Chapter 1 - The First Meeting

The Time of Our Lives

 

In the eye of the public Nichkhun is the famous actor, handsome, rich, y, extremely private which made him even more mysterious and even more wanted to most women. Those were just the perceptions that the public had about him, but to those who knew him best would say that Nichkhun is much more than just a mysterious man. He rarely gives interviews or appeared on variety shows or talk shows because he didn’t want to talk about his personal life. He didn’t want to talk about his personal life because it was too painful for him to talk about it. He remembered it all, he remembered everything. He had put his past and all of its memories into the corner of his heart and he will keep it there always, to remind himself to never wear his heart on his sleeve ever again.

 

It was a bright sunny day in the middle of July; Victoria woke up early feeling particularly happy since it was the start of the new school semester. Today she will get to meet her students or as she liked to call them, her “kids”. She woke up to see Erummie, her 3 year old Golden Retriever sitting next to her bed, looking at her with adorable eyes and began waggling his tail the moment she opened her eyes.

 

“Good morning Erummie. It’s such a nice day isn’t it” Victoria smiled and greeted her pet while rubbing her hand on his head. “Woof” Erummie responded as if to agree with her about the weather. “Be a good boy and wait for me while I take a shower ok? And I’ll get you something to eat afterward” Victoria quickly went into the bathroom and after 20 minutes she reappeared, her iPod that was attached to an iPod speakers, press play and the music of Robin Thicke “Mona Lisa” began to play. Victoria began to get dress and applied her make up while humming to the song.

 

Victoria worked as a kindergarten teacher at Seoul Kindergarten. She was the only child of the late Mr. and Mrs. Song, who passed away in a tragic car accident on November 15Th 2 years ago. It was the worst day of her life. Her parents were everything to her, they were her world, her whole universe. She grew up in a loving home and she never could have imagined her parents be taken away from her in such manner. Although her parents’ death was sudden and shocking, she was still grateful to them for being the best parent a child could asked for. Victoria learned one big lesson about life from her parents’ death and that is to cherish life, love, friendship and everything that you hold dear to your heart everyday because you never know when it will be taken away from you.

 

After a while Victoria finished getting dress. She looked at herself in the mirror and then turn to Erummie “how do I look? Do I look ok?” “Woof woof” Erummie responded while turning around in circle as if to show his enthusiasm. “Thank you Erummie ahh. Come on let’s get you something to eat” Victoria was wearing a simple light gray light ruffles sleeve dress that goes down to  above her knees and let her hair down, she looked beautiful.

 

Victoria and Erummie went down to the 1st floor, she the Coffee machine then poured some dog food in Erummie food bowl and refilled water enough for him.  Afterwards she poured herself a cup of coffee. Sitting at her dining table watching Erummie enjoying his breakfast she thought to herself “I have a feeling today is going to be a good day”

 

“I’m off to work now Erummie ahh. Be a good boy ok? And I’ll see you tonight” Erummie walked to the door to send her off to work, watched until she was out the front gate then walked back into the house through his dog door.

 

At Seoul Kindergarten

“Hi Vic! Oh you look lovely today!” Krystal beamed at the sight of her best friend. “Hi Krys. You look great yourself” Victoria replied while smiling brightly at her best friend.

 

Victoria and Krystal have known each other since college. Victoria, Krystal and Luna were put into the same group as part of a hazing ritual on their first day of university. That’s how their friendship started and they’ve been best friends ever since. Krystal is the only child of a prestigious and extremely wealthy family. On the surface she can be seen as a bit cold and distant to strangers since she practically grew up alone because her parents are extremely busy with their businesses. A lot of people think she’s a spoil rich girl but on the contrary she’s actually a pretty grounded young woman. A lot of people think she doesn’t take her job seriously and she’s only doing this just for fun. However, she’s actually very serious about her job and she loves her students sincerely. She is straight forward and isn’t afraid to speak her mind and she’s very protective of her best friends.  

