Chapter 4

Someone Like You

Hyun Ae headed to the coffee shop and waited for Cho Hee to arrive. Soon enough, a lady about her height walked in, wearing sunglasses and clutching a handbag. The lady scanned the coffee shop for a minute and then spotted Hyun Ae. She walked towards her booth and introduced herself, "Hi, I'm Cho Hee. You must be Hyun Ae?" and held out her hand. 

Hyun Ae shook it and bowed. 

"Ani, no need to be so polite with me," Cho Hee said with a soft smile. 

No wonder why she's getting married. She's so cheerful and nice. Her husband must be lucky.

Cho Hee seated herself across Hyun Ae and called a waitress over. "I'll have an espresso, please. You, Hyun Ae?"

Wow, she's so nice.  "Ahh, I'm not really thirsty, I'm fine." 

"Aigoo, you don't need to be shy. This is on me. I know you want something."

"Ne, I'll just have a caramel macchiato. Thanks." When the waitress left, Hyun Ae once again thanked Cho Hee. 

Cho Hee smiled. "No problem. So, about the wedding. I was thinking...."

And with that, the two immersed themselves in brainstorming concepts for their pre-nuptial photoshoot. After about 10 minutes, the waitress came back and served their drinks. 

"Hyun Ae, it looks like you've had a lot of experience with wedding photoshoots," Cho Hee remarked. 

"Ah, aniyo, I just really love my profession. I've been to a couple of weddings before and I was always inspired by the joy of the occasion. Also, I look things up online from time to time." Yeah, on Tumblr. HAHAHA.

"So, if you don't own your own business or anything, how did you get all your equipment? I assume you DO have equipment...?"

What? I assume? Okay this chick better be kidding. Which reminds me, I need to check on my equipment. I still haven't unpacked them. Haaaaa....... "Oh, that. Well I used to get allowance from my parents and once in a while I'd get paid to take some photos. I saved up all my money to get them. In the future though, I plan to finally own my own studio. At the moment, I work for a company."

"Eh? I thought you didn't work," Cho Hee remarked, surprised. 

"Well I only started working a couple of days ago when I got here in Korea. I came from photography school America and came back home to pursue my career."

"Really? Well that's nice. I think you are the perfect choice. You have an educational background in photography, you're well-equipped, and your concepts seem very creative. I'll talk about this with my fiancee and I'll call you as soon as we make a decision."

Cho Hee stood up and handed her phone to Hyun Ae. "Plug in your number."

Hyun Ae took it from her hands and did as requested. "Text or call me anytime." 

"Thank you so much, Hyun Ae." With that, Cho Hee turned and left. 

Wow, I can't believe it. I've barely been here a week and already I have an additional job? 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Everyday at work was torture for Hyun Ae. Seeing Jonghyun everyday was everything she'd ever hope for.....but at the very thing she would avoid. She couldn't let herself fall. Again. She didn't want to make a fool of herself. Again. 

One night, Hyun Ae and Jonghyun both decided to stay late at work, unaware of each other's prescence. 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonghyun

AIISHH, this is so much work! This is what I get for being a part of a rich family. A rich, snobby family who unfortunately controls every aspect of my life. The same family who took true love away from me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hyun Ae.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I loved her so much it hurt.

 

 

 

"Jonghyun, we need to talk," his mom said. 

"You know that we want you to take over the business, right?" his father started.

"In order for this to happen, we need to start training you and getting you ready for the position. You will come to the office after school from now on to learned more about the photography business."

"But...what about my time with Hyun Ae? Do I get to spend time with her? She's my girlfriend, I can't just not see her." Jonghyun pleaded.

His parents looked at each other and nodded. 

"That's the other thing..." his mother started saying.

"A friend of ours owns a modeling company/agency and he proposed that the merge of our companies would be very beneficial. But he has a condition. He has a daughter, his only child, and....they believe you are the perfect one for their daughter."

"WHAT?! It's not your choice who I marry, nor is it theirs, nor is it anyone's! IT'S MINE! And I haven't even met this chick. What if she's a ? What if she's demanding and pushy and materialistic?!"

"Jonghyun, honey, calm down. We've met her, and she is a very nice girl. She's a very successful model here in Korea as well as the U.S. Maybe you've heard of her? Park Cho Hee?"

"Doesn't ring a bell."

His father sighed. "You need to break up with Hyun Ae."

"WHAT?! THAT'S THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING I HAVE EVER HEARD. Who said I was going to marry her?"

"I....we did." his father said. 

Jonghyun began to protest, but his mother stopped him. "You must understand, this is essential, for the expansion of the company and the betterment of our future."

"Our future? Or yours? All you want is MONEY MONEY MONEY. You've never thought of my own happiness!"

"KIM JONGHYUN, YOU WILL MARRY HER, WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. IF YOU CONTINUE YOU RELATIONSHIP WITH HYUN AE, I WILL MAKE HER LIFE A LIVING HELL."

