Chapter 1

My Sweet Cakes

Yoona stood in front of her oven as she peered through the glass window; her cakes were baking beautifully. She smiled widely as she pulled back the oven door. The aroma soon filled her kitchen and she heard steps running through the front door.

“Here we go.”

She rolled her eyes.

“YOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~”

 Three heads popped into the kitchen. There were bright smiles on their faces. Yoona stared at them.

“These are for my customers.”

“We just need one piece!”

“There are three of you. Each piece for you means I have to let go three pieces.”

“Oh come on, are you that stingy?”

Yoona rolled her eyes. Nevertheless, she put out three pieces out and gave to the intruders.

“THANKS!”

“Wait, if all 3 of you are inside here, who’s minding outside?”

The intruders quickly ran out of the door with their cakes and Yoona was shaking her head. The intruders are her ex school mates and also her best friends. They grew up together since kindergarten. Yoona’s good with baking so they decided to start a bakery together.

The eldest of the trio studied accountancy in the university. She’s brilliant with numbers. Kim Taeyeon is a year older than Yoona. She naturally took care of their accounts. The other was Kim Hyoyeon. She’s the funny kid and she’s really good with relations with others. She’s an ultimate ice-breaker so she mingles with the patrons of the bakery often. They made her the salesgirl; and Hyoyeon did a good job with that. Many of the patrons returned to the bakery; bringing new customers as she’s really good with the sales and Yoona’s baking is excellent. Lastly, Choi Soo Young is the management head. She was the one who took out the capital to set up this business so they made her the director. She handles most of the management which included discussing terms with the suppliers; landlord and many other management needs.

So the four friends set up the bakery; and had done well for the last two years. Yoona had a lot of orders ever since Hyoyeon managed to get their shop to be featured in a food show on the television. People from all over the Korea came to their bakery. Their business boomed really quickly.

Yoona was putting the freshly baked cakes into their boxes. She was supposed to deliver them but she had pending orders to make. So she got her cousin to go on her behalf. Kwon Yuri is Yoona’s cousin on her mother’s side. Yoona took her in as their delivery girl.

“Yuri unnie, I cannot go with you this time.”

“It’s okay. I’ll send.”

“But Soo Young unnie’s driving the van. She said she needs to buy something.”

“I have my bike.”

“You saved up all money just to buy a bike?”

“You know my dream, don’t you?”

Yoona stared at her.

“You want to be a professional dirt bike rider?”

“Yeah, I bought a scrambler!”

Yuri proudly pointed to her new bike that was just outside their shop. Yoona was staring at the bike before hitting the back of Yuri’s head.

“OW!”

“That bike is taller than you!”

“Oh come on! You know I’m a careful driver.”

“The cakes will be destroyed by the time they reach the owner.”

“It won’t! I promise!”

“Can I trust you?”

“Please do!”

“Sheesh, fine! But if the client complains, you’re paying for the damages.”

“Yes Madam!”

Yoona rolled her eyes as Yuri took the boxes of cakes from the counter. If not for her pending orders, Yoona would have gone herself. She heard the loud scrambler roared to life and Yuri was screaming “WOO HOO!” Soon, Yoona heard the loud vroom and Yuri was off.

“Dear God, please save my cakes first then Yuri unnie.”

Yoona was being sarcastic but she was really sincere about Yuri’s safety. She decided to give her the benefit of doubt. Yoona soon went on to do her next orders but not for long, she heard a bell ringing at the front counter. She was frowning away.

“Hyoyeon unnie! There’s someone!”

But the bell started ringing non-stop and Yoona had to stop whatever she was doing. She went out from her kitchen and saw a lady standing at the counter. She quickly scanned around the shop; nobody was in sight.

“Where the hell did everyone go?”

She mumbled to herself but nevertheless approached the lady with a warm smile.

“Can I help you?”

“I heard this place has the best cakes.”

“Yes we do.”

“Okay, then can I order my wedding cake from here?”

“Oh.”

Yoona has never attempted to do a wedding cake before so she hesitated.

“Do you do wedding cakes?”

“Well, we do more of birthday cakes or engagement cakes but not wedding cakes. Maybe you should approach a wedding cake specialist for that.”

“Ah, you’re mistaken. It’s not for my wedding. It’s a “wedding cake” for my dogs.”

Yoona stared blankly at the strange lady in front of her.

“Wedding cake for dogs?”

“Yeah, I know I’m weird but this wedding cake is for my guests.”

“Your guests are dogs too?”

Yoona bit her lower lip. It sounded wrong; and rude at the same time but the lady didn’t seem to mind. She gave her sweetest eye smile and shook her head.

“Nah, my friends are coming over as well. So they are for human consumption.”

“Ah, okay. Sure, when do you need it?”

“Actually I’m having the party tonight.”

“What?”

“If you cannot do it, it’s okay.”

“What time is your party?”

“8pm.”

“Oh, I think I can squeeze your cake in for today.”

The lady’s facial expression was really bright. She was taken aback but couldn’t hide her happiness. She squealed in delight.

“REALLY!?”

Yoona nodded.

“Oh my god! You’re the best! Thank you!”

Yoona smiled and took out a form order.

“You can fill in the details here and pay the deposit. How many kilograms do you want?”

“The smallest cake will do.”

“1kg?”

“The standard size?”

“Yes, it is.”

“That’ll be great.”

“Okay, you can fill in the details.”

The lady dutifully filled in the details and even her particulars. She returned the order form to Yoona.

“Miss Hwang?”

“Just call me Tiffany.”

“Oh okay, Tiffany. We’ll send the cake to you. Free delivery.”

“Ah, awesome! Make sure you come tonight!”

“Huh?”

“You’re invited.”

“Oh, we’ll see.”

“Thanks...”

The lady stopped.

“Wait, I don’t get your name.”

“Yoona.”

“Oh okay, thanks Yoona.”

Yoona smiled.

-

“IM YOONA! I’M NOT GOING TO SEND CAKES TO THIS ADDRESS ANYMORE!”

Yuri was screaming before coming into the kitchen. Yoona looked up.

“Why? What happened?”

“The girl is atrocious!”

“Hey, watch it. That’s our customer.”

“Are you serious? How could you tolerate her?”

“What happened?”

Yuri took out her helmet and dumped on the counter. Hyoyeon was busy refilling bread and pastries onto the empty display shelves. Yuri refused to help her. She was really furious.

“Did you do something?”

“No! I took care of your cakes.”

“Then why are you so furious?”

“SHE ACCUSED ME OF BEING A ERT!”

Yoona stared at her cousin; waiting for a longer explanation.

“What?”

“What the hell did you do?”

“It wasn’t my fault! She didn’t answer the door!”

“Kwon Yuri, what the hell did you do?!”

“The door was unlocked so I quietly got in. I saw from the invoice that she has already paid for the cakes so I thought of just putting them down on the table and wrote a note but no, your client was when she got out from her room.”

Yoona’s eyes grew larger.

“YA!”

“I TOLD YOU IT WAS NOT MY FAULT!”

“YOU GOT INTO HER APARTMENT WITHOUT PROPER PERMISSION!”

“SHE WAS LATE! SHE JUST COULDN’T EVEN WEAR A TOWEL!”

“THAT’S HER APARTMENT!”

“WELL, I’M TRAUMATIZED TOO! SHE’S AND HAS THE SAME STUFF AS ME! WHY IS SHE ACCUSING ME OF A ERT?”

“I WOULD IF SOMEBODY JUST TRANSPASSES MY APARTMENT LIKE THAT! SHE MUST HAVE BEEN EMBARRASSED!”

“I WAS TOO! SHE WASN’T THE ONLY ONE!”

“GOD, KWON YURI! YOU’RE GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF ME!”

“I’M ALREADY DEAD! MY EYES ARE VIOLATED!”

-

Yuri decided to leave the shop for awhile. She was still too swarmed and upset about the delivery. The rest of the girls got to learn about it and they didn’t help by teasing her. So Yoona gave her the permission to take a breather and she did.

The moment Yuri’s bike rode off; a BMW came to stop at where Yuri’s bike was. The owner of the car got out immediately and went into the shop with hurried steps. She was a little annoyed and furious about what just transpired earlier on in her house. Taeyeon was at the reception.

“Can I help you, Miss?”

“Where’s your delivery ert?”

“Huh?”

“I’m looking for that girl who delivered my cakes earlier on!”

“Oh, I’ll get her.”

Taeyeon quickly skipped into the kitchen but Yuri was nowhere to be found. So she got the next best person – Im Yoona.

“What are you doing?”

“I need you.”

“Taeyeon unnie, how many times must I tell you? I’m not interested in sleeping with you.”

“I’m not asking you for that! And please don’t keep rejecting me like that! It hurts!”

Yoona rolled her eyes.

“Then why are you dragging me away from my kitchen for?”

“Your client is furious with Yuri.”

Yoona rolled her eyes.

“It’s the lady whom Yuri violated her with her eyes.”