 

“Hey Vic did you know that a famous actor is coming to our school today?” Krystal asked “Really I didn’t know that. Who’s coming?” “it’s Nichkhun! Apparently he’s going to play the role of a kindergarten teacher in a drama series soon, so he has requested permission from the school board to observe and learn what it’s like to be a kindergarten teacher and the board has agreed!” Krystal said excitedly.

 

“Oh really. So whose class is he going to observe then? Yours?” Victoria inquired “ He’s going to be observing you Vic” Krystal answered “What?? Me?? Why me??” Victoria sounded surprise. “Of course it’s you. You’re the best teacher in the school. Duh” Krystal rolled her eyes

 

“Oh I don’t know Krys. It’s the first day of school and the kids are arriving soon. You know what it’s like on the first day, kids running around everywhere. I don’t want to have to take care of him too. Can’t he be in your class instead?” Victoria bargained

 

“Sorry girl, it’s the board’s decision not mine. Come on, you’ll be fine Vic. How about this let’s go to Luna’s for lunch today, my treat!” Krystal smile sweetly trying to lift her best friend’s mood.

 

“Ok fine… but lunch is on me since you already paid last time” Krystral just smile and nod. It’s one of the things that she loves about Victoria. It’s the fact that Victoria never takes advantage of her.  Krystal is used to freeloaders, she gets that a lot once people find out who she is, but Victoria and Luna never take any advantage of her and that’s why she loves them both to death.

 

“Ok I’ll see you at lunch then. Have fun girl” and with that Krystal left to get ready for her class.

Victoria was busy preparing her classroom; she wrote the word “welcome back” on the blackboard and drew hearts, stars, cats and dogs etc. using colorful chalks. Then she prepared story books that she wanted to read to the kids while they’re taking their after lunch nap. She checked on the various toys in the room to see if anything is broken or maybe harmful to the children. She was beginning to gather all the crayons into the basket and prepare papers for the children to draw on when she suddenly heard the door shut.

“Omo you scared me”. Victoria exclaimed. There stood at the door was none other than the famous actor, Nichkhun.

----------------------------

Vic POV

“Oh he’s here…I wonder what exactly am I supposed to do with him…. Oh well I’ll find out soon enough”

 

“Hi my name is Victoria Song, nice to meet you” Victoria introduced herself while extending her hand to greet him. Nichkhun just look at her extended hand and shook it nonchalantly “Hi” he said.

 

Vic POV

“Was that even a proper greeting to someone you just met? Actually to someone who’s doing you a favor?”

 

He was wearing a simple navy blue V-neck t-shirt that showed his well build upper body and he was wearing a pair of khaki pants and black leather Vans that also emphasize his long legs. He looked like he just stepped out of a magazine.

 

She looked at him walking around the classroom with his arms crossed, looking at the pictures that the children drew that were posted on the wall. He picked up a toy, examined it and put it back in the basket and then rubbed his hands together as if to remove dust from his hands.

“What the hell is he doing? This guy” Victoria thought “Excuse me you are here to observe me for a role you’ll be doing soon right?” “We should get started then” Victoria said “Get started? I don’t understand? I’m here to OBSERVE and that’s all I’m doing and nothing more” Nichkhun replied.

“Oh I see, then just sit at the back and OBSERVE away then…and don’t disrupt me while I teach” Victoria said feeling irritated at the famous actor

 

The students started to arrive and pretty soon the room is filled with 12 kids running around, talking to each other about where they’ve been, showing off their new toys, bags, shoes etc. A little boy ran over to Victoria and gave her a hug and said “Miss Song I missed you” then the other children started to follow suit. They all came racing towards Victoria trying to give her hugs too. They all scream “I miss you too” “no I miss you more” “no I miss her the most”. Sounds of little kids screaming filled the room. Victoria just smile to the children and told them that she missed them too.

