Chapter Nine

I'll Whisper Love Into Your Ears (and hope that one day, you'll do the same)

"Chanyeol- let go-!" Baekhyun stumbled as Chanyeol dragged him along, shorter legs not keeping up with the younger’s longer ones as he was harshly pulled across the pathway.

Chanyeol turned around, eyes burning with fury, before returning to his previous course, not saying a word.

"'Yeol- it hurts-!" Baekhyun pulled his arm back, but to no avail. Chanyeol stopped and turned around once more, eyes softer than before- apologetic-as his hold softened, but nevertheless keeping his steel grip on Baekhyun's wrist.

He could see Chanyeol was holding back a rage that he knew he hadn’t seen before.

"What happened?" he asked, though it was clear this question wasn’t an optional answer. It was far from the soft, understanding Chanyeol that Baekhyun had come to love.

"Nothing happened."  

"Bull!" Chanyeol yelled, Baekhyun looking down, trying to avoid the attraction of the other civilians in the park that his boyfriend had managed to pull him to. Baekhyun wasn’t entirely too sure how to deal with a kind of Chanyeol that he’d never seen so angry. "Bull nothing happened and you know it! Why the is he so pissed with you?"

"Yixing tried to talk to me and I brushed him off,” Baekhyun yanked his hand out of Chanyeol’s grip, wrapping them instead protectively around his stomach as he shrunk back. “Are you happy, now?"

"There's more to it than that!"

"It doesn't matter."

Chanyeol sighed, turning around and rubbing his hand over his chin in frustration. "It ing matters, Baek."

"This is none of your business."

"None of my business?" Chanyeol yelled once more, unconsciously clenching his fists. "None of my ing business!? I thought my best friend was about to choke you, I feel like it's a bit of my business!"

"I don't want to tell you!"

"I don't care! If you don't tell me I'll just ask Joonmyun, and I don’t think that’ll help anyone!"

Baekhyun shrunk back even further. "'Yeol- people are staring-" his face paled as Chanyeol’s only seemed to get redder.

"Do you think I care, Baek? Do you think I really ing care? I'm so sick of not knowing anything!” Chanyeol’s voice was beginning to soften and break down, and his gaze went to the floor. “I feel like I don't know you anymore.”

“Chanyeol…”

“I love you, Baek. I really ing love you and I need to know what is going on with you and Yixing. Don't push me away too, please,” Chanyeol’s voice was meek, now. “What else did you say, and why won't you tell me?"

Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol looked up, his face having changed from one of anger to one of sadness. Baekhyun felt awful- he knew this had all been his fault. He’d never intended to hurt anyone, but it was clear he’d done that to the two most important people he knew.

Baekhyun softly took Chanyeol’s hand in his, grip weak, like he was expecting either of them to break. "Yeol, I'm sorry-"

"I don't want you to apologise to me," Chanyeol let his finger’s slip into the gaps between Baekhyun’s. “I just want to know what's happening. Please."

"You won’t love me anymore,” Baekhyun said softly, looked down at their feet. “You won't like me at all."

"Don't be silly," all the anger that'd been in Chanyeol's eyes had disappeared, and Baekhyun looked up shyly to meet his now concerned gaze. "Please?"

Baekhyun sighed, looking down again. He was honestly terrified to see Chanyeol's mood change. He didn’t want to hear the change in his voice, or the disgust on his face. Losing Yixing was enough, he couldn’t deal with losing Chanyeol.

"I- when we-" Baekhyun fisted the bottom of Chanyeol's shirt in his empty hand. "When we fought- he tried to explain something and I just- I- I told him that if he wasn't going to say it-" Baekhyun breathed in, the out breathe shaky. "I mean, seriously say it, that I didn't- I didn’t want to hear it."

"Baek..."

"I ed up. God, I really ed up."

"Yeah, you did,” Chanyeol’s response was blunt and it hurt to hear him say it, but there was no way he could deny it and longer. “You said the one thing that you- especially you were never meant to say. What on earth were you thinking? You can’t expect him to apologise for that.”

"I wasn't thinking. It was dumb and I shouldn't have said it- I mean, I'm happy if he's happy. if he doesn't talk for his whole life I don't care as long as he's happy but,” Baekhyun was crying, now, though he hadn’t noticed it. “I was just so frustrated and it came out wrong and I was just hoping that maybe if I didn't say anything about it it would just go back to normal but that's not happening and I've been the tiest friend and my stupid pride and-"

"Baekhyun, stop. Look at me."

