Just a Girl (Part 3)

Just a Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Soojung, Yoongie, time to wake up," Taeyeon tried for the nth time. If he wasn't mistaken, it has already been half an hour ever since he started waking the twins up. He was already losing his patience and for the hundredth time, he literally wanted Mrs. Gong to be back. It's not that he did not want to take care of the twins, he just found it hard and tiring, especially he was not a man with metres of patience.

 

It was the day when Jessica was supposed to visit them. He was very apprehensive. He nad no idea of what would happen - the only thing he was sure of was that it's the d-day when his girls would finally meet their mum.

 

He stared at Yoona and Soojung who were still fast asleep. He studied their facial features and for some reason, he started comparing their faces to his - asking himself if they have any features that were the same as him. It might be because as soon as their physical appearance became more distinctive, all he heard from his family was that they looked like Jessica. Though he mostly shrugged it off, it was inevitable for it not to bug him.

 

"Daddy?" Taeyeon looked at his right and saw Yoona groggily sitting up, rubbing her eyes. He smiled at her and patted her head. 

 

"Did you sleep well?" 

 

Yoona shook her head, rendering a soft scoff to go out of Taeyon's mouth. "Daddy, I dreamt I was Queen Elsa..." Yoona then scowled. "But then a monster that looks like Soojung went inside my castle and took the bathrobe from me," Yoona rubbed her eyes once more, "And then she said she's Queen Elsa... She's so rude, daddy." 

 

Taeyeon released a quiet chortle and kissed Yoona's forehead. "Why don't you just share the bathrobe so that you could be both Queen Elsa?"

 

Yoona whined loudly that it almost sounded like a defiant grunt. "Dad, it's not like that. Queen Elsa is one, Anna is one. Yoona is Elsa so Soojung is Anna. There can't be two Elsa and no Anna..." She blatantly reasoned, using her dainty fingers to explain the numbers and how one could not be two.

 

In defeat, Taeyeon just sighed. "Alright but I don't want to hear you two fighting over this okay?"

 

Yoona pouted. "Okay, but daddy it's secret okay?"

Taeyeon stood up and nodded. "Wake Soojung up and quickly wash up. We would have a guest in later so make sure you both look really pretty, okay?"

Yoona tilted her head but acquiesced anyway. "Who is it daddy?"

"Eyy, it's a secret." Taeyeon mischievously smiled before he went out of the room to prepare himself - mentally, emotionally and physically. There would be a big storm later and though he kept preparing, it seemed as if nothing was enough for him to face everything.

 

--

 

12:10. It was past noon. Taeyeon was going back and forth in the house; walking in circles at every floor for the tenth time only to check if there's any dirt left. But actually, it's not the reason, nerves were just getting the better of him that he needed to do something to drift away his emotions and attention. He went back down to the dining area and saw the the two girls having their lunch with one seat apart.

Trying to act calm, Taeyeon held on to his trembling hand and approached the girls. As expected, the tension in the dining seemed to be much more of the tension he was feeling in his own body. Soojung had a scary gaze pointed at her sister while Yoona just went on eating, however with loud clanking of steel utensils hitting the platter.

"You two," Taeyeon started, but none of the girls even bothered to spare him a glance. "Are you two fighting? What's wrong?" Again, nobody answered. Taeyeon cleared his throat and sat himself in between them. "I'm not living with ghosts, am I?" Looking left and right, none of them bat their eyelashes. "Hello? I know you two are here, talk to me ghosts!" He exclaimed in frustration.

"Daddy, you're so noisy." Soojung blurted out before stomping her way up to their room. Taeyeon gaped in shock, but not a minute later, Yoona went running up upstairs, leaving him more astounded.

Taeyeon closed his mouth and shook his head. "They're just six-year-olds yet they act like they're going through puberty already."

Bang!

A loud slam of the door was heard, causing Taeyeon to only shake his head and finally go up to settle the matter.

"Stop it Soojung, okay, you're Elsa! Stop crying so loudly!" 

As soon as Taeyeon stepped a foot on the second floor, he was immediately greeted with an ear-splitting cry. He opened the door of the twins' room and saw Yoona trying to calm down Soojung who was lashing out bloody hell. 

Yoona saw him and she quickly ran towards her daddy. She hugged his torso, and Taeyeon realised that she was shaking. "Daddy, Soojung is so scary..." she cried.

Taeyeon hugged her back and knelt down to her level. He kissed her forehead and said, "Shh, stop crying alright? Soojung is just angry, so Daddy will calm her down okay? Go out first, Yoongie." The child nodded her head obediently and silently went out the room, glancing shortly at her crying sister.

 

--

 

2:34. The house was quiet and peaceful. The twins made up and were finally playing with each other again. Taeyeon watched in amusement as Yoona's face was obviously saying she was not agreeing to whatever her twin sisters was blabbing about, yet she was still nodding her head. 

Smiling, Taeyeon leaned down on the couch. It seemed as though the peace and quiet helped him calm down as well. He stared at the ceiling, tapping his foot on the floor with the rhythm he just made up inside his mind. 

However, when Taeyeon thought he was already fine, his heart beat once again skyrocketed in pace. The doorbell was ringing...

"Dad," Yoona called and pointed at the main door. 

Taeyeon looked at the twins first before standing up. He walked with cautious and heavy steps towards the door - it still all felt surreal, it felt like he was trudging on a sticky and thick mud.

As he reached the door, he grabbed hold of the doorknob, reluctant to open it and be welcomed into another nightmare. All thoughts - excuses began to cloud his mind. No, don't open. He kept saying like a mantra. But as if there was a devil and an angel on both of his shoulders, dictating him of what he should do, he was utterly confused. The devil said no but the angel said yes. It's for the better it said, but the devil was in contrast, whispering dauntingly that he was stupid for even thinking of opening the door. But who should he comply with? Was it the right choice to let Jessica in his life... and the twins' lives once again? Has she had already done enough not to come back? But... he still loved her. Was that a reason enough?

Clearing his head, Taeyeon groaned in exasperation. It was so damned hard. 

"Daddy would you open the door?!" Soojung whined.

Taeyeon bit his lip and twisted the doorknob, pulling the door open. He remained standing, frozen as Jessica stood outside, eyes puffy and hands shaking. The wind blew quite violently, but time seemed to halt as he only stared at Jessica's eyes - those brown eyes that pleaded him before, that showed love for him before. But now... those eyes only conveyed sadness and misery. Suddenly he wondered, were the both of them in the sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter