Chapter 6

My Sweet Cakes

Yoona thought she was early. But she was surprised when she saw Taeyeon was sweeping the front of the bakery. Yoona stared at her before looking at her watch. Taeyeon noticed her.

“Morning Yoona!”

“Which wind blows you today?”

“What?”

“You’re early.”

“What are you talking about? You’ve always asked me to come work early.”

“The sun hasn’t risen yet. You would still be snoring right now.”

Taeyeon grinned.

“I’m in a good mood.”

“I can see that. Why is that?”

“I’ve found a new love.”

Yoona rolled her eyes.

“Unnie, you’re kidding me right?”

“I’m not! I found her at a restaurant. I’m so glad the restaurant was packed. God led me to her.”

“Seriously, you think this is the one for you?”

“I said I’ve found a new love. I didn’t say I found a wife.”

“Oh my god. Unnie, stop breaking girls’ hearts!”

“Oh come on, who knows I might fall in love with this one?”

“I just hope you will. You’ve been playing with so many girls. Be careful of karma.”

Yoona smacked Taeyeon’s forehead before making her way to the kitchen. She put her bag away and wore her apron. She was determined not to be muddled with her love issues. There have been many orders lately. So she was quick to start baking and Taeyeon didn’t even come in to disturb her.

Two hours later, Yoona started to feel weary. But luckily she had finished most of the orders. Those orders left were meant for tomorrow. She can do them later on. She decided to take a break so she took out her apron. She looked up at the clock on the wall and realized it was already close to noon. No wonder her stomach grumbled.

Just then, she heard a door bell. Someone was entering the bakery. She went out from the kitchen. She wasn’t surprised to find Tiffany. She would always come at this hour to get some pastries on the go. But it was a little different this time. Someone else was really excited at her arrival.

“TIFFANY!”

Tiffany snapped her neck to the right. She was surprised to find Taeyeon waving excitedly at her.

“Taeyeon?”

“Yes! What are you doing here?”

“I’m always here to buy some pastries.”

“Oh? How come I didn’t see you before?”

“You weren’t around either the last few times. I didn’t see you around.”

“Damn it. I missed you for a couple of times?!”

“Why are you so hyper?”

“I’m so glad to meet you again!”

“That’s nice.”

“So which pastries do you want to buy? It’s on the house.”

But before Tiffany could answer and before Taeyeon can unleash her Casanova moves, Yoona had already placed a box of pastries and bread on the counter. Both Tiffany and Taeyeon stared at the box before looking up to find Yoona nodding her head.

“She’s our regular customer. So I know what she likes to eat. It’s on the house.”

Taeyeon could only look on but Tiffany gave her sweetest eye smile at Yoona. Yoona blushed slightly.

“You’re so attentive. But I have to pay this time. The last time I was here, you gave me for free.”

“It’s okay. Are you going to work again?”

“Yeah.”

Yoona looked at the time and then turned to Taeyeon.

“Can you watch over the bakery for an hour?”

“Sure. Hyoyeon’s coming soon. Why ask?”

“I’m going out for lunch with Tiffany. I’ll be back in an hour’s time.”

Taeyeon was surprised; Tiffany was equally taken aback. But Yoona didn’t say anything. She just grabbed her wallet and pulled Tiffany along with her.

“We’ll just go nearby. I need to bake more cakes later.”

“Oh sure.”

“Let’s go then. Taeyeon unnie, I’ll buy you lunch later.”

Yoona didn’t wait for Taeyeon to reply; she and Tiffany were already out of the bakery.

-

Yuri was pouting her lips. She had just finished with her deliveries and now she was sitting alone in the van. She was a little frustrated. She couldn’t figure out why. Today she didn’t ride her bike. She was supposed to help Soo Young with the supplies later on.

“Kwon Yuri, can you stop daydreaming?”

Soo Young appeared in front of her. Yuri rolled her eyes at her before helping her with the trays of eggs.

“Why can’t you just ask them to deliver?”

“And waste $50?”

“Oh come on, we’re doing a business. We cannot be so stingy.”

“I like the satisfaction of picking up our supplies. At least I can see for myself if the supplies are in good quality.”

“You just broke 10 trays of eggs yesterday. That’s a total of 300 eggs.”

“Shut up. Talking about that, I haven’t called that vixen for compensation.”

Yuri rolled her eyes again.

“You know, she might be having troubles or something. She must be in deep thoughts not to realize your van coming right at her.”

“I don’t care. I’m going to get my compensation back.”

“You’re such a moron sometimes.”

“Hurry up, we have to get the flour next.”

Yuri groaned before she close the van’s back door. She went to the driver side and Soo Young was already on the phone. She was holding a name card on her right hand. Yuri drove off without asking. Soo Young was waiting patiently for the person to answer.

“Hello, is this Miss Jung? This is Choi Soo Young. We met under an unfortunate circumstance yesterday.”

Yuri snorted. Soo Young glared at her.

“Ah, you remember? Yes, this is about the compensation.”

Yuri couldn’t believe her boss was such a jerk sometimes.

“Oh? You want me to come over to your office now?”

Yuri turned to look at her and shook her head vehemently.

“Sure, I’ll be at your office in 15 minutes time.”

Soo Young hung up and Yuri was already shooting bullets at her.

“Are you kidding me? We don’t have time to go to her office. I need to pick up your floor and return to our shop. Yoona has many orders to be delivered today.”

“It’s just for 5 minutes. She said she will prepare the cheque.”

“What?”

“I emailed her the amount yesterday.”

“You’re seriously a miser.”

“I’m not. She was the one who offered to pay for the damages.”

“Hopeless.”

“Shut up and drive. I’ve already keyed in the address in the GPS.”

Yuri just drove without saying anything.

-

Yoona and Tiffany were having lunch together. Tiffany was staring at Yoona most of the time; Yoona was as cool as a cucumber. She didn’t say much.

“Why? Is there something on your face?”

“No, it’s nothing. I just love seeing your face.”

“Why is that so?”

“You’re so damn beautiful. Don’t you realize it?”

Yoona blushed again and this time Tiffany came closer towards her. Her eyes have never left Yoona’s face.

“Why the sudden invitation for lunch?”

“You’ve not been eating right.”

“What?”

“You hardly eat lunch, right? You’re on the move all the time so bread is the better choice.”

“How did you know?”

“Of course I do. So today, let’s have a good lunch so that you can have more strength and balance your diet well.”

Tiffany’s heart was warm. She never knew how attentive Yoona could be. She has never told Yoona anything but that girl was observant. She was touched.

“So you’re eating with me because you worry about me?”

Yoona looked up; she didn’t say anything but simply nodded. And her cheeks were flushed red.

“You do care about me.”

“Of course I do.”

“Are you putting in some effort now?”

Yoona stared at Tiffany. Tiffany was hopeful.

“Maybe, is it bad?”

“No, not at all! It’s good. I like it.”

“Give me some time.”

“Of course! I’ll wait.”

Yoona smiled widely.

-

Yuri was dragged by Soo Young. She initially wanted to wait in the van but Soo Young was pulling her along with her.

“Oh my god, why must I be here with you?”

“You need fresh air.”

“Whatever for?”

“You’re brooding all the time. Did someone offend you lately?”

Yuri sighed.

“It’s more like I’ve offended someone.”

“Ah, that girl who dumped the cake on your face?”

“You weren’t there.”

“Tongues are always wagging.”

“Stupid midgets.”

Soo Young laughed. They were in the lift when it was slowly reaching to the highest level in the building. Yuri was awed while Soo Young was a little annoyed. Her ears were hurting because of the altitude.

“Is this lady awesome what? Her office is at the 60th level.”

“I’m having problems with my ears.”

“You have a lot of problems with yourself, Soo Young.”

“Ah, shut up. Now where’s her office?”

Fortunately, there was only one office on that level.  Soo Young walked in first, followed by Yuri. The receptionist was already anticipating them.

“You’re Miss Choi?”

“Ah, yes.”

“This is the cheque left by Miss Jung.”

“Oh, she’s not here?”

“She’s in a meeting right now. She cannot meet you. She would like to apologize.”

“It’s okay.”

“Can you check if the amount is correct?”

Yuri was surprised when Soo Young shook her head. She would usually check to ensure she was paid correctly.

“It’s alright. Then send my regards to her.”

“Sure do, Miss Choi.”

They were about to leave the office when someone walked towards the receptionist with a file in her hands. Soo Young and Yuri were already facing the front entrance when they heard a familiar voice.

“Nicole, can you complete this report by tomorrow afternoon? I need them for my meeting in China on the weekend.”

“Yes Miss Jung. Miss Jung, Miss Choi has collected her cheque.”

“Oh?”

Soo Young turned first, followed by Yuri. Miss Jung was readily smiling at Soo Young but the smile disappeared when she saw someone who broke her heart.

“Miss Jung!”

“Jessica..?”

“What are you doing here, Kwon Yuri?”

Soo Young was surprised when she realized Jessica and Yuri knew each other. She suddenly put the pieces together.

“Wait, Kwon Yuri. Is she the one who dumped the cake on your face?”

Yuri didn’t get to answer as Jessica cut in. She was furious as she spoke.

“No, I’m not. I’m the girl who Kwon Yuri dumped.”

Soo Young was stunned and Yuri was dumbfounded.

“I’m busy. Please leave.”

Jessica left the two ladies bewildered and went back inside.

-