Just a Girl (Epilogue)

Just a Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1 year later...

 

"Daddy, where's mommy?" 

Taeyeon scratched the back of his head. The three of them: he and the twins have just arrived from the cottage they rented to stay for a week. It was the twins' birthday, and they decided to have a holiday for a week to dedicate their time for the girls. Jessica would be coming a bit late since she was going straight from her working place. However, the twins couldn't wait any longer to hop play on the sea. Hence, they've asked that question for almost the hundredth time in a fifteen-minute span.

"Hold your horses girls, she'd be coming soon." Taeyeon gave a futile reassurance.

Yoona and Soojung frowned. They were all set - floaters around their shoulders; one-piece bathing suits and of course, goggles. "Daddy call her!!" the both of them cried in unison, their feet stomping in impatience.

Taeyeon could only shake his head. He had called her once, that's enough. "Wait up a bit more okay?"

Soojung glared at him and crossed her arms. Rolling her eyes, she gestured her twin sister to follow her. The two girls once again stomped their little feet on the wooden floor as they made their way towards the red and blue bean bags. They slouched down and released a loud sigh at the same time.

In defeat, Taeyeon took out his phone. He was about to call Jessica but a usual reluctant feeling at the pit of his stomach went ahead of his will, again. His thumb hovered at the call button... A year had passed and he still couldn't be used to his relationship now with his ex-girlfriend. He did say that he's not interested in her anymore and made clear that he was only doing this for the twins, but sometimes, secrets were really just meant to be secrets.

Taking a deep breath, he mustered up the courage to tap the button. However, the door suddenly opened, halting him.

Jessica came into the door, carrying a huge folder in her right hand and her laptop carrier in the other. The twins hurriedly ran towards her, both screaming in excitement. But Taeyeon watched in disdain. It was supposed to be a week off for the twins but Jessica was apparently there to do work. Calmly, he walked towards the door. Jessica stared at him and as much as Taeyeon hated doing it, he walked pass her, and went out.

"Yoongie, Soojung, c'mon," he called the twins. The girls stepped out of the house with huge grins on their faces. Taeyeon only smiled.

"Daddy we can go now right?!" They asked, exhilirated.

He nodded. "Don't go too far, alright?" he ruffled their hairs and the twins jumped, squealing in joy. "Off you go then," Taeyeon watched amusedly as the two girls rushed towards the beach. His smile, though, quickly faded as he turned to face Jessica, who was standing quietly on the foyer. 

Taeyeon let his eyes glance passed her figure and without exchanging any words, he went straight on inside the cottage. His wounds were still raw and fresh, and though people said time would heal any wounds, it seemed impossible as everytime he saw her face, the wounds just kept opening up. 

As he was about to enter his bedroom, Jessica asked, "I... I just want to ask where I should put my stuffs? There's only two rooms here..."

Taeyeon sighed. He requested for three rooms but all cottages with three rooms were already unavailable. "We could share. It's just for a week anyway, and I can just sleep on the couch."

Jessica fidgeted. "You won't mind right?"

He scoffed and entered the room, leaving the door open.

Jessica's lips curved slowly into a small smile, but once she realised this, she quickly bit her lip. She took careful strides towards the room and put her things on the floor. Taeyeon was lying down on his stomach, and Jessica seized this opportunity to stare at him. 

A full silence loomed the air. It was comfortable, at least to her, as she could look at him. 

"Don't tell me you'd be working here, Jessica." Taeyeon turned around, putting his arm above his head. His eyes looked everywhere except where Jessica was. 

Jessica looked down and her gaze casted towards the enormous pile of papers on the floor. She had been working non-stop these few weeks. "It's due tomorrow, I can't leave it." She replied, her voice apologetic.

Taeyeon stood up, groaning quietly in false frustration. He understood her, as he had gone through this before, but bitter words just went out of his mouth, "You shouldn't have gone then." He regretted it, but it just wouldn't stop. "Think of your daughters for once." He then went off, brushing his shoulder with hers. 

Jessica was left standing there, tears gradually welling around her eyes. The guilt she was carrying increased again in weight. It felt like as long as she kept forcing herself in Taeyeon's life the more the guilt keep pushing her down. She thought of leaving and let him be happy for once but the thought of leaving the twins always succeed in making her stay. 

That's why she was working hard - to provide for the twins, and not just depending on Taeyeon all the time. She knew she was a heavy and big burden for Taeyeon to carry and this way she wanted to help to volume it down. But even so, nothing was enough because she's admitted it to herself that the burden she gave Taeyeon by decieving him at the start, was a burden that was irrevocable. 

Clearing her mind with a heavy heart, she took out her laptop and forced herself to start working on a report due for tomorrow.

