Dara

Rules of Attraction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara

I Jiyong’s arm and let him squeeze my hand as we’re waiting to hear what the doctor has to say about his leg. A stoic Seunghyun also hasn’t left Jiyong’s side since we arrived at the hospital. He’s scared, and it looks like he blames himself for not preventing his younger brother from getting hurt. But it’s all finally over.

My dad found out that Jiyong’s mom and brother were threatened, so with their permission he’s arranged for them to come to Seoul. He’s also helping them get temporary housing, which is great.

“My dad says you’ll live,” I tell Jiyong as I lean forward and kiss him on his forehead.

“Is that a good thing?”

Okay, Dara, it’s time to spill it, I tell myself. It’s now or never. I lean close to him, so only he can hear me. “I . . . I think I need you, Jiyong. The forever kind of need.” I look up. Jiyong’s eyes are locked on mine. I want this, I want him. More than that, I really do need him. We need each other. The closer I get to him, the more I feed off the energy and strength radiating from him.

I can tell he wants to say something, to fill the silence like he usually does, but he holds himself back. Our eyes are still locked, and I won’t look away. Not this time.

I slowly reach out a shaky hand and touch the center of his chest over his shirt, wanting to take his pain away. He’s breathing heavier now, and I can feel his heart beating against my palm.

He cups my cheek in his hand, his thumb gently my skin. I close my eyes and lean into his touch, melting in the warmth of his hand.

“You’re dangerous,” he says.

“Why?”

“Because you make me believe in the impossible.”

After Jiyong’s surgery, my entire family is surrounding his hospital bed. There’s a knock at the door. Bom walks in tentatively.

“Thanks for calling me, Dara,” she says.


Jiyong told me to call right before his surgery, after he told me about Seunghyun and Bom breaking up. “No problem. I’m glad you’re here.”


“So am I,” Jiyong says. “But I’m on morphine, so you might want to get that in writing.” Seunghyun is about to walk out of the room, but when he reaches the door Jiyong blurts out, “Seunghyun, wait.”


Seunghyun clears his throat. “What?”


“I know I’m gonna regret sayin’ this, but you and Bom can’t break up.”


“We already did,” Seunghyun says, then looks at Bom. “Right, Bom?”
 

“Whatever you want, Seunghyun,” she says, frustrated.


“No.” He walks up to her. “You wanted to break up. Woman, don’t put the blame on me.”


“You want to keep our relationship a secret from my parents. I don’t. I want to scream to the world that we’re together.”


“He’s afraid, Bom,” Jiyong says.


“About what?”
 

Seunghyun reaches out and tucks her  hair behind her ear. “That your parents will make you realiz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter