Chapter 3

Safe

A movement to her right startled EunHee and she forced her eyes open. She hadn’t even noticed that she closed them. She was just so tired.

“Hyung, she’s still alive,” it sounded quietly.

Large brown eyes looked down on her in wonder. There was another movement on her left and she stared at dark chocolate orbs, suddenly getting a lot closer as he crouched down to check.

“Either one lucky girl or he meant to keep her alive.”

“That would be a first,” Chanyeol noted.

“I know. Strange, isn’t it?”

Kyuhyun lifted her with ease and carried her over to the couch. Her head fell back on the pillows. She could still feel the blood trickle down her neck.

“So you’re the girl Junsu’s been thirsting after, are you?”

Chanyeol glared at him.

“Hyung, she nearly died.”

A soft smack against his arm had him chuckling.

“Sorry, sorry. Bad vampire-joke.”

EunHee was lifted slightly, hands searching the back of her neck. A sharp gasp escaped her as fingers pressed into the sore spot where her attacker had hit her before. Thousands of tiny pinpricks spread all over her body. Like a numb leg that was waking up again.

“Better?”

As pleasant as that velvet-like voice was, she couldn’t really concentrate on it. EunHee trembled as she hesitantly raised her hand. She could move again.

“Hyung, we better hurry before she loses more blood,” Chanyeol spoke softly.

Kyuhyun nodded. EunHee’s eyes widened in panic when Kyuhyun bent down to her neck. She squeezed her eyes shut as warm lips brushed her neck.

“I’m not going to hurt you,” Kyuhyun murmured to her skin. “I just need to stop the bleeding.”

Every fiber in her being tensed up. She could feel his tongue trace the wound on her neck. “Calm down,” Chanyeol added.

“Can’t,” she choked out.

She’d just been attacked, bitten and drained by a vampire five minutes ago. Now there were two more vampires and one of those was at her injured neck. How was she supposed to calm down? She frantically tried to shove him away, failing weakly, but panic drove her on. He gripped her hands quickly and sighed heavily. He lifted his head. His eyes shone incredibly bright.

“Yeol, you try. I healed the muscles underneath the skin, but if she doesn’t calm down, I can’t heal the rest.”

Chanyeol nodded. They switched places. Kyuhyun sliding off the couch, Chanyeol leaning in over EunHee. Her pupils were blown wide, hardly seeing what was in front of her, still in a state of panic. He held still and smiled at her. A beautiful comforting smile. She tried to focus on him, on his soothing words.

“Don’t worry. You’ll be okay,” he whispered while he leaned down.

Her heart was beating fast, but now it wasn’t only panic causing it. EunHee still froze up, but tried not to flinch as she felt warm lips on her neck. Her shaking hands gripped Chanyeol’s arms while he gave small kitten-like . He didn’t leave a single spot of her neck untouched.

“There we go,” he smiled. “Bite healed.”

He lifted himself off the couch. His eyes shone as bright as Kyuhyun’s before. EunHee felt for her neck, half-scared of what she was going to find. Nothing. Her fingers slid over smooth skin. She sighed in relief and disbelief. It was nice to not feel blood flowing out of her, but the room was still swimming in front of her eyes.

“Well,” Kyuhyun muttered, touching his lips slowly. “Now we know why he kept her alive. That taste…”

Chanyeol nodded.

“I don’t think I ever tasted something this pure.”

“It’s still a mystery how he knew though. It’s not like she smells any different from other humans.”

It was a strange sight. Two gorgeous vampires sitting on her wooly carpet discussing the taste of her blood. EunHee struggled to follow their conversation, dizzy as hell.

“So he tasted it before he hunted her here? How?”

“Blood bank…”

They looked up in surprise.

“I saw him at the blood bank,” EunHee spoke quietly.

“You give blood?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Sometimes.”

“Lucky humans,” Chanyeol mumbled.

“Junsu probably stole blood there if he couldn’t get any more humans to kill.”

“No wonder we had to chase him all the way here. He had his sights set on this one.”

“Wouldn’t you?”

They were really making themselves comfortable. Chanyeol was lying down on his stomach, running his hands through the carpet. Kyuhyun was playing with the coasters on the coffee table. Obviously not planning on going anywhere. EunHee frowned, suddenly feeling on edge again.

“Uhm…”

Kyuhyun looked up. He noticed her frown and opened his mouth to ask what was wrong, when he saw her eyes widen. He jumped up. Not two seconds later did a bullet lodge itself into the floor. Exactly where Chanyeol had been just before Kyuhyun pushed him out of the way. Kyuhyun and Chanyeol flitted through the room. They were barely more than a few glimpses in the shadows. EunHee struggled to get up, only managing to prop herself up on her elbows. She flinched when she felt something move on her right and there was another shot. Again. This time behind her. She turned sharply. Too fast, gasping for air as her head spiraled out of control. A voice breathed into her ear.

“Which direction?”

“Right,” she groaned when she recognized Kyuhyun’s voice.

Chanyeol swirled out of sight.

“Now?” Kyuhyun urged.

“Kitchen!”

There was sound of a struggle. They heard the clash of shattered dishes and the loud cry of someone. EunHee froze. Kyuhyun stood up from where he’d crouched by EunHee.

“Yeol?”

“All good,” it came from the kitchen.

Chanyeol showed up, puffing his cheeks a little in annoyance.

“The bastard really snuck up on us, hyung.”

Behind him the unmistakable flicker of flames lit up.

“Who was it?”

“One of Junsu’s lackeys.”

“Stay with the girl. I’ll check the area to see if anyone else is hanging around.”

Kyuhyun vanished, the apartment door thudding lightly from being opened and closed again. Chanyeol stooped down at the couch, staring at EunHee for a while. He smiled.

“You okay?”

“So tired.”

It came out as a small whine and he chuckled.

“Don’t worry. You can rest now. We’ve had enough surprises for one night.”

EunHee sunk back down in the pillows. She closed her eyes, willing those black spots in front her eyes away. Chanyeol stayed put, gazing at EunHee while she rested, but keeping his guard up for any suspicious sounds.