 

--

 

Taeyeon was playing with the sand, scooping it up and then letting it all flow down. Regrets, regrets, and unending regrets were once again invading his head. It was always like this - he hurt Jessica once and he thought of it the whole day. Even though he just ignored her, his heart felt heavy after. He was still pained and was still struggling to accept what she did to him but honestly, nothing had changed - he was still the stupid and martyr Kim Taeyeon. No matter how much she hurt her and how much she's still hurting him, he couldn't fathom the fact that he was always ready to forget everything and welcome her back in his arms. He wanted it to change, and that's why he was trying his very best to make her feel like he did not like her presence at all - he wanted her to feel and experience the hurt and misery he had gone through because of her, but it was so hard for him to do.Especially when he always sees Jessica's eyes conveying unsaid apologies and guilt, he just wanted tohug her and say that that everything was all right. He closed his eyes for a moment. He didn't know what to do. It wasn't his will to hurt Jessica but he also didn't want to appear as a a weak guy locked in an old unrequited love. He loved Jessica so much that even when he wanted to punish her, he was struggling, as it seemed that he was killing two birds with one stone using his own hands.

He stood up and glanced at his wristwatch. It was six in the evening and the sun would be setting soon. He sighed, hoping his breath would carry out his problems and vanish into oblivion.

Yoona and Soojung were splashing water at each other when they saw their dad walking towards them. Giving each other knowing looks, the both of them ran to their dad and hugged him with their soaking bodies. 

Taeyeon grunted. He should've known this was coming. "I told you guys I won't go into the water..." he sighed. What's the use of what he said now? He was already wet.

The twins giggled and took both of his hands. Taeyeon just laughed as the girls dragged him into the sea. The both of them ganged up on him and splashed him continuously with water until he was completely soaked. Taeyeon was telling them to stop but the twins were having so much fun teasing their dad.

Soojung chuckled loudly as she watched her dad running away. "Yoongie!" She shouted, and Yoona responded with a salute. With a quick glance at each other, they left their dad alone and raced to their cottage. 

Meanwhile Taeyeon, thinking that the twins would chase him, continued running only to be puzzled when he noticed that the water behind him was peaceful. His frown painted panic and worry as he wondered where the two girls had gone. Thinking of the worst scenarios, Taeyeon's heart palpitated fast against his chest, and the next thing he knew was that he was running like crazy towards the cottage. 

"Yoongie! Soojung!" He shouted. 

As he was about to reach the cottage, he finally saw Yoona and Soojung. He exhaled as a huge relief washed over him. For a second he thought he might have lost his precious twins, and for that short amount of time he knew for himself that he could never lose them. Taeyeon effaced the small bit of tear that almost fell out from his eyes. He then strolled towards them, but he quickly halted when he saw Soojung dragging Jessica by hand and Yoona pushing her from behind. He smirked. 

"Mommy c'moooooon!!" Soojung whined as her mother refused to walk. 

"I told you mommy has work, baby." 

"But daddy said it's family time! No work mommy!" Soojung countered while Yoona only watched on the side. She knew better not to infuriate her sister more as she wouldn't stop throwing tantrums again.

However, even Jessica had an idea of what Soojung was like, she had no choice but to finish off her report. "Baby, we have a week to spend. It's only our first day." Soojung defiantly shook her head and tried to drag her again. But Jessica stood still. "We'll play tomorrow, how's that?"

Soojung pouted and was about to walk away when she noticed her dad watching at the side. Looking at her dad as a new hope, she quickly dashed towards him and hugged his waist. Taeyon picked her up and carried her. "What's wrong, princess Soojung?" He cooed.

The young girl nestled her face on his neck before she leaned in to whisper, "Daddy, tell mommy no work today." 

Taeyeon heaved a sigh as he tucked strands of her frizzy hair behind her ear. "I can't -"

Just then Soojung climbed down from him and began crying. As if on cue, Taeyeon automatically crouched down and gave in to her request. Soojung's cries ceased and hand in hand the father and daughter walked inside the cottage. What Taeyeon saw was quite amusing, as Yoona calmly persuaded Jessica to come to the beach. While Soojung used crying as her weapon, Yoona was more logical and composed and attempted getting what she wanted from talking. 

Taeyeon let go of Soojung's hand and gestured the twins to go out. Jessica stared at him pleadingly. 

"Just... comply to what they want." He simply said, putting his hands inside his pocket.

"Taeyeon, look, I really can't concentrate. I need to finish this off. Please."

Taeyeon's eyes twitched as he reluctantly said, "Fifteen minutes. Just give them fifteen minutes."

Jessica stood up and faced him. "I need to work." 

"I know you do. Just... give up fifteen minutes."

Jessica bit her lip and shook her head lightly. "I'm really sorry but I can't, Taeyeon."

Taeyeon was starting to get annoyed. He looked at Jessica, finally. "I don't understand why you need to work, Jessica. My wage is enough to keep our boat afloat. I told you to just take care of the twins while I'm working." He tried to say in the least offensive way as possible.

Jessica scowled and turned back. "I want to provide for the twins too, Taeyeon. I don't want to increase the burden I'm bringing you even more. I..." Jessica gasped for breath. Tears began flowing out from her eyes and she found it hard to say the words at the tip of her tongue. "I... feel so guilty for e-everything..."

Taeyeon gazed at her back and fought the urge to embrace her. His heart broke into pieces seeing her like this. And before he could even do something that could break the barrier between them, he just left silently. 