 

“Ok everybody take a seat now. Today before we begin our class I’d like to introduce you to a very special guest. Let’s give a warm welcome to our guest who is sitting at the back” Victoria said and pointed to Nichkhun

 

Nichkhun stood up, bright smile plastered across his face expecting to hear kids screaming at the sight of him, running towards him trying to give him a hug (just like they did to Victoria)…but…..nothing..... zip……zero

 

“Miss Song who is this Arjasshi?” one little boy asked “it’s Lee Seung Ki you stupid” another boy replied “no it’s Yoo Ah In” “no it’s not Yoo Ah In. It’s……..…” noise everywhere. Children started to argue trying to figure out who he was.

“Kids, kids no need to argue. It’s the famous Nichkhun” Victoria said

The kids turn and look at Nichkhun and a little girl said

“He’s not that handsome” strike one Nichkhun thought

Another girl chimed in “he looks better on TV” ouch! strike two

Smile slowly faded from his face. Never has he been this humiliated before.

 

Khun POV

Aishh these kids! I’m the most famous actor in Korea, how can they say that about me? And look at that teacher of theirs; smiling… no smirking is more like it. I bet she’s enjoying every minute of this!

 

“Kids it’s disrespectful to say that to Mr. Nichkhun, it’s not his fault he doesn’t look as good in real life. Now apologize to him now ok?” STRIKE THREE!!

“We’re sorry Mr. Nichkhun” the kids all said in unison. Nichkhun just smile his sweet, heart melting  kind of smile and said to the kids “its ok kids…don’t worry about it” but honestly, it didn’t make him feel any better at all.

 

Khun POV

“I can’t believe this woman! It’s not his fault he doesn’t look as good in real life??? Me? How could she say that to someone she just met? And she’s a teacher for heaven sake!”

 

Class has officially begins. Nichkhun remained seated at the back of the room, observing…and occasionally plotting his revenge.

She began by teaching them to sing the alphabet song to help them learn the alphabet more easily. Next it was a drawing time, children were given blank papers, crayons, markers, color pencil, stickers etc. Victoria began walking around encouraging her kids to draw; showering them with praises and helped some kid when they needed help.

 

Aside from the revenge plotting Nichkhun has been observing Victoria in her environment as well. He may not have the best impression of her so far, but he is a reasonable guy and he could honestly see that she’s a really good teacher.  She was always smiling to the kids no matter how many times she had to explain the same thing over and over again, she still smiled. The way she looked at these kids was full of tenderness and love, he could tell that she genuinely love her job and that’s probably why she’s the best (well according to the school board at least).

 

Nichkhun watched as the children sing songs, drew pictures and learned the alphabets, play matching game. Victoria never seems tired at all. He actually enjoyed observing her a lot that he lost track of time and pretty soon it was lunch time.

“Kids it’s lunch time now, I’ll be passing out milk to everyone soon ok” Victoria said

 

The kids were sitting in their seats eating their homemade lunch while Victoria began to pass out little boxes of milk to everyone when…..

“Miss Song I can’t open my milk”……”Miss Song I spill rice all over me”…..”Miss Song I don’t want to drink milk. Can I have juice instead?” “Miss Song Taehyung-sshi stole my sausage” a little girl name Hee Sung began to cry…Chaos is about to ensue. Victoria looked a little tense now with kids start demanding her attention all at once. She looked around and stopped at Nichkhun.

She was staring at him with her big eyes and gesturing him to come over to her while mouthing “Come here” Nichkhun pointed at himself as if to make sure that she meant him, then he slowly got up and walked over to her.

 

“What do you want?” Nichkhun asked

“First open the milk carton for her then take this boy and clean him up. Get all the rice out of his clothes and make sure you wash his hands properly then clean his table and chair.” Victoria fired orders at him at a lighting speed. Nichkhun was standing here flabbergasted at what she just said.