“She’s here?”

“Yes, she’s demanding to see Yuri.”

Yoona took a quick peep through the door and saw a lady who was staring blankly at the kitchen door. Yoona quickly closed the door again.

“She looks furious.”

“What the hell did your cousin do to her?”

“How would I know? I’ll handle this. You finish up the cupcakes at the back. And look out for the cakes in the oven. We have more delivery tonight.”

“Okay.”

Taeyeon gladly left Yoona to face the demanding client. Yoona took off her apron and threw it at Taeyeon. That apron hit Taeyeon flat in the face.

“YA!”

Yoona stuck her tongue out before turning her attention to the door. She took a deep breath and got out from the kitchen. The lady snapped her neck quickly and frowned.

“You’re not her.”

“I know but she’s my worker. I would like to apologize.”

“So you knew about her ert ways?”

“I believe it’s a misunderstanding. I mean, she didn’t mean to enter your apartment without permission.”

“I can charge her, you know?”

“I know.”

“And I can sue your bakery shop for this too.”

“You don’t have to do that. I know she has done a huge mistake but do forgive her. She was in the hurry to deliver other cakes.”

“Where is she? Why isn’t she apologizing to me personally?”

“She’s not in at the moment. She’s out.”

“You’re her boss?”

“I’m her cousin actually but I own this bakery.”

“Your cakes are really superb but you have to do something about your workers especially that delivery git.”

“WHO ARE YOU CALLING A GIT?!”

Yoona slapped her forehead when she saw Yuri furiously rushing in.

“There you are.”

“What the hell are you doing here? You humiliated me in front of your neighbours just now and now you’re here to do the same?”

“You deserve it. You entered without my permission!”

“You were taking so long to answer me. I have many other places to go to. And who asked you not to lock your door?”

“Huh? It wasn’t locked?”

“No! If it’s locked, how the hell did I get in?”

“I thought you took a key underneath my flower pot.”

Yuri was deadpan.

“Are you seriously stupid? How am I supposed to know that you hide your key underneath a flower pot? You’re not supposed to do that in the first place!”

“My sister often returns home late at night and disappeared early in the morning. We didn’t really have much to talk about but she’s avoiding me like plague.”

“Who wouldn’t? You’re such an unpleasant woman ever.”

The lady kept quiet. She didn’t retaliate anymore. Yuri bit her tongue. She didn’t mean to say it but she was too furious. The lady humiliated her earlier on.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have humiliated you. I’m here to apologize about that.”

“What?”

“It’s on impulse. I love gloating over someone’s bad luck.”

“You’re pure evil.”

“You’re cute.”

“Excuse me?”

“You’re so gorgeous and cute. I like you, Kwon Yuri.”

Yoona’s eyes grew larger. Yuri was shocked.

“Im Yoona, can you save me?”

-

That night, Yoona decided to drive to Tiffany’s house on her own. She managed to bake the cake at the last minute. She looked at the time; she was on time. She took the keys from Soo Young and drove off. Yuri was missing after that weird encounter with their client.

Yoona managed to reach her client’s place in one piece. She was still trying to contact Yuri but to no avail. Yoona gave up and put her phone into her back pocket. She took out the cake box and made her way to the front door. She pressed the bell.

Yoona could hear shrieks and screams from the other side of the door. Yoona frowned but nevertheless waited. Few seconds later, she could hear the lock went unclick and someone opened the door. Tiffany was the one who greeted her.

“Hello Tiffany.”

“Hey, you made it! Is this the cake?”

Tiffany’s eyes glanced down to the cake box in Yoona’s hands. The lady nodded and gave it to Tiffany. She was about to turn around when Tiffany caught hold of her wrist.

“Hey, since you’re here, why don’t you join the party?”

“Huh?”

“Well, I have been boasting about how good your cakes are and my friends are interested if they find the cakes to their liking. I can introduce you immediately.”

“Oh, I didn’t bring my name cards.”

“Nah, you don’t need that. I’ll be your PR manager for tonight.”

“But..”

Tiffany didn’t wait; she just pulled the poor girl in. Yoona couldn’t react nor refuse. She was dragged in and then she came face to face with a group of girls sitting on the round sofa; with feline and furry animals scurried all around the hall – cats and dogs.

It was really a party.

“Tiffany, what’s taking you so long?!”

“I brought a new friend.”

“Woooh~”

Some of the ladies were whistling away and some were already grinning and smirking at Yoona. She was honestly lost and confused.

“Everyone, this is Yoona.”

“HI YOONA!”

“Err, hi?”

Yoona waved awkwardly. One of the girls was giggling away.

“Aw, she’s so shy~”

“Stop teasing her. She’s a good girl and stop eye-flirting with her, Nicole.”

“She’s tall and gorgeous.”

“Yes she is but she’s out of bounds.”

Tiffany held on to Yoona’s hand tightly and even managed a quick whisper.

“Stick to me. These girls are wolves in disguise.”

“Huh?”

“They might devour you if you let go of my hand.”

“I can sense that.”

“So hold on to me tightly. I’ll bring you to the kitchen.”

“Okay.”

Yoona held on to her dear life.

-

Tiffany’s kitchen was in hot pink. It looked like some photo studio instead of an actual kitchen. But it was fully complete with apparatus and kitchen hardware. Even the oven looked impressive.

“Wow, the kitchen looks good.”

“Really? My friends hate it. This is the only place in my house that they will never enter.”

“Oh, so that’s why you dragged me here?”

“Technically, you’re safe here.”

“I see.”

Yoona looked around; Tiffany doesn’t have that domestic kind of look to own such domestic looking kitchen although it had the designer’s touch for the interior design.

“I don’t cook. It’s just that I like to have a complete kitchen. My grandmother sometimes cooks here if she stays over. So it would be easier.”

“Ah. I guess so.”

Tiffany smiled before opening the cake box. The cake looked amazing; it was exactly the same as what Tiffany wanted.

“Wow, you’re really good. This is so detailed.”

“I strive to make my customers happy.”

“Jessica’s right. Your cakes are awesome.”

“Jessica?”

“Oh, a friend of mine was the one who introduced your cakes to me. She said you’re an awesome baker.”

“Ah, that’s really a huge compliment.”

“I guess Jessica’s right. You’re really good; everything was done with perfection including the intricate details.”

“You haven’t taste it yet.”

“I’m going to now.”

Tiffany cut a piece of the cake and poked it with her fork. Once it entered , the cake melted instantly. Tiffany was completely awed with the delicious taste of sweetness in .

“OH DEAR GOD, this is cake !”

“Okay, that’s really weird for a feedback.”

“I’m sorry. But this is really good! I really love the sweet taste of strawberries! And it’s pink inside out! You’re really awesome!”

Yoona smiled sheepishly. Tiffany was singing praises of her since just now and she was a little overwhelmed with the sweet talking. Nevertheless, she helped Tiffany with the rest of finger food and placed them on the dining table.

“I ordered them. The only thing I made is the margaritas.”

“I see. Is the cake enough for your friends?”

“We’re not really huge eaters so it’s fine.”

“So who’s party today?”

Tiffany giggled before running out of the kitchen; and to return shortly with a white Maltese in her arms.

“His name is Prince Fluffy.”

“Prince Fluffy?”

“I know it sounds gay but I like it.”

“Ah, so what should I call him?”

“Anything you prefer.”

“Prince?”

“He loves that name a lot.”

Yoona was unsure but nevertheless took the dog in her arms. She called out to him and true enough, he responded with a loud bark.

“You’re sure loud for a tiny fella.”

“Well, he inherited it from me. I’m pretty loud.”

Yoona wanted to nod along but she decided not to. She just smiled and put Prince down. The dog ran his way out and soon joined his furry friends for merry. The barking was getting louder by the second.

-

“Where are we going?”

“Be my date tonight.”

“WHAT?!”

“There’s food!”

“You told me you want to buy dinner as an apology. And now you’re telling me I’m your date for some party?!”

“There’s food!”

“Food doesn’t interest me.”

“What does?”

Yuri stared at the lady in disbelief.

“Jessica Jung, are you seriously weird like this?”

“I’m not weird. I’m just an ice princess. I don’t really talk much.”

“Yeah, and the fact that you keep repeating your sentences proved a lot.”

“Shut up. Just follow me for a while. I’ll buy you supper.”

“I don’t eat supper.”

“What are you? Diet god?”

“No, it’s just that I take good care of my body.”

Jessica nodded. She already knew that. Jessica Jung was completely taken aback when she saw Yuri for the first time. Never mind the fact that she was when Yuri saw her but Jessica Jung was almost amused with how Yuri tried to defend herself earlier on.

“ERT!”

“WHAT? NO, I’M THE DELIVERY CAKE GIRL!”

“What cakes?”

Yuri quickly took out the invoice and passed it to Jessica with her eyes closed. Jessica was amused but nevertheless took the invoice. She was quick enough to wrap herself with the blanket nearby.

“Krystal Jung, do you need to order such a huge cake?”

