Chapter 2

Safe

EunHee kicked off her heels the moment she walked into her apartment. She closed the door behind her and rubbed her neck tiredly. She was exhausted.

The long drive home hadn’t been easy. The fog was so thick she needed all her attention to stay on the road and her heart just wouldn’t calm down. She kept jumping at every sound and movement. Her mind seemed to have a lot of fun playing tricks on her. She kept feeling like there was something there, following her.

“Nothing a good night sleep won’t fix,” she sighed.

She padded to the kitchen for something to drink when something caught her attention. A sound so soft you couldn’t even call it a sound. She froze, unsure how to react. But before she could investigate, something hit her in the back. The sheer force of it knocked her to the ground. She screamed in reflex, but a hand suddenly clamped shut.

There was someone in her apartment. Someone was attacking her! Her already tense mind went into full panic mode. She flailed, kicked and tried to bite, but it was like a concrete block had been dropped onto her back. EunHee struggled desperately, trying to pry the hand away from so she could scream for help. Her attacker kept pressing her down to the ground. Not even giving her a chance to budge. His other hand caught hold of , pulling her backwards. Her back was straining painfully. She was struggling to breathe. She caught a glimpse of him then, nearly choking in shock.

His eyes glowed unnaturally bright. And he was smirking at her, revealing some very sharp teeth. No, she couldn’t call those teeth. Those were fangs.

Her mind went blank.

She felt a sharp pinch at the back of her neck and all her energy flowed away. Her arms, her legs, she couldn’t move. Not even her voice worked anymore. Her attacker turned her over and smirked. EunHee could only stare at those bright cold eyes in fear. What had he done? Why couldn’t she move? And what the hell was he? Her freaked out mind was giving her an explanation, but she didn’t want to believe it. Not when it was staring her in the face, not when it was this close. He straddled her, not even bothering to restrain her wrists now that she couldn’t move anymore. Hot tears slid down her face.

He bent down to her neck. EunHee squeezed her eyes shut. This wasn’t real. This wasn’t happening. He a stripe down her neck and EunHee felt her stomach churn.

“I’ve been looking for you, pretty one,” he murmured in her ear. “You’ve been very hard to find.”

fell open in a soundless scream as his fangs suddenly pierced through her skin. Reality really knew how to kick her in the gut. A vampire… She was being attacked by a vampire. The swallowing noises at her neck, the slow agonizing pull of her blood,… She felt sick. If she had any strength left, she would have puked. Her head was spinning. Just as she was seeing dark spots in front of her eyes, he pulled away, the blood of his lips.

“It’s true,” he breathed in awe, his face showing an expression of pure ecstasy. “Your blood really is the rarest of your kind.”

She was so unbelievably scared and horrified. Tears kept falling down her face. He stared at her neck as if it was made out of candy, slowly his lips again.

“I can’t believe I found such a rare thing. I can’t believe I found something so pure.”

He bent down to her neck again. EunHee was screaming inside, unable to do anything to stop him.

“You’re mine. Mine, forever.”

Just as his fangs grazed her neck again, his body jerked up violently.

He hissed furiously and pulled a dagger out of his side. His head snapped to the door of the apartment.

“You!”

“Me,” grinned the man at the door evilly before stepping inside.

EunHee looked on in shock as she recognized him. That silk brown hair and intense look in his eyes; the man from the alleys. How did he get here?

“Kyuhyun,” he hissed angrily. “I should have known. Where’s that little runt-brother of yours?”

Kyuhyun’s eyes lit up in the same unnatural glow as the bleeding vampire. Anger sparked in them, but he smirked.

“Yah, Chanyeol-ah, did you hear what he called you?”

“I did,” someone huffed. “That’s not very nice, Junsu.”

Another pair of bright glowing eyes showed up from the shadows of the apartment. Chanyeol casually walked up to Junsu, aiming to pull him off EunHee. Junsu swiped the bloodied dagger at him. He dodged and scowled at him.

“Well, that’s not very nice either.”

EunHee blinked dazedly. Tall and lean. So there was the other one from the alley. Did they follow her here?

“Stay out of this, she’s mine.”

Kyuhyun chuckled dryly.

“I don’t think she agreed to that.”

He pulled another dagger and it flashed silver when he attacked. Junsu shot off EunHee.

Their movements were unnatural. So fast it could hardly be seen.

They constantly circled each other. Junsu attacking Kyuhyun, switching to Chanyeol when he got too close and back again. The two moved with him. Careful and concentrated, but with a lazy confidence that said they weren’t going to let him get away. They were so in sync, it almost seemed as if they could sense each other’s thoughts. And they were starting to get fed up with the dancing around. A few well-placed hits had Junsu staggering.

“Give it up, Junsu.”

Junsu’s dagger nearly clipped Kyuhyun’s arm and Chanyeol’s jaw set angrily.

“Enough of this.”

Chanyeol’s foot shot out and hit Junsu square in the chest. Kyuhyun quickly bent low and swiped Junsu’s feet out from under him before he had a chance to recover. They threw Junsu to the floor. He was snarling and cursing at them, but they pinned him down with lethal precision.

There was a shriek and suddenly the whole apartment lit up with flickering light. EunHee felt the heat of the flames even from across the room. The stench of burning got in her nose. It stayed quiet for a while, while the body of the vampire went up in flames.