“You want me to do what?? I’m here to observe only don’t you remember?” Nichkhun said

“Observation time ends NOW! From this moment on it’s make-a-real-contribution-time or you’re out of here for good” Victoria said

 

Nichkhun had no choice but to comply. He really didn’t know how to answer to her. He was used to people cradling to his every need and want without ever questioning him. He wasn’t mad at Victoria for yelling at him, he was surprised that she wasn’t star struck by his presence like most girls do. A little smile crept on his face when he obliged to Victoria’s orders. Nichkhun first opened the milk carton for the little girl, then he took the little boy to get clean up. When Nichkhun came back the children was eating their lunch peacefully, no more whining, no more attention seeking, it was peace and quiet again.

“How did she do it? I went out for like 2 minutes and now everything is peace and quiet again” Nichkhun thought

 

After lunch it was time for the children to take their afternoon nap. Victoria quickly arranged the mats, pillows and blankets for the children, of course with the help of Nichkhun who knew by now not to wait until she tells him to do it.

The children began to lay down one by one while Victoria began to read a story book to serenade them to sleep. Nichkhun was sitting at the back observing Victoria reading to the children in her sweet, tender loving voice. After about 10 minutes all the children were sound asleep. Victoria got up and walked over to Nichkhun.

“It’s 12 o’clock now, you can go get lunch at the cafeteria if you want. The children will be asleep until 1 o’clock and then school is over for today”

“What about you? Aren’t you going to eat?” Nichkhun asked

“I usually have lunch after school is over, I don’t want to leave the children unattended even when they’re sleeping. Besides I’m having lunch with my friends today after class”

“I’ll wait till class is over too then.” Nichkhun said

“Fine suit yourself” Victoria replied

 

Victoria went back to work by picking up the toys and put them away, collecting all the drawings that the children drew went over to her desk and start putting heart stickers, star stickers on the papers as a form of praise for the children for the job well done.

 

The hour past by and it was now time for the children to wake up and get ready to go home.

 

Victoria carefully wake the children up and passed out cartons of orange juice, of course with the help of Nichkhun.

At around  1 o’clock the parents started to arrive to pick up the kids. Victoria stood at the front gate waving goodbyes to the kids while Nichkhun stayed inside the room.

 

“Hey Vic how was your first da…y……oh you’re not Victoria…You must be Mr. Nichkhun, nice to meet you, I’m Krystal” Krystal walked into the room and introduced herself when she saw Nichkhun.

“Hi I’m Nichkhun” Nichkhun greeted Kystral

“Where is Victoria? She’s supposed to treat me to lunch at our friend’s restaurant after class”

 

Khun POV

“Treat you lunch huh?? Interesting”

 

“She’s outside sending the kids home, so you guys are going to lunch huh? Can you recommend a good restaurant for me? I haven’t had lunch yet and I’m not really familiar with this part of town”

“Oh you haven’t eaten anything? You’re welcome to join us if you want. Luna is a great cook, you won’t be disappointed” Krystral said

“Oh I’d love to. If you really don’t mind” Nichkhun said “Of course we don’t mind” Krystal smile

Victoria came back into the room at that moment. “Oh Vic you’re back, come on let’s go to lunch. Mr. Nichkhun here will join us too” Krystal said “What?? Why?” Victoria said a little too loud and looked at Nichkhun

“Why not? Krystal here had the courtesy to invite me to lunch, seeing that I’m all alone and haven’t eaten anything all day. She’s nice enough to think of me and invite me along. Besides she said that your friend Luna is a great cook so I wanna try some of her dishes too”

(whispering to himself but loud enough for Victoria to hear) “Unlike somebody who doesn’t even have to decency to offer to treat a poor guy a meal after all the help he’s done.”  Nichkhun replied smirking at Victoria

 

Victoria couldn’t say anything. She is certainly not a rich girl, but she was never cheap either and to hear what Nichkhun just said about her made her mad and she wanted to prove him wrong too.

 

“Fine I’ll treat you to lunch then” Victoria said

And with that they all head out to Luna’s restaurant.