Baekhyun looked up, afraid to find what he'd see. However, it was just Chanyeol, a sad smile on his face, but smiling nevertheless.

"I'm not the one you need to be explaining yourself to," Chanyeol cupped Baekhyun’s face in his hands, before softly wiping the tears that had unconsciously fell before they dropped, his arms wrapping around Baekhyun's torso, before pressing a light kiss to his forehead. It made a warmth spread through Baekhyun’s body that he hadn’t felt in many days, a warmth that filled him with some sort of hope. "So I'm going to take you to the store and you're going to buy chocolates and I'm going to drop you home, and you're going to get your apology ready, as well as all three of the High School Musical DVDs because I know you both love them. Then after school is done you're going to go over to his house and you're going to apologise and tell him how much you miss him and how much you and you’re going to give him chocolates and he’s going to forgive you because he missed you too, and then you’re going to watch Zac Efron in all his glory and it's going to be just like it always was, okay?"

"But what if Joonmyu-"

"I'll deal with him, okay?"

Baekhyun smiled, the first genuine one he'd smiled in weeks.

"Okay."

 

tumblr_inline_ms16ins6Ze1qz4rgp.png

 

From: Byun Baekhyun
Yeol.

Yeol he's going to hate me.

Yeol I'm scared.

 

To: Byun Baekhyun
You better freaking do this because do you know how ing hard it is to pull Kim Joonmyun from him on a Friday night >>.<<
I love you, okay. He does too.

 

From: Byun Baekhyun
Okay.

 

tumblr_inline_ms16ins6Ze1qz4rgp.png

 

Baekhyun shakily lifted his knuckles to the wood, before knocking on the door. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been here, and he definitely couldn't remember the last time he'd ever knocked to enter. The shock on Nai Nai's face was evident as she saw him on the other side, but it wasn't filled with hatred like he'd expected. Of course, out of Yixing’s circle he’d expected her to be the angriest, possibly more so than Joonmyun.

"Baekhyun!" she enveloped him in a bone-crushing, grandma sort of hug, "I've missed you, you haven't been over in so long! Yixing says you've been very busy," It caught Baekhyun off guard, but before he had time to ask why, he was layered on with more guilt. "He's missed you, I think."

Baekhyun grimaced, "I'm sorry, is he in his room?"

Nai Nai nodded, before noticing the flowers. "Flowers?" she cocked an eyebrow.

Baekhyun scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "I- uh- I definitely owe him some."

Nai Nai didn't seem to take the hint, but let it slide anyway. "Boy didn't tell me you were coming anyway- I'll have to cook more, now." her tone was serious, but she winked at the end, smiling. Baekhyun was always welcome in this household and it was something he was eternally grateful for.

Baekhyun nervously walked from the doorway to Yixing's room, endless thoughts of rejection swimming through his head. Did he know he was here already? Had he heard him? Was he still too mad from what had happened before? Weakly, he knocked on the doorframe of Yixing's room, the latter looking up immediately, eyes filling with shock.

Baekhyun froze on the spot, the whole apology he'd had planned gone with the wind. "You didn't tell her?" was the first thing that came to mind, and whilst not the best, it was at least a start.

Yixing bit his lip. "It wasn't something she needed to know about."

Baekhyun was hit with more guilt, the feeling piling on him. He knew he was always like family at this house, and that Yixing hadn't told the closest person to him about what he had done so she wouldn't hate him really made him feel bad. It wasn't something he deserved.

"I've been a real ."

"Yeah, you have."

Baekhyun knew it, but it didn't make the sting any less. "I'm so sorry, Xing- I just. I really missed you, and it seemed like you didn't want to be around me and I freaked out. It’s selfish but for the past ten years I've been the one you've always relied on and now you don't need me anymore-"

"Of course I need you, you're my best friend."

"But Joonmyun-"

"Is my boyfriend, yes. But you're my best friend, that's not going to change."

"Yixing..."

"I'm sorry for everything I did, Baek. I know you think that I probably ditched you for Joonmyun a lot, but know that I thought that you'd like it because it'd give you time to stop mothering over me. You should have told me."

"You don't have to apologize- I overreacted, and I- I shouldn't have said what I did.”

“It’s okay.”