Jessica mumbled to herself. Her sister bought it for her. But it was a huge cake so Jessica was complaining instead of feeling grateful.

“Can I put the cake here and go off?”

“What? Aren’t you going to apologize for intruding?”

“No, I mean yes. I’m sorry, I’m in a hurry. I have other places to deliver.”

“Should I call the police?”

“Whatever for?”

“You came in without my permission!”

“Okay lady, maybe I was in the wrong for entering without permission.”

“You ARE in the wrong.”

“Okay, fine. I AM in the wrong. But for the record, you have a perfect body.”

“What? You saw my assets?!”

Yuri was blushing.

“I happened to look. IT WASN’T INTENTIONAL! IT WAS TOTALLY UNINTENTIONAL!”

“Don’t you think you should bear responsible for it?”

“What responsible?”

“YOU SAW ME !”

“Okay, what kind of responsibility do I have to do just because you’re ?”

“I’ll ask my neighbours for their opinion.”

“NO YOU DONT!”

-

Jessica let out a soft giggle when she was reminded of the tiny incident with Yuri at her place. Jessica was in cahoots with the neighbours to embarrass Yuri. She was just intrigued with Yuri’s dork antics.

“Hello?”

“Huh?”

“Can’t you hear me?”

“You said something?”

“Yes, I was asking. What kind of party is this?”

They were finally at the front door. Right in front of the door was a picture of a Maltese dog with a birthday hat. He looked pitiful.

“It’s my friend’s dog’s birthday.”

“We’re going to a dog party?!”

“Well, besides the dogs and the cats inside, we have humans too.”

“Are we eating dog’s biscuits?”

“Don’t be an idiot. We’ll eat human food.”

Yuri stared at Jessica.

“Is this your way of “being responsibility” for your ness?”

“Shut up. My ness has nothing got to do with you. I just promised my friend that I’d be here. So, just bear with me.”

Jessica pressed the door bell before putting her arm around Yuri’s.

“The girls inside are wolves in disguise. They will rip you apart if you’re walking in alone. So stay close with me.”

“What the hell did I get myself into?”

“It’s nothing peculiar; it’s just a birthday for a Prince and lady wolves that are out for fun.”

“And a client who kidnaps their delivery cake girl as a date.”

“Ah, you’re lucky to have me, seriously.”

Yuri was bewildered.

-

“Girls, girls, CALM DOWN!”

“God Jessica, where did you get her?”

“GOO HARA! HANDS OFF HER!”

“She’s gorgeous!”

“I know, but just hands off!”

“Hey sweetie, do you want to get down with me?”

“No way, Gyuri unnie. She’s not yours.”

“Oh come on, I’m not seeing anyone!”

“What happened to Eun Jung unnie?”

“We broke off.”

“You’re such a player.”

“Oh come on!”

“Gyuri unnie lied! Eun Jung unnie just sent her here earlier on!”

“SHUT UP, YOUNGJI!”

“What? What did I miss?”

“Hyomin, please continue kissing your Sunny.”

“Wow, who is this tanned gorgeous chick?”

“Nobody touch her!”

Yuri was in complete confusion. She was pushed from one person to another and someone was fiercely fighting; protecting her at all costs. Eventually Yuri found herself being pushed into the kitchen. Jessica was pulling her arm away from the girls. Jessica was right. They were wolves in disguise.

“Are you alright?”

“Who are they? Are they even humans? Why do I have this feeling they are Gumiho’s descendants?”

“They are just playing a fool but it might get too over sometimes.”

“I was scared to death. I almost peed in my .”

“Did you?”

“I said almost so obviously I didn’t pee at all!”

“Okay, okay. I’ll say hi to my best friend then we can leave her as soon as possible.”

“Please hurry.”

“Stay here.”

“ALL BY MYSELF?!”

“Don’t worry; they won’t come in here. This is like a jinx place for them.”

“Where am I exactly?”

“My friend’s kitchen – the safest place in the world.”

“That doesn’t sound right.”

“Just stay here and don’t wander around. You’re safe here. I’ll be right back.”

Jessica left and Yuri was all alone. She looked around the hideous pink kitchen and although she loves pink but this was just too much. She decided to grab herself a drink and all she could see was strawberry milk packet drinks.

“Is this for real?”

Suddenly she heard someone entering the kitchen. Yuri cringed.

“Please don’t let it be one of the Gumihos!”

She mumbled softly before closing the fridge door. But she was more shocked to find her cousin; standing there staring back at her in disbelief.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!”

Both asked at the same time.

-