Chapter 4

Safe

When Kyuhyun came back, he was drenched from spending too much time in the fog. He noticed Chanyeol’s questioning look, but shook his head.

“Nothing. Junsu probably didn’t want to share his little secret with too many fellow vampires.”

“He never liked sharing.”

Kyuhyun nodded. He looked around for the bathroom, searching for a towel to dry off. Chanyeol sat exactly where he’d left him when he came back. Sitting on the fluffy carpet, leaning against the couch where EunHee was sleeping. Kyuhyun plunked himself down next to him.

“You okay?” he asked while he towel-dried his hair.

“Hyung,” Chanyeol spoke softly. “Can we keep her?”

Kyuhyun stopped his movements.

“What?”

“Please?”

His huge brown eyes looked at his hyung pleadingly.

“We can’t keep a human with us, Yeol. Too dangerous.”

“Hyung…”

Kyuhyun sighed. He put the towel down and looked at his dongsaeng who was scarily serious about this.

“Why?”

“You saw her, hyung. She’s not like any other human.”

Kyuhyun hummed.

“True, it’s strange how she seems to notice our kind. She found us through the fog. She sensed Junsu’s lackey before we did. She even noticed Junsu at the blood bank and I can’t imagine any vampire ever letting himself be seen there. Not even by humans.”

“She can be useful, hyung.”

Kyuhyun snorted.

“As a snack?”

Chanyeol made a face.

“Hyung, quit joking. Like we’d ever feed off a human without their permission.”

“Ah, want her permission, do you?” Kyuhyun grinned.

“Hyung!”

Kyuhyun laughed softly. He could never resist teasing his dongsaeng.

“Fine, you want her along. I’m not saying she couldn’t be useful. She already saved our once. And if she does give permission… Well, I’m not denying I wouldn’t mind another taste.”

His eyes glittered and he ran his tongue along his fangs for a moment.

“But she’s human, Yeol. Do you really think it’s wise to expose her to our world? Even more then she already has been?”

Chanyeol stubbornly crossed his arms.

“I want to keep her.”

“Chanyeol-ah, she’s not a pet.”

“Hyung, I like her. There’s something different about her.”

Kyuhyun hesitated. Chanyeol used the best puppy-eyed look he had and Kyuhyun sighed.

“Fine, fine. But you’ll be responsible for her safety.”

Chanyeol grinned widely.

“Does that mean I can keep her?”

EunHee shifted a little on the couch. Her hand tapped Chanyeol sharply on the head.

“I’m not a pet, you idiot,” she mumbled tiredly.

Chanyeol’s mouth fell open. Kyuhyun burst out in laughter.

“Oh, now we’re definitely keeping her,” chuckled Kyuhyun.