“No, no it’s not okay. Stop being nice and let me finish. You know that I love you, Yixing. You’re like the brother I never had and God you mean the world to me so let me at least apologize properly for being an because it’s the least you deserve. What I said was totally out of line and I was upset and I didn’t mean it but I still shouldn’t have said it and I am so sorry that those words came out of my mouth because you don’t deserve that and I swear that I regret them more than anything else. After I said them I shouldn’t have handled it the way I did- I should have apologized straight away, but I didn’t and I’m sorry for that too," Baekhyun's eyes didn't waver from Yixing's, so intense the latter had to look down. "I didn’t want to accept I’d said them and I hoped everything would go back to normal and it was stupid and unrealistic for me to believe that it would. I’m sorry for all the hurt I caused you after. I’m sorry I didn’t talk to you. I’m sorry I brushed you off. I’m sorry that in the end I was the one who hurt you the most and went back on my word despite the fact that I’d threatened Joonmyun that I would break him if he ever hurt you. I’m sorry that I became jealous as a result of your happiness, and I’m sorry that I couldn’t see that you had good intentions all along,” Baekhyun breathed in. “I’m sorry that I probably take the role of tiest best friend in the world right now- that is if I even deserve that anymore. I’m sorry, just- for everything.”

Yixing looked up, smiling slightly. "I know, Baekhyun. I get it. It’s okay.”

Baekhyun bit his lip, urging the tears welling in his eyes to go away. However, when Yixing opened his arms, he couldn't stop the tears as almost dived on him and wrapped his arms around his body.

"I'm so sorry, Yixing. I'm sorry I'm an who doesn't know how to swallow his pride and come and apologize."

Yixing let out a breathy laugh, pulling Baekhyun tighter.

 I forgive you.

 

 

"So chocolate and flowers? Thought you could bribe me back to friendship?"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, reaching deeper into his bag, pulling out the High School Musical DVDs.

Yixing’s eyes widened, before a closed mouth smile spread across his face. "Well those have me sold."  He signed, making Baekhyun laugh, before running his finger over the cover of the second film. "Two was definitely Zac Efron's peak."

"One first, one first,” Baekhyun opened the DVD case of the first film, pulling out the CD to put in Yixing’s DVD player. “But I'm not disagreeing with you."

 

 

"THIS IS THE START, OF SOMETHING NEW. IT FEELS SO RIGHT, TO BE HERE WITH YOU!"

Yixing laughed as Baekhyun sang along to all the words in the first song in English as he pulled out his phone, taking a quick picture before opening a new message.

 "AND NOW, LOOKING IN YOUR EYES, I'VE FINALLY FOUND, THE START OF SOMETHING NEW."

 

To: Joonmyun
I'm all good with Baekhyun now :-)
He apologized for being a complete .
Now please stop trying to beat him up and get along =.=

 

Baekhyun looked over Yixing's phone as he typed. "He's totally hates me now, right?”

“As of before that text message, yes. Now, maybe. He’ll probably take a while to cool down but he’ll get there.”

“I wouldn’t blame him.” Baekhyun shrugged. “He’s a good guy, I haven’t given him enough credit for it… I was really worried when you started dating.”

Yixing raised his eyebrows. "Because I don't talk?"

Baekhyun shoved him slightly. "No, because you don’t deserve to be hurt. Especially now."

Yixing smiled, "He is good, I know he cares about me and it's nice to have someone else to- to talk with. It's nice to have more close friends. He- he said he loves me, and he makes me believe it... That wasn't something I imagined happening whilst I'm like this."

At that moment, Yixing's phone chimed.

 

From: Joonmyun
I thought so, Chanyeol was way too suspicious to function.
I'm so glad, and I’ll try not to ;) xx

 

"How do you feel about him?"

Yixing looked at the screen, almost deep in thought as Gabriella and Troy sung the final notes of the song, before smiling, a blush creeping across his cheeks.

"He makes me want to sing."

 


tumblr_inline_ms16ins6Ze1qz4rgp.png Authors Note tumblr_inline_ms16ins6Ze1qz4rgp.png

See how I can't keep up angst for long?
Also in editing I added about 700 words to this. Editing is important, guys ;)
Ily Chanyeol.

IMPORTANT NEWS!
I'm going away on Monday and not getting home until the 23rd. It is not likely that I will update before then but that isn't a guarantee.
I promise to try update as soon as I get back ^^ I will definitely update before Christmas :) 

Thank you so much for all the support from the last chapter! I was ridiculously happy with the amount of comments so yeah thank you and keep up the good work ;)
Also a big big thank you to everyone upvoting and subscribing! It means a lot ^^ 

You can check out what's going on in my life on my Twitter (say hello, and pester me to update etc), and feel free to check out my Tumblr, too (where you may also pester me to update, say hello, etc) :-)