Chapter 5

Safe

EunHee stirred from her sleep. A deep, dreamless sleep. Her head felt like she’d been run over by a truck. Or like she’d been drinking for a week straight. Had she been drinking? She pried her eyes open. Only to open them wide in shock.

Right. Vampires.

She held her breath while she inched away from the face right in front of her. Pale skin, pink lips, silk dark hair that fell over his eyes. Kyuhyun, if she remembered correctly. She stopped moving abruptly when she felt something warm behind her. She carefully maneuvered to look over her shoulder, noticing the warm arm draped over her waist and another sleeping face behind her. And there was Chanyeol. She gasped.

With a wild look around she realized she was in her bedroom. The door was shut. The curtains were closed tightly. Everything was covered in darkness.

“Sleep,” Kyuhyun mumbled.

EunHee bit her lip in surprise.

“What are you two doing in my bed?” she hissed quietly.

Kyuhyun groaned and opened one eye to a small slit.

“We are trying to sleep,” he huffed, like it was obvious.

“In my bed?”

“Obviously.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s comfy,” another sleepy voice joined the conversation.

EunHee her back to notice Chanyeol blinking sleepily at her.

“And you decided to use me as a teddy bear?”

He smiled wickedly.

“You’re comfy too.”

“Gee, thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

Chanyeol pulled her a little closer and snuggled a little deeper into the blankets. Kyuhyun was already drifting back to sleep.

“Yah! Let go of me.”

“No,” Chanyeol murmured.

“Let go of me or I’ll start screaming,” she warned.

“Don’t. Kyuhyun-hyung doesn’t like loud noises.”

“Tough.”

Kyuhyun growled softly.

“He’s right. And you’re both being very noisy.”

He opened his eyes slightly to glare at them. Chanyeol ducked a little behind EunHee.

“Just sleep, Lee EunHee. We’re not used to daytime rhythm, you know.”

“And I should adjust to this, why?”

She stunned for a moment.

“Wait, my name… I never told you my name, did I?”

Kyuhyun smirked.

“Went through your purse,” he announced with glee. “Lovely passport-photo by the way.”

EunHee’s cheeks colored a light pink. She ignored the comment and struggled to get out of Chanyeol’s grasp.

“I know you’re trying to make me your pet. I’m not going to be one.”

“We’re just trying to keep you safe,” Chanyeol soothed.

“From what?”

Kyuhyun huffed in annoyance, lifting his head of the pillow to fix her with a stare.

“Other vampires out for your blood. You do taste good, remember.”

“So they tell me,” she muttered.

“Besides, we saved you,” Chanyeol smiled. “You owe us.”

“Excuse me?”

“You owe us. So now you’re going to help us.”

EunHee’s mouth fell open in indignation.

“You. You two.”

“EunHee…”

She tried not to look at Chanyeol who threw her a puppy-eyed look. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately.

“Do you really think you’ll be able to live your old life after all this?” he asked softly.

EunHee snapped shut.

“I… I can try.”

“But it won’t work, will it? You’ve seen what’s out there. You know what can happen to a fragile human. You wouldn’t be able to feel safe anymore,” Kyuhyun added.

“That’s…”

“We won’t hurt you. We’ll keep you safe,” Chanyeol spoke seriously.

“Why?”

Her voice suddenly sounded small.

“The big oaf likes you.”

Kyuhyun smirked evilly at Chanyeol’s shocked expression and turned around, nestling in the covers with his back to them. He sighed.

“And you can be useful to us.”

EunHee looked at Chanyeol who blushed.

“You’ll stay?”

She was quiet for a while, thinking through her options. They were right. She’d never feel safe again now that she knew vampires existed. Especially not if they considered her delicious. She glanced at the two men curled up in her bed. It was so strange, but for some reason she trusted these two. She slowly nodded. A huge smile broke free on Chanyeol’s face. He suddenly leaned in to her and pressed his lips on hers.

“Good,” he mumbled.

He settled back on his pillow, smiling like an idiot. EunHee was stunned. It had only been a light touch. Warm and fleeting, but it felt like lightning had struck her. Chanyeol closed his eyes happily. EunHee felt warmth welling up in her chest and before she realized it, she leaned forward, making Chanyeol’s eyes fly wide open.

Her lips moved against his gently. It didn’t take long for Chanyeol to kiss her back. His hands gripped her waist possessively, pressing himself closer to taste more of her. Heaven. It was heaven. EunHee moved away to catch her breath. A mad blush colored her cheeks.

“You do realize you’re not alone here, right?”

They guiltily looked over to Kyuhyun who didn’t even bother to turn around.

“Save the lovey-dovey stuff for when you’re alone.”

“Hmm, definitely.”

Chanyeol’s eyes glittered at the thought. EunHee buried her head in her pillow, embarrassed to the bone, but feeling her heart doing strange flip-flops.

A sly nudge from Kyuhyun’s back slid her right into Chanyeol’s arms who gladly pulled her into his embrace. EunHee struggled weakly, but saw the soft smile on his face and gave up. She let her head rest on his chest in a shy gesture, still feeling like a tomato. Chanyeol was so warm and very comfortable.

“I thought vampires were cold,” she muttered sleepily.

Chanyeol hummed in amusement.

“Only if we haven’t fed recently.”

“Do you kill people?” she asked quietly.

It was a question that had been bothering her since they healed her. If they were different from the ones who attacked her. He shook his head. She felt it rather than see it.

“No, not us.”

She nodded reassured and stifled a yawn. Chanyeol pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head.

“Get some sleep.”

EunHee smiled and fell into a warm slumber, feeling safer than she ever had.