” Tao said nonchalantly.


“Oh, then why don’t we announce that already?” She replied sarcastically.


“Because I want you the one who decide the date. I don’t want to put more burden to you if the marriage date settled by the elders.” He snapped. Eunmi blink, too surprised to hear that.


Awkward silent wrapped them in a moment. She replay what was Tao said words by words in her mind, slowly. She tried to convince herself that she heard it right.


Grandfather cleared his throat to break the silent. “Listen my dear grand-child, I was planning to speak about your marriage in front of the guests last night. But this young man talk to me not to push you to do this marriage. He said he knows that this arrange marriage is already a burden to you, so he wants you to decide the date by yourself. I was touched by his understanding, Eunmi. He wants to give you time to get yourself together and do the marriage at ease, not feel pressured. That was the time I realized I’m so selfish. It’s enough for you to marry someone you barely know, and if I have to settled the date it’ll be more pressure to you. I’m really sorry Eunmi,”


Eunmi look at Tao who stay cool while sip his coffee. Now that was clear why grandfather didn’t announce anything about the marriage last night. It was because of him. It was because of Tao who persuade her grandfather not to do that. She didn’t know what he was thinking about her. She didn’t know until now that behind that cold personality, he actually cared.


‘So my guessed was not actually wrong,’


Marriage may be hard. But if she had to faced it with the one who care for her, it would not gone worst, right? He might be have personality issues, but if she wants to understand, she believe it will be alright.


“Then I’ll settled the date,” All eyes on her. Eunmi take a deep breath to assure herself that she made the right decision.


“Gonna be next week.” She exhale in frustate.

 

◈◈◈




Thank you for stay with me my lovely readers *deep bow*

I'm not supposed  to publish this chapter, but I've changed my mind. I publish this as my apology for not updating while I'm in recovery.

In case you didn't notice, I replace the 'half-brother' into 'step-brother'. And yeah, Tao had a side job besides being a CEO. Gonna reveal that later ^^

Hope you enjoy it ^^

I'm bad at grammar, forgive me :p

Feedback please? Comment Comment~ :D