 

Jonghyun's phone chimed and snapped him out of his reverie. 

Jagiya~

Staying late at work again? Aigoo, you always stay late. Have you eaten yet? 

I could bring you some food, if you want.

Jonghyun smiled. She cared so much. If only he cared as much as well. If only this wasn't an arranged marriage. 

I hate acting like I care. 

He replied:

Ani, I'm okay. I just got some food. Take care.

"Jonghyun-ah! Have you been eating recently? You look so underfed!" Hyun Ae exclaimed. 

Jonghyun decided to take her to a restaurant for a quick dinner date. 

"I'm fine, don't worry. Just....tired." Jonghyun needed to tell Hyun Ae something. He just didn't know how.

"Wae? What's going on?"

"My parents....well, they want me to lead the company after graduation. They're making me stay late nights at the office and do some paperwork."

"Omo! That's too much! Do you want me to talk to them? I'll tell them----"

"Ani, Hyun Ae, I.....we can't be together anymore. "

Hyun Ae just sat there, unsure of what she had heard. She opened to say something, but found herself running. 

She just kept running. 

Break up? Hyun Ae couldn't imagine it. 

"Hyun Ae!" Jonghyun yelled while chasing after her. "Let me explain!"

Hyun Ae wouldn't hear any of it. She just kept running. 

"HYUN AE!!!"

Jonghyun pounded on the table in frustration. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hyun Ae

SMACK.

Hyun Ae jumped from her chair. She swore she heard something. Where was it from? Hyun Ae cautiously walked around the floor for about 5 minutes before coming across Jonghyun's office. The light was on. 

He's still here. 

Reluctantly, she knocked on his door and opened it. 

Jonghyun stared at her, confused. 

"It's late." they said simultaneously. 

"You. Did you hear something earlier?" Hyun Ae asked, straightforward. 

"Hear what?" 

"Don't joke with me. You heard it. A pounding noise."

Jonghyun laughed. "Pounding noise?"

"YAH! WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING?!"

"Sorry, that was me. I, uhh, dropped something heavy on my table."

"Oh. Alright then. I'll leave you to your paperwork." Hyun Ae turned around and shut his office door. Ten seconds later, it opened.

"Hyun Ae."

She turned around to face him. 

"It's pretty late, and uh, if you haven't had dinner yet, we could eat together."

"No thanks, I'm fine. I brought food with me and ate it earlier. You can go eat dinner by yourself." With that, she strode away, leaving Jonghyun hanging. 

As if I'm going to have dinner with you.

Since Jonghyun was also at the office, Hyun Ae found no reason to stay. She saved her edited photos on her computer, gathered her things, and left as soon as she could. 

"We can't be together anymore." 

Those words rang out loud and clear in Hyun Ae's mind. 

The ring, his promise, his actions, their memories. And he's going to end it, just like that? 

Tired of running, Hyun Ae hailed a cab and told him to take her home. She didn't want to  be anywhere else at the moment. 

When she opened the door, crying and a mess, her older brother Kai was there. 

"Hyun Ae! What happened?!"

"O-oppa....he....doesn't love me anymore."

Kai pulled her in for a tight hug. "If you need to talk about it, I'm here."

The next few days were agonizing. Hyun Ae skipped school, hardly left her room, hardly ate anything. She looked as if she could die at any moment.

Funny, that's what she wanted to happen. 

Her bedroom door opened. 

"Leave me alone, Kai."

"It's not Kai, it's Eun Mi."

Hyun Ae looked up and faced her best friend. 

"Hyun Ae, you look horrible. What happened?"

"He......he doesn't love me anymore."

"J...Jonghyun? I...." Eun Mi was at a loss for words. She had no idea how to comfort her best friend. 

Hyun Ae arrived at the condo, tired and hungry. 

"Where were you? It's 9:30," Eun Mi asked.

"Work. Had to edit some photos before submitting them."

"Hungry? I cooked some food. Help yourself."

"Thanks." Hyun Ae dropped her bag on the couch and headed straight to the kitchen. Once her plate was filled, she seated herself next to Eun Mi. 

The room was filled with an awkard silence. 

Hyun Ae's phoned chimed in her bag and she ran to get it. 

"Who's that?" Eun Mi shouted.

"Text message from Cho Hee."

"Cho Hee? You know Cho Hee?"

"Yeah, do you know her? She's the one who asked me to be the photographer for her wedding."

"THEY'RE GETTING MARRIED?!" Eun Mi exclaimed.

"Whoa whoa whoa, calm down I don't even know who's her fiancee.."

Eun Mi stared at her best friend, wide-eyed. "I do."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DUN DUN DUN

LOL thank you new subscribers~

School starts tomorrow, so I don't know how often I can update :/

BUT YOU WILL ALL WAIT PATIENTLY RIGHT

YOU WILL

WAIT

PATIENTLY