 

--

 

It was past midnight when Taeyeon woke up. He was up all night, pretending to sleep, waiting for Jessica to come in, but he fell into a quick nap while at it. He looked at the side of the bed but saw the part of the bedsheet still clean and tidy. He then turned to the couch at the right but also saw no one. Sighing, he stood up and with chary steps, he opened the door quietly and peeked outside to the living room. There he saw Jessica sleeping in front of her laptop. He grimaced. She was so stubborn. Taeyeon went outside and walked towards her. 

He watched her in her peaceful and calm state. He watched her freely, without the fear of getting caught. He touched her head gently as he reminisced the times in high school when Jessica always fell asleep at the back of the class. She never changed at all. The thought rendered him to realease a small smile.Taeyeon was about to wake her up but went against it immediately as he realised that she might know what he genuinely felt for her when she saw him in that state. Instead, he bent down and as careful and as gentle as he could, he scooped her up into his arms. Jessica, still sleeping,wrapped her arms around his neck and put her head on his shoulder. 

Taeyeon's heart began thudding so fast, he couldn't move, afraid that Jessica would feel it and wake up. However, after a minute of observing, Taeyeon eventually began walking again. He kicked the door open and put Jessica down on the bed. He smiled as he watched her sleeping. He then went around the other side of the bed and laid down. He hugged her from behind and took his time to enjoy her warmth... because he knew that as soon as she wakes up, he could never do it again.

Unbeknownst to him was Jessica's pair of widened eyes.

She was just resting her eyes for a bit when she noticed Taeyeon's bedroom door being opened. She didn't want to face Taeyeon and recieved another cold treatment so she just remained motionless, eyes closed. Her heart began beating loudly when she felt Taeyeon's hand carressing her head. She almost wanted to cry, but she knew she would be caught. She kept in all of her emotions, thinking that he would go back to sleep soon. However, she felt herself levitating from her seat. It didn't take long when she realised she was being lifted. Memories and emotions flooded in her heart and even though she kept resisting her desire to hold him, she gave in to the temptation and hugged him. This was the only way to be close to him, as she knew she wasn't able to be in his arms again as soon as she opened her eyes.

Taeyeon put her down and she alsmost sighed in relief. Her heartbeat was still racing but it's eventually beginning to settle down. But suddenly, she felt a familiar pair of arms going around her body, embracing her. Jessica immediately covered with her hand as the tears she tried hard to fight back just flowed out constantly. She missed him. She missed him so much. 

Cautiuosly turning around, Jessica faced Taeyeon. It was the first time in one year that she was able to look at Taeyeon very closely. Her fingers ghosted over his facial features and stopped when they reached his lips. She traced his lip-lines and just admired him. While doing this, Jessica began to wonder how she could hurt and torment Taeyeon like what she did. She knew Taeyeon loved her, she loved him, too, but she was afraid to get judged by other people. She chose to be seen as the perfect girl, and she thought Taeyeon as a flaw to that. She hid him by hurting him - and Jessica regretted all that with all her heart... because right now, Taeyeon and the twins were her only priorities. It may seem stupid of her to do this now when damaged had been done, but she was determined and ready to do everything for Taeyeon to forgive her.

Staring once more at his face, she slowly and quietly leaned in to kiss his lips. "I love you, Taengoo, and I miss you," she whispered, before giving up to sleep inside his warm embrace, and letting the last tear to drop on his shirt.

 

--

 

Constant knocks began resonating in the corners of the room. Being a light-sleeper, Taeyeon's eyes slowly flew open. A familiar smell was the first thing he noticed, except the loud banging on the door. Rubbing the sleepiness off his eyes, he looked at his right and saw Jessica sleeping soundly beside him. He let out a small gasp but that small gasp immediately turned to his whole mind and heart going upside down. His legs and Jessica's legs were entangled and moreover, she was hugging him really tight with her head comfortably lying on his chest. 

Taeyeon wanted to get out right away but Jessica was locking him in place. ", . What the ." He mumbled, cursing himself internally. He was just supposed to give Jessica a hug last night and go to the couch to sleep, but damn, he fell asleep right next to her! 

The continuous knocks on the door woke Taeyeon up from his train of thoughts. He gave Jessica a quick glance before gently lifting her leg up from his. She squirmed, and Taeyeon felt time froze as nervousness quickly rushed in. However, after just a second, she stayed still again and Taeyeon breathed loudly in relief. 

He stood up and decided to attend to the door even before they would wake Jessica up. He groggily pulled the door open. 

"Daddy, Mommy!" The twins exclaimed, barging inside the room. Taeyeon only watched the twins in defeat as they hurriedly climbed up the bed and began bouncing on the mattress. Taeyeon wanted to stop them from disturbing Jessica but he was far too late as she already opened her eyes. 

"Mommy! Daddy! You said it's bonding time today!" Soojung hollered, sill bouncing on the bed. She gave her twin sister a look and as if they've planned something beforehand, Yoona giggled and pointed at him and Jessica with her two index fingers. 

"And nu-uh! No work today!" 

Taeyeon sighed and looke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter