Dara

Rules of Attraction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara

When I told my mom I was going to the homecoming dance with Jiyong, she wasn’t surprised. She said she’d take me to the mall to find a dress on Friday. It took me a while, but I finally found a long, black satin sleeveless dress. It hugs every curve in my body. It’s totally out of my comfort zone to wear something so tight and with a huge slit down the side, but when I put it on it makes me feel pretty and confident.

When I brought home the dress, I quickly snuck up to my room and hung it in my closet. I don’t want Jiyong to see it until I put it on for the dance.

Saturday morning the entire family, including Jiyong, gets up and goes to the football game.


Seoul High wins 21–13, so everyone is pumped and excited. After the game, Jiyong says he has stuff to do before the dance. I go with my mom to buy shoes.

She picks up a pair of black flats with little buckles on the sides. “How about these? They look comfy.”


I shake my head. “I’m not looking for comfy.”

I walk around the store, making sure to pass up any heels that Jiyong would consider “granny” width. I set my sights on black satin pumps with a three-and-a-half-inch skinny heel and a vintage-looking ankle clasp. They’re perfect. I don’t know if I’ll be able to walk in them, but they’ll match my dress and look good. “How about these?” I ask my mom.

Her eyes go wide. “You sure? They’ll make you taller than your father.”

My mom doesn’t own a pair of pumps with two-inch heels, let alone any that are over three inches.

“I love them,” I tell her.

“Then try them on. It’s for your special day.”

Fifteen minutes later I walk out with the shoes, excited to have found the perfect pair to go with the perfect dress. I want tonight to be perfect, too. I hope Jiyong isn’t feeling pressured, even though I pretty much coerced him into asking me. Hopefully we can have fun and forget what happened last weekend. I don’t expect us to do much dancing since he’s still healing, but that’s okay. I’ll be happy just being there with him, whether or not we’re a real couple.

“We have to pick up the boutonniere,” my mom says as we get in the car.

“I already picked it up this morning.”

“Good. I’ve got my camera ready. Dad’s got the camcorder charging . . . we’re all set. We’ll send the pictures to Jiyong’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter