Chapter 2 The First Meal

The Time of Our Lives

Luna’s restaurant is about 15 minutes from the school. La Caffe is a cozy little restaurant that serves genuine Italian dishes as well as coffee roasting. It is tucked away in the back alleyways of the busy street. It has a white and bright interior with a retractable glass windows from floor to ceiling along the two walls of the restaurant but thanks to a few large oak trees outside, the restaurant itself can keep cool during the hot summer days. It also has a wooden deck section with retractable awning for outdoor setting. During the rainy season Luna would open the windows to let in the sound of the rain and with a jazzy tune playing in the background giving it a more atmospheric feel.

 

Luna is a small frame kind of girl, she’s not as tall as Victoria or Krystal but she has a different charm about her. She has a lovely, bubbly personality and always has a bright smile on her face; the kind of smile that reaches the eyes. She is cute, optimistic, and supportive of her friends. She believes that most people are nice and sincere. Luna was already expecting them and she came out smiling her bright smile to greet her friends.

 

“Hey you guys what took you so long? Oh you brought company…….Oh it’s Nichkhun!” Luna gasps at the sight of the famous actor

“Luna, pick up your jaw off the floor dear. Here let me introduce you, this is Mr. Nichkhun, this is my other best friend Luna” Krystal introduced the both of them

“Hi I’m Nichkhun, but you guys can just call me Khun it’s easier and less formal” Nichkhun said.

 

Victoria just scoffs at the sight of Khun trying to charm her friends…and it seemed like it was working too.“Aishh…this guy (whispering to herself)”

“Khun will be joining us for lunch today Luna. Let’s get seated, I’m sooo hungry right now” Krystal said while rubbing her tummy

 

Luna seated them at the corner of the restaurant next to the open window where it’s less crowded and more private. They began to order their food, Victoria ordered spaghetti caborana, Krystal ordered lasagna and garden salad to share. Nichkhun however, ordered 3 of the most expensive dishes on the menu for himself claiming to be starving.

“Are you gonna be able to finish all that?” Victoria asked

“Oh I am really hungry…and besides they all look so good I couldn’t decide” Nichkhun replied

 

They started making small talk while waiting for their food to arrive. Victoria mostly listened. They all laughed at his jokes (Victoria thought it wasn’t that funny at all) When the food arrived they all started to eat their food and because they were quite hungry Victoria and Krystal finished their dishes rather quickly. Nichkhun also finished all the food he ordered and then he proceeded to order 2 desserts and a pot of freshly brew coffee. When he had inhaled all the food into his stomach it was time to get the bill.

 

“Oh Luna the food was great. You really are a great cook!” Victoria smiled and complimented her friend

“Oh Thank you Vic, you are a great cook yourself” Luna smiled and complimented her best friend as well.

“Luna can we get the check please, I think we should get going. I wanna check on Erummie at home” Victoria said

“Sure I’ll be right back” Luna said

 

When Luna came back with the bill, Victoria couldn’t believe her eyes. The entire meal cost more than 3 times the amount she usually pay. Of course with all the expensive dishes Nichkhun had ordered.

“What’s the matter? Is it too expensive for you? Don’t worry it’ll just be my treat then” Nichkhun said smiling to Victoria

“Vic we can split the bill, don’t worry about it” Krystal said

“You know what? Don’t worry about any of this guys, it’s on the house” Luna said

“No, Luna you know I won’t let you do that, this is business and I will never take advantage of you like that and you too Krys. I said I’d treat you and that’s what I intended to do” Victoria said

 

Luna and Krystal just nodded their heads. They know their friend too well. Victoria would never take advantage of her friends like that. She may not be a girl with means but she’s got her pride.

“Here you go Luna. Thanks for the delicious meal. It was lovely” Victoria said smiling brightly at her friend while paying the bill

“Thanks Vic. It’s lovely to have you here” Luna said

 

Watching the exchange between them reminded Nichkhun of his relationship with his best friends. He could see that their friendship is strong and deep, he could see that these are the best of friends. The kind that everyone wished they have by their sides. He also began to admire Victoria about her pride too. The fact that she kept her word and pay for the meal even though it was probably too expensive for her made him feel  guilty a little bit.

 

They all got up to leave, Krystal and Luna were walking in front of Nichkhun and Victoria. Suddenly Nichkhun pulled Vic aside and handed her enough cash to cover the cost of the meal.

 

“Here take this” Nichkhun said

“What is this?” Victoria asked looking confused

“It’s for the meal……Come on take it. I’ll pay for the meal…here take the money” Nichkhun insisted

“You forced me into accepting to treat you this meal and you proceed to order the most expensive dishes so you can see the look on my face when I see the bill and humiliate me in front of my friends and now you feel guilty? Am I supposed to feel grateful to you now? Keep your money Mr. Nichkhun. I don’t want it.” Victoria replied as sternly as possible and walked over to Krystal who was waiting for her outside the restaurant.

 

Nichkhun was completely lost for words. The way she looked at him was enough to send chill down his spine. He knew he went overboard with it, and he didn’t feel all that great about it either. Which was weird to Nichkhun, he usually didn’t give a damn about anyone or anything. It’s not that he’s a heartless kind of person, it’s just that he never let anyone come close enough to make him care. He always put people at a safe distant, the only people he allowed near and dear to his heart are his best friends Wooyoung and Teacyeon. Someway somehow Victoria’s words had made him feel something for someone else again.

 

By the time Nichkhun walked out of the restaurant Victoria and Krystal had already left. He was standing in front of the restaurant with the money still in his hand, thinking to himself

 

“Maybe I went a little too far”