Anything But This

RUNAWAY

   "I'm pregnant, and you're the only man I've ever been with. Look, I'll even do a DNA test if it would please you."

   I could feel my eyes widen until it was physically strenuous, and had to blink the pain away. No, what would please me is if someone could just wake me up from this nightmare already. This just can't be true. Anything but this. My head hurt, palms got sweaty, I felt like a ton of bricks just fell on me... There's just no way this is happening. Not now, not ever, not to me. What did I ever to so wrong for this to have happened?

   "Are you ok? You look a little pale..." Her voice was shaky, and that's when I remembered, I'm not in this alone. She may act fearless, but it's just a front. She must be outright terrified. Her body, job, even her life is on the line. Knowing her, it must have taken a lot to swallow her pride and come over in such a state. I pulled her so close I could smell her scent, that tangy scent of rose and metal, burying her face in my shoulder and rubbing her back softly.

   That's the moment she broke down, her grip so tight my shirt nearly ripped. She didn't make much noise at all, just shook in my hold and let the tears fall, an occasional mumble or what could've been my name escaping her lips. The long journey to come back to see me must've exhausted her, seeing as she yawned a few times during our small talk.

   "You can sleep in my room and I'll take the couch," I informed her, catching her off guard.

   "You mean, I can stay here?" I nodded, and she enveloped me in another tight hug. "Honey, I may be a horrible person, and you have every right to hate me, but there's no way I'd let you sleep on the couch. Let's just share the bed... not like we haven't before..." She quickly muttered the last words under her breath. Hard to believe this terrible assassin is suddenly blushing like a little schoolgirl over sharing a bed with her ex. And soon-to=-be father of your child, I reminded myself.

She's not so bad, I thought, she's more like a warrior princess. Her father was in the same line of work, I'd found out. Both trudging tiredly upstairs, we swiftly climbed under the covers, each laying on opposite sides.

   "Hey," she whispered, and I felt her shift towards me.

   "Huh?" I replied.

   "I'm so sorry," she sighed, "about everything. I never should have dragged you into this, but-"

   "They'd kill you if they knew, then hunt down the father? So you ran away." I peeked over at her, "Just guessing here."

   She nodded and bit her lip, and I couldn't tell if she was about to cry again. Suddenly, she shot up and ran across the room to the bathroom. I sighed knowingly, I'd helped my older sister when she was pregnant years ago, and followed her, quietly kneeling next to her to hold her hair back. Various whimpers and shakes later, after she was finished, I brought a towel and a glass of water, laying beside her on the floor rug.

   "so, how long have you known?" I decided to break the eerie silence.

   "About a month," she leaned her head on my shoulder. "I'm about two to three months along, I think." She sounded like she was confessing her sins in a church, how ironic. Trying to hide my obvious nerves, fear, and irritation, I merely draped an arm over her shoulder and let the silence consume us once again.

   Assuming she'd fallen asleep since she was so quiet, I carried her back to the bed. Just when I'd set her down, her eyes fluttered, two orbs filled with unspoken sadness peering into my soul like an open window.

   She whimpered, casting her gaze downward. "So where does this leave us now